It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Today's removal of "HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition" from the GOG store is one step on the right direction, but there are a bunch more left pending!

+Games that treat GOG customers as second class citizens
+Let's review the review system
+Games that need Galaxy for multiplayer and the ones that don't
+DRM-free multiplayer: list of games that actually are 100% DRM-free
+To CD Projekt Red - bring Witcher 3 and your other games to Linux please.
+The Unannounced Addition of Linux and macOS Versions Thread
+Quake Enhanced Update
+AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead And Undressed is a Steam-rip
+Piggybacking off Cyberpunk 2077
+What are your 3 biggest issues with GOG and how could they fix those issues?

Therefore my -boycott- stands (term used to encapsulate the lost trust, the lost appetite to recommend GOG to my people & to buy GOG games, terrible service, plus the bullets above among others)

I invite the rest of the GOGers reading this post to use their wallet power buying wisely, considering what/who/when/why you are financing with those purchases.

I am afraid I am not going to say thanks to GOG about the HITMAN removal because it's their job (duty). Seems to me GOG employees are spoiled enough of the diligent treatment from its customers no matter what.

I don't forget GOG lied, GOG has been lying, and GOG even continue lying!
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/special_event_bscummvm_20th_anniversaryb_90695

So, there is MUCH MORE GOG needs to Fix/Improve/Implement to retrieve my trust and my money.

More than regretting the purchase of games due my boycott, the most I regret is the full interaction with the GOGers community.

Despite the actions/thoughts every GOGer has to keep the -DRM Free- strong and if we agree or not on them: Thanks everyone! There is hope while we have a strong GOGers community!
dtgreene: There's itch.io which:
* Has its own client (though it's optional)
* Supports Linux in the client
* Has a lot of indie games, including a few major ones that aren't on GOG (Celeste comes to mind)
* Also has a lot of games that would not get past GOG curation (this includes things like game jam submissions)
Itch.io is great, but it's not quite at a point where I'd shop there exclusively, just in terms of genre preference. There have also been several cases of games in an early access format whose development was just dropped with the games seeing a full release elsewhere, so that's a bit discouraging. Apart from that it's great, but for the time being I view it more as a complementary source.
low rated
beresk_let: Look, dude, I am from Russia. I am used to see this kind of bs you're spitting around — like, A LOT. Sometimes it's called "agressive marketing", sometimes "damage control", sometimes, when it relates to personal relationships, it's "gaslighting", and sometimes just simply "propaganda". The common denominator is always the same: make bold assumptions about your opponent, generalise to make him look like a part of unpleasant crowd, belittle his opinion while speaking as if on behalf of the "reasonable majority", call his points out as emotional and never forget to keep your cape white and shiny.

So either you're doing it here on purpose, being a gog-bot, or you're doing it here on your own, being a troll for whatever reason. Either way, I won't bother to respond to you again: I'm not interested in raising this kind of engagement.
Time4Tea: There is a very simple term for it: ad-hominem. I.e. attacking and trying to undermine the credibility of someone you disagree with, rather than actually addressing the points they are making. It is a low form of debating technique, usually employed by those that don't have any rational arguments.
How is it ad-hominem if I'm criticizing your actions? You have 40 games in 6 years while I have 160 in 1.5 years, so that means I care 16 times more about DRM-free than you do. You've been cherrypicking all of GOG's bad points and ignoring ALL good like a propaganda machine. Where are you every time a DRM-free game is released? Why do you keep on advertising Zoom so much? No offense to those guys and I hope them well, but you're evangelizing for a company that has no obligation to run in a more open communicative style in the future and LOL if they ever decide to share their stats and finances so you can understand how well they're doing.

Learn to argue, please.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by BroscienceEngineer
high rated
BroscienceEngineer: You have 40 games in 6 years while I have 160 in 1.5 years, so that means I care 16 times more about DRM-free than you do.
Did get an online achievement for that, or did GOG deliver the trophy to your door?
BroscienceEngineer: You have 40 games in 6 years while I have 160 in 1.5 years, so that means I care 16 times more about DRM-free than you do.
Or you have more money or you bought loads of inexpensive games or there are more games of the type you like on here or Time4Tea bought DRM free games from other shops or Time4Tea has less time to play games so didn't need to buy as many...
I'll stay on the boycott for at least 3-4 months. Time will tell if gog will try to correct the problems (or at least stay the same as before hitman release) or if they will make another hitman-like drm release.

For now I can only say that I'm glad we where able to force them to remove hitman from the store. It's just a little victory but better than what I would hope for. If, at the very least, gog can stay drm free for single player games I will not boycott them in the future.
And I know many people here will continue the boycott for many good reasons, but I'll just try to trust them again if they don't screw up again in the next 3-4 months.

Also my wishlist is gone, any game that was on my wishlist will not be bought on gog because of this even if I will stop to boycott them.
low rated
I would like to be removed from the boycott lists. I am satisfied with GOG's reaction to hitman crisis. I am going to continue business with them for the time being.
BroscienceEngineer: How is it ad-hominem if I'm criticizing your actions? You have 40 games in 6 years while I have 160 in 1.5 years, so that means I care 16 times more about DRM-free than you do. You've been cherrypicking all of GOG's bad points and ignoring ALL good like a propaganda machine. Where are you every time a DRM-free game is released? Why do you keep on advertising Zoom so much? No offense to those guys and I hope them well, but you're evangelizing for a company that has no obligation to run in a more open communicative style in the future and LOL if they ever decide to share their stats and finances so you can understand how well they're doing.

Learn to argue, please.
Straw man much? No one was talking about you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by paladin181
BroscienceEngineer: >trollish ramblings<
paladin181: Straw man much? No one was talking about you.
The odd side effect of the Hitman debacle was that some really strange trolls sprouted up, and even some established users started trolling like crazy. It's been a really weird couple of weeks for the forum.
Time4Tea: I have updated the first post to include everyone who joined over the past few days. Thanks and welcome aboard!
You're welcome, but it seems you forgot to move me to the main list... ;)
low rated
BroscienceEngineer: How is it ad-hominem if I'm criticizing your actions? You have 40 games in 6 years while I have 160 in 1.5 years, so that means I care 16 times more about DRM-free than you do. You've been cherrypicking all of GOG's bad points and ignoring ALL good like a propaganda machine. Where are you every time a DRM-free game is released? Why do you keep on advertising Zoom so much? No offense to those guys and I hope them well, but you're evangelizing for a company that has no obligation to run in a more open communicative style in the future and LOL if they ever decide to share their stats and finances so you can understand how well they're doing.

Learn to argue, please.
This was originally marked as "trollish rambling," I have restored it for proper context

Breja: The odd side effect of the Hitman debacle was that some really strange trolls sprouted up, and even some established users started trolling like crazy. It's been a really weird couple of weeks for the forum.
When you call anyone who disagrees with you a troll, it makes the term bout as meaningful as the word bastard. This was a major debacle caused by IO, no shit it's going to bring out a lot of people passion, and that will make a lot of different people come out to share that conflicting set of ideals. The fact you seem to declare a man pointing out the problems with a company Tea and others have been shilling, and declaring a malicious misuse of ad-hominum, to be a "troll" because you disagree.

More on point. I will remind people that having your reasons for a boycott being challenged when you make a public issue out of it is just that, a challenge. If you have so little to defend yourself you start going into insults and refusing to hear anything but your own anger, then you might want to step back and look at your choices a bit more. For the people who adamantly demand a -hard- all or nothing, down to absolute zero, for any online system at all, for those willing to demand even Warcraft 3 should be barred from GoG, at least there is consistency there. But, you have to grasp why those like me are calling that just a tad extreme and not worth calling a boycott of the whole storefront over.
Breja: The odd side effect of the Hitman debacle was that some really strange trolls sprouted up, and even some established users started trolling like crazy. It's been a really weird couple of weeks for the forum.
Fair enough.
At least mastyer-kenobi posts thoughts that are coherent, even if he wants to criticize peoples' practices and beliefs that don't align with his own. He has a set of standards and will respond instead of the ridiculous drive-by trolling a few people like Engineer there have been practicing.

I'm just glad there was a good response to this debacle, and wait on tenterhooks for the next one. Of course, you just know there will be another one.
mastyer-kenobi: When you call anyone who disagrees with you a troll, it makes the term bout as meaningful as the word bastard.
Indeed. Not sure why you felt the need to state this, though. I mean, I'm sure you meant to imply that that's what I'm doing, but since it's obvious bullshit, I will be so kind as to pretend that your meaning remains a mistery.

mastyer-kenobi: This was a major debacle caused by IO,
No, it was caused by GOG. Also, no, I am not having this argument again. It's like arguing with flat-earthers.

mastyer-kenobi: no shit it's going to bring out a lot of people passion, and that will make a lot of different people come out to share that conflicting set of ideals. The fact you seem to declare a man pointing out the problems with a company Tea and others have been shilling, and declaring a malicious misuse of ad-hominum, to be a "troll" because you disagree.
You seem to have absolutely no idea what me, or anyone for that matter, is talking about.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by Breja
low rated
paladin181: I'm just glad there was a good response to this debacle
No there wasn't.

A good response would consist of all of the following:

1. GOG tells us exactly what happened every step of the way, and fully discloses, publicly, everything they are blameworthy for, i.e. did GOG initially tell IOI that it is fine if they (IOI) leave the DRM in the game? Or not? GOG needs to clarify this matter to their customers.

2. GOG explains exactly why it took them weeks to remove the game, instead of doing it instantly.

3. GOG also explains exactly what they "discussed" with IOI between the time when the DRM-infested game went live on GOG and when it was removed. I.e. was GOG trying to work out a fudge during that time where they might have allowed some DRM to remain, and then after 2 weeks, GOG backpedaled from the fudge attempt after they decided that their customers were too smart to be fooled by a fudge?

4. GOG promising to remove all the DRM that is already in the other games it is still currently selling, or else delist those games too (I.e. Cyberpunk 2077).

5. GOG promising to cancel the deal to sell EGS-DRM'ed games through Galaxy.

6. GOG promising never to sign more EGS-like deals in the future whereby other stores will also be allowed to sell their DRM'ed games through Galaxy.

Of course, in reality, GOG did none of the above. Therefore, their response to the Hitman GOTY debacle was terrible.

At best, their response could be classified as doing the absolute bare minimum that they felt they had to do to appease most of their customers in order to stop losing massive amounts of money.

The fact their terrible response worked so well, and most people are now praising GOG as if they did a wonderful job in their response, even though they actually did anything but, that does not bode well for the future of GOG being DRM-free.
Post edited October 09, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Ancient-Red-Dragon: -snip-
1-3 are, to put it mildly, unrealistic expectations, and 4-6, while I do agree with those points in an of themselves, are unrelated to Hitman, so listing them as "good response" to the Hitman incident is just... well, let's say silly.
Post edited October 09, 2021 by Breja