It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

As this topic was brought to my attention, my views (don't miss the update) can be found in A letter tot GOG/CDPR: maybe I can meet you halfway.

The "many gamers" BS, as well as the claim one year ago that Cyberpunk was "complete and playable" now turning out to be untrue has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I may or may not end up not buying anything this year, but as WinterSnowfall aptly described on the first page my "I'm not sure if I'll have time to play this game, but let me buy it here to support GOG" behavior is no more.

If you boycott, you care. And if you care, you won't leave. But for what it's worth, feel free to add me to the "sympathetic" list.
Time4Tea: If that's what you want to do, that's up to you. But i don't think it changes the point I was making - that you shouldn't be under any illusion that doing so is somehow helping the DRM-free movement. In fact, it's not even neutral. In buying from Steam, you are just further validating the developer's position that DRM is a-ok.
Dogmaus: you might be surprised at how much is drm-free on Steam, it's just not mentioned. Last game I got there was a simple exe file I can move anywhere and launch at my will. I wonder if there's even more DRM-free games there, given how huge is that store compared to GOG. You might have to make your own installer but at least it doesn't take ages to download.
Some games will never make it to GOG, because curation. But are DRM free on Steam. So...
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam

Knock yourself out. But, still requires installing the Steam client at least once to download them. If GOG ever starts to require Galaxy to download game files, there will be no reason left to use GOG at all.
Post edited January 14, 2021 by W3irdN3rd
I’m in.
Orkhepaj: hmm with api or how?
mrkgnao: There's a tool called SteamCMD: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Once you install the app, all you need to do to install a game is run one command:
steamcmd +login [username] +app_update [gameid] +quit
but you need to know the game's ID (found on the game's steam page URL).

That said, I wouldn't consider this tool a real replacement for a client. As far as I can see, the only thing it can do is install a game. It cannot, for example, list which games you own, or update all your games at once, like, say, gogrepo can. I guess it's better than having a client if you happen to want to play a steam game or two, but not if you have a sizeable library, unless you install (or write) some wrapper around it (of which, I understand, there are a few).
Interesting, while this provides much less bloatware, it's in essence no different from the full-blown Steam client. If SteamCMD (or at least whatever protocols it uses) were made open it could be, but it seems you can't install something without running any Valve software. (and being forced to run Valve code to download non-Valve code is a restriction, which means it's a form of Digital Restrictions Management, which is what DRM stands for. (yes, that's what DRM stands for)
mrkgnao: I don't know who this "you" is addressed to, but I certainly didn't vote for any of them, nor do I plan to. I boycott with my wallet, not with my mouse.

And, again, the assumption that the boycott is exclusively, or even primarily, to do with Devotion is also incorrect, at least in my case and the case of others who have commented on this here.
I'm joking, I was just making people notice what is going on with the Winnie the Pooh games. Why did you think I would be talking about you or someone specifically? :) I even used a XD but it looks like the in the forum everyone is tensed and one can't say things jokingly without offending someone. I don't think you need to take that "you people are voting for Winnie the Pooh in the wishlist comment" personally or it needs to be specified who is the "you". The "you" is the people who are doing it and I think it's funny. The Wishlist is a mess anyway, with duplicates, PS exclusives, and it looks like the staff does not even care to mark completed wishes as such (Heretic/Hexen series still not tagged as complete). I don't know how much GOG cares about it anyway. Every function of the site is a disaster, seach, reviews, you name it.
Also, I have not done that assumption!
W3irdN3rd: Knock yourself out. But, still requires installing the Steam client at least once to download them. If GOG ever starts to require Galaxy to download game files, there will be no reason left to use GOG at all.
I've seen that list but it's just a fraction of the games that are DRM free and will never be listed. Just to name one that's not there: The Abbey of Crime Extensum
https://store.steampowered.com/app/474030/The_Abbey_of_Crime_Extensum/
A pity that's not here as a freebie.

Thuth is it's not possible to know what is DRM free on Steam before purchasing it in most cases and that's why it can never replace a store like GOG.
Post edited January 14, 2021 by Dogmaus
mrkgnao: I don't know who this "you" is addressed to, but I certainly didn't vote for any of them, nor do I plan to. I boycott with my wallet, not with my mouse.

And, again, the assumption that the boycott is exclusively, or even primarily, to do with Devotion is also incorrect, at least in my case and the case of others who have commented on this here.
Dogmaus: I'm joking, I was just making people notice what is going on with the Winnie the Pooh games. Why did you think I would be talking about you or someone specifically? :) I even used a XD but it looks like the in the forum everyone is tensed and one can't say things jokingly without offending someone. I don't think you need to take that "you people are viting for Winniw the Pooh in the wishlist comment" personally or it needs to be specified who is the "you". The "you" is the people who are doing it and I think it's funny. The Wishlist is a mess anyway, with duplicates, PS exclusives, and it looks like the stuff does not even care to mark completed wished as such (Heretic/Hexen series still not tegged as complete). I don't know how much GOG cares about it anyway. Every function of the site is a disaster, seach, reviews, you name it.
Also, I have not done that assumption!
I see. I didn't understand the joke. Sorry.
mrkgnao: I see. I didn't understand the joke. Sorry.
Sorry if I express myself in a way that could sound insulting to the people doing the boycott!
I got an answer from the staff, for these connection attempts!
Then, it would be the game engines (especially Unity) which was looking for a connection by default. It's up to the developers to disable them, but that doesn't prevent GOG from keeping games DRM-free.

No worries about that, then
Dogmaus: Sorry if I express myself in a way that could sound insulting to the people doing the boycott!
Your post about the pooh games made me smile :-)

Ganyse: I got an answer from the staff, for these connection attempts!
Well done getting an answer off them, glad the connections aren't something GOG is doing!
I know it's only 15 days into the new year but nothing of note has been released on gog in 2021 so far.

I agree with the more support for offline installers. GOG Galaxy is 'alright' but I'd rather not use it and GOG Downloader was great.

Edit I'd like GOG to give customers the feature to delete unwanted games from their account and I'd like more ubisoft games on here.
Post edited January 14, 2021 by David9855
low rated
thefallenalchemist: some militaries even permit taking the women (what you may consider rape) as spoils of war. It happens all the time, all throughout history. We cannot judge the world with a western lens
HappyPunkPotato: Lots of people thinking that that's ok doesn't stop it being immoral. It happening all the time doesn't stop it being immoral. The lens we need to judge it through is that of the women who are subjected to it, not the lens of the men who want to do it (not saying you want to do it).

Edit: As for on topic, my main reason for not shopping at GOG is DRM and the fact that they haven't been entirely honest with their promise to fight against it, not political.
Once again, you are judging with a western lens. What I mean to say is that there is no objective morality. Morality is wholly subjective to the person. Some of the women did want to get taken by a stronger military force, because of a natural hypergamy instinct. They may even have children with the conquerors because it shows that their sons and daughters would have superior genes to the people who were conquered. A man who can conquer another man is looked upon greatly by a woman, hence why they are so fond of men in tournaments, like athletes and so on. These men compete against other men and they successfully conquer other men in the form of sport. That is very attractive to a woman and it tickles their hypergamy.

But now that I've said my piece and we had gotten wildly off topic, let us return to the topic.
low rated
HappyPunkPotato: Lots of people thinking that that's ok doesn't stop it being immoral. It happening all the time doesn't stop it being immoral. The lens we need to judge it through is that of the women who are subjected to it, not the lens of the men who want to do it (not saying you want to do it).

Edit: As for on topic, my main reason for not shopping at GOG is DRM and the fact that they haven't been entirely honest with their promise to fight against it, not political.
thefallenalchemist: Once again, you are judging with a western lens. What I mean to say is that there is no objective morality. Morality is wholly subjective to the person. Some of the women did want to get taken by a stronger military force, because of a natural hypergamy instinct. They may even have children with the conquerors because it shows that their sons and daughters would have superior genes to the people who were conquered. A man who can conquer another man is looked upon greatly by a woman, hence why they are so fond of men in tournaments, like athletes and so on. These men compete against other men and they successfully conquer other men in the form of sport. That is very attractive to a woman and it tickles their hypergamy.

But now that I've said my piece and we had gotten wildly off topic, let us return to the topic.
and you are wrong
there is objective morality, and it was proven many times already
I'm in!
thefallenalchemist: Some of the women did want to get taken by a stronger military force, because of a natural hypergamy instinct. They may even have children with the conquerors because it shows that their sons and daughters would have superior genes to the people who were conquered.
If they want it then it's not immoral if they don't want it then it is. Like I said, look at it from their perspective. What you're saying is similar to saying there's no such thing as rape because some people want sex. Of course there is also the grey area where it's impossible to differentiate what you really want from what you think you want due to pressure from your circumstances, society, etc. Or what you have to do in order to survive.

Edit: "But now that I've said my piece and we had gotten wildly off topic, let us return to the topic."
Post edited January 15, 2021 by HappyPunkPotato
low rated
Adoru: I'm in!
Urine!
low rated
thefallenalchemist: Once again, you are judging with a western lens. What I mean to say is that there is no objective morality. Morality is wholly subjective to the person. Some of the women did want to get taken by a stronger military force, because of a natural hypergamy instinct. They may even have children with the conquerors because it shows that their sons and daughters would have superior genes to the people who were conquered. A man who can conquer another man is looked upon greatly by a woman, hence why they are so fond of men in tournaments, like athletes and so on. These men compete against other men and they successfully conquer other men in the form of sport. That is very attractive to a woman and it tickles their hypergamy.

Orkhepaj: and you are wrong
there is objective morality, and it was proven many times already
Again, there is no such thing as objective morality. It is considered immoral to eat people, yet there are cultures and tribes who do it all the time. You can go to those cultures and tell them they're immoral, they won't care and they will just eat you as well.
thefallenalchemist: Some of the women did want to get taken by a stronger military force, because of a natural hypergamy instinct. They may even have children with the conquerors because it shows that their sons and daughters would have superior genes to the people who were conquered.
HappyPunkPotato: If they want it then it's not immoral if they don't want it then it is. Like I said, look at it from their perspective. What you're saying is similar to saying there's no such thing as rape because some people want sex. Of course there is also the grey area where it's impossible to differentiate what you really want from what you think you want due to pressure from your circumstances, society, etc. Or what you have to do in order to survive.

Edit: "But now that I've said my piece and we had gotten wildly off topic, let us return to the topic."
We are dealing with women here and that's like trying to figure out a rubicks cube designed by the devil. She can tell you she wants you one day, and then the next day you're a rapist because she changed her mind. Yes, this is very much a thing. When you bring women and rape into this conversation, it muddies the waters entirely. Let's just ignore all of this because we are just going to go round and round, I'll get called all the things and nothing will become of it.

So without further ado, let us please go back to this boycotting nonsense... I mean, boycotting business. Slip of the tongue there.
Post edited January 15, 2021 by thefallenalchemist