It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Krogan32: Remember, they're still buying games from GoG while "boycotting" GoG.
Trooper1270: And you seem to be the only one really bothered by it. What real business is it of yours, how, why or in what way each individual chooses to conduct the way they carry out their boycott, whether it's your's, mine or the dictionary's definition of 'Boycott', it's still none of your business, and continuing to repeat those same words over, and over, won't change that.
A boycott is 100% or nothing. To half ass it shows that you have no convictions what-so-ever. It literally means that you are a fair weather person and will only do things when they're convenient for you. Because of your wish-washy nature, no one should trust your word at face value at all, because you will change your stance when it suits you.
low rated
Slick_JMista: gog has again expressed their commitment to drm free gaming, so boycotting the only store that protects consumer ownership rights isn't productive at all.
(bolding mine)
*cough* zoom-platform *cough*
low rated
Slick_JMista: gog has again expressed their commitment to drm free gaming, so boycotting the only store that protects consumer ownership rights isn't productive at all.
This protest is about calling for actions, not words. We've had enough of GOG's empty PR-speak, which is why many of us are here.

GamezRanker: *cough* zoom-platform *cough*
Good post! :-)
Post edited January 31, 2022 by Time4Tea
low rated
Time4Tea: This protest is about calling for actions, not words. We've had enough of GOG's empty PR-speak, which is why many of us are here.

GamezRanker: *cough* zoom-platform *cough*
Time4Tea: Good post! :-)
How many games have you bought on GoG during this sale? Over or under five?
low rated
richlind33: Didn't the CCP restrict children to 1 hour of social media/gaming per day?
fronzelneekburm: I am not intimately familiar with this regulation. It's possible they passed a regulation like that, but again, this would exclusively affect multiplayer titles. A rule like that would be pretty much unenforceable for singleplayer titles (unless, say, they have some sort of always online DRM that locks you out of your game after 1 hour of play time).

richlind33: How much gaming does the average adult do in China?
fronzelneekburm: None of the people I met would qualify as "hardcore gamers" by any stretch of the imagination, so I have next to no anecdotal evidence here. I'd say most adults limit themselves to playing on their smartphones. I never saw anyone play a game on a PC here (however, I didn't go out of my way to find people who do, either). I once saw a group of elementary school-age kids play PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds on their smartphones, that was basically the pinnacle of what I saw in China, gaming wise. I also once talked to a guy who worked at a company making mobile games who was hoping to break into the PC gaming market. When I asked him why he'd want to leave the mobile market and how that would seem counterintuitive in a mobile-dominated market like China, he replied that mobile gaming is a dead end: As soon as your app reaches a certain level of success, you're bought up by Tencent.

There you go. Like my old teacher said: "That doesn't answer my question, but it's valuable information nonetheless."
That's the most informative post in this thread -- by far! ;p
low rated
With the post today about GOG's commitment to bringing more classic games to the site, I would like to remove my name from the list of sympathetic users.

I know that they haven't addressed the majority of issues people have, but they seem to be heading in the right direction and I want to support the addition of more classic games by buying them.
low rated
llamas: With the post today about GOG's commitment to bringing more classic games to the site, I would like to remove my name from the list of sympathetic users.

I know that they haven't addressed the majority of issues people have, but they seem to be heading in the right direction and I want to support the addition of more classic games by buying them.
Maybe you should wait until they actually release them...

I honestly appreciate the news post, but my inner cynic knows that words are cheap.
low rated
llamas: With the post today about GOG's commitment to bringing more classic games to the site, I would like to remove my name from the list of sympathetic users.

fronzelneekburm: Maybe you should wait until they actually release them...

I honestly appreciate the news post, but my inner cynic knows that words are cheap.
But there were so many of them. And they were flowery and dripping with sincerity. Or something. lol
low rated

fronzelneekburm: Maybe you should wait until they actually release them...

Well they managed to release a couple good old games last year I was interested in, one of which I voted for on the wishlist years ago. So even if they just keep up the frequency of releasing a few good old games a year I care about, I count that as a win.
low rated
Doubling down on Galaxy.
Bloating it when it's a core of multiplayer now.
Lastly going 'back to it's roots' means giving up on pressuring/leading the industry as to DRM free as an initiative.

There is no win here; just damage control.
keep up the boycott; blood is in the water and GOG has to swim for it's life.
low rated
illiousintahl: Doubling down on Galaxy.
Lastly going 'back to it's roots' means giving up on pressuring/leading the industry as to DRM free as an initiative.

Except you are not engaging in a boycott as you faux boycotters are still buying games from GoG. So, how many games did you buy during this latest sale? Over or under five?
low rated

Done. Thanks for your support!

illiousintahl: Doubling down on Galaxy.

I agree. All we've heard from GOG so far this year are more cheap words. Until I see some concrete actions being taken to address the items on this list, I won't even be thinking about lifting my boycott.

And I agree, there are signs they are hurting. Which I think has to be good thing, in that it might encourage them to connect more with their customers and possibly change direction.
low rated
I think this boycott is ridiculous. By doing so, you're making it harder for GOG to survive, at least they're committed to DRM free gaming, unlike the other platforms.

If GOG go under, then you've really all shot yourselves (and us) in the foot.

Besides, I'll be honest, I used to be very much in favour of DRM free, but these days, it's so built in that is it really an issue anymore? It's safe to say that Steam will never disappear, and I hope the same can be said of GOG, who I prefer to Steam because they try to have DRM principles.

No company is perfect, maybe GOG should start offering DRM games but clearly state this when selling, I'm sure they're missing out on a lot of sales by not having them in their store.

Seriously have a rethink on this one boycotters, GOG is the most gamer friendly store and we should support it. Not supporting it just makes the Steam and DRM case stronger.

Rob.
low rated
skybluerob: I think this boycott is ridiculous. By doing so, you're making it harder for GOG to survive, at least they're committed to DRM free gaming, unlike the other platforms.
No, they are not. That's the point. They are commited to expanding their catalogue by allowing DRM-ed games here. But without a commitment to DRM-free, GOG has nothing that differentiates them from other mainstream stores. Apart from a worse service, less updates and a quirky, questionable curation.
low rated
skybluerob: I think this boycott is ridiculous. By doing so, you're making it harder for GOG to survive, at least they're committed to DRM free gaming, unlike the other platforms.

If GOG go under, then you've really all shot yourselves (and us) in the foot.

Besides, I'll be honest, I used to be very much in favour of DRM free, but these days, it's so built in that is it really an issue anymore? It's safe to say that Steam will never disappear, and I hope the same can be said of GOG, who I prefer to Steam because they try to have DRM principles.

No company is perfect, maybe GOG should start offering DRM games but clearly state this when selling, I'm sure they're missing out on a lot of sales by not having them in their store.

Seriously have a rethink on this one boycotters, GOG is the most gamer friendly store and we should support it. Not supporting it just makes the Steam and DRM case stronger.

Rob.
Read the thread. This has been brought up time and time again. GOG have had years to implement or even acknowledge the issues raised here. They have not. Even with the big announcement this week, nothing, a few empty words. Pushing more money their stuff simply reinforces their belief that they do not need to do anything. Simply put, this has been building since around the release of galaxy, and has simply got worse until (for me anyways) they pushed out cyberpunk with online gated content, inability to provide parity between galaxy and offline users, and online only content. At that point I simply gave up, they have a very bad direction which shows no sign of changing, hence I have brought nothing since nov2020 and will not until things change for the better.