It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

samuraigaiden: This. The best way to boycott GOG is to stop coming here. Every time you click on anything in this website you people help make it more relevant on search engines.

We don't hate GOG. We don't want GOG to fail. On the contrary, we want it to succeed.

GOG got to this point by doing things based on a core set of business and personal ethics and values. Ethics and values they have now lost. If you look at the users who are changing their spending habits and pointing out GOGs errors, you will notice most of us have been members for a decade or longer.

mrkgnao: *SNIP
samuraigaiden: I'll say one thing. If a random user starts using my forums or my social media posts comment section to call for a boycott of my company or my products, I would ban that user in a hear beat. Clearly GOG is a lot more tolerant.
You should move to Venezuela, you would fit in perfect. The audacity that customers or people should be allowed to express opinions, question decisions or challenge ideas can't be tolerated.

As far as us being random users, again take a look. Most of us have been members for a decade or more. Knowing what I have spent (and I am not 0.1% of spenders) I would put money to say the business those in this thread -boycotting or limiting buying - have combined to spend $12,000-15,000 (minimum) business with GOG over the past decade-plus. And that is a list of about a dozen people or so. I bet the reality is we are closer to $25,000 (US) conservatively. An average of 250 games among the group, some more some less, at an average of $10 a game gets us there just like that.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by MajicMan
samuraigaiden: I'll say one thing. If a random user starts using my forums or my social media posts comment section to call for a boycott of my company or my products, I would ban that user in a hear beat. Clearly GOG is a lot more tolerant.
_Notus_: If GOG banned these people, it would be even worse for their reputation. If they don't, it's either because they don't know what to do anymore, or they don't want whatever rep they have left to be burnt.

Or...

This may sound like a conspiracy theory, but now that I think of it, what if someone with great influence in GOG's decisions is actually trying to cripple the store? If so, letting all this chaos slide would be beneficial for them.
I can only wonder what their intentions would be, for trying to do such a thing. Maybe a game of control over the market share? Maybe they want to associate DRM free with bad things, so people will resort/go back to DRM'd gaming? I hope I'm wrong, but now I'm worried of what might be the case.
Too much liability for someone inside gog. Someone outside gog would not be able to orchestrate these controversies. I chalk this up to the failings of corporate mentality, given that the levels of indirection between the consumer and those who hold the company responsible (which is not the consumer, like it would be under capitalism) are too numerous. Think of it this way, when you're checking your retirement plan, and you see it go down, odds are you're still not micromanaging it, so you just say "ah well." Now, those who are micromanaging (stock brokers), they're most likely not going to each and every companies multiple methods of communication. Odds are, they're looking at twitter, which is why twitter has become so powerful to the point that it even controls the mainstream media (according to the New York Times employees fed up with the whole thing).
Been boycotting GOG for over a year because of inflated pricing for my country lol but I am not refusing freebies, thank you very much :) if GOG fixes prices, then I'd worry about everything else lol
Post edited January 06, 2021 by anzial
high rated
Breja: It's interesting how everyone criticising GOG gets downvoted now. The same users (and quite a few others), saying the same things before were all getting their posts high rated. So... what happened? Did so many people leave that there is there only a handful of us left and the rest are GOG fanboys blindly downvoting any critique? Is there a particularly devoted sycophant with an army of alts? Or did so many people change their mind when they saw nice discounts over christmas?

Either way, it is pretty pathetic how this forum went from at least having the balls to recognize and bluntly speak about GOG breaking their own rules, profiting off of things they used to describe as unethical, and finally supporting communits censorship, to outright attacking those who aren't ok with all that.

I guess the Blizzard strategy of just waiting the storm out and letting mindless fanboys come to your defense works for everyone.
It's the modern corporate strategy of playing playing off modern apathy... an alarming number of people eventually simply stop complaining about an issue and just accept it, at which point those who gave in start to perceive any continuing complaints as a nuisance, that because they've convinced themselves a problem is tolerable that anyone else continuing to go on about it is just beating a dead horse. Continued fighting against something becomes irritating to those who have no real convictions.

It's god damned infuriating how many times I've had people argue back at me about unsolved problems with "that's just how shit is now".

Also I would not be surprised if GOG's attracted a whole bunch of ass-kissing wumao trash accounts who are downrating people as well. And of course there are the mindless white-knights on top of that...
Post edited January 06, 2021 by ReynardFox
low rated
Breja: It's interesting how everyone criticising GOG gets downvoted now. The same users (and quite a few others), saying the same things before were all getting their posts high rated. So... what happened? Did so many people leave that there is there only a handful of us left and the rest are GOG fanboys blindly downvoting any critique? Is there a particularly devoted sycophant with an army of alts? Or did so many people change their mind when they saw nice discounts over christmas?

Either way, it is pretty pathetic how this forum went from at least having the balls to recognize and bluntly speak about GOG breaking their own rules, profiting off of things they used to describe as unethical, and finally supporting communits censorship, to outright attacking those who aren't ok with all that.

I guess the Blizzard strategy of just waiting the storm out and letting mindless fanboys come to your defense works for everyone.
ReynardFox: It's the modern corporate strategy of playing playing off modern apathy... an alarming number of people eventually simply stop complaining about an issue and just accept it, at which point those who gave in start to perceive any continuing complaints as a nuisance, that because they've convinced themselves the problem is tolerable that anyone else going on about it is just beating a dead horse.

It's god damed infuriating how many times I've had people argue back at me about unsolved problems with "that's just how shit is now".

Also I would not be surprised if GOG's attracted a whole bunch of ass-kissing wumao trash accounts who are downrating people as well. And of course there are the mindless white-knights on top of that...
We live in a society whose face is tired.

White knights of a dark cause?
high rated
amok: i think it is more that people go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it. in the end, it becomes spam
A problem doesn't stop being a problem just because people like you are sick of hearing about it.
low rated
I love GOG too much, so no.
low rated
amok: i think it is more that people go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it. in the end, it becomes spam
ReynardFox: A problem doesn't stop being a problem just because people like you are sick of hearing about it.
there is also just so many times you can hear about it before you start getting sick of it. it is not like repeating the same thing ad infinitum is suddenely going to make you "oh yaah!". I got it the first time, thank you, no need to repate it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. The only thing you achive is that you may alienate rather then convince. Nagging is possibly another good word, it just turns out annoying.

spaming has never helped a cause, the feeling it is more likely to leave in someone is "oh god, not again" rather then "i can get behind this"
Post edited January 06, 2021 by amok
mrkgnao: Thought I'd prepare a list or two, since that's what I often do.

So, reading through this thread, here are my impressions.

People who are boycotting, to whatever degree they're comfortable with (N=14):
- Time4Tea
- mrkgnao
- joppo
- kdgog
- Ancient-Red-Dragon
- ReynardFox
- Seceroth
- TencentInvestor
- pearnon
- Leevi
- gloombandit
- fronzelneekburm
- MajicMan
- Chaossaturn

People who are sympathetic to the concept (N=5):
- Breja
- TerriblePurpose
- morolf
- DukeNukemForever
- McMicroDonalds

If I have made a mistake, by commission or omission or misrepresentation, please let me know, and I will fix it forthwith.

Updated through post #108.
You forgot me on the 'boycott' list!
high rated
mrkgnao: People who are sympathetic to the concept (N=5):
For whatever's worth, you can count me here as well.

I've always said we, as consumers in a market economy, can influence things only by where/how we choose to spend our money.

Since I don't want GOG to completely die off, I will spend money here, but only on true retro DRM-free games that they bring. A good example of that is the Heretic/Hexen collection, which was a nice surprise. More of that please.

I do understand people who decide to completely cease their purchases since a lot of shady things have happened lately. Less of that please.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
high rated
Funny enough, I made a similar thread some years ago and got mostly the same arrogant answers like „You are stupid“ and „GOG doesnt care“ and „Don‘t let the door hit you“. Seems that some people are just not able to cope with criticism. Even if I think your arguments are stupid, I‘d either ignore this thread altogether or would more politely tell you that I don‘t see your point(s).

But I see your points and am boycotting them before the current „problems“ and will do so in the future.

Btw saying you should „piss off“ is one stupid thing, because if you don‘t openly say what you don‘t like, how will GOG now and how should they be able to change their beheaviour?

Anyway, I‘m with you.
I submit another point of view:

What it seems to me from the many messages I've read is that basically each of us is doing what is most convenient for himself (probably someone in GOG too I suppose), so selfish motivations, certainly not purity.

An exception is those who think for a moment about the fact that we consumers are talking about video games while for those who work for GOG it is work and daily bread and I do not think it is desirable to lose your job especially these days.

In the end, I find it worse to try to shut down a company - which I think is giving us so much anyway - than the reasons for the boycott.

I don't know if we can expect purity and holiness from others - since we can't be pure and holy either - I don't think so.

Obviously if GOG removes the possibility of DRM-free or the possibility of downloading video games, I think I will no longer buy like all those who do not like those game modes.
I think this is important GOG knows and we make it known.

I find it right to ask and point out the problems, however I do not want to lose sight of that GOG is doing a great job despite all, I would be sorry to lose the many good things and I find it quite unfair how this company is treated in this case (let's say for what I've read - I admit I haven't read the whole forum).

So I have no intention of boycotting GOG.
high rated
Skess01: In the end, I find it worse to try to shut down a company - which I think is giving us so much anyway - than the reasons for the boycott.
The point of boycotting Gog isn't to shut them down, but to get them to change course and listen to the complaints by long-term customers.
One may of course argue that it's unlikely as a tactic to work, because most customers don't care and Gog will just ignore the discontent minority. But this moralizing by you and some other users like ToxicTom "Won't you think of the children of Gog employees, do you want them to starve if Gog goes bankrupt?" is really a bit much.
low rated
morolf: ... users like ToxicTom "Won't you think of the children of Gog employees, do you want them to starve if Gog goes bankrupt?" is really a bit much.
Well thanks for putting word into my mouth I didn't say. Nice way of discussing... or not.

also it's toxicTom ;-)
high rated
toxicTom: Well thanks for putting word into my mouth I didn't say. Nice way of discussing... or not.
It's somewhat exaggerated for effect, but I don't see how it misrepresents your arguments. I mean, come on, you're even defending Gog's behaviour on Devotion as if they had literally no other choice, because otherwise their employees would suffer. That's really not far from "But think of the children!".