It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

If you love action-packed titles with adrenaline jumps on a cosmic scale, you should enjoy this week’s Weekly Sale on GOG.COM with discounts reaching up to 90%. Promo consists of many first-person shooter games set in Sci-Fi worlds, where new technology meets with an old-fashioned rumble.

Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior (-50%) is another game from the series based on tabletop games by Games Workshop. As a young T’au warrior, you must face the mighty human-build Empire, which shows no mercy to aliens. Using one of the 15 available weapons you must fight your way through chaos and destruction.

Hard Reset Redux (-90%) is a cyberpunk-themed FPP created by Polish studio Flying Wild Hog. In this game there’s practically no stop to the action sequences. Cyborg Zombies that attack you from every corner can be destroyed not only with guns. You can slice them using a weapon highly effective in close combat - the Cyber-Katana.

Check out the Weekly Sale on GOG.COM and buy even more titles filled with tons of explosive action. The Promo ends on 2nd December 2019, at 2 PM UTC.
low rated
Mr.Mumbles: You're right. That should be changed to "highly forgettable/skippable". ;)
Dohoho...we got a live one here, boys.
low rated
GameRager:
It is not that bad of a game but there is absolutely no reason for it to be called Unreal other than trying to ride the fame of the name. I could count the things in it related to the Unreal universe on one hand.

If you take it as just a generic sci-fi shooter, it is passable. The only saving grace are the badass looking Skaarj.
Post edited November 27, 2019 by idbeholdME
idbeholdME: Grabbed Daikatana. No reason not to at this price.
GameRager: Agreed
Also agreed, grabbed.

eiii: The Unreal games have (re-)joined the sale, for less than a Dollar. Just grab them, when you do not already have them!
Done, you're right, thanks for the info!
low rated
idbeholdME: It is not that bad of a game but there is absolutely no reason for it to be called Unreal other than trying to ride the fame of the name. I could count the things in it related to the Unreal universe on one hand.

If you take it as just a generic sci-fi shooter, it is passable. The only saving grace are the badass looking Skaarj.
The whole first game was generic scifi(albeit with some unique elements)....and this game also had a good number of those elements to some degree. As such, I consider it within the same universe and fitting of the title....even if some like you disagree. ;)
I am ready for the Big Sale. MATRIX GAMES is ahead of GOG as of right now!
up to 90% off!
GameRager: The whole first game was generic scifi(albeit with some unique elements)....and this game also had a good number of those elements to some degree. As such, I consider it within the same universe and fitting of the title....even if some like you disagree. ;)
I'm talking about how it fits with the rest of the games. Even in the Unreal Tournament games, you can still at a glance say they are from the same universe. Recurring characters, weapons, names etc. Not so in Unreal 2.

Let's see for Unreal 2:

1) Skaarj - probably the only thing that actually makes you remember you are playing an Unreal game from time to time.
2) Dispersion Pistol - name only, otherwise absolutely different.
3) Some corporation names from Unreal Tournament.

And that's about it for things relevant to Unreal. Most weapons lost their character and got replaced by generic FPS counterparts. The movement speed of both you and enemies is terribly slow. Overemphasis on story and huge gaps in action between every mission resulting in very limited replayability.

I don't have a problem with the game itself (I'd give it a 7/10) but just that it is called Unreal.

I also just skimmed through the Unreal wiki and found out that it was even officially confirmed by the game producer (Glen Dahlgren) that it is in a different universe from the other Unreal games. Had it been named anything else, it would have been absolutely fine with me.
Oh, by the way.
GOG.com: Hard Reset Redux (-90%) is a cyberpunk-themed FPP created by Polish studio Flying Wild Hog.
I often see this "FPP" tag on GOG, but I don't get what it stands for.

First person pewpew? :|
OHMYGODJCABOMB: Oh, by the way.
GOG.com: Hard Reset Redux (-90%) is a cyberpunk-themed FPP created by Polish studio Flying Wild Hog.
OHMYGODJCABOMB: I often see this "FPP" tag on GOG, but I don't get what it stands for.

First person pewpew? :|
It usually stands for First Person Perspective. But it doesn't make sense in the news text. FPS would have been a much better choice here.
low rated
idbeholdME: I'm talking about how it fits with the rest of the games. Even in the Unreal Tournament games, you can still at a glance say they are from the same universe. Recurring characters, weapons, names etc. Not so in Unreal 2.
It still seems like an Unreal game....as in it doesn't seem vastly out of place/setting from the other games, and features some elements from prior games.

idbeholdME: Let's see for Unreal 2:

1) Skaarj - probably the only thing that actually makes you remember you are playing an Unreal game from time to time.
2) Dispersion Pistol - name only, otherwise absolutely different.
3) Some corporation names from Unreal Tournament.
So then how much MUST a game have(in your opinion) to be an "actual" unreal/etc game? 50%? 45%? Because all that and the scifi theme/setting makes it seem like an unreal game to me.

idbeholdME: Most weapons lost their character and got replaced by generic FPS counterparts. The movement speed of both you and enemies is terribly slow.
Using generic weapons and slowing down players and enemies doesn't make it not an unreal game, though.
(Or were you just mentioning things you disliked about the game?)

idbeholdME: Overemphasis on story and huge gaps in action between every mission resulting in very limited replayability.
Ditto, and also what's wrong(if you're implying such) with emphasis on story and/or how would that make it less of an unreal game?
(And there was some action between missions in the form of interactions on the ship, which I personally found to be somewhat enjoyable(well the PC version, that is...not the gimped console version).

idbeholdME: I don't have a problem with the game itself (I'd give it a 7/10) but just that it is called Unreal.
Ok then.

idbeholdME: I also just skimmed through the Unreal wiki and found out that it was even officially confirmed by the game producer (Glen Dahlgren) that it is in a different universe from the other Unreal games.
Is that officially confirmed by the company/other devs or just him musing on it?

Also if true then it is an unreal game, just set in an alternate unreal universe.
Post edited November 27, 2019 by GameRager
GameRager: It still seems like an Unreal game....as in it doesn't seem vastly out of place/setting from the other games, and features some elements from prior games.
Some 3 elements, 2 of which are text only, that I listed below. I am a huge Unreal fan and simply felt nothing most of the time it took me to finish the game.

GameRager: So then how much MUST a game have(in your opinion) to be an "actual" unreal/etc game? 50%? 45%? Because all that and the scifi theme/setting makes it seem like an unreal game to me.
More than one enemy type and a few names would be a start.

GameRager: Using generic weapons and slowing down players and enemies doesn't make it not an unreal game, though.
(Or were you just mentioning things you disliked about the game?)
Partly things I disliked and partly how it has pretty much no similarities with the Unreal universe/games. The weapons have no character and are not reminiscent of any of the previous weapons. Remove the Skaarj and there is actually nothing.

GameRager: Ditto, and also what's wrong(if you're implying such) with emphasis on story and/or how would that make it less of an unreal game?
(And there was some action between missions in the form of interactions on the ship, which I personally found to be somewhat enjoyable(well the PC version, that is...not the gimped console version).
Not the emphasis on the story itself. The problem is that nothing in the story felt like it has anything to do with Unreal.

GameRager: Is that officially confirmed by the company/other devs or just him musing on it?

Also if true then it is an unreal game, just set in an alternate unreal universe.
The wiki claims that it was posted on November 9, 2002. The source site is now defunct (www.beyondunreal.com) and the information was retrieved by Unreal wiki on April 19, 2019.

Unreal in name only. That is the problem. As I said numerous times, it has basically nothing to do with the other Unreal games resulting in the feeling of playing a completely disconnected game.
low rated
idbeholdME: Some 3 elements, 2 of which are text only, that I listed below. I am a huge Unreal fan and simply felt nothing most of the time it took me to finish the game.
If you count the basic scifi elements that both games and much scifi shares then there is a bit more, imo.

idbeholdME: More than one enemy type and a few names would be a start.
Fair enough.

idbeholdME: Partly things I disliked and partly how it has pretty much no similarities with the Unreal universe/games. The weapons have no character and are not reminiscent of any of the previous weapons. Remove the Skaarj and there is actually nothing.
Well nothing but the basic scifi stuff in all the games/most scifi and a few other things.

idbeholdME: The wiki claims that it was posted on November 9, 2002. The source site is now defunct (www.beyondunreal.com) and the information was retrieved by Unreal wiki on April 19, 2019.

Unreal in name only. That is the problem. As I said numerous times, it has basically nothing to do with the other Unreal games resulting in the feeling of playing a completely disconnected game.
So it's less an objective thing and more a subjective opinion...that seems fair, even if I disagree due to my own opinion and other factors(as mentioned above/etc).
GameRager:
Yes, this is obviously just a divergence of opinion. I am putting in a point of view of an Unreal universe fan.
low rated
idbeholdME: Yes, this is obviously just a divergence of opinion. I am putting in a point of view of an Unreal universe fan.
I am as well....albeit of BOTH universes. :)
GameRager: Daikatana(not as bad as people claim, and most major bugs are gone in gog's version),
Ixoliptis: You need to take the deserved hate of Daikatana in the context of its time. It was an AAA game that was released with a gazillion of bugs that got hyped to another dimension, which was released by an otherwise very respected game developer (John Romero).

It's easy to look past the negatives of the game when it costs less than a bottle of water.

Having said that ,outside that context, I also liked the game.
And there was that ad for it in magazines.. John Romero has your balls, or something like that. They say any publicity is good publicity, but I'm not too sure.