It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Hexchild: Here's the thing. As GOG grows into a larger company and income becomes more and more important, I very much doubt they will be changing for the better (from the point of view embodied in this thread) unless they actually have the understanding that their survival depends on it to a significant extent. As it currently stands, I don't think they do, since they would be all over these forums trying to reconcile.
Well they are likely depending on most of the userbase not knowing or not caring about the issues.....if they felt more knew or cared about the issues and it affected GOG's bottom line, then they might speak up about it(and maybe even change course).

That is why I agree people need to speak up(somewhat civilly, of course) when they find things they dislike about the site/store/company.....as it's often the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.
Hexchild: As was already stated by others, you have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise you'll be waiting until there's hardly anything left to save. Personally I think it makes perfect sense to draw the line at going against your own promises, pledges and mission statement, lying to and ignoring your customers, and yielding to external pressures at the expense of your customers.
This is very well said. Sums up my feelings exactly. I don't see any reason to wait any longer to draw the line, nor to give them another inch (or dollar).

Hexchild: On the contrary, I think they will fall into the habit of ignoring this portion of their customer base, cutting little corners here and there, waiting until the new, corner-cut reality becomes the norm, and then repeating that process, gradually eroding the very things that once made GOG great and ultimately subverting the DRM-free movement and turning it into something else that is both inoffensive to publishers and blatantly anti-consumer. That's how it usually goes.
Absolutely. This is what I am seeing as well, a gradual and calculated cutting and erosion of the core values the site was built on. Subverting the DRM-free movement is exactly right. GOG is slowly but surely going in the direction of abandoning offline installers and opening the gates to increasing amounts of DRM. Since their direction is clear and obviously misguided, the right time to make a stand and demand a change of course is right now.

(first post updated to post #347)
Post edited January 11, 2021 by Time4Tea
Hexchild: As was already stated by others, you have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise you'll be waiting until there's hardly anything left to save. Personally I think it makes perfect sense to draw the line at going against your own promises, pledges and mission statement, lying to and ignoring your customers, and yielding to external pressures at the expense of your customers.
Time4Tea: This is very well said. Sums up my feelings exactly. I don't see any reason to wait any longer to draw the line, nor to give them another inch (or dollar).

Hexchild: On the contrary, I think they will fall into the habit of ignoring this portion of their customer base, cutting little corners here and there, waiting until the new, corner-cut reality becomes the norm, and then repeating that process, gradually eroding the very things that once made GOG great and ultimately subverting the DRM-free movement and turning it into something else that is both inoffensive to publishers and blatantly anti-consumer. That's how it usually goes.
Time4Tea: Absolutely. This is what I am seeing as well, a gradual and calculated cutting and erosion of the core values the site was built on. Subverting the DRM-free movement is exactly right. GOG is slowly but surely going in the direction of abandoning offline installers and opening the gates to increasing amounts of DRM. Since their direction is clear and obviously misguided, the right time to make a stand and demand a change of course is right now.

(first post updated to post #347)
Is there a place to go to get on the boycott list or are you just adding to it as people say that's what they're doing on here? If the latter, did you see my post earlier, because I'm boycotting too until Devotion is released.
WeirdoGeek: Is there a place to go to get on the boycott list or are you just adding to it as people say that's what they're doing on here? If the latter, did you see my post earlier, because I'm boycotting too until Devotion is released.
The latter, and you are already listed. See here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021/post1 (you're #35).
Post edited January 11, 2021 by mrkgnao
Never, after all this time and bringing Gabriel Knight and all the other lovely games, that would be really stupid.
GOG is still the best:)
low rated
Moonbeam: Never, after all this time and bringing Gabriel Knight and all the other lovely games, that would be really stupid.
GOG is still the best:)
That's not how you seemed to feel when GOG DLer got removed.

What caused the change of heart, if I may ask?

Could it be that the other issue was motivated by personal interest?

=-=-=

Ontopic, to all:

People imo(i mean in general) should be willing to criticize a site/company, or at least offer a shoulder in solidarity to those doing so, even if it's an issue they don't personally support.
Post edited January 11, 2021 by GamezRanker
The reasons for a boycott seem to me to be totally out of place (except for the NMS situation which is worrying), but I would still like to emphasize one thing, which is really more worrying than all the reasons put forward here and which really deserves to be questioned:

Recently, games that are supposed to be DRM-free (launched without Galaxy, well with offline setup) are establishing an online connection, for an undisclosed reason, even for games that don't have an online connection.
I saw it because I configured my firewall to block connections and tell me what to try to connect before I decide whether to allow it or not
This product has been on the market for about 3 months, I would say.

This, this is really disturbing, and I urge you to check for yourself to confirm what I am saying.

I've attached an image of my firewall which indicates that a GOG game is connected to the internet.
This is in English, to describe what is indicated the "port désigné" means the type of connection, "activé" means enabled (I'm going to deactivate it after this post by the way, I thought I had blocked it, but for some reason, it's reactivated again)
Attachments:
Post edited January 11, 2021 by Ganyse
low rated
Ganyse: Recently, games that are supposed to be DRM-free (launched without Galaxy, well with offline setup) are establishing an online connection, for an undisclosed reason, even for games that don't have an online connection.
I saw it because I configured my firewall to block connections and tell me what to try to connect before I decide whether to allow it or not
Also during install, the installers connect to the net to display some game card info correctly.
(like either a click to buy or click to download button on the installer game card screens)

Dunno about when games are installed, but I would imagine the galaxy dll files in the gog games are trying to see if they can connect to galaxy.
Ganyse: Recently, games that are supposed to be DRM-free (launched without Galaxy, well with offline setup) are establishing an online connection, for an undisclosed reason, even for games that don't have an online connection.
GamezRanker: Also during install, the installers connect to the net to display some game card info correctly.
(like either a click to buy or click to download button on the installer game card screens)

Dunno about when games are installed, but I would imagine the galaxy dll files in the gog games are trying to see if they can connect to galaxy.
No, that's not it, when this connection request comes up, I already installed the game, it produces this when I launch it
This, this is really disturbing, and I urge you to check for yourself to confirm what I am saying.
But is the game starting and working fine if you are totally offline ? Being DRM-free doesn't mean that the game doesn't try to connect online, simply that it will work if it is 100% offline.
Gersen: But is the game starting and working fine if you are totally offline ? Being DRM-free doesn't mean that the game doesn't try to connect online, simply that it will work if it is 100% offline.
Yes, it works totally offline.
The remain well without DRM, I pointed out that they asked for a connection recently, but that the nature was not known and that GOG had not communicated on this subject.

And to clarify a point, I'm not saying that we should boycott because of that, I'm saying that it's a more legitimate reason for concern than what has been put forward.
I'm just worried about what this might lead to, I just wanted to mention this fact

I'm conversing with a member of the support team, he seems to be watching to check out the reason
low rated
Ganyse: No, that's not it, when this connection request comes up, I already installed the game, it produces this when I launch it
As I said in the second bit that you quoted as well, it's likely checking for and trying to "talk to" galaxy...that's my guess anyways.

Ganyse: I'm conversing with a member of the support team, he seems to be watching to check out the reason
Do let us know if they get back to ya and what the reply is.
joppo: Well it's not anyone's fault that you made an assumption based on one person's post and applied it to several others who didn't say they think EXACTLY the same, now is it?
Timboli: Well I would be very careful if I was you, when accusing someone of making an assumption, that you haven't done so yourself. I see many in your larger reply, including that assumption about me.

In fact, you are so way over the top in most of what you say, and way outside the ballpark in relevancy, that I could not even begin to respond to you.

I will stick to responding to others, who are at least somewhat reasonable in what they say.

Sorry dude, but it just had to be said.

Have a good day.
Huh, I just tossed this post into Google Translate, from Bullshittese to English, and this is what I got out of it:

"I am married to my views but I can't actually sustain my points against anything that was said to me. Since I want to continue white knighting for Gog, I'll claim that there is something wrong with this post I can't properly refute, pretend that I just 'won' an internet argument and quickly get out feeling all smug and superior."

Well you do you, mate. I am disappointed that you decided to end the conversation this way, but it's entirely up to you. At least every single post is civil, which is already better than any discussion in most internet forums.

Have a good day as well.

This is concerning. I assume it is some sort of Telemetry. I don't like it if it's actually what Gog is doing.

I will download some newly updated installer and try to reproduce this behavior tonight or tomorrow, see what comes up. Hopefully it is just Disco Elisium?

BTW is this game done with Unity? Because I remember there was telemetry in Unity games, at least a while ago, but if it is the case at least this is not Gog's fault.

Have you seen it happen with other games?
Post edited January 11, 2021 by joppo
The only reason I am sticking with GOG, and making it my preferred digital platform, is due to offline installers.The day they stop doing that I switch back to Steam where I have a considerable amount of games already

Hope they stick to their values and not become just another digital platform to buy games on.
Ganyse: No, that's not it, when this connection request comes up, I already installed the game, it produces this when I launch it
GamezRanker: As I said in the second bit that you quoted as well, it's likely checking for and trying to "talk to" galaxy...that's my guess anyways.

I do not think is that, because i not have Galaxy with my another PC

Ganyse: I'm conversing with a member of the support team, he seems to be watching to check out the reason
GamezRanker: Do let us know if they get back to ya and what the reply is.
Yes, I'll come tell you if he answers me. ^^

@Joppo Is not only Disco Elysium, but everythin's games i play since 3-4 months
That is to say Mark of the Ninja remastered, Disco Elysium, Resolutiion, Yestermorrow, Dungeon Siege III and Death's Gambit
I have a doubt for some others, including Alliance Alive HD, One Step From Eden and Yuppie Psycho
I just noticed that the connection was enabled, but I don't remember if my firewall had asked me or not.

In any case, Disco is far from being the only one