It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AWG43: Also I can't find the exact post you are referring to, as well as any Zoom forums. So for now I can only rely on the post that I could find. Maybe I will change my opinion when I have better source of information. Who knows. :)
It might have been a Twitter exchange, but in my flawed human memory I remember a forum-like setting. I'd like to give reference to what I remember - and I'm sorry, but I really can't put my finger on where "the drama" took place. Perhaps someone who's followed up more closely on it can comment. I admit I haven't thought about it at all except that one time (and now, when fronzelneekburm's post reminded me of that episode) and it's not like I'm following Zoom closely anyway.
high rated
As pointed out by Doomsooth in the main Devotion thread, today is Winnie-the-Pooh day. Coincidentally, it's been a month since the day Devotion should have been released here.

@Time4Tea: I've been thinking, and I think you can upgrade me to the full boycott list. I have large enough a backlog to keep me busy before Gog wakes up.
Zoom is going to have a major hurdle with it becoming more accepted into the mainstream. It's name. When I search for Zoom, you already know what I find first. That is going to be incredibly confusing for gamers. And if the creators of the popular Zoom service that people have been using to communicate decide they want to sue the other Zoom over their name (which is probably copywritten) then it will not look good on Zoom. So first and foremost, they need to rebrand the whole damn thing.
Post edited January 19, 2021 by thefallenalchemist
Time4Tea: Yeah, absolutely. Their offline installers for the games they have seem to be every bit as good as GOG's. My hard drive doesn't care whether they come from GOG or Zoom Platform ...
TerriblePurpose: Hey, Tea. are all the games on Zoom DRM-free? I can't seem to find anything indicating any level of DRM, so I'm assuming they're all DR-free. Is this correct?
Yes, they are all DRM-free. They have no client application. It's true that they don't really advertise the fact they are DRM-free; however, they are reportedly working on a new website and I've heard they plan to make it clearer their games are 100% DRM-free.
Well, they did one thing I asked. They put games on here today. I bought Akiba's Trip because Holy shit that is awesome. That's a step in the right direction for me.
SuperLibby72: My question is what happens when Zoom Bends the knee? Why support another store? Why not Pirate?
Sure, there are no guarantees for the future. But, as others have said: why wouldn't we give them the same chance that we gave GOG initially? I will give them the benefit of the doubt, unless they actually do something to betray my trust. (Unlike a certain company that has betrayed my trust ...)

The main factor in them selling out, like GOG, would likely be if they ever become part of a public corporation. Seeing as they are not tied to a large game developer, that seems less likely than with GOG.

mrkgnao: I thought I'd keep a record of games I would definitely have bought, were it not for the boycott.

GAMES NOT BOUGHT IN 2021
(1) 18/1/21: Dread Nautical - $9.99
(2) 18/1/21: Operencia: The Stolen Sun - $14.99

Total so far: $24.98.
This is a good idea! For me, I had been planning to buy Iconoclasts and Hellpoint at full price, to support GOG (and reward the devs for releasing on Linux). However, that has now been cancelled. I was also going to buy Horizon Zero Dawn (which I very much want to play) when it drops to $30 in a sale. I saw in the last one it was still at $40, so I probably wouldn't have bought it yet. Anyway:

GAMES NOT BOUGHT IN 2021
(1) 18/1/21: Iconoclasts - $20
(2) 18/1/21: Hellpoint - $35

Total non-spend so far: $55
Post edited January 19, 2021 by Time4Tea
Dalswyn: As pointed out by Doomsooth in the main Devotion thread, today is Winnie-the-Pooh day. Coincidentally, it's been a month since the day Devotion should have been released here.

@Time4Tea: I've been thinking, and I think you can upgrade me to the full boycott list. I have large enough a backlog to keep me busy before Gog wakes up.
Will do. Thanks! :-)
thefallenalchemist: Zoom is going to have a major hurdle with it becoming more accepted into the mainstream. It's name. When I search for Zoom, you already know what I find first. That is going to be incredibly confusing for gamers. And if the creators of the popular Zoom service that people have been using to communicate decide they want to sue the other Zoom over their name (which is probably copywritten) then it will not look good on Zoom. So first and foremost, they need to rebrand the whole damn thing.
They do have a problem in terms of branding and visibility, for sure. Apparently they claim they had the name before Zoom chat, in which case they are not infringing any trademark. However, it doesn't change the fact that their visibility is really poor and I agree it's something they need to address.

(first post current to post #637)
Post edited January 19, 2021 by Time4Tea
SuperLibby72: My question is what happens when Zoom Bends the knee? Why support another store? Why not Pirate?
Time4Tea: Sure, there are no guarantees for the future. But, as others have said: why wouldn't we give them the same chance that we gave GOG initially? I will give them the benefit of the doubt, unless they actually do something to betray my trust. (Unlike a certain company that has betrayed my trust ...)

The main factor in them selling out, like GOG, would likely be if they ever become part of a public corporation. Seeing as they are not tied to a large game developer, that seems less likely than with GOG.

mrkgnao: I thought I'd keep a record of games I would definitely have bought, were it not for the boycott.

GAMES NOT BOUGHT IN 2021
(1) 18/1/21: Dread Nautical - $9.99
(2) 18/1/21: Operencia: The Stolen Sun - $14.99

Total so far: $24.98.
Time4Tea: This is a good idea! For me, I had been planning to buy Iconoclasts and Hellpoint at full price, to support GOG (and reward the devs for releasing on Linux). However, that has now been cancelled. I was also going to buy Horizon Zero Dawn (which I very much want to play) when it drops to $30 in a sale. I saw in the last one it was still at $40, so I probably wouldn't have bought it yet. Anyway:

GAMES NOT BOUGHT IN 2021
(1) 18/1/21: Iconoclasts - $20
(2) 18/1/21: Hellpoint - $35

Total non-spend so far: $55
I agree, let's give them the benefit of the doubt. But just a little weird they didn't want free publicity from GOG. Honestly, all companies will sell out in some way to make more money. What GOG did was not even that bad as everyone made it out to be. Do people not remember GOG doing this years ago to hatred?

WinterSnowfall: I'm not saying they're not an alternative to GOG or that they are worse, just that I don't think they've started off with the same intention or goodwill that GOG had in its early days, which is what I've heard a lot of people compare Zoom to.
This actually what I find off about Zoom right now.
Post edited January 19, 2021 by SuperLibby72
Dalswyn: As pointed out by Doomsooth in the main Devotion thread, today is Winnie-the-Pooh day. Coincidentally, it's been a month since the day Devotion should have been released here.

Time4Tea: Will do. Thanks! :-)
thefallenalchemist: Zoom is going to have a major hurdle with it becoming more accepted into the mainstream. It's name. When I search for Zoom, you already know what I find first. That is going to be incredibly confusing for gamers. And if the creators of the popular Zoom service that people have been using to communicate decide they want to sue the other Zoom over their name (which is probably copywritten) then it will not look good on Zoom. So first and foremost, they need to rebrand the whole damn thing.
Time4Tea: They do have a problem in terms of branding and visibility, for sure. Apparently they claim they had the name before Zoom chat, in which case they are not infringing any trademark. However, it doesn't change the fact that their visibility is really poor and I agree it's something they need to address.

(first post current to post #637)
It's not about trademark, it's about visibility. Everyone knows Zoom as the platform it is and even celebrities use it. You mention Zoom, people will never think games. Zoom became super popular and they will be fighting a losing battle here.
Time4Tea: Yes, they are all DRM-free. They have no client application. It's true that they don't really advertise the fact they are DRM-free; however, they are reportedly working on a new website and I've heard they plan to make it clearer their games are 100% DRM-free.
Thank you, Tea. I'll give them a closer look, although I'm really anticipating a new website design.
low rated
As for zoom: I hope they add gift codes or similar, as I would really would like to gift some games there some day.
Post edited January 19, 2021 by GamezRanker
TerriblePurpose: Hey, Tea. are all the games on Zoom DRM-free? I can't seem to find anything indicating any level of DRM, so I'm assuming they're all DR-free. Is this correct?
Time4Tea: Yes, they are all DRM-free. They have no client application. It's true that they don't really advertise the fact they are DRM-free; however, they are reportedly working on a new website and I've heard they plan to make it clearer their games are 100% DRM-free.
Where did you find out about the website being reworked? All I see on Twitter is a model shot of the founder and nothing on the site.
This is what makes me a bit wary of Zoom.

"The entity's primary initiative is to create and incubate original intellectual property for the video game and film markets in cooperation with well-known Hollywood stars. Additionally, the Firm has strong interest in established film and TV based intellectual properties."

That sounds like too many cooks trying to turn a DRM-Free store into a real nightmare.
Blah, and now GOG goes and actually gets classic good old game, which was even on my community wishlist. Moonstone: A Hard Day's Knight. Would have been inatabuy. But I will keep my boycott up. Tempted, but I will remain strong. Rights issues for the game have been cleared now, so maybe some other stores get it too. Or maybe GOG improves things so that boycott isn't needed anymore.
high rated
Censorship is a very valid reason though I'm boycotting GOG coz of Cyberpunk 2077 - having tops breaking numerous promises and screwing up their customers hard and then lying to them in the so called "apology" again is the best way to dump all the rep they had.
If they want to go screw-customers-money-first Electronic Arts route and be the new best friends with Winnie the Flu sure they can go ahead but then they'll be on even ground with other stores and I'm not sure they will stand a chance there.