It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/85411/battlefield-3-vs-call-of-duty-marketing-war-to-cost-200-million/

Who needs to spend money making great games? we should focus all of our money on marketing instead

I mean, Homefront was incredibly boring and shitty but it doesnt matter, we splashed out cash on marketing and those morons bought it. Halo 3? Who cares that it's marketing budget was bigger than the game development budget (it sucked anyway so not like that matters) - We made it Flashy, we made it shiny we told them what they should buy and those suckers fell for it

welcome to the modern-day gaming industry you minions, we will tell you what's good and what it's and you better damn like it, you will buy the same games over and over because we are Big publishers - We are in control and you are nothing more than a worthless consumer who gives us money when we tell you to
Post edited April 07, 2011 by Roman5
Minecraft with zero marketing made 33 million and is still in beta.

It's pretty sad when marketing budgets are higher than development budgets. We've had many stories about that exact thing over the last couple years. Gaming is mainstream entertainment now though, and this is what mainstream blockbusters need to do to gain the masses' attention.

Remember when we were all gaming in the early 90's and it was a niche hobby and we wished for greater acceptance? Yeah, that was dumb.
StingingVelvet: Minecraft with zero marketing made 33 million and is still in beta.

It's pretty sad when marketing budgets are higher than development budgets. We've had many stories about that exact thing over the last couple years. Gaming is mainstream entertainment now though, and this is what mainstream blockbusters need to do to gain the masses' attention.

Remember when we were all gaming in the early 90's and it was a niche hobby and we wished for greater acceptance? Yeah, that was dumb.
Oh man, this game is so cool

Just think about what fantastic games we will have 10-15 years from now, imagine how the improved technology will allow studios to create Great worlds, Deep gameplay, Superb Dialogue, Fantastic interaction and Worlds with astounding depth and complexity.
Attachments:
What is tragic about the wasted money on marketing as Battlefield and CoD battles it out, is that most fans of that genre are pretty likely to have bought both games anyway.
HoneyBakedHam: What is tragic about the wasted money on marketing as Battlefield and CoD battles it out, is that most fans of that genre are pretty likely to have bought both games anyway.
With these publishers it's never enough for them

Call of Duty 4 sold 89 million? no that is not enough we need 90 million

Bigger marketing budgets, shorter games, extreme focus on online - it never stops

Another perfect example is Capcom, Devil May Cry 4 sold 3 million copies but apparently that is not enough, oh no, they want "God of War" sales, so they "Rebirth" the franchise in an attempt to "Reach a wider audience"

God I'm so angry right now, I think I need a drink....
Post edited April 07, 2011 by Roman5
I like Bioware thinking they can sell a part-based fantasy RPG to 10 million people. No matter how much they dumb that shit down it's never going to happen, Oblivion didn't even sell that much.
http://www.destructoid.com/ea-battlefield-3-designed-to-take-down-call-of-duty-198317.phtml

And so, it continues....
I miss when gaming was not as huge as it is today.
HoneyBakedHam: What is tragic about the wasted money on marketing as Battlefield and CoD battles it out, is that most fans of that genre are pretty likely to have bought both games anyway.
Roman5: With these publishers it's never enough for them

Bigger marketing budgets, shorter games, extreme focus on online - it never stops

Another perfect example is Capcom, Devil May Cry 4 sold 3 million copies but apparently that is not enough, oh no, they want "God of War" sales, so they "Rebirth" the franchise in an attempt to "Reach a wider audience"

DICE isn't very good at making single player anyway, and Battlefield 1942 ( DICE's first game, I think) was pretty much a multiplayer game anyway.
I have always respected how DICE handled multiplayer and tried new things ( For example the Frostbite engine in the Bad Company games) but then again they could be "streamlining" the series like what happened to DA2.
I am going to wait on this one to see what people say about the game first before buying it.
Post edited April 08, 2011 by Razzoul
I called Battlefield 3 for what it was back when there was only a few seconds of actual gameplay footage available. Sometimes it's amazing how accurate first impressions can be.

Let's hope someone else gets to put the engine to better use.
They already spend a ton on making the games. They spend money on marketing the game so people will actually buy them. Yes, Minecraft sold a lot without advertising, but that's the exception, not the rule. Without marketing, games, like any other form of media, don't sell. To get upset over marketing is idiotic.
People aren't upset because of the marketing, people are upset because it appears that money spent on marketing would be better spent making a game that doesn't suck.
Roman5: With these publishers it's never enough for them

If you are referring to the God of War 1 and 2 remakes for PS3, I thought it was a genius move. It updated the graphics and added HD support, and made both available for only $30. I had never played them before and I was hooked on them afterwards. It also brought a high demand amongst fans for HD re-releases of other games, which is leading to the Splinter Cell HD Trilogy release. People still want HD Metal Gear Trilogy, Fatal Frame, and others, so I fail to see how thats a bad move when the fans demand it, and little marketing has gone into it.
It flabbergasts me that big companies don't always grasp basic concepts of competition. You don't waste your energy going head to head with a product that has a massive lead in the market place. You will most likely lose. Pick a different niche, or offer something different, change the terms of the competition.

Constantly copying your competitors means you will lose in the long-run because you aren't offering anything worthwhile since the guy who did it first probably does it better anyway.
bevinator: People aren't upset because of the marketing, people are upset because it appears that money spent on marketing would be better spent making a game that doesn't suck.
Game quality is subjective, not objective, and there's no reason that pouring more money into game development would necessarily make better games. You may think that Call of Duty sucks, but it's currently the most popular game franchise. Does that mean it's good? Not for everyone, but it's a quality game for a whole lot of people.

You don't want the games to be "better", you want them to cater to your tastes more, which is a completely different issue.

Once again, if they spent all the money on development (which would be a ridiculous sum and probably guarantee a game with little focus), it would not sell much due to the simple fact that no one would know about it.