It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GamezRanker asked to be added (for two weeks) to the boycott list.

He cannot post himself because of this:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/another_gamezranker_update

Please post comments, if any, there, so as not to off-topic this thread.
mrkgnao: GamezRanker asked to be added (for two weeks) to the boycott list.

Thanks for posting this, mrkgnao - have added him. I'm sorry to hear he is still subject to a forum ban and I hope we will see him again soon.

(I have also updated the first post to indicate that Hitman (2016) has been resolved)
low rated
mrkgnao: GamezRanker asked to be added (for two weeks) to the boycott list.

Not possible to post commets there. Framboos locked it after admitting that he can't explain the reason why GamezRanker was blocked. "Yea, we totally had a valid reason for that decision but I can't say which!" ... another prime example of GOG non-communication.
Time4Tea: This clearly shows that large-scale protests by GOG's current user base can be effective and achieve results. This also proves conclusively that those who have been saying since the start of the year that customer action won't achieve anything, that we are too few and they won't listen - they are wrong. Period.
Magnitus: I'll admit I was surprised. I thought GOG was just about ready to either completely scrap or seriously scale back its drm-free policy based on the fact that other venues were perceived by management as way more lucrative.

Time will tell if that will become the case later on, but for now, I misjudged things.

That being said, while the community is united at the threshold of significant single-player content being drm-free, I do believe it is fragmented enough on other issues that you won't reach the critical mass necessary for a successful boycott for anything beyond that.

For example, you care about Devotion and I don't really. Similarly, I care about multiplayer and from what I read in your post, you probably don't care about it that much.
Me too, being surprised about the complaining being effective. Also I agree about the fragmentation, I'm very unlikely to boycott unless another Hitman situation occurs. And I don't care about multiplayer :p
low rated
Lifthrasil: Not possible to post commets there. Framboos locked it after admitting that he can't explain the reason why GamezRanker was blocked. "Yea, we totally had a valid reason for that decision but I can't say which!" ... another prime example of GOG non-communication.
It was justified enough, believe me. The moderation team never comments their decisions publicly. GamezRanker case falls into this category as well. I don't see a reason why there should be an exception in this case. Anyway, if you have any doubts or questions please send a direct message to Framboos and avoid discussing the moderation process publicly, because it's a violation of our rules.
Post edited October 13, 2021 by Sarafan
You can add my name to the list.

For the reasons you exposed, and others. Like that tendency to let games out-to-date. For example, I've learned recently that GOG had a translation for a game since 2019 and the game have never been updated. And when I ask them how is it possible, they say they never got it - but the dev showed me an email proving the opposite - or they say nothing.

I've just had enough of this. I'm boycotting GOG.
Sarafan: avoid discussing the moderation process publicly, because it's a violation of our rules.
That's a great rule to have when moderation sucks. A pity the rampant rep abuse which has reduced the system to a tool for trolls isn't a violation of the rules.
Post edited October 13, 2021 by Breja
low rated
Breja: That's a great rule to have when moderation sucks. A pity the rampant rep abuse which has reduced the system to a tool for trolls isn't a violation of the rules.
No, it actually prevents the forum from becoming a mess due to unnecessary accusations. No one is happy when he receives a warning or a ban and most of them would like to comment publicly how much alleged “undeserved harm” was made to them. As for rep abuse, it was said already that we don’t have access to information who downvotes or upvotes the posts. At this moment not much can be done with this issue.
Post edited October 13, 2021 by Sarafan
Breja: That's a great rule to have when moderation sucks. A pity the rampant rep abuse which has reduced the system to a tool for trolls isn't a violation of the rules.
Sarafan: No, it actually prevents the forum from becoming a mess due to unnecessary accusations. No one is happy when he receives a warning or a ban and most of them would like to comment publicly how much alleged “undeserved harm” was made to them.
Well, I can't really argue with that. I mean I could, but I'd get banned :D
low rated
Sarafan: No, it actually prevents the forum from becoming a mess due to unnecessary accusations. No one is happy when he receives a warning or a ban and most of them would like to comment publicly how much alleged “undeserved harm” was made to them. As for rep abuse, it was said already that we don’t have access to information who downvotes or upvotes the posts. At this moment not much can be done with this issue.
I actually PM-ed to Framboos and thanks to his reply I understand that you can't share details about a user or about your communication with them without their consent. However, while I understand where that rule comes from, it should be possible (and no breach of privacy) to link to some offending thread. Unless that has been removed.

But about the rep abuse problem: that would be really, really easy to fix. Over the years many suggestions have been made. The easiest being: either remove the system entirely since in it's current form it serves no positive purpose whatsoever, or replace the downvote button and just leave the upvote button. Adding a 'report' button for serious cases of misconduct instead. The downvote has no purpose but to feed trolls and give some users a method to disagree with someone anonymously. Or just to be mean anonymously.
There are other possible solutions for the rep abuse, but GOG has never even attempted to fix the problem.
Post edited October 13, 2021 by Lifthrasil
low rated
Lifthrasil: But about the rep abuse problem: that would be really, really easy to fix. Over the years many suggestions have been made. The easiest being: either remove the system entirely since in it's current form it serves no positive purpose whatsoever, or replace the downvote button and just leave the upvote button. Adding a 'report' button for serious cases of misconduct instead.
Personally I'd like it best if "-" was replaced with "hide".
low rated
Lifthrasil: But about the rep abuse problem: that would be really, really easy to fix. Over the years many suggestions have been made. The easiest being: either remove the system entirely since in it's current form it serves no positive purpose whatsoever, or replace the downvote button and just leave the upvote button. Adding a 'report' button for serious cases of misconduct instead.
Breja: Personally I'd like it best if "-" was replaced with "hide".
Even better if the rep number was just hidden if they can't actually remove it, the rep number is hidden on blues and moderators so it should be possible to just make that global on the forums.
low rated
Lifthrasil: Not possible to post commets there. Framboos locked it after admitting that he can't explain the reason why GamezRanker was blocked. "Yea, we totally had a valid reason for that decision but I can't say which!" ... another prime example of GOG non-communication.
Sarafan: It was justified enough, believe me. The moderation team never comments their decisions publicly. GamezRanker case falls into this category as well. I don't see a reason why there should be an exception in this case. Anyway, if you have any doubts or questions please send a direct message to Framboos and avoid discussing the moderation process publicly, because it's a violation of our rules.
Modding in silence, even when the offence is done in public, is simply silly. Let alone the inconsistency displayed in how modding in handled out. Additionally, saying people can't discuss modding publicly is so utterly bizarre I can't quite comprehend why, especially after the Hitman affair, GOG would be so ignorant towards the views of their users.

Effective moderation does not mean turning up when you get a report, banning people then leaving. All that does is grow distrust and leave room for people to create theories. I'm not going to say anymore as I'd have to issue an invoice afterwards lol

The easier option does not equal the best option.
high rated
Hey guys, I appreciate your opinions, but I think it would be best to not discuss GOG forum moderation methods here. Sarafan has said he doesn't want to discuss it and I don't want the thread to get locked.

I think it's a good discussion, but probably belongs in a different thread.
Yeah to get a little more focused, I know it has been linked before but I just wantto say I find the list from this thread very helpful:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors/page1

I won't link or name it here, but I recently found an interesting adult game on itch.io (even though I still say their site is horrendous to browse with the infinite scrolling repeating games and poor filters, e.g. can't filter OUT free games or in-dev games).

Does anyone have any tips on how to browse there or is it like I suspect and this is as "good" as it gets?