It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

There are two things that matter to all of us gamers: the games we play and the friends we play them with. But as more titles come with dedicated launchers and clients, our games and gaming buddies become scattered in between them. With GOG GALAXY 2.0, you’ll be able to combine multiple libraries into one and connect with your friends across all gaming platforms!

As gamers, we need to juggle between multiple clients to access our games and see what our friends are playing,” says Piotr Karwowski, Managing Director at GOG. “We believe gamers deserve a better experience, and this became the driving force to redefine GOG GALAXY client,” Karwowski adds. “GOG GALAXY 2.0 is designed for all gamers and extends well beyond existing GOG.COM users, into both PC and console platforms.

Once you connect GOG GALAXY 2.0 with other platforms, it will import all your games into one library. You will see your friends activities and online status across connected platforms. All new library and friends features apply to your GOG.COM games and enhance your experience. And it’s designed to protect your privacy – your data belongs to you and will never be shared with third parties. We see it as an all-in-one solution for the present-day gamer.

Experience GOG GALAXY 2.0 yourself — sign up for the closed beta at www.gogalaxy.com and be among the first to get access to it!

Learn more about our vision.
Main features and what to expect once GOG GALAXY 2.0 officially launches.

Your Games.
Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection. Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.

Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned.

Customize your library by filtering, sorting, tagging, and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds or covers.

Follow upcoming releases and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.

Your Friends.
Bring together your friends from all platforms and see their online status.

No matter on which platform your friends are, you can chat with them.

See your friends’ cross-platform achievements, game time milestones and recently played games.

See who’s the master collector, completionist or spends the most time playing.

Your Privacy.
Your personal data will never be shared with third parties.

We’re not spying on data from your computer.

With a single click, you can remove imported games and friends data from our servers.

Your GOG Client.
All new library management and friends features take your experience to the next level.

The best way to run and update your GOG games.

Use features like cloud saving, in-game overlay, multiplayer & matchmaking, rollbacks and more.

The client is not required to play your DRM-free GOG games.

More
Connect more platforms and add new features with open-source integrations.

All customizations and changes to your library are saved in the cloud and synced between all your devices.

Save any view like a customized library or favorite games and friends to access them instantly.

GOG GALAXY 2.0 will be available for Windows and Mac for free.
Post edited May 24, 2019 by elcook
moobot83: and what about if i jsut wanna play games i own do i need the client for that?
If you want to play Steam / EA games (with DRM) then you basically need the Steam, Origin, etc, client installed. What Galaxy 2.0 does sounds like it simply allows you to add games to the "library" inside Galaxy so that all games appear "all in one place", then it will then launch the Steam / Origin Client which in turn will launch the game. I don't think what you're asking GOG to do (launch games directly in place of Steam / Origin clients) is even legal as it would basically involve reverse engineering Valve & EA's DRM and use "unauthorized" software to contact their authentication servers...

So for games on other platforms, really it's a "meta-client" that launches other you-still-need-them-installed clients, a bit like Playnite.
Post edited June 03, 2019 by AB2012
dadahl: Yes, and I want GOG to succeed which is why I am trying to point out when I think they are making a mistake.
============================================
Sorry, I fear that may not have made myself clear.
I do not want companies basing decisions on high, inaccurate numbers. That would be a disaster for Linux. Sales expectations would not be met, and the company would simply wash their hands of Linux Something that other games companies would see and consider should they think about Linux.
I do not want them using low, inaccurate numbers. That would lead to them mistakenly ignoring or misevaluating profit opportunities because they have the wrong numbers.
I want companies using accurate numbers.
There are going to be cases where it does not make sense for a company to release a game for Linux, for a store to ignore me as a customer, and as much as that saddens me should they have offered something I would have been interested in, business is business.
==============================================

Surveys, statistics have the problem that they can be prone to methodology errors, systemic biases, etc.
A telephone survey of phone ownership would be close to 100%, no matter the actual number, because it contains a systemic error that only people with phones would receive and answer the survey. (Well there would be the few anomalies like guests, burglars, etc, which is why I said close to 100%.)
The same survey at a country club would likely yield a higher number that did not represent the average, a homeless shelter a lower one, based on not being truly representative of the general population.
A survey extrapolating the world's population by using the number of (living) people in an cemetery at nighttime, would likely result in a number that was far too low. (Assuming of course there was no night guard. That would likely skew things as well. If it happened to be 1 guard for 0.02 square kilometers, it would actually work out.)
Getting things right can be problematic, and that doesn't even enter into when someone is deliberately trying to skew the results, which I have seen more than a few examples of.
======================================
I've seen so many different numbers for Linux marketshare, when I see one as low as 1%, my first thought is to look for the errors. The ways that it is wrong. (Though there can be some cases. Since the Epic Game Store currently lacks an official Linux client, I would suspect that they likely have a number below 1%. And no doubt other examples.)
For Steam's survey, in my previous post, I tried to point out how they do not have an incentive to correct any Linux numbers that are too low.
Having Epic ignore Linux sales is good for them. Having GOG put off providing needed infrastructure, that would encourage Linux sales, because they mistakenly believe that they are beating Steam, is good for Steam.
========================================
GameRager: I might've not grasped it fully, I admit, as my knowledge isn;t all encompassing/full on certain topics.

I do know/point out, however, that some games do have SP linux installers...not all, but some, so at least GOG threw linux users some sort of bone(although yes they could do more to be fair).
dadahl: Actually I'm interested in hearing about some of those games.
==========================================
I don't think you quite understand. Imagine that GOG had made a promise to you as a Windows user, then failed to act on it. For years. Games for Windows were increasingly not available on GOG, because GOG had simply chosen not to provide infrastructure for Windows that was available on Mac and Linux. Or for other reasons. Forum posts along the order of
"Windows fans: Stop puffing out your penguin popping chest fluff all over everything. Why is it so hard to keep Linux games on Linux? F... Off!" with the first sentence altered into something appropriately disparaging to Windows users.
And another store offered a game that you wanted. On Windows. Not available on GOG in any way or form for Windows, but only on Linux or Mac. That other store was not only selling lots of Windows games, it was also doing things to help you out with playing Windows games, while GOG was doing nothing more than only selling games for Windows. A number decidedly smaller than the ones on the other store, even though in more than a few cases the missing games were available for Linux and Mac on GOG.
How. Much. Loyalty. Would. You. Have. To. GOG?
If you broke down and bought that game elsewhere, and then saw another Windows game, would your first thought be to see if it happened to one of the steadily decreasing number that were available on GOG for Windows? Or would you simply buy it?
And I tend to think price would be rather low in terms of consideration.
=================================================
GameRager: If you find more stuff to discuss feel free to reply and tell me about it as I'd love to hear more about it and carry on the discussion.
dadahl: Actually I have found our discussion interesting.
And this is admirable/good, but sadly most times companies listen little to us 'smaller voices'. :\
True, larger inaccurate numbers may lead to lower sales numbers coming about and it biting them(the corp and the userbase affected) in the end, but a lot of companies use inflated numbers for good reasons, and if it works/does some good for some then imo it's better/more preferrable to lower than accurate numbers being used.

Also KUDOS to you for being understanding/saying business is business.....some seem to think that businesses should be expected to sell to every niche imaginable irregardless of whether or not it's good business sense/due to anecdotal evidence and skewed statistics.
These are good reasons/examples of skewed statistics(as I just mentioned) and a good reason why when others(even some linux users ITT) mention some other store did higher linux sales or use anecdotes to support GOG doing such I tend to not take that as seriously as better statistics and more solid evidence/arguments.

(This bit is to all reading)It's not to say I think anyone should be left out of something(including linux gamers), just that I tend to think more logically than emotionally when making up my mind on some things.
Even if the numbers were 20 times better it would sadly still be a minority(though a much more lucrative target for businesses). I agree on he rest, btw.
From me or from GOG? I could probably pull up some examples given a bit of time/work.
=========================================
To be fair(and not to sound mean/callous): I consider price a major deciding factor(and there are likely many like me if discounted sales numbers vs. normal price sales is any indicator), and if one store offers me a better price I will often get it(there are exceptions like if the game is too DRM-riddled and I cannot crack it out if I had to).

So say steam offered a windows version of a game/at a cheaper price/etc than GOG. I might get it, but I wouldn't say F*** GOG and never buy games from them again.

Also boycotts/etc are good and I support those who stand by their morals/guns by doing such, but numbers show they aren't the majority(usually) of customers. Heck, Chick-Fil-A and Nike had boycotts and the numbers of people who actually boycotted(and stuck to it over time) is much lower than those who kept buying their products.
Thank you and I also have found this to be constructive/interesting as well.

moobot83: big question do i need steam,epic,origin etc INSTALLED on my pc to access the games on Galaxy 2.0 or do i just need an account, if i just need an account that would be great cos i could just buy games from steam and not have there lame client installed, but iff i have to have other launchers installed this isnt great
Since the games launcher Galaxy 2 just runs that client for you....sadly you'd need to buy their games on their site/client and have the client installed to play that store's games(well unless you made them truly free by some shady method).
Post edited June 03, 2019 by GameRager
Nice to see gog improving galaxy, let's be honest, it was really bad.
I'm interested to see what it will end up being, but the only thing that i really need is the ability to add some tags, create categories (and also easily create backup installer for gog games) .... otherwise i will still have to use playnite/launchbox.

Importing games from other launcher is still pretty cool though.
Dear GOG friends,

With Galaxy 2.0 the achievement hunters will have any news? Any points system, level, etc?

A big hug from Brazil and thank you for being such a friendly and charming platform.
Post edited June 03, 2019 by Patias
Here you can see Triumph Studios showing their ignorance about the license terms of the Steam Runtime: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/age_of_wonders_iii_mac_and_linux_users_read/post48

I wish Linux versions weren't held back from GOG for such silly reasons. Maybe they could create some kind of informational materials or something for developers/publishers?

I am afraid that Triumph are not the only ones with such misunderstandings.
will there be a way to launch and manage games without an account or internet? ive been looking for an alternative to launchbox because im not a fan of the UI, but this looks much better
Mapleclaw: will there be a way to launch and manage games without an account or internet? ive been looking for an alternative to launchbox because im not a fan of the UI, but this looks much better
For games tied to other stores/clients you need to be online to use those games(steam/etc)....the games you add manually(if via phsycial media/etc) and GOG games should be playable once installed offline.
Mapleclaw: will there be a way to launch and manage games without an account or internet? ive been looking for an alternative to launchbox because im not a fan of the UI, but this looks much better
GameRager: For games tied to other stores/clients you need to be online to use those games(steam/etc)....the games you add manually(if via phsycial media/etc) and GOG games should be playable once installed offline.
Yeah, im just wondering if the new client will actually require an account to use, cuz im considering switching this to my main client and i dont want any form of drm in the launcher
GameRager: For games tied to other stores/clients you need to be online to use those games(steam/etc)....the games you add manually(if via phsycial media/etc) and GOG games should be playable once installed offline.
Mapleclaw: Yeah, im just wondering if the new client will actually require an account to use, cuz im considering switching this to my main client and i dont want any form of drm in the launcher
If you buy games from steam/etc you'd need a steam account/epic account/etc to buy/run said games, and their clients installed. I am pretty sure, though I could be wrong, that you will need a GOG login(which you have) to use the client itself.
Post edited June 04, 2019 by GameRager
Playnite is a decent alternative to Launchbox. I use both for different reasons. Lunchbox supports multiple discs on a single PSX/PS2 game whereas Playnite doesn't yet.
Really looking forward to Galaxy 2.0! I'm currently a Launchbox user for my overall library, but would love to have everything in one place here on GOG's platform. Hope there are some tag/overlay features to visually track completed games etc. Can't wait to try the beta!
GameRager: ....
Even if the numbers were 20 times better it would sadly still be a minority(though a much more lucrative target for businesses). I agree on he rest, btw.
And yet the Mac version of Galaxy has been out for about 4 years now, despite Macs also being a minority.
I would estimate that Macs are roughly 1.5 to 2 times Linux marketshare. So did the line of profitable/unprofitable just happen to be right in that divide? Especially when even small players like itch.io can come out with a Linux client.

Saying we're not current working on it, but eventually we plan to, if continued long enough can come off as, "We're not interested in you, and were simply lying to you. Boy, what a bunch of suckers you were." Either finish the job or admit that they aren't interested in keeping their Linux customers and get it over with.
Worse if done wrong, the Linux Galaxy client will come out after Linux gamers have moved elsewhere. And have no intention of moving back.

GameRager: ==========================================
From me or from GOG? I could probably pull up some examples given a bit of time/work.
Eh, if you don't know it off hand, probably not worth the bother.

GameRager: =========================================
To be fair(and not to sound mean/callous): I consider price a major deciding factor(and there are likely many like me if discounted sales numbers vs. normal price sales is any indicator), and if one store offers me a better price I will often get it(there are exceptions like if the game is too DRM-riddled and I cannot crack it out if I had to).
I find being able to play a game to be among my major deciding factors, but maybe that's just me.
So how many games have you bought because they were cheap that you are unable to play?

And strangely I find myself feeling loyalty to companies that want to sell me things, and a sense of disconnection from companies that have decided they don't want to sell me things, but again maybe that's just me.

GameRager: Also boycotts/etc are good and I support those who stand by their morals/guns by doing such, but numbers show they aren't the majority(usually) of customers. Heck, Chick-Fil-A and Nike had boycotts and the numbers of people who actually boycotted(and stuck to it over time) is much lower than those who kept buying their products.
Thank you and I also have found this to be constructive/interesting as well.
Yes I do find that some boycotts tend to be less effective. Though a lost sale is a lost sale, even if the majority didn't participate. I tend to suspect that a company that had sales drop by 49% would not exactly be comforted by, "Well at least the majority didn't participate."
And for a company with slim margins, losing even a small minority of customers can be devastating.
And when a company is essentially cutting back on the infrastructure needed for selling products to certain markets, that will start cutting into sales. With the customers being forced into cutting sales rather than choosing to And should the cost of maintaining those sales be less than the lost sales, I suspect that the shareholders would not be pleased.
Years later when that market grows, and suddenly the company decides that they want to re-enter the market, they are going to find that the people in that market will remember how they were treated and make sure to spread the word. That competitors have already gotten their hooks in, and the company will find that re-establishing themselves will be difficult.
In some cases it can be better to serve a market with a bit less profit in order to keep your toe in the market, than abandon it and discover that abandonment is a little more permanent than they would have liked.
dadahl: And yet the Mac version of Galaxy has been out for about 4 years now, despite Macs also being a minority.
I would estimate that Macs are roughly 1.5 to 2 times Linux marketshare. So did the line of profitable/unprofitable just happen to be right in that divide? Especially when even small players like itch.io can come out with a Linux client.
===================================
Saying we're not current working on it, but eventually we plan to, if continued long enough can come off as, "We're not interested in you, and were simply lying to you. Boy, what a bunch of suckers you were." Either finish the job or admit that they aren't interested in keeping their Linux customers and get it over with.
Worse if done wrong, the Linux Galaxy client will come out after Linux gamers have moved elsewhere. And have no intention of moving back.
=======================================
Eh, if you don't know it off hand, probably not worth the bother.
=======================================
I find being able to play a game to be among my major deciding factors, but maybe that's just me.
So how many games have you bought because they were cheap that you are unable to play?

And strangely I find myself feeling loyalty to companies that want to sell me things, and a sense of disconnection from companies that have decided they don't want to sell me things, but again maybe that's just me.
Yes I do find that some boycotts tend to be less effective. Though a lost sale is a lost sale, even if the majority didn't participate. I tend to suspect that a company that had sales drop by 49% would not exactly be comforted by, "Well at least the majority didn't participate."
And for a company with slim margins, losing even a small minority of customers can be devastating.
And when a company is essentially cutting back on the infrastructure needed for selling products to certain markets, that will start cutting into sales. With the customers being forced into cutting sales rather than choosing to And should the cost of maintaining those sales be less than the lost sales, I suspect that the shareholders would not be pleased.
Years later when that market grows, and suddenly the company decides that they want to re-enter the market, they are going to find that the people in that market will remember how they were treated and make sure to spread the word. That competitors have already gotten their hooks in, and the company will find that re-establishing themselves will be difficult.

In some cases it can be better to serve a market with a bit less profit in order to keep your toe in the market, than abandon it and discover that abandonment is a little more permanent than they would have liked.
Maybe there were other factors that led to the decision? Or maybe it did hit that divide and Mac made the cut while linux did not....who knows? :\

As for other stores: Some of them might have(I am not 100% on this) done it to attract the untapped linux market as not many others were/are doing so, or did it to draw said users from the few other stores that cater to them?
===============================
If they admitted any lack of interest in linux users(if it exists) beyond the profits gained they;d likely get all sorts of bad PR, so they'd likely avoid stating such.

Also(again) you seem to be thinking(by what you said) that all linux users will leave, when that might not be fully the case....we don't know what every single one will do, as we don;t know what every windows user will do when faced with various things in the market.
One could easily(afaik) just sort the catalog by linux as OS and get a list if one wanted.
You seem to have mistaken me here: I didn't mean that people would buy games they couldn't play, but that if a company didn't offer every single game for their OS that they wouldn't all necessarily leave. Also some linux users might be just fine with windows versions(via some app to run them in linux or running it in a dual boot environment).
================================
If a company lost that big a percentage of customers then you'd be correct and such would be effective, but usual boycott numbers are far less impressive....sadly many just don't care or don't feel motivated enough to care for a long enough time to really hurt the bottom line of those they dislike/have issues with.

Basically in most boycotts the massive amount of remaining customers often overwhelmingly drowns out the small percentages of those who continue to boycott some things.
The shareholders are usually/mostly pleased as long as a company makes them money/pays them dividends/etc and their shares increase in value.

Most stockholders usually go into the stock market to make money on massive scales, not to promote the common welfare and look out for the little guys/gals like us.
Or they could find another market to sell to and make even more/the same amount of money as before.

In the end I agree they should treat everyone fairly & I think linux users should get the same respect from corps as others, but I also realize that often businesses aren't always run to be fair & people often get the sh*t end of the stick....both on purpose and accidentally as part of them doing business.
GameRager: I am pretty sure, though I could be wrong, that you will need a GOG login(which you have) to use the client itself.
2.0 may change things, but I have been able to install the client offline, launch it offline, import GOG games to it offline and launch the imported games offline.
GameRager: I am pretty sure, though I could be wrong, that you will need a GOG login(which you have) to use the client itself.
JAAHAS: 2.0 may change things, but I have been able to install the client offline, launch it offline, import GOG games to it offline and launch the imported games offline.
This may be true, but do you still need to enter gog login info to use the client(even in offline mode)?