It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
TurdFerguson87: I am very, very, very, aware this is not Steam, nor is this a Steam forum. You're missing the point.
I'm starting to think you don't understand what that phrase means :D

Whatever, I'll let people actually involved in the boycott waste their time with you.
low rated
Breja: I'm starting to think you don't understand what that phrase means :D

Whatever, I'll let people actually involved in the boycott waste their time with you.
You're the only one wasting your time.
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: I have saved enough this year not buying from gog to buy myself an 18tb hdd!!!

On other news, it’s good news that Gwent and galaxy is moving to CDPR. Perhaps there will be some changes up and coming next year!
Only changes we can realistically expect in next year, since GOG is obviously losing money is that Galaxy will become mandatory, offline installers will be gone or at least gone from website (thus locked behind Galaxy), Epic will tighten the grip around GOG's neck and then DRM games will start appearing on GOG Galaxy and after that...

That's the future I failed to predict back in 2014. when GOG Galaxy was first announced and spent more than five thousand €uros on GOG in that 6 year time, from first GOG Galaxy announcement in June of 2014. until April of 2020. when mandatory Galaxy 2.0 update happened and I started boycotting on my own, without threads or tantrums.
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: Q.E.D to my point
I have not read this whole thread. So what way your point and who proved it to you?
low rated
Pretty sure GOG is managed by script kiddies. CDP, too. lol
low rated
richlind33: Pretty sure GOG is managed by script kiddies. CDP, too. lol
There is no CDProjekt, only Zuul.
low rated
Breja: There is no CDProjekt, only Zuul.
And Bobby Kotick is Gozer. If only I'd realized sooner.
low rated
If this were true, why is the website and the forum in suc a bad shape and nearly falling apart?
low rated
mastyer-kenobi: Q.E.D to my point
john_hatcher: I have not read this whole thread. So what way your point and who proved it to you?
I said that the issues being discussed aren't as simple as "X people just dont like DRM" and that there are absolutely chunks of this thread that are pushing very ideological extremes like even achievements be entirely offline only or that the logins needed to make MMOs functional are no different than singleplayer login requirements. Two people presented the argument right after I said that.
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: I have saved enough this year not buying from gog to buy myself an 18tb hdd!!!

On other news, it’s good news that Gwent and galaxy is moving to CDPR. Perhaps there will be some changes up and coming next year!
GlorFindel: Only changes we can realistically expect in next year, since GOG is obviously losing money is that Galaxy will become mandatory, offline installers will be gone or at least gone from website (thus locked behind Galaxy), Epic will tighten the grip around GOG's neck and then DRM games will start appearing on GOG Galaxy and after that...

That's the future I failed to predict back in 2014. when GOG Galaxy was first announced and spent more than five thousand €uros on GOG in that 6 year time, from first GOG Galaxy announcement in June of 2014. until April of 2020. when mandatory Galaxy 2.0 update happened and I started boycotting on my own, without threads or tantrums.
Yes, that is definately the most probable outcome, and one I was pointing out when galaxy was released. Certain users however had their own agendas (and got some reward) for defending it back then and to this day. I imagine if GOG fails they will simply move to zoom and push for a client and steam features there until zoom collapses. So it’s really best all over it GOG doesn’t fail, first if they can change then it’s a good store, if it doesn’t it keeps the hipster steam fanboys from ruining another site.
I think it's time for a summary, at least for me.

After almost a year of completely boycotting GOG, buying nothing here in hopeless hope of seeing some change, I believe it is time for me to end my boycott. Not because GOG has somehow improved its ways, not at all, but because there is really nothing left for me to boycott here. I have very little incentive left to buy any games here, so I wouldn't call this "a boycott" anymore --- just simply "not buying here, because why should I?".

Thanks to this boycott, I was able --- after 11 years of buying nothing but GOG ---- to explore other alternatives in a more objective manner, and I found out that --- for me --- there is a much better option out there for DRM-free/client-free games. So even going forward, I don't expect to buy much of anything on GOG, if at all. I may buy DLCs/expansions for games I already own here --- or not. I may join this year's GOG Secret Santa --- or not. We'll see.

@Time4Tea, you can keep me on the list or not, as you see fit.
Post edited December 06, 2021 by mrkgnao
No one legitimately argues in favour of DRM that isn't making money from surveillance tech and/or "intellectual" licensing, which are all just various means of theft at this point.

Artists, generally speaking, have never received payment much less royalties remotely commensurate with their influence, so I do not know what we could possibly be arguing about? Looks like a lot of 'bots to me.

These corporate nobodies and their henchmen are nothing without us.

Cut them off.

Replace them with decent people who care about games, and culture, and their fellow human beings.

Seems to me that some of the most active anti-boycott posters on this thread are acting in aggressive opposition to any basic consumer rights or care for the curation of our historical gaming and literary cultures in, mainly, English-centric countries, but also globally. The quicker customers realize this is happening, the better. We are being gaslit. Even some of the nicest-seeming posts are easily revealed to be obviously fallacious, slippery-slope arguments ultimately against any consumer protections, privacy, artists' rights, and so on. Or, as has been mentioned, they reply with a bunch of noisy word salad or just ad hominem insults. What a joke. We can see through it.

People, fix this, by hook or by crook, or even by boycott. This company owes us every penny we have collectively spent over the years and more. I have almost 800 games in my GOG library only because of the DRM-free guarantee. They have no competitors, only room to grow in the privacy and curatorship spheres. Ensure GOG maintains their viability by hewing ALWAYS to their original values. GOG is one of the last companies, at least in English-language countries, that are selling and retaining e-copies of DRM-free games. Let's ensure they keep it that way.

Once we allow English-language gaming to give up on these, MOST BASIC consumer protections and privacy rights, the rest of the world is expected to follow. This appears to be the sole purpose of GOG, with all its faux libertarianisms, from fake far rights to fake far lefts, from delusions of US empire to some of its furthest-flung operatives, agents provocateurs all, including apparent 'bots arguing we should stop being "political". How else to explain GOG's monetary waste than to accept the obvious? It is being taken over by venture capitalist pirates. No ethics, not even a single moral to be had amongst them. Just divisive nonsense arguing to break things up for "value". Bunch of thieves.

YES, BOYCOTT, EVERYONE SHOULD BOYCOTT GOG MANAGEMENT, C-SUITE, BOARD MEMBERS, AND ALWAYS REMEMBER THEIR NAMES, because this is becoming a global "banality of evil", for real. DRM has absolutely no consumer argument in favour of it. None. NONE. Get real. People arguing against this boycott look like they are posting from an overpaid, but still very cheap, troll farm. Moderators should do something about it. Isn't DRM-free media a core value for GOG? Moderators should moderate accordingly. I am sick of reading these fake, obviously corporatist posts.
low rated
I've been at this boycott for about a year now. There was always a lingering hope that GoG could do a heel-face turn and bring Devotion/Detention here. I guess they've proven it to us that their interests are stronger than their stated ideals. Only when it's convenient/profitable does GoG leap at a chance at doing anything considered to be altruistic.

Reiterating what I stated about GoG pulling the plug on Devotion.

We can be pragmatic and accept censorship (and CCP influence) in our life when it's most practical/convenient to do so or we can stand by our ideals. Big corporations under greed have already caved in (Blizzard & Steam come to mind), but we don't have to. It'll be so easy to be acceptive of this kind of behaviour as the norm, complicit on the influence of a Communist regime ("messages from many gamers" - Xi Jinping's cronies). But these are things I can't tolerate. People can go ahead and support GOG and the approach they took in this situation, indicative that they can get away with this kind of behaviour in the future. I won't compromise myself and my values.

GoG please analyse Poland under communist rule and the censorship involved. Now compare that to today's Communist China censoring Red Candle Games (Taiwanese company) even after an apology and removing content. Not all of us live in Communist China and maybe some of us value freedom of speech/freedom of the press. Censorship shouldn't apply to people not under their jurisdiction.
low rated
it's high time to start "boycott GOG 2022" lol
mrkgnao: I think it's time for a summary, at least for me.

After almost a year of completely boycotting GOG, buying nothing here in hopeless hope of seeing some change, I believe it is time for me to end my boycott. Not because GOG has somehow improved its ways, not at all, but because there is really nothing left for me to boycott here. I have very little incentive left to buy any games here, so I wouldn't call this "a boycott" anymore --- just simply "not buying here, because why should I?".

Thanks to this boycott, I was able --- after 11 years of buying nothing but GOG ---- to explore other alternatives in a more objective manner, and I found out that --- for me --- there is a much better option out there for DRM-free/client-free games. So even going forward, I don't expect to buy much of anything on GOG, if at all. I may buy DLCs/expansions for games I already own here --- or not. I may join this year's GOG Secret Santa --- or not. We'll see.

@Time4Tea, you can keep me on the list or not, as you see fit.
Yes, I am almost with the same stance as you; I have a few games on my wishlist which are last true GoodOldGames that I want and don't own yet and unavailable anywhere else and will maybe pick them up eventually on high discount.
I haven't bought anything on GOG since April of 2020. and even if I buy these few games, GOG, as far as being my main store, as it was for more than 6 years is dead.
Because, GOG Galaxy is a reality and it's not going away, offline installers are usually late and sometimes even not updated and probably and almost certainly soon to be locked behind Galaxy or even gone for good.
Nothing even remotely similar to GOG of 2009. when I joined or of GOG of 2014. when I started to spend almost all my gaming money here is not here anymore.
And, I know things need to change, but GOG was unique and that uniqueness made it special. Now and for quite some time that uniqueness is gone and it will probably never return.