It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ShadowOwl: Since GOG Downloader links seem to be pretty much gone with the new Account page it would be great to have Barefoot Essentials to give us an option to add Downloader links again.
vulchor: This is what I came here to ask about. The new accounts interface is driving me nuts. I tested Galaxy, but I hate the way it downloads stuff, since I already have a rather large archive of GOG games built by the downloader. Why GOG didn't make Galaxy just download the install files I'll never know, but it sucks for me, maybe some like it.

Anyway, yeah, would love to be able to just click on the stuff I want to download and have the GOG downloader launch and grab what I picked like the 'old' days.
It took me a few days of reading posts to realise:

a/ You can download installers through Galaxy by selecting "back up" or something like that (I don't use Galaxy after installing it once, not liking it and then reading about constant issues with it)

b/ The GOG Downloader links are easy to find! Just follow these simple steps (for every darn game!) - 1. Click game in library. 2. Click "More" 3. Click "GOG Downloader links" 4. Click each downloader link 5. Repeat
Post edited May 21, 2015 by Tarnicus
vulchor: This is what I came here to ask about. The new accounts interface is driving me nuts. I tested Galaxy, but I hate the way it downloads stuff, since I already have a rather large archive of GOG games built by the downloader. Why GOG didn't make Galaxy just download the install files I'll never know, but it sucks for me, maybe some like it.

Anyway, yeah, would love to be able to just click on the stuff I want to download and have the GOG downloader launch and grab what I picked like the 'old' days.
Tarnicus: It took me a few days of reading posts to realise:

a/ You can download installers through Galaxy by selecting "back up" or something like that (I don't use Galaxy after installing it once, not liking it and then reading about constant issues with it)

b/ The GOG Downloader links are easy to find! Just follow these simple steps (for every darn game!) - 1. Click game in library. 2. Click "More" 3. Click "GOG Downloader links" 4. Click each downloader link 5. Repeat
"A" was news to me, but again I don't want to use Galaxy at the moment. Maybe once it gets out of beta, but I don't know that I'd ever want one. I mod games so I don't like auto-updates.

"B" I was aware of but was thinking that Barefoot Essentials could eliminate those 5 extra steps, lol. Plus, you only get the option to download all the goodies, you can't pick and choose, which means I have to get both FLAC and MP3 soundtracks when offered, and goodies for languages that I'm not smart enough to know.
vulchor: "B" I was aware of but was thinking that Barefoot Essentials could eliminate those 5 extra steps, lol. Plus, you only get the option to download all the goodies, you can't pick and choose, which means I have to get both FLAC and MP3 soundtracks when offered, and goodies for languages that I'm not smart enough to know.
I have not used the new Downloader links but, before the library disfigurement, I followed the next steps because I found them easier:

1. I clicked the option to download all bonus
2. Several entries were added to the the GOG Downloader queue (one for each bonus)
3. I paused the Downloader
4. I manually removed the entries that were not important to me
5. Clicked Resume and let the Downloader do its job

Is it not possible to do that anymore?
I do not use the Downloader nor do I use Galaxy.

At the moment I use the 'DownThemAll!' browser extension.

1. Click game in library.
2. Right-click, choose 'DownThemAll!...'
3. In 'Fast Filtering' , type first three (or more) characters of gamename.
'downlink/gamename' - game installers
'downlink/file/gamename' - bonuses

What appears in DownThemAll! is based on what OS and Lang. that is selected.
Downloading executables for other languages and OSes requires changing those selections before right-clicking and choosing 'DownThemAll!'
Post edited May 23, 2015 by solar_dome
solar_dome: I do not use the Downloader nor do I use Galaxy.

At the moment I use the 'DownThemAll!' browser extension.
I have DownThemAll and I've used it to download the comic bundles from HB but I never used it for GOG.

Have you tested if, when using it on GOG, you can resume interrupted downloads?
Resuming downloads appears to function as expected.
I imagine there is a timeout limit on resuming downloads. Not sure what that could be though.
madth3: I have DownThemAll and I've used it to download the comic bundles from HB but I never used it for GOG.
Have you tested if, when using it on GOG, you can resume interrupted downloads?
Works without a problem. Use it regularly (via MaGog's links).
mrkgnao: Works without a problem. Use it regularly (via MaGog's links).
Thanks to both of you.

I haven't need to download annything since the "improvements" in the library. I'll guess I'll start using that.
madth3: I have not used the new Downloader links but, before the library disfigurement, I followed the next steps because I found them easier:

1. I clicked the option to download all bonus
2. Several entries were added to the the GOG Downloader queue (one for each bonus)
3. I paused the Downloader
4. I manually removed the entries that were not important to me
5. Clicked Resume and let the Downloader do its job

Is it not possible to do that anymore?
It is, but it's not practical, a number of games have a ton of extras, and having to:

1. right-click on the first of the ones you don't want to download;
2. choose "remove from list";
3. confirm your choice in the pop-up window;
4. repeat 1-3 for each one, until only the ones you want are left

before doing the actual download, can prove pretty time consuming and irritating. Not to mention, that this method is quite prone to making a mistake, i.e. accidentally delete one you wanted to download, and then you have to go back to the game details page and download it via your browser.

It just goes to show that we're strongly discouraged to keep using the GOG Downloader and prompted to switch to the Galaxy client, even if it's not quite ready to handle downloads the way the GOG Downloader does.
HypersomniacLive: It is, but it's not practical, a number of games have a ton of extras, and having to:
Unless I'm reading this wrong, you don't like GOG downloader because it does not allow you to download Extras Individually? Is that true?

Galaxy does allow extras to be downloaded individually.
1: find game on library
2: pick "Download extras" from the games Dropdown menu
3: chose whatever you want to download.

What I am not sure it does, is internet magic, and compares what you already have, to what you chose to download. GOG Downloader could do this, and it usually only took a few seconds. This was the main reason I used GOG downloader. I loved that function.

I have tried this a few times on Galaxy. Download a soundtrack. Wait for download to finish. Straight away, download Soundtrack again. It.. seems to actually download it again, but when it is finished there is still only one copy on the Hard Drive. I'm.. not sure how to better test this.
HypersomniacLive: It is, but it's not practical, a number of games have a ton of extras, and having to:
HeDanny: Unless I'm reading this wrong, you don't like GOG downloader because it does not allow you to download Extras Individually? Is that true?

Galaxy does allow extras to be downloaded individually.
1: find game on library
2: pick "Download extras" from the games Dropdown menu
3: chose whatever you want to download.

What I am not sure it does, is internet magic, and compares what you already have, to what you chose to download. GOG Downloader could do this, and it usually only took a few seconds. This was the main reason I used GOG downloader. I loved that function.

I have tried this a few times on Galaxy. Download a soundtrack. Wait for download to finish. Straight away, download Soundtrack again. It.. seems to actually download it again, but when it is finished there is still only one copy on the Hard Drive. I'm.. not sure how to better test this.
The download functionality offered by galaxy (at the moment) is no different that any basic browser. All it does is download a file you click on, no more no less. Indeed, if you click again after downloading a file it downloads it again (not even bothering to warn you that you are overwriting a file on your hard disk, let alone inform you that it is all in vain for you already have the up-to-date file).

It is no substitute for the GOG downloader, and it is a very poor substitute for a browser as (a) at least for me it is significantly slower, (b) it does not offer any of the add-ons available in modern browsers, and (c) it does not allow you to conveniently choose where to download files on a per file basis.

The only reason that I can see to currently use the download feature of galaxy, is if you have sworn never again to open a browser.
mrkgnao: It is no substitute for the GOG downloader, and it is a very poor substitute for a browser as (a) at least for me it is significantly slower, (b) it does not offer any of the add-ons available in modern browsers, and (c) it does not allow you to conveniently choose where to download files on a per file basis.
To be fair, GOG downloader had none of that either. The only thing it had was the comparison thingy, which was, to me, invaluable. It made putting up with all the other flaws (most of which you just mentioned) worth it.

Does Galaxy even have an update notification at this stage? In my account online via chrome I see 18 games that have been updated, and I can determine which those games are within the list in my library by the (rather too subtle) blue dot.

Despite this, Galaxy shows nothing. Yes there is a way to filter for games updated, but that is hardly a notification. GOG Downloader had notification the same as the website, but was.. basically useless for anything else, apart from the check, which I miss soo bad. SO BAD.

mrkgnao: The only reason that I can see to currently use the download feature of galaxy, is if you have sworn never again to open a browser.
The fact we don't have to use the browser is a huge bonus, and possibly a major incentive for most people to use Galaxy. Just.. not in its current beta state. Which is kinda terrible. Those Darksiders games are still in my trolley in galaxy! I can't get them to go away! Mocking me, like that damn telltale heart. Or possibly the Raven.
Post edited May 24, 2015 by HeDanny
HeDanny: Does Galaxy even have an update notification at this stage?
No, and I don't expect it to have them, as its selling point is auto-update, which means that galaxy updates your installed games by itself, hence no need to alert you via a flag.
Makes sense. And is a pity :(
HeDanny: Unless I'm reading this wrong, you don't like GOG downloader because it does not allow you to download Extras Individually? Is that true?

[...]
I'm afraid you did read that wrong. I'm not expressing any like or dislike for the GOG Downloader itself, I answered [url=httpS://www.gog.com/forum/general/barefoot_essentials_2_gogcom_enhancement/post648]madth3's question[/url] and said why I think that GOG made downloading individual extras with the GOG Downloader such a PITA.

The GOG Downloader has some limitations, but also a couple of things going for it. GOG said that its functionality would be integrated in the Galaxy client, after people repeatedly asking about it; it remains to be seen if that's the case when it comes out of beta, but I won't be surprised if it's not - as mrkgnao said, it's selling point is auto-update installed games, and downloading installers and extras seems to be offered just so that its users don't have to use their browser, and not as an adequate substitute for the GOG Downloader.