It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Will be there an update for the "Hide my owned games" feature in the shop?
high rated
Hi. I've been rather scarce on GOG for the last couple of months; sorry about that, sometimes other aspects of life demand one's attention. I have been planning do do a major overhaul of Barefoot Essentials and bump it to version 3. In that regard, GOG's timing has been excellent, as they made big changes to the site just as I was starting, Hopefully after a couple of weeks I'll have a nice shiny new version to show you that works with the all new design changes that GOG released for their 10th anniversary. I also want to finally get everything done from my list of feature-suggestions-people-have-given-me-but-I-haven't-implemented-yet, get to the bottom of those compatibility problems some of you have been reporting lately and have one new feature that I've been wanting to add for years - custom forum themes :)
I'm new the the whole userscript & barefoot essential's scene, and only got started today. (Firefox, Greasemonkey extension etc)
One thing I've noticed with the forum, under extremely slow internet connection speed, that one thing that makes navigating the forum slower than it could be is the nasty habit that on loading each page, gog insists on DLing a new copy of the fonts.

Is there a script available that DLs a static version of the font to use on the forums that doesn't "expire"? This minute change could squeeze a little faster performance out of forum navigation.

EDIT: Scrub that, it might be a loading timeout causing the problem. Sometimes the dev tools console doesn't report partial content properly.
Post edited October 08, 2018 by Braggadar
Barefoot_Monkey: Hi. I've been rather scarce on GOG for the last couple of months; sorry about that, sometimes other aspects of life demand one's attention. I have been planning do do a major overhaul of Barefoot Essentials and bump it to version 3. In that regard, GOG's timing has been excellent, as they made big changes to the site just as I was starting, Hopefully after a couple of weeks I'll have a nice shiny new version to show you that works with the all new design changes that GOG released for their 10th anniversary. I also want to finally get everything done from my list of feature-suggestions-people-have-given-me-but-I-haven't-implemented-yet, get to the bottom of those compatibility problems some of you have been reporting lately and have one new feature that I've been wanting to add for years - custom forum themes :)
Great .
high rated
Barefoot_Monkey: Hi. I've been rather scarce on GOG for the last couple of months; sorry about that, sometimes other aspects of life demand one's attention. I have been planning do do a major overhaul of Barefoot Essentials and bump it to version 3. In that regard, GOG's timing has been excellent, as they made big changes to the site just as I was starting, Hopefully after a couple of weeks I'll have a nice shiny new version to show you that works with the all new design changes that GOG released for their 10th anniversary. I also want to finally get everything done from my list of feature-suggestions-people-have-given-me-but-I-haven't-implemented-yet, get to the bottom of those compatibility problems some of you have been reporting lately and have one new feature that I've been wanting to add for years - custom forum themes :)
No need to apologise, it goes without saying that life in the physical world always comes first.

I've got a couple of big favours to ask, if it's possible of course, which I hope make it into BE v.3.0. Please, please, with cherry on top, give us an option to:

1. make whatever auto-moves (zooming animations)/auto-plays on hover over to be static;
2. browse the game catalogue in List View;
3. move the reviews above the "You may like these products" section on game pages.

I don't know if GOG intends to do anything about these, but past experience says you'll get it done long before they do.

Additionally, a couple of gentle reminders:

a. Notifications for forum replies showing in the bell; adaliabooks has already taken care of the core functionality of this, but it'd be nice if we could have it restored all the way to how it worked before GOG did away with it.
b. This issue still persists.
c. The request I made here.

Other than these, looking forward to the new BE version, hope you'll restore everything we had functionality and features wise before GOG's latest revamp.

Cheers for all your efforts that make visiting the GOG site and forum actually user friendly.

EDIT: added some clarification
Post edited October 10, 2018 by HypersomniacLive
If I may make a couple of suggestions in addition to those mentioned by HypersomniacLive.
1. Move the news section closer to the top of the front page. Right above "Now on sale " would be fine by me. Anywhere but at the very bottom of a tall page would be a better spot for news items. Now having the huge Thronebreaker image above the huge carousel now means I see nothing but those two areas without scrolling.
2. The ability to mark games as "Not Interested". I know this request is quite a lot more work, so I understand if it doesn't get considered.

Thanks again, Barefoot_Monkey, for your wonderful add-on!
adambiser: -----8<-----8<-----
1. Move the news section closer to the top of the front page. Right above "Now on sale " would be fine by me. Anywhere but at the very bottom of a tall page would be a better spot for news items. Now having the huge Thronebreaker image above the huge carousel now means I see nothing but those two areas without scrolling.
-----8<-----8<-----
I think it's great to have the news section at the very bottom. It is very convenient for me to just use the End key to get to the news instantly. I even try typing it before the page finishes loading.

Though, for me it's actually Fn-RightArrow on my notebook computer. Home, End, Page up, or Page down are done by holding the Fn key and then typing one of the arrow keys: left, right, up, or down.

(Or I also use Command-up for Home and Command-down for End, and only the spacebar for page down and Shift-spacebar for page up.)
thomq:
I imagine it would have been an optional setting as everything about Barefoot_Monkey's script is.

I found it more convenient to see things like weekend sale announcements mentioned near the top visible as soon as the page loaded without pressing any keys than to have to press the End key and look for the announcement tucked away in the bottom right corner at the very end of the page.
thomq:
adambiser: I imagine it would have been an optional setting as everything about Barefoot_Monkey's script is.

I found it more convenient to see things like weekend sale announcements mentioned near the top visible as soon as the page loaded without pressing any keys than to have to press the End key and look for the announcement tucked away in the bottom right corner at the very end of the page.
For me it's just the news and the footer, nothing to look for. However, showing all the news items all at once without having to click a button for the next four would be very nice. It's the very bottom of the page, so there's no need for the news item to be hidden the way they are now, because there's nothing else after it.

Of course, then I would have to gradually page up after using End... But they're in reverse chronological order anyway, so that would be perfect.
Post edited October 19, 2018 by thomq
thomq:
It's a matter of reading a page from top to bottom vs reading from bottom to top. I prefer the former.

Making the news readily apparent and visible at page load seems to be in GOG's interest, but hey, if they like it like that, whatever.
Post edited October 19, 2018 by adambiser
thomq:
adambiser: It's a matter of reading a page from top to bottom vs reading from bottom to top. I prefer the former.

Making the news readily apparent and visible at page load seems to be in GOG's interest, but hey, if they like it like that, whatever.
Me, too, left to right then top to bottom, though I favor a bit more reading chronologically forward rather than backward. If GOG had new news more often, then I'd favor it being at the top, too. However, I'm fine with the same news three days ago stepping aside.
thomq: If GOG had new news more often, then I'd favor it being at the top, too
How much new news is enough new news? There were three posts today and seven yesterday.

I don't think the "Curated collections" area has changed at all since the redesign, and "Discover games" hasn't changed very much since then. I really think the news is what changes the most on the front page. We used to have daily deals, but I haven't seen them since the site redesign.

I really don't see any sort of order to the news, vaguely reverse chronological. What I see right now:
Project Warlock - yesterday
Army Men: World War - 4 days ago (though the forum post says two hours ago...)
Warhammer 4K - Gladius DLC - 6 hours ago
[scroll]
Weekend Sale - 5 hours ago
Railway Empire DLC - 7 hours ago
Kindom Rush Origins - yesterday
Obra Dinn - yesterday
[scroll]
BATTLETECH Season pass - yesterday
Thronebreaker trailer - yesterday
Reigns: Game of Thrones - yesterday
Battlestar Galactica DLC - yesterday

However, this was just a suggestion and that's all it is. I had assumed that if it were added, it would be an optional setting because I realize that some people probably prefer how it looks now. I prefer not having to hit the End key / scroll / look for the news. The whole reason Barefoot_Monkey made this is that they (and others) prefer some things a different way.
Post edited October 19, 2018 by adambiser
thomq: If GOG had new news more often, then I'd favor it being at the top, too
adambiser: How much new news is enough new news? There were three posts today and seven yesterday.
I've always wondered why they don't have a separate page for news. I mean, keep the recent news on the main page, too, but also a page dedicated to all the news. Then we could skip the main page if desired.

How about a "News" button at the top of the main page to make the news float above everything else without rearranging or displacing anything else on the page. And no need to scroll to get to it, just press the button to show the news instantly.

Though, you mentioned how you didn't care much for the other sections. So maybe just a general set of checkboxes in preferences for hiding showing sections, and their preferred order, so the main page is organized as desired.
I'm incredibly happy to hear that there will be an update. Barefoot Essentials indeed is essential to my GOG experience. Without it browsing the store feels extremly cumbersome to me.

For everyone in desperate need of a better visual distinction for owned games, add the following lines of code to the end of the Barefoot Essentials script:

$(window).on('DOMSubtreeModified', function() {
$(".product-tile:has(.product-tile__labels--in-library)").css("opacity", "0.25")
});

Be aware. This is a very dirty fix. It will change the opacity of all owned games anywhere in the store but does not take settings made in Barefoot Essentials into account. It's probably not performant at all and functionality was only tested on Firefox 63.0.1 using Violentmonkey 2.9.9.
Post edited November 04, 2018 by DaveBentfield
DaveBentfield: For everyone in desperate need of a better visual distinction for owned games, add the following lines of code to the end of the Barefoot Essentials script:
Could you please explain a bit what you mean by "to the end?". I tried this and my firefox (though it's an old firefox) crashed - but maybe I just did it wrong?
Post edited November 04, 2018 by MarkoH01