It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

All the more reason to support actual Linux vendors Like Zareason, ThinkPenguin and even System76.
Will going AMD get around it?
Redfern: You want to play new game? Register on Steam. No option.
Then I wont play that new game. (Another) Option.
sherringon456: Gabe newell is a hypocrite. I remember reading him saying something about windows 10 or windows 8 somewhere where he said he feared windows was becoming a closed platform and that steam OS would be 'open'. Now, an operating system, which as far as I know only lets you play steam games, now that is really open isn't it...
Source? I always thought Steam OS is just a Linux distro with Steam integrated, not that it can't run anything but Steam games. I'd like a source on this being planned, not on how it works right now - IIRC they're still in alpha.
sherringon456: Gabe newell is a hypocrite. I remember reading him saying something about windows 10 or windows 8 somewhere where he said he feared windows was becoming a closed platform and that steam OS would be 'open'. Now, an operating system, which as far as I know only lets you play steam games, now that is really open isn't it...
Fenixp: Source? I always thought Steam OS is just a Linux distro with Steam integrated, not that it can't run anything but Steam games. I'd like a source on this being planned, not on how it works right now - IIRC they're still in alpha.
It contradicts what they said before, so I doubt there is any source for it.
Johnathanamz: Windows 10 will end up being 40%+ of the PC gamer market in 2 years or 3 years
shmerl: With Windows 10 MS will shoot themselves in the foot. People won't be eager to upgrade to some new Windows which will be required for DX12. On the other hand Vulkan will work on all versions of Windows and on Linux and OS X. Which will result in DX being used less and more potential for cross platform games.
They plan to activate TCP, so that you are not able to run any unlicensed programms any more.

I think, now they are loosing it completly. I only believe 40% for Windows 10, if I see it. I think, that is the reason, they try to give us this windows for free. They try to screw us all.....
mkess: I think, that is the reason, they try to give us this windows for free. They try to screw us all.....
When didn't they try?-) I don't worry about that since I ditched Windows quite a while ago.
Redfern: Considering thing that they released Bioshock drm-free in Humble Bundle....maybe on GOG too?
I really hope to see the Bioshock series on GOG someday. It would be nice to have more Linux versions too!
Redfern: Considering thing that they released Bioshock drm-free in Humble Bundle....maybe on GOG too?
IronArcturus: I really hope to see the Bioshock series on GOG someday. It would be nice to have more Linux versions too!
Feel free to comment in that thread to show them more demand..
Niggles: Will going AMD get around it?
I don't think so. New AMD based systems with win10 preloaded will show up too. Your best bet to avoid this is to buy motherboards where these new 'enhancements' can be disabled in BIOS. Check laptops before buying, and If you accidentally do end up with a laptop with a secure boot function that cannot be disabled, get a refund asap.
Solei: I don't think so. New AMD based systems with win10 preloaded will show up too. Your best bet to avoid this is to buy motherboards where these new 'enhancements' can be disabled in BIOS. Check laptops before buying, and If you accidentally do end up with a laptop with a secure boot function that cannot be disabled, get a refund asap.
any bets when the collapse will happen if this is taken up? lol
Fenixp: Source? I always thought Steam OS is just a Linux distro with Steam integrated, not that it can't run anything but Steam games. I'd like a source on this being planned, not on how it works right now - IIRC they're still in alpha.
It should be like that - Steam integrated, but with ability to run and install "other" sowtware too. Its debian based after all. though repositories for non game software said to be pretty poor.
Solei: I don't think so. New AMD based systems with win10 preloaded will show up too. Your best bet to avoid this is to buy motherboards where these new 'enhancements' can be disabled in BIOS. Check laptops before buying, and If you accidentally do end up with a laptop with a secure boot function that cannot be disabled, get a refund asap.
First they force strange functions like Secure Boot in Not-so-simple-but-still-good UEFI...then they gradually drop mandatory option to disable Secure Boot.
I guess NEXT step will be mandatory Secure Bot always on mode with NO way to turn off. Sooo, Win Only, Windows Store as only software provider, some other crap like TPM module and we all hail to Microsoft.
Post edited March 25, 2015 by Redfern
https://suyts.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/image49.png
I assumed that was the case. It probably requires a steam account to do something on it though (Maybe even to log on like a Microsoft account.)
sherringon456: I assumed that was the case. It probably requires a steam account to do something on it though (Maybe even to log on like a Microsoft account.)
umm.... no....