It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
B1tF1ghter: There is far more wrong [here than what has been discussed.]
Eli: Sir, you are talking to someone who was pointing out - and helping to fix - problems with this place before GOG was even out of beta.
Okay? Good for you?
And that changes... what exactly? (also, how are you expecting me to have known that BEFORE you just said it?)
What is your point here?
You seem to be prying on the implication that account age has ANYTHING to do with corresponding user's knowledge of issues in the used platform. And frankly that isn't true for majority of users on ANY platform.
For example I was digging through Steam insides long before I joined it.
I'm sorry to say this but your point here is pretty worthless.
Also, back when you claim to have been active GOG had COMPLETELY different attitude to community in general as well as it's feedback. Those times are UNCOMPARABLE to NOW.

Eli: That said, I appreciate the update, as I must admit that since about when you joined in 2015, I've mostly been absent, and have missed a lot, I'm sure.
*internal annoyed screaming noises*
PLASE, DON'T go the "you have joined later route".
Just... DON'T.
The account age has literally NOTHING to do with platform knowledge and participation and *often* old users have less of an idea about platform issues than new ones.
Please don't ever bring account age into this conversation again. (unless we are talking about users who joined within 1-2 years back as those USUALLY have NO IDEA)
That's a big reaction. Just providing some context really, and saying, you know, I understood what you were saying, and again, appreciated your point.
Eli: That's a big reaction.
There is an endless horde of random toxic people in this thread (not EVERYBODY is like that here but that doesn't change what I've just said) so I don't know if I should expect goodwill BY DEFAULT from ANYBODY.
Hope you understand that.

Eli: Just providing some context really, and saying, you know, I understood what you were saying, and again, appreciated your point.
Ok. Understood.
Peace then. (either way, peace)
^_^

You know what, Tom says he's toxic, but really he's just a bit radioactive. Like a banana. Secretly delicious and pleasant, if you don't get scared off by the Geiger counter. ;-)
rjbuffchix: I'm aware what the OP has said. I could've worded my post more clearly as what I said wasn't intending to refer to him, but, rather, to the rest of the folks discussing the matter who didn't actively take that same stance. In other words, I am saying that forum censorship based on perceived political reasons is only relevant in this topic to those who are specifically boycotting for that reason. The reason I make that distinction is because it seems like people (not necessarily in this topic, but on this forum and in general) will take any excuse to turn a topic into "my tyrant is BETTER than your tyrant" political based discussion and I am trying, hoping against hope, to nip that in the bud so this topic doesn't get locked.
Not sure what you mean with "in this topic" (etc) but you being afraid of this thread being closed does to me imply that forum censorship matters signficantly to you personally. Consequently if we are looking for a list of things to improve - such as what is in the OP - then forum censorship should be on it or not? (Also because being able to make and communicate such a list would be necessary for such a list being useful?) And if yes - how can it not be relevant?
Post edited May 09, 2021 by Zrevnur
low rated
Eli: Tom, you've parsed a lot of text, and landed some good shots, but you lost the debate a long time ago. Take the loss and shake hands, Big Daddy.
Always :-)

Also I do think a good discussion has its own worth, and is not foremost about "winning" or "losing". I try to understand the viewpoint of the other, and hope to make my point of view understood. That doesn't mean we have to agree - people have different backgrounds, priorities, sensitivities after all. Convincing someone is a nice-to-have. As is getting convinced (means - I've learnt something).

Well, if someone gets insulting or makes ridiculous claims - that's when a discussion becomes impossible. Best to walk away, but sometimes I simply can't stop myself from getting a little snarky. Sorry for that.
I've just updated the first post. Sorry for the delay, as I mentioned before I have been exceptionally busy lately.

We are now at 99 people officially boycotting, so just short of the magic number (who wants the honour of being #100)?

Also worth noting is that the Devotion wishlist request just passed 9000 votes, so it is still steadily climbing.

Eli:
Hi Eli, did you want to be added to the boycott list? It seems from some of your posts that you sympathize with the cause, but I didn't see you explicitly say you want to be added.
low rated
randomuser.833: blah blah blah USA blah blah blah Europe
(...)
Anything you wanted to add?`
B1tF1ghter: I would like to point out that there is world outside of US and Germany.
You should really stop (RIGHT NOW) pointing fingers with "YOU are from the US, ...and YOU are from the US... and YOU (...)".
It's starting to really piss me off.
Some people will casually brush this off and laugh at this. But it WILL offend some people.
Not everybody views same countries in same ways. Some people WILL get offended when having certain-countries tags put on them without ANY proof whatsoever.
You are being so deep in your lucid nefarious typewriting that you seem to have forgotten that when you accuse somebody of connections with country X or Z you should have SOME proof to back it off first and foremost.
"Reworking a quote like that only shows that you are here for your own entertainment and nothing else.

1. I never claimed, that my "free speech" is violated if GoG would shut down this thread. That came from your side of the medal (for you to understand, NOT you, your side). Cry havoc and release the dogs of war, if my rights are violated... Look through the thread, you will find many examples.
By a company (as you pointed out - and I did too...) that does not even fall under US-Law at all.
1b. I just pointed out, that it is a Law between the nation of the USA and citizens of the USA and that it does not even applies to privat comapanys in the USA and their customers.
Still people try to claim it as an universal and world wide law just to say everything to everyone in every place.
This is not made up by me, this has happend several times in this thread.

2. This whole free speech everywhere is a thing mostly made up by guys from the USA or people who misunderstand what it means (often enough both...).
Just wanted to point it out.

3. I just choose germany as ONE example how even a nation can restrict "free speech". It isn't the only example but one of the best know world wide for gamers because of "german versions" of games with WW2 themes.

Btw, I very sure you posted, that you have left GoG more or less way before this thread poped up.
Or the nick would have been very similar to yours.
low rated
toxicTom: [...]
TRUTH!

You're the man Tom. Plenty of snarkiness from plenty of GOGers to go around in this one.
Time4Tea: Hi Eli, did you want to be added to the boycott list? It seems from some of your posts that you sympathize with the cause, but I didn't see you explicitly say you want to be added.
You know what, thank you for asking. I try not to add myself to too many public "lists", you know? Like, oh hey, here's this convenient LIST OF PEOPLE for anyone to take for a big ball-kicking party. Like, no, thanks. I do love your post though, good stuff. And the stuff you enumerate, as I've said, is super obvious and non-controversial, in my eyes, though your presentation is pretty inflammatory, and I can definitely see now how it's off-putting to some.

Also, while I definitely support you guys trying to effect positive changes here - something I've personally tried to do, and have at times actually achieved in small ways, for over a decade - and while I even support your methodology as sound and potentially effective, this is pretty new to me, and there's still a lot I have to think about. I've supported GOG for a long, LONG-ass time. Even through a lot of stuff I disagreed with and didn't love, I still don't have a Steam account and have long felt I was dying on a hill that no one else even gave a damn about anymore. So boycotting GOG entirely would be a pretty extreme step for me (not that I've bought anything too recently). But I'll definitely let you know if I ever make that call.

I feel like an idiot on a fence, but for now, I hope you and the rest of the people on your list will at least accept my respect, and know that I admire your conviction, and that I believe you to be a good person who, with the added difficulty of substantial public scrutiny and criticism, is trying to do the right thing.
Eli: I've supported GOG for a long, LONG-ass time. Even through a lot of stuff I disagreed with and didn't love, I still don't have a Steam account and have long felt I was dying on a hill that no one else even gave a damn about anymore.
That sums me up as well.

And I'm deeply worried about developments like the Epic deal and locking away CP77 bonuses behind a client requirement. And now with the debacle of the CP-release, lawsuits and all the CDP shares have dropped considerably (ok, they were massively overrated and hyped), making a hostile takeover more likely.
Who knows what the future brings? GOG is suspiciously absent from CDP roadmaps. Changes of management can also happen anytime, when someone takes the blame, and their hat.
So - and yes I'm being selfish here - I currently actually buy more games than ever - and run gogrepo.py regularly. So if it all goes down the drain I at least have my offline installers, and I can walk away. And if it doesn't - well I supported GOG in a difficult time. But that's just how I handle it, nobody is asked to see it the same way. As I wrote - a selfish and pragmatic stance. I have to admit that I've lost the hope that GOG will change for the better - the CP77 bonuses show that DRM-free is their gimmick, not their ideal nowadays, because it's something they themselves (CDPR and GOG) did (as opposed to for instance the NMS problems, where Hello Games is to blame), and it's something they could probably fix in a few minutes - but they choose not to.

But hey, now I'm doing the same thing that I'm so annoyed with - that the GOG forums have a reputation of being all doom and gloom and negativity and are fully of grumpy and whiny people. And now I'm joining in... well.
low rated
B1tF1ghter: ...
randomuser.833: "Reworking a quote like that only shows that you are here for your own entertainment and nothing else.
Actually the way I reworked the quote you so desperately pick on is the way that allowed me to preserve the very bits relevant for the message I wanted to convey (you circling around 2 countries in your messages) while retaining my ability to STILL BARELY fit in character limit. This way instead of creating 2 long-a** messages I succedded in fitting in just one.

randomuser.833: 1b. I just pointed out, that it is a Law between the nation of the USA and citizens of the USA and that it does not even applies to privat comapanys in the USA and their customers.
Still people try to claim it as an universal and world wide law just to say everything to everyone in every place.
This is not made up by me, this has happend several times in this thread.
The thing is, when I am referring ("I", precisely ME, not anybody else) to "free speech" I mean an international standard based somewhere in international human rights and NOT in ANY way related to vastly... "unusual"... US laws.
It's true that A LOT of people just DON'T understand what free speech is about and where it applies.
It's also true that many countries choose to ignore international human rights and the certain big country sandwitched between "country commonly used for racist jokes by the sandwitched country" and "country commonly used for immigration jokes by the sandwitched country" can be seen as one of those by many.
It doesn't change the fact tho that free speech is an international thing by design and generally speaking it should apply EVERYWHERE regardless if it's a public space, citizen laws, or private corp with operating in country Q.

randomuser.833: Btw, I very sure you posted, that you have left GoG more or less way before this thread poped up.
Or the nick would have been very similar to yours.
There is a user here called "BitMaster" or some such.
He/she is in no way related to me.
It perhaps might have been him/her you are referring to.

Time4Tea: Hi Eli, did you want to be added to the boycott list? It seems from some of your posts that you sympathize with the cause, but I didn't see you explicitly say you want to be added.
Eli: You know what, thank you for asking. I try not to add myself to too many public "lists", you know? Like, oh hey, here's this convenient LIST OF PEOPLE for anyone to take for a big ball-kicking party. Like, no, thanks.
You know, some people MAY take their time to painstakingly disect a list of thread PARTICIPANTS from this thread by hand.
In which case you are ALREADY HERE.
So your "not signing up to not be immediately seen" only works for the "immediatelly" part ;)

Eli: I still don't have a Steam account and have long felt I was dying on a hill that no one else even gave a damn about anymore.
I have a Steam account. I have more games on Steam than I have on GOG.
FOR ME Steam is infinitely better on a TECHNICAL level (the one level that MOST users will NEVER perceive nor care about). For *example* GOG's API is:
1.ATTROCIOUS ABOMINATION
2.Not even publicly PROPERLY documented
There is also fundamental lack of OFFICIAL GOG tool of the kind like SteamCMD.
Also SteamDB counterpart called GOGDB is pretty worthless even after a moderately long time of being around.
Also GOG while claiming to be all "DRM free friendly" doesn't allow you to AUTOMATICALLY (as in, without support's involvement) download older builds of your owned games - something that you can do EASILY on Steam if you have technical know-how - that's why USUALLY GOG builds are USELESS for speedruns.
There is many more things like this.
On TECHNICAL level Steam is better (FOR ME). Also Valve supports Linux directly, while GOG is constantly putting an afront in it's direction.
FOR ME there are MANY things far better on Steam.
That does not mean I don't see it's flaws.
That also doesn't mean I am some "fanboy". I am not.
I see Steam's flaws and I try to make Valve fix those.
Here's a bit of true story:
If you try hard enough and talk to the right people (at Valve) you CAN make them change some things.
At least 1 thing I nagged them about got changed (I won't list what it is here but it was a very welcomed change for many people).
UNFORTUNATELLY GOG puts on a facade PRETENDING to listen (the infamous ever-open community wishes that are in fact just a convenient way to pretend to do SOMETHING while doing NOTHING) while in reality they seem to just NOT CARE, and the latest few years of "unfortunate developments" only bring it more to light for those who didn't already know.

Eli: substantial public scrutiny and criticism
I don't know your age. And even if I would it wouldn't matter.
I am in fact probably younger than you.
But LIFE EXPERIENCE has NOTHING to do with age.
So, I don't know what you experienced in life, but I can give you a tip:
Don't worry (that does not mean to just put on pink glasses and NOT CARE, don't confuse those 2 as these are 2 different attitudes). Don't pay attention to the worldwide hate.
Just put on headphones with Doom (2016) music and do your thing while swimming through ever-spreading hordes of idiots worldwide ;)

toxicTom: I have to admit that I've lost the hope that GOG will change for the better - the CP77 bonuses show that DRM-free is their gimmick, not their ideal nowadays well.
Speaking of which, it could be possibly the best outcome for GOG to actually branch off and become independent from CDPR-G.
From my perspective GOG is ALWAYS an afterthought for CDPR-G and is treated in a very slack way.
It would have higher chances in succeeding as a store IN THE LONG RUN if it would be independent, instead of being under money-hungry constantly-kept-being-accused-of-mistreating-employees umbrella corp.

toxicTom: But hey, now I'm doing the same thing that I'm so annoyed with - that the GOG forums have a reputation of being all doom and gloom and negativity and are fully of grumpy and whiny people. And now I'm joining in... well.
GOG forums is an abomination that has:
1.Profoundly outdated CMS design, things break, and even after reports NOBODY CARES
2.A design that seemingly takes the worst from similar platforms and creates some monstrosity (what's the point of rep system if it is THAT BADLY DESIGNED?)
3.Possibility of bringing out people's inner monsters. This forum is among the most toxic public ones across the entire internet.

---------
btw - in before this post gets mass downvoted again - this is something I meant to outright say for a long time:
It seems like it's an implied unofficial rule that one shall not post too much and not be too active in a thread (and not write "long" posts) in this forum as some people get "upset" by the person "taking space" and they just choose to unleash their fury on the rep voting system.
It's so profoundly stupid and funny at the same time.
Like - what - am I supposed to just say one short thing and shut up for several pages?
Grow up people. Just because I am ACTIVE IN A THREAD is not sound enough justification to blindly downvote EVERY post of mine ONCE YOU START.
It's almost like some people here don't control themselves once they start hating.
B1tF1ghter: btw - in before this post gets mass downvoted again - this is something I meant to outright say for a long time:
It seems like it's an implied unofficial rule that one shall not post too much and not be too active in a thread (and not write "long" posts) in this forum as some people get "upset" by the person "taking space" and they just choose to unleash their fury on the rep voting system.
It's so profoundly stupid and funny at the same time.
Like - what - am I supposed to just say one short thing and shut up for several pages?
Grow up people. Just because I am ACTIVE IN A THREAD is not sound enough justification to blindly downvote EVERY post of mine ONCE YOU START.
It's almost like some people here don't control themselves once they start hating.
Well I agree with you on that point 100% at least.
low rated
toxicTom: [1 metric ton of hardcore honesty.]
Jesus Tom, that was super honest, and it actually kind of gave me chills. I know exactly what you're saying and feeling, and I relate entirely. I don't know what else to say, but I think you've tapped pretty well into what a lot of us old guard are feeling right now, having lived through it all. I've had private conversations with people who express very similar things. There's no "right" answer to this stuff. It's just not a pleasant situation and we all have to deal with it in whichever way we can.
toxicTom: Who knows what the future brings? GOG is suspiciously absent from CDP roadmaps. Changes of management can also happen anytime, when someone takes the blame, and their hat.
There are persistent rumours that both divisions, GOG and Project Red really dislike each other and it seems that one division seems to be on chopping block.

toxicTom: So - and yes I'm being selfish here - I currently actually buy more games than ever - and run gogrepo.py regularly.
I also recommend strongly to build an archive for all your games to have them offline, either with gogrepo(c), gogcli or lgogdownloader, just to be on the safe side. The day something happens to GOG, their download servers will be overloaded and you will have problems getting anything off your library.

GOG is a lost cause. They gradually shedded everything they stood for and is one example of a company which only "listens" if it does not contradict their business plans.

In addition, I have the impression in order to "combat Valve", they go in bed with everyone who is against Valve, like Microsoft, Epic, Sony, there are no problems consorting with them and adding themselves DRM under their hood (just look in C:\ProgramData\Galaxy what it is doing and you do not get your games removed from an integration you have removed except bugging the support team). This is also easily demonstrated by having direct support for these companies / libraries in GOG Galaxy, but relegating Steam Support to a "community" plugin.

If you really wanna have a sane implementation of an overarchng launcher, get PlayNite. it also has a very GOG Galaxy community theme called Stardust for it and all your data is stored locally and not on somebody else's servers, like GOG does.
Post edited May 10, 2021 by coffeecup