It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Gudadantza: One of the most perverse goals of this topic is trying to convince people that support GOG, use GOG as the main videogaing store to purchase things is the wrong thing to do. To support DRM free and to support GOG you need to boycott it.

It is demential, indeed. The sign of te times.
Interesting. What I find perverse is a company building up its business on the basis of championing certain ethical principles (DRM-free) and then proceeding to try to walk back on that, breaking the promises it has been making to its customers, whilst simultaneously assisting a repressive, totalitarian regime in imposing its vision of censorship on the rest of the world.

Gudadantza: To support DRM free and to support GOG you need to boycott it.
The people boycotting GOG are doing so because they care about the store and about DRM-free and are not willing to accept the recent backsliding of GOG's promises. The aim is to support DRM-free by insisting that GOG stays true to its founding values and to make it clear that further movement in the misguided direction they have been heading in will not be financially successful. GOG's customers have every right to withhold their purchases to make their voices heard. If GOG's management don't want to listen to what their customers are saying, that is their folly.

I guess it's a matter of perspective.
high rated
Gudadantza: One of the most perverse goals of this topic is trying to convince people that support GOG, use GOG as the main videogaing store to purchase things is the wrong thing to do. To support DRM free and to support GOG you need to boycott it.

Let's see. Here are all the options if someone no longer wants to buy games here (for any reason or number of reasons):

1. Keep buying even though you don't want to - clearly absurd.
2. Stop buying without letting GOG know why, giving them no chance to improve and get you back as a customer - not very productive, I think.
3. What people here are doing - stop buying and let GOG know exactly why, and what they need to do to have you back as a paying customer.

Now, which of those three options sound "demential", and which one sounds reasonable?
Post edited December 01, 2021 by Breja
low rated
Stop boycotting GOG you ********.

[Modded by Sarafan]
Post edited December 02, 2021 by Sarafan
low rated

Time4Tea: Interesting. What I find perverse is a company building up its business on the basis of championing certain ethical principles (DRM-free) and then proceeding to try to walk back on that, breaking the promises it has been making to its customers, whilst simultaneously assisting a repressive, totalitarian regime in imposing its vision of censorship on the rest of the world.

Gudadantza: To support DRM free and to support GOG you need to boycott it.
Time4Tea: The people boycotting GOG are doing so because they care about the store and about DRM-free and are not willing to accept the recent backsliding of GOG's promises. The aim is to support DRM-free by insisting that GOG stays true to its founding values and to make it clear that further movement in the misguided direction they have been heading in will not be financially successful. GOG's customers have every right to withhold their purchases to make their voices heard. If GOG's management don't want to listen to what their customers are saying, that is their folly.

I guess it's a matter of perspective.
As I already suspected, and based in your answer, a boycott based in subjectivities, phantasmagories and pseudopolitical cnspiracies and Phobias.

Ok, it is fine. You can continue.

But, nothing in your claims are solid enough to justfy this overreaction. Less "Spartacus" and more humility, please. The people not defending this boycott is a majority.
low rated

Breja: Let's see. Here are all the options if someone no longer wants to buy games here (for any reason or number of reasons):

2. Stop buying without letting GOG know why, giving them no chance to improve and get you back as a customer - not very productive, I think.
3. What people here are doing - stop buying and let GOG know exactly why, and what they need to do to have you back as a paying customer.

Now, which of those three options sound "demential", and which one sounds reasonable?
It is pretty simple. If you want to support any store, support it. If you do not want to support it, do not purchase in that store.
If you want to damage any store for an reason, boycott it. The rest are just paralel universes and excuses.

If you consider that thngs can improve, give visiility to your demands and solutions and less toxicity. Even it helps to support a company or store.

The problem is that what I see here is just the headquarters of the Fifth Column at its fullest. The demands themselves are irrelevant, the important thing is the journey and the noise.
You know. It is my vision of the situation. If someone is perceiving this thread in that way you could wonder why.
Gudadantza: The people not defending this boycott is a majority.
Just saying, not that I entirely disagree with you, being in he majority does not make anyone correct, and for as generally intelligent and thought out as your posts have been, this bit of mindless drivel seems out of place.
high rated
Breja: Let's see. Here are all the options if someone no longer wants to buy games here (for any reason or number of reasons):

Gudadantza: It is pretty simple. If you want to support any store, support it. If you do not want to support it, do not purchase in that store.
If you want to damage any store for an reason, boycott it. The rest are just paralel universes and excuses.

If you consider that thngs can improve, give visiility to your demands and solutions and less toxicity. Even it helps to support a company or store.

The problem is that what I see here is just the headquarters of the Fifth Column at its fullest. The demands themselves are irrelevant, the important thing is the journey and the noise.
You know. It is my vision of the situation. If someone is perceiving this thread in that way you could wonder why.
I don't know if it's you poor english or what, but your replies never make any sense. You never respond sensibly to anything anyone says, I'm not even sure if you understand what's being said. You never provide a logical counterargument to anything. Your every response is just this hypocritical mess of replying to a logical argument with insults and ravings about "Fifth Columns" and the like, like we're at war or something, and then accusing the peopel who are trying to have a civil conversation with you of being toxic.

Not that you're alone in this. Most people attacking the boycott act like this. It's like some people are just so fanatical about a store (a store, for god's sake!) that they take this as some kind of personal attack against them, and lash out with personal attack in response.

I'm not even boycotting, I just can't stand the rampant nonsense, lack of logic and vitriol thrown around in impotent, fanboy rage. Not to even mention how tired I am of people talking about "supporting" a store. It's a freaking store, a corporate entity, not your sick aunt or an orphanage. Its something you do business with (or not) not something you "support".
Post edited December 01, 2021 by Breja
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Are you really, though?

You are right that GOG is in dire financial straits, so in one sense, yes, the Boycotters could be considered to be "winning" from that perspetive.

But if you fully win, and GOG gets shut down, then your GOG games library becomes much less secure, given that you would never be able to access your games from GOG's servers again in the future.

Even if you have backup(s) of your games, having an extra backup that is perpetually available from GOG's servers would still provide much more security for your GOG library than would having your own backup(s) alone and with no support from GOG's servers.

Therefore, for those reasons, even if the Boycotters win, they still lose.

Having said that, I'm not intending to bash the idea of boycotting GOG, as I can understand the very good reasons for why many former customers do that, and I am supportive of those reasons.

But it's a complicated situation, since GOG going down will be a Loss for the Boycotters as well.
The main loss with GOG going down is not in term of backup integrity. For that, there is this which is pretty afforable even with terabytes of data: https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

Granted, you need some technical expertize to leverage it and it will cost you if your primary backup goes kaput and you need to retrieve from glacier (I assume that would not occur very often).

No, the main loss if GOG goes down is that your library will no longer be updated.

You will miss out on any future content update for your games and more importantly, on future OS updates (because any OS you use is a moving target), meaning you need to become proefficient in making legacy software work with newer OSes (and make no mistake, eventually, all the games in your library will become legacy software if they don't receive proper os compatibility updates).
Post edited December 01, 2021 by Magnitus
low rated
Gudadantza: The people not defending this boycott is a majority.
paladin181: Just saying, not that I entirely disagree with you, being in he majority does not make anyone correct, and for as generally intelligent and thought out as your posts have been, this bit of mindless drivel seems out of place.
The Boycott defenders act like if this thread and OP points were the supreme truth. I am just saying that shouldn't be out of place remember that the so called boycott is supported by 120 users. They should work with that in mind. Ad with less agresiveness with diffeent opinions not defending this boycott. It's been a lot of users and cases.

The evidence of the importance of a minority is that a thread pretty hostile with GOG exists in the own GOG forums. And in the first page from time to time. I don't see any problem in that regard.

greetings
low rated
Gudadantza: It is pretty simple. If you want to support any store, support it. If you do not want to support it, do not purchase in that store.

Breja: I'm not even boycotting, I just can't stand the rampant nonsense, lack of logic and vitriol thrown around in impotent, fanboy rage. Not to even mention how tired I am of people talking about "supporting" a store. It's a freaking store, a corporate entity, not your sick aunt or an orphanage. Its something you do business with (or not) not something you "support".
The matter is that the creator of this Thread is a so DRM free defender and it is so important for him that he created a boycott to protect the principle of pure DRM Free and blah, blah blah. Ok. To me this is absurd and in my subjective vision, suspicious.

About the word support, it is something important for those people, I guess. You are in GOG, after all. It shouldn't be a surprise for you.

Sumarizing again, If you or anyone want to support a store, do support it. If you want to support DRM Free, do it or don't do it, but do not change the meaning of their acts.
Breja: I'm not even boycotting, I just can't stand the rampant nonsense, lack of logic and vitriol thrown around in impotent, fanboy rage. Not to even mention how tired I am of people talking about "supporting" a store. It's a freaking store, a corporate entity, not your sick aunt or an orphanage. Its something you do business with (or not) not something you "support".
Gudadantza: The matter is that the creator of this Thread is a so DRM free defender and it is so important for him that he created a boycott to protect the principle of pure DRM Free and blah, blah blah. Ok. To me this is absurd and in my subjective vision, suspicious.

About the word support, it is something important for those people, I guess. You are in GOG, after all. It shouldn't be a surprise for you.

Sumarizing again, If you or anyone want to support a store, do support it. If you want to support DRM Free, do it or don't do it, but do not change the meaning of their acts.
Again - alphabet soup. None of this makes any sense.
To me its not a case of boycotting GoG, or any business for that matter, unless they stop providing the services I use. If they stopped selling DRM-Free games and stopped providing the offline installers, then for me there would be no advantage in buying from GoG as opposed to Steam. I have games on both platforms as well as others.

I keep my GoG game installers on a hard drive choosing to use them offline without Galaxy. There is no official Linux version of Galaxy but I doubt whether I would use it if there were TBH.

I've avoided buying some content, Hitman is notable, it was not DRM Free from what I could see, but I've also avoided other games which need online access for some parts of the game, No Mans Sky DLC for example. Why pay money for a crippled game.

All in all I'm OK with whats available on GoG, DRM-Free, offline Installers, a mixture of older and newer games.

They could do so much better for me personally. I'd like to see more Linux support and there are various ways of doing that. I'd also like to see native Linux installers being maintained. I would prefer GoG to be politically neutral, I don't think a business should engage in the activities that members of GoG and CDPR appear to have in the past, unless its a stated aim on their articles of association. We would then know whose, or what, values we're buying into. I guess at the moment this is an issue with GoG.
If a business has defined it's usp then I expect them to adhere to keep to it ...I suppose my pet peeve is reading that something is DRM-Free when it patently is not.
low rated
Gudadantza: The matter is that the creator of this Thread is a so DRM free defender and it is so important for him that he created a boycott to protect the principle of pure DRM Free and blah, blah blah. Ok. To me this is absurd and in my subjective vision, suspicious.

Breja: Again - alphabet soup. None of this makes any sense.
Don't worry, your reading skills will mprove with time and hard work.
low rated
EchoOfMidgar: Stop boycotting GOG you *******.
No.

[Modded by Sarafan: Edited the quoted part]
Attachments:
no.jpg (51 Kb)
low rated
EchoOfMidgar: Stop boycotting GOG you ******.
fronzelneekburm: No.
Why are you so toxic? :D

[Modded by Sarafan: Edited the quoted part]