It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Elmofongo: Gonna have to buy at least 5 external hardrives with 500 GB inside
Dunno about where you live, but here one can buy a portable(as in pocket carryable) 3-4 Tb external drive for around 140 bucks US.

Elmofongo: I need them to stay afloat to still have access to these 600+ games.
This will likely sound callous, but: that is why imo one shouldn't buy so many games(especially those where one of the primary selling points is offline DRM free installers) if they cannot store them somewhere.

=-=-=

Time4Tea: 2) Backing up your installers anyway is a good thing to do. Even if GOG don't go under, part of the reason for this boycott is a concern that, the way they seem to be going, they may at some point remove the offline installers entirely. If that ever happens, then you would be much more tied to GOG and their client to access your games.
Well said....if GOG ever removed the offline installers or went under for some other reason, people would lose access to those installers anyways. That is why it's a good idea in general to back one's data up as soon as one can.
Post edited January 15, 2021 by GamezRanker
Time4Tea: offline installers are the core of the DRM-free concept. All of this points to a worrying trend which may ultimately lead to GOG abandoning offline installers entirely and making Galaxy mandatory.
I agree that DRM FREE installers and downloads ought to have a higher priority for GOG and I personally am extremely annoyed that GOG has nor remedied the situation properly after retiring the GOG.com Downloader ,
But I am not going to 'boycott' GOG entirely , but I am going to minimize my purchases until they are offering a full 'function replacement' for the GOG.com Downloader or offered something even better..
I have asked GOG several time to do so , but they apparently don't give a F...!
Post edited January 16, 2021 by FiatLux
That's interesting. I always thought GOG was DRM free. Seems to no longer be the case.

In any case, I bought my first game on GOG. Unfortunately that turned out to be CP2077. It ran like a corpse and support has been completely absent in responding to my refund request.

Suffice to say, I won't be buying anything from GOG again anytime soon -- the store credit question made me laugh.
If I'd bought it on Steam, the refund would have been dealt with in a matter of hours, and after 24 days, I'm still waiting.
Post edited January 15, 2021 by Rarzie
high rated
You can add me as well. If GOG wants to embrace political censorship, I'm going to take what little money I have elsewhere. Meaning I'm not buying anything from the store until they release Devotion.
nvm. collating my thoughts before i post
Post edited January 16, 2021 by Niggles
thefallenalchemist: Also, one big pet peeve I have had about GOG since the beginning of time was their failure to add sequels to games they already released on the platform.

Where the heck is Ori and The Will Of The Whisps?
Where is BlazBlue 2-however many they made?
Where's the second Anima game?

What company in their right mind releases the first game and never the rest? I've been waiting for years for some of these games to come to GOG and I'm bringing them money! Isn't that what you want as a business? Money?

I have all this money for you, but I still have to wait for an undetermined amount of time in order to get sequels to games I bought on here and enjoyed.

Where's the second and third part? It's not here.

It's not here. And that's the problem. If I was in charge, I'd fix this mess.
And you know for sure that GOG is to blame for this?

Personally, unless you have proof for that, I'd blame the DEV and or PUB.

That's not to say that GOG aren't at fault sometimes, to some degree ... but I bet there is a good rhyme and reason for when they are. DRM-Free is mostly still only popular amongst some gamers and to a variety of degrees by some DEVs and PUBs. That would make for a complicated situation, and for GOG to maximize profit as best they can, and that would be where they focus most of their limited resources. So no doubt any rejection would all be down to projected number of sales and maybe any required extra effort on GOGs part.
Post edited January 16, 2021 by Timboli
low rated
thefallenalchemist: Also, one big pet peeve I have had about GOG since the beginning of time was their failure to add sequels to games they already released on the platform.

Where the heck is Ori and The Will Of The Whisps?
Where is BlazBlue 2-however many they made?
Where's the second Anima game?

What company in their right mind releases the first game and never the rest? I've been waiting for years for some of these games to come to GOG and I'm bringing them money! Isn't that what you want as a business? Money?

I have all this money for you, but I still have to wait for an undetermined amount of time in order to get sequels to games I bought on here and enjoyed.

Where's the second and third part? It's not here.

Timboli: And you know for sure that GOG is to blame for this?

Personally, unless you have proof for that, I'd blame the DEV and or PUB.

That's not to say that GOG aren't at fault sometimes, to some degree ... but I bet there is a good rhyme and reason for when they are. DRM-Free is mostly still only popular amongst some gamers and to a variety of degrees by some DEVs and PUBs. That would make for a complicated situation, and for GOG to maximize profit as best they can, and that would be where they focus most of their limited resources. So no doubt any rejection would all be down to projected number of sales and maybe any required extra effort on GOGs part.
Many of the games I mentioned are already DRM-Free. People are clambering about Ori and The Will Of The Whisps. Why? Because it is already DRM-Free on Steam and it'll make bank. They'll make a lot of sales from it.

It has been a number of days and nothing worthwhile has appeared. All I see here is the Cyberpunk banner when I first enter the site. I'd like to see some of the new games for sale on the website. This is very odd behavior from the company.

Something's up with GOG and it sure isn't Cyberpunk.
Post edited January 16, 2021 by thefallenalchemist
low rated
thefallenalchemist: It is considered immoral to eat people, yet there are cultures and tribes who do it all the time. You can go to those cultures and tell them they're immoral, they won't care and they will just eat you as well.
HappyPunkPotato: Again, just because some people think it's not immoral doesn't make it so. Obviously the outcome of that path is that nothing is objective (which may well be true).

thefallenalchemist: We are dealing with women here and that's like trying to figure out a rubicks cube designed by the devil. She can tell you she wants you one day, and then the next day you're a rapist because she changed her mind. Yes, this is very much a thing. When you bring women and rape into this conversation, it muddies the waters entirely.
HappyPunkPotato: Yes some women claim to have been raped when they haven't, and that's a terrible thing to do (or not, if morality is subjective?). But that also doesn't make rape ok. And what's all this about bringing women into it? Do women not exist as people who deserve fair treatment, or are we just some subspecies to be discussed and confuse things for men?

thefallenalchemist: Let's just ignore all of this because we are just going to go round and round, I'll get called all the things and nothing will become of it. So without further ado, let us please go back to this boycotting nonsense... I mean, boycotting business. Slip of the tongue there.
HappyPunkPotato: I have not called you anything. If you're saying the boycott is nonsense it seems less like you're keen to get back to it and more like you know you're wrong and eager to have the last word. Having said that, I do feel guilty dragging what I believe to be an important subject and a good job by Time4Tea off topic so I'm willing to ignore it if you are.
Oh crap, did not realize you were a woman. Hence the line of reasoning. I should have guessed that from the fact that it went from murder to rape in an instant. I'll refrain from further speaking on this subject, my views prove subjective morality quite well. Once again, morality is subjective and it always has been. It always will be. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that someone else doesn't either. I don't have time for this social justice nonsense right now and how people want the world to be. All I know is how the world actually is, and it doesn't give a damn about your "objective morality." I guess some of you need to experience that for yourself.

thefallenalchemist: Where's the second and third part? It's not here.

Boss: "The second part of Goober's Quest came out today. Why isn't it on my platform?"

Employee: "Well, you see... The publisher DOES NOT WANT TO PUBLISH THE GAME HERE..."

Boss: "Ah, ok."
Melvinica:
thefallenalchemist: Where's the second and third part? It's not here.

Boss: "The second part of Goober's Quest came out today. Why isn't it on my platform?"

Employee: "Well, you see... The publisher DOES NOT WANT TO PUBLISH THE GAME HERE..."

Boss: "Ah, ok."
Melvinica:
Boss: "Well, why not?"

Developers need to give an answer and you are also making excuses for GOG. They should come out and tell us if a publisher or developer chooses to no longer publish with GOG that way we aren't waiting.

News: GOG loses partnership with (dev team/company).

Just tell us flat out GOG, don't keep your customers in the dark. I am an adult, I can take the truth. If a publisher or developer felt the game did poorly, we should know that, so we don't expect things that will never happen. This company needs more transparency. Tell us what's going on. I spend a lot of money here, I think I deserve to know.

Elmofongo: I need them to stay afloat to still have access to these 600+ games.
Setilla: Guess what; all those games have been reuploaded somewhere else. They call it piracy, but when business fails, it's normal people with resources who save media. You payed for them to keep their developers alive (or any other sentiment), not for access. Corporations can do whatever the hell they want with games: they can revoke your access for any reason, they can remove the original releases from their store, they can even back out on selling a game the same day they announced it...

We all should think a bit hard about the consequences of these "handy" services before going on a buying spree.
No, let's not promote software piracy here please.
Post edited January 16, 2021 by thefallenalchemist
thefallenalchemist: Oh crap, did not realize you were a woman. Hence the line of reasoning. I should have guessed that from the fact that it went from murder to rape in an instant.
The first thing I said about rape was purely in response to you mentioning it. Then you brought up cannibalism, if you were talking about cannibals who only have a nibble but don't kill anyone then sorry for assuming you were talking about murder.

thefallenalchemist: I'll refrain from further speaking on this subject, my views prove subjective morality quite well. Once again, morality is subjective and it always has been. It always will be. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that someone else doesn't either. I don't have time for this social justice nonsense right now and how people want the world to be.
"Oh no you're a woman so your views don't count. What I say is the truth because I said so and I'm not talking about it anymore." Strange stance from someone who thought I couldn't see the world from someone else's perspective. Also, I'm not entirely sure but I don't think saying murder and rape are bad is "social justice nonsense".

thefallenalchemist: All I know is how the world actually is, and it doesn't give a damn about your "objective morality." I guess some of you need to experience that for yourself.
You're treading the line quite close to suggesting I need to be raped to prove your point there. I wasn't planning on any name calling but you are giving off some pretty strong incel vibes. Since you're either a complete nutter or just a troll I will do what you couldn't and leave the subject there. Feel free to reply if you like though.
high rated
HappyPunkPotato:
thefallenalchemist:
Could we please drop the philosophical discussion about morality, as it's not on topic for the thread? If you want to carry on discussing, please start a new thread or take it elsewhere.

Thanks.
high rated
Setilla:
thefallenalchemist: No, let's not promote software piracy here please.
Oh, no, I pointed out the realistic solution to the death of a digital service. The horror!

Let's stop pretending to be goody two-shoes. If GOG actually went *poof*, with no way of downloading all your installers, would you actually buy them all over again? Wouldn't surprise me if you said "yes!"; Nintendo followers keep sucking it up with each console, paying for the same old games in their wonderful Virtual Console/online subscription service! But someone that values themselves would say "hell no". And let's stop calling everything outside of "official means" piracy. It's embarrassing.

Here's my take; let's not promote corporate predatory practices. I won't limit myself to "official" downloads just because the service died. I payed for a game once, and that's enough.
I also question the usefulness of playing my part in the purchase of media. Does the company that own the rights deserve my money, my approval of how they handle this work they might've not even contributed to? Does the storefront? (Hello, Epic Games Store exclusives. You sure helped the devs after they went through hell programming their game!)
Fuck, there are cases where a game is on a store and the devs don't see a fucking penny!: https://twitter.com/Qwesta6/status/1349006676603580423
Post edited January 16, 2021 by Setilla
Time4Tea: Could we please drop the philosophical discussion about morality, as it's not on topic for the thread? Thanks.
No worries, like I said in my previous post, I've dropped the subject. thefallenalchemist, if it turns out you would like to continue the discussion, I guess you could message me.

Time4Tea, if GOG doesn't change, what are you're plans after a year of the boycott? Will you return to GOG or does it depend on how Zoom Platform are doing? Not sure what I intend to do yet.
Gog is a mess. I want nothing to do with them into they have proven to honour their promises of leaving greed to others and "being rebels"
Right now they are liars and scoundrels.

Almost a month since I requested refund for cyberbug2077 and no reply. My forum thread was locked and I was referred to some garbage statement about them being overloaded. At this point refund for this hot mess should be one automated button.

Dear gog, you lovely pack of thieves, liars and other scum. Just give me back my money so I can spend it elsewhere.
I certainly won't be putting any further money in to the pockets of CDPR and obviously that means not buying from GOG any more.

I agree with your sentiments that GOG has BADLY slipped in reference to the policies we all support them for.. and that's bad enough.

However now CDPR, who have lied about what kind of game they were making, AND FAKED the 2018 demo that drew us all in to begin with. I EXPECT that from the big boy which is the reason I have absolutely no regard for them whatsoever and RARELY buy from them.... but for CDPR just to turn out to be the same.. AND WORSE because of how they professed to care so much abpout their rep and their customers...

NO... it's too much for me to swallow... I'm all full up on lies.
It's now been over a month since my last purchase here, and short of a major release, the streak will only get longer. You may choose to enlist me either as a boycotter or as a sympathizer, as you see fit.