It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

**Edit, I was down voted into oblivion and I wanted to apologize for being deeply unpopular. I only have 1 rep at the time of writing this and I really wanted to get it a bit higher. Would you please consider removing the down votes?
Post edited January 24, 2021 by marsattakx
high rated
Gudadantza: Fine or not fine the problem here is that some people would prefer to boycott the store itself instead, if that walkng simulator is NOT availabe here, based in conspiracy theories and overreactions. And that only to mention the Devotion case.
What legitimate reason would GOG have to pull the game globally (rather than just in China), and then totally ignore literally thousands of users who are calling for it's release? You think those thousands of ignored users don't have a legitimate complaint? No, the problem here is fanboys like you who will blindly defend GOG, regardless of their actions and how unethical they may be.

Gudadantza: Another demential fact is that It is being pushed the demand to retire some games under subjective visions. Why should not be valid the same for those games? If you dislike the state of those games then boycott them, do not purchase them.
But some of you prefer to boycot the interests of rest of users here.
I don't think it is that subjective. To me, it is very objective. A game either contains DRM or it doesn't. There is really no grey area - a game can't half have DRM. GOG is a DRM-free game store that markets itself as being 100% DRM-free. Therefore, games that contain DRM do not belong here. To me, this is very simple logic. GOG is a store that has built itself on a foundation of championing certain principles. Therefore, I think it is totally reasonable for customers to protest, if GOG are allowing those principles to be eroded.

As for going against the interests of other users like yourself: I don't believe that GOG eroding it's DRM-free values will be in the long-term interest of the store or its users. If you want to buy DRMed games, why can't you buy them on Steam or somewhere else? Why do you need to buy them on GOG?

Do you want a conspiracy? Who is the beneficiary of this agenda if some high seller games are retired from gog? Crystal clear for me.
Sorry. All of this is too unfair and cynic for me.
The beneficiary will be the DRM-free movement and ultimately GOG, because they will be sticking to their core principles and preserving their one and only unique selling point, without which they won't possibly be able to compete with Steam, Epic anyway.

To say it is 'unfair' for some customers to boycott is ridiculous. We have every right to decide whether or not to spend our money here and to withhold that expenditure if we see that GOG is going in a direction that we find unacceptable. If you are entitled to your opinion, then we are entitled to ours.
low rated
Defending that a game has DRM because of some preorder extras not part of the main game is pure subjectivity. And all of this is based in it.

And based on it, demand to retire some games from the store is unrealistic and everybody knows which is the real intention when some demands are unrealistic.

Do you think that GOG might Retire Wasteland 3 in the future?, Cyberpunk?, No man's Sky? based in a vague DRM interpretations? in exchange of a game that nobody knew before the free publicity.

It is not a very believable future. So Be lucky with your forever boycott.

I would be capable of defending Satan if I am convinced that that he did not make any wrong. And that is the key of all of this. It is based in nothing or in too litle. A leaded snowball.

And do not worry. If some day GOG has DRM FOR REAL I will be the first guy to be critical with it, with my wallet specifically. Silently.
Post edited January 24, 2021 by Gudadantza
high rated
Gudadantza: And do not worry. If some day GOG has DRM FOR REAL I will be the first guy to be critical with it, with my wallet specifically. Silently.
It's been pointed out a few times before that a lot of us are worried that's where GOG is heading on its current trajectory so we want to let GOG know how we feel about it now before it's too late. If you don't like us talking about it perhaps you could read a different thread?

Besides, even if it is subjective like you say, it's DRM to me which I find unacceptable from a shop who promised they were against it.
the store has grown by being No drm. This is not going to change. Still there are many things to improve. Gog galaxy seems stagnant and it does not make sense that it is oriented towards the online if there is drm. It's stupid. But they don't listen to users.

By the way, steam has integrated denuvo into steak works.
I got an honest question for you all:

What is DRM for you?

Hear me out, hear me out before you get off screaming at me, please!

As far as I understand DRM stands for Digital Rights Managment - meaning you do not buy the actual product itself you buy an limited license to acess that content.

Platforms like our all "beloved" and well known steam is a DRM platform - meaning as sated in their EULA . Citation: "Square Enix grants to you the non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to install and use one (1) copy of the Game Software on one (1) computer hard drive at any given time solely for your personal use (the “License”). All rights not specifically granted under this License are hereby reserved by Square Enix and, as applicable, by its licensors. The Game Software is licensed to you, not sold. This License does not give you any title or ownership in the Game Software, and should not be construed as a sale or transfer of any intellectual property or other rights to the Game Software."

So steam clearly states they do not sell you the product they kind of lend it to you: meaning if you loose access to your steam account it is gone - all of it. If (very unlikly) steam goes out of business or decides to discontinue for any reason you loose your "limited right and lincense to install and use" has come to an end. The DRM form on steam is to ways as far as I understand (and I am no expert). First: Steam conects your games to your personl account and you only can access and start your games via the steam client. Second steam always verifies your game files.

What does this mean for me as a gamer now in practise. I can download the game files. I can copy the game files but I need always an Internet connection and the steam client on the device I want to play on. So far so good we all know this so why do I point this out here again? Well I really want to highlight the diffrence to GOG here.

The Galaxy 2.0 client is first of all still optional. You don't need it to download any games from GOG at all. You can still download it all from their gog.com website (no problems).
Secondly and this is probably the most important thing, even if I downloaded it via the Galaxy client it is still not mandatory to launch the game with the galaxy client. I can go in the game files and launch the game from there. I do not need an internet access, I do not need an verification via the client. I could install and unistall the launcher every time I buy a new game and I would have the same game files on my PC as if I did it via the gog website. I can back the file up - no problems. So, the games are still DRM free even when I use the client. The client for me personally is simple a convenience and as for free games only available when you use the client... You could install the client get the game, download it and uninstall the client and it would work. Sure you can argue it's a push tactic of gog towards their client, but since their clientdoes not have the same drawbacks as fr example the steam client I personally dont see a big issue in using it in the first place.

In comparison to steams eula gog's EULA states e.g. "In the very unlikely situation that we have to stop running GOG we'll do our best to give you advance notice, so that you can download and safely store all your DRM-free content."
So here I can legally use all my bought and downloaded games even after they would go out of business.

That is the closest you can get nowadays to owning a good old game disc in the good old days imo.

So if DRM is the restriction of where and how you can launch your game and the restriction of personally backing up your game files - than GOG imo is DRM free. I can do that with every game I own.

Is DRM the restriction that you can't get some cosmetic (non game essential items) without multiplayer mode for example but otherwise can play the whole game just fine (and back it up and launch it in flight mode) - just not with this fancy virtual sword or hat or whatever? I dont think thats the case.

The question remains now... What is DRM and what is DRM for you? If we can clear that up we can come to an common ground if GOG is infringing their core principles or if we just might not agree on some gamedev practices nowadays. (And yeah I hate loot boxes, in game purchases and cosemtic add on bullshit via multiplayer. I am totally against that but they have nothing to do with DRM imo.)
high rated
The_Puppet94: What does this mean for me as a gamer now in practise. I can download the game files. I can copy the game files but I need always an Internet connection and the steam client on the device I want to play on.
That is incorrect. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of DRM-free games on Steam that you can play without the steam client and without an internet connection, once you have downloaded them. Here is a link to some lists: https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games (click on the first [Expand]).

The_Puppet94: The Galaxy 2.0 client is first of all still optional. You don't need it to download any games from GOG at all. You can still download it all from their gog.com website (no problems).
That is also incorrect. Assuming you want your games to be up to date, which most people do. There are, at this moment, tens of games on GOG that are up to date on Galaxy, but are not up to date in the offline installers, and some of these have been in this state for weeks, if not months. If you want all your games to be up to date, Galaxy is no longer optional. Here is a list: https://airtable.com/shrldLsErlUf3eHqS/tbltXjS8fxEGG11eD (some of the items on the list, especially towards the end, are false positive, but there are more than enough that are not).

The_Puppet94: Is DRM the restriction that you can't get some cosmetic (non game essential items) without multiplayer mode for example but otherwise can play the whole game just fine (and back it up and launch it in flight mode) - just not with this fancy virtual sword or hat or whatever? I dont think thats the case.
I respect that you "dont think thats the case". Other people do think that's the case. And I don't see in your argument anything that makes your opinion more convincing than theirs. Nobody claims that No Man's Sky or Absolver or CP2077 are fully DRMed, but for some people even if 0.00001% of the game is DRMed that's enough, for that still insists on calling itself DRM-free. You may see it differently and that's ok, but it doesn't make their opinion less valid.
Post edited January 24, 2021 by mrkgnao
high rated
The_Puppet94: I got an honest question for you all: What is DRM for you?

Is DRM the restriction that you can't get some cosmetic (non game essential items) without multiplayer mode for example but otherwise can play the whole game just fine (and back it up and launch it in flight mode) - just not with this fancy virtual sword or hat or whatever? I dont think thats the case.
DRM is ultimately access control / enforcement:-

Example 1 - Bioshock Infinite had pre-order bonuses (Early Bird DLC) that were clearly DRM'd on Steam. The game was then released on GOG with Columbia's Finest DLC (basically all the same pre-order bonuses rolled into the base game). Access of those bonuses then stopped being DRM.

Example 2 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution had pre-order bonuses (Explosive Mission Pack + Tactical Enhancement Pack) that were also clearly DRM'd. The Director's Cut version was then released on GOG with same DLC (basically all the same pre-order bonuses + Missing Link) rolled into the base game. Access of those bonuses then stopped being DRM.

On the other hand, if games are being released on GOG where you now need to go online to obtain certain bonus content specifically using Galaxy due to the way it performs addition authentication / content management after the game is installed, that's obviously a form of DRM. "Needing a client" by itself may not be DRM but if that reason that you suddenly do "need" a client to access that additional content that's been made deliberately unavailable in offline installers is access control of that additional content, then that is obviously DRM.

That some deem it "only cosmetic" or "unimportant" is a separate (straw-man) argument because as seen with games like Bioshock Infinite and Deus Ex:HR, there is literally nothing whatsoever to stop publishers from including those pre-order bonuses, etc, with the game as part of the regular installer for GOG releases. And as seen with games like QUBE 2, they also provide "only cosmetic skins that are unimportant to completing the game" via a small 2MB offline installer patch in addition to Galaxy. The non-DRM "reasons" for otherwise "needing" Galaxy to authenticate and distribute content via a separate additional process from the normal install method for content that's deliberately been removed from the offline installers are completely fake, and certainly not why many people buy games here for the offline installers with the not unreasonable expectation that they'll contain all content that was paid for, and not just parts of it.
Post edited January 24, 2021 by AB2012
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. This is in response to several decisions the site has made over the past year that I believe have been deeply misguided:

Firstly, the continued slippage of GOG's DRM-free values. The promise of 100% DRM-free is what the site was originally founded on and yet GOG seem to be allowing this principle to be increasingly eroded. The games No Man's Sky and Absolver are two examples of games that include single-player DRM, which GOG is aware of and has failed to address. CDPR also seem to continue to believe the rules on GOG don't apply to their own games, firstly with Gwent and more recently the DRMed single-player rewards built into Cyberpunk. In addition, GOG's recent deal with Epic appears to be a cover for GOG to start selling DRMed games.

Next, the continued heavy pushing of Galaxy and the lack of maintenance of the offline installers. Several times in recent months, GOG has given incentives only to Galaxy users in the form of bonus content or free games. This has the effect of making non-Galaxy users feel like second-class customers. Also, there many well documented cases of GOG neglecting to update offline installers, even though they are updating the Galaxy versions, so they clearly have the updated files. This is not acceptable - offline installers are the core of the DRM-free concept. All of this points to a worrying trend which may ultimately lead to GOG abandoning offline installers entirely and making Galaxy mandatory.

Lastly, the recent debacle with Devotion. I won't repeat everything that has been said about this in other threads, but GOG's decision to be complicit in imposing Chinese censorship on non-Chinese users is simply unacceptable. The game needs to be released on GOG immediately.

Actions I would like to see GOG taking:

1) Release Devotion immediately.
2) Remove Gwent, No Man's Sky, Absolver (and any other DRMed games) from the store.
3) Remove DRM from the bonus cosmetics in Cyberpunk.
4) Cancel the deal with Epic.
5) Stop providing free games/incentives only to Galaxy users.
6) Assign adequate resources to maintenance of the offline installers.

For me to make any purchases on GOG this year, #1 needs to happen and at least a couple of the others. I.e. I want to see clear signs of a change in trajectory of the site, away from it's current misguided direction towards being a weak Steam competitor and back towards the principles it was founded on. I had been planning to spend $150-200 on GOG this year, but instead I will be spending that at Zoom Platform, to help build up a viable DRM-free alternative store.

Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?

Edit:

People who are boycotting, to whatever degree they're comfortable with:
1) Time4Tea
2) Lifthrasil
3) mrkgnao
4) joppo
5) kdgog
6) Ancient-Red-Dragon
7) ReynardFox
8) Seceroth
9) TencentInvestor
10) pearnon
11) Leevi
12) gloombandit
13) fronzelneekburm
14) MajicMan
15) Chaossaturn
16) john_hatcher
17) Grahor
18) Orkhepaj
19) rjbuffchix
20) B1tF1ghter
21) _Auster_
22) HappyPunkPotato
23) llamas
24) rtcvb32
25) Setilla
26) fr33kSh0w2012
27) Hexchild
28) GreasyDogMeat
29) GlorFindel
30) Vendor-Lazarus
31) DevotedTitan
32) Zegpi
33) gargus
34) DrearierSpider
35) WeirdoGeek
36) Zorzy
37) Kohleran
38) plagren
39) Lesser Blight Elemental
40) Captainchicken84
41) dycaite
42) Amiko Novich
43) gloombandit
44) Agent-94
45) evilprotoss
46) TrueBlueGamer
47) faldofas
48) kaileena
49) ShadowXOR
50) Adoru
51) g00dbye
52) LordJF
53) nevasith
54) TormentFan
55) ApeKing
56) Dalswyn
57) aiMute
58) lazydog
59) Shendue
60) classic-gamer
61) nevasith
62) ResidentLeever
63) nightcraw1er.488

People who are sympathetic to the concept:
1) Breja
2) TerriblePurpose
3) morolf
4) DukeNukemForever
5) McMicroDonalds
6) WinterSnowfall
7) flanner
8) Dogmaus
9) GamezRanker
10) PirroEpirote
11) Paliper
12) W3irdN3rd
13) FiatLux
14) MasterW
15) InSaintMonoxide
16) Jorev
17) TheDcoder

(current as of post #745)
Not boycotting but less buying because very disappointed by CDPR... A lot of work to regain trust.
AB2012: ...there is literally nothing whatsoever to stop publishers from including those pre-order bonuses, etc, with the game as part of the regular installer for GOG releases.
The pre-order bonus ship of NMS also has its own little offline installer. That's simply the way it should be. That GOG/CDPR of all people would lock bonus content behind a Galaxy requirement is indeed a worrying decision, and IMO completely pointless.
low rated
About the DRM free titles on Steam:

-Unprotected or not, the launcher is mandatory to install them. I you want to backup your copy you will need to make a copy of the installed folder. And won't be enough to have the game functional, It will depend of the game due to the registry entries and other stuff. It could work in a lot of games but it is only a workaround.
Galaxy at least is optional, and more flexible.

-Steam is some kind of renting, not a propietary license.

-If all of this is not important, any of this conversations have any sense.
Post edited January 24, 2021 by Gudadantza
The_Puppet94: I got an honest question for you all:
What is DRM for you?
I wont scream at you haha. As people said before, that is also DRM for me.

There's also one more thing, though.
DRM is an excuse for a failed attempt agaisn't Internet Piracy, through which they get what they want: Control over what you "buy"; imho

We may understand the "You are not buying this game, but a license to play it." but, ultimately, as it worked in the past, you're buying the "game", which means, in the end, people are buying the game to play it whenever and anyway they want.

Here's a post I've made in Steam Skyrim (Oldrim) forums a while ago about this:

"It would be nice to be able to use Steam without it's DRM's, but oh well. Probably they will never do this - because we are in the "Digital Era"..
With PS5 and Xbox X coming with Digital only options of console, well, yeah.

Only company I know that is doing this fairly with DRM free games is GOG.
You can even download a installer of each of GOG games for backup after you bought it...
Why Steam won't allow us do this?

"Piracy etc etc" Well... Piracy will keep going with or without DRM games. With DRM games, ONLY the consumers that actually buy the games suffer.

Anyways, this is just my humble opinion."
Post edited January 24, 2021 by D.Keys
mrkgnao: That is incorrect. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of DRM-free games on Steam that you can play without the steam client and without an internet connection, once you have downloaded them. Here is a link to some lists: https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games (click on the first [Expand]).
Ok we can agree, there are some DRM free games on steam. However the majority is not DRM free on steam sadly.

mrkgnao: That is also incorrect. Assuming you want your games to be up to date, which most people do. There are, at this moment, tens of games on GOG that are up to date on Galaxy, but are not up to date in the offline installers, and some of these have been in this state for weeks, if not months. If you want all your games to be up to date, Galaxy is no longer optional. Here is a list: https://airtable.com/shrldLsErlUf3eHqS/tbltXjS8fxEGG11eD (some of the items on the list, especially towards the end, are false positive, but there are more than enough that are not).
Thank you for the list! This wasn't really on my radar at all since I use the Galaxy launcher and I personally don't see a problem in it using it since it is imo not harming the DRM status of games per se in any case. As I mentioned before, I still can backup any game I downloaded from the launcher the same way as if I downloaded it from gog.com directly and that is what I personally value the most and makes a game DRM-free for me.
Further, games beeing up to date is something I care about for freshly launched games, since older or old games mostly don't get many updates anyway and are in general in a state where you can play them without any regular updates anyways.
We can agree that it would be good practice from gog, to update the gamefiles the same way outside the launcher as they do within galaxy. However my question is are there any real disadvantages besides personal preference, in using the galaxy launcher? It is for me just a convinient tool, but I am interested to see some other views on that.

mrkgnao: I respect that you "dont think thats the case". Other people do think that's the case. And I don't see in your argument anything that makes your opinion more convincing than theirs. Nobody claims that No Man's Sky or Absolver or CP2077 are fully DRMed, but for some people even if 0.00001% of the game is DRMed that's enough, for that still insists on calling itself DRM-free. You may see it differently and that's ok, but it doesn't make their opinion less valid.
My "argument" wasn't really an argument, just my own opinion. And my opinion is of course as valid and as invalid as any other opinion out there. That's why I even ask the question - what is DRM? Is there an objective definition when DRM starts? Is it DRM (or partly DRM) when I can play the game and can not get some fully irrelevant cosmetics or is it not? That is an interesting question to me. Can this issue be solved with labeling "partly DRM" products like No Man's Sky or Absolver? Would it be better to go a more strict approach and not allow these games at all here beause 0.00001% of bits are not fully DRM free (or dependend on multiplayer mode, I dont know in these specific cases, but can I keep the "Item" when I earned it in multiplayer and copy my gamefiles to an maschine without internet and still got this Item?) Would it be still "DRM/partly DRM" if I could earn these items if I choosed to do so in multiplayer and could keep them "forever" without ever touching internet connection again with this game?
D.Keys: I wont scream at you haha. As people said before, that is also DRM for me.

There's also one more thing, though.
DRM is an excuse for a failed attempt agaisn't Internet Piracy, through which they get what they want: Control over what you "buy"; imho

We may understand the "You are not buying this game, but a license to play it." but, ultimately, as it worked in the past, you're buying the "game", which means, in the end, people are buying the game to play it whenever and anyway they want.

Here's a post I've made in Steam Skyrim (Oldrim) forums a while ago about this:

"It would be nice to be able to use Steam without it's DRM's, but oh well. Probably they will never do this - because we are in the "Digital Era"..
With PS5 and Xbox X coming with Digital only options of console, well, yeah.

Only company I know that is doing this fairly with DRM free games is GOG.
You can even download a installer of each of GOG games for backup after you bought it...
Why Steam won't allow us do this?

"Piracy etc etc" Well... Piracy will keep going with or without DRM games. With DRM games, ONLY the consumers that actually buy the games suffer.

Anyways, this is just my humble opinion."
I am not a big fan of this service on demand, gamepass, PSnow or whatever these services are all called these days. I think the direction this takes is even worse than the "steam DRM license" approach. It's like netflix, or any other video streaming platform for that matter. At first it looks great, yeah you don't need to buy you just can watch whatever they have in their program for a fairly low price. But in the end you get an fragmentation of the whole supply. These are only on netflix, the next is only on amazon prime and the third idk HBO or Hulu or whatever. This fractioning gets done more and more in the PC world too, this is an exclusive here this is an exclusive there. Thats a bad development as a whole.
AS for DRM and piracy.. yeah I get thats the intention, but as you said that does not work. There will always be pirated software no matter what if I want to buy it pirated I will get it in days or weeks after the launch depending how popular the IP is. This fractioning and exclusive titles wont make this better it will get worse. If publisher would give us customers the choise where we want to buy it and if we want it with "DRM" or without, and they publish great products they will make enough sales. And people who pirate out of some weird principle will still pirate but they werent target customers in the first place.
So to sum this all up i totally agree with you :D
AB2012: ...there is literally nothing whatsoever to stop publishers from including those pre-order bonuses, etc, with the game as part of the regular installer for GOG releases.
toxicTom: The pre-order bonus ship of NMS also has its own little offline installer. That's simply the way it should be. That GOG/CDPR of all people would lock bonus content behind a Galaxy requirement is indeed a worrying decision, and IMO completely pointless.
I still remember buying a boxed GOTY version of the first Borderlands. It included a code to download the 4 DLC installers straight from Gearbox website. The codes are no longer legible, but I still have the installers stashed for any potential further use. Publishers were doing it before Steam became mainstream, so it is indeed strange that GOG of all things gates something behind a client.