It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

eiii: As HypersomniacLive and I are the only ones so far which are interested in disabling these title changes, I don't want to cause to much work on it. A code snippet which I could put into a Greasemonley script, which permanently would clear GOG's notifications automatically, would be good enough for me. I even could disable that script temporarily when I would like to have the notifications back.
I suppose the easiest thing to do might be to modify the service Gog uses to manage the notifications so that the blinking never happens (rather than trying to counter it when it does)..
I'll figure something out.
eiii: As HypersomniacLive and I are the only ones so far which are interested in disabling these title changes, I don't want to cause to much work on it. A code snippet which I could put into a Greasemonley script, which permanently would clear GOG's notifications automatically, would be good enough for me. I even could disable that script temporarily when I would like to have the notifications back.
Automatically clearing notifications (or, better yet, marking them as "looked at" without actually removing them) is something I believe I can do, but it will have to wait until the weekend.
adaliabooks: I suppose the easiest thing to do might be to modify the service Gog uses to manage the notifications so that the blinking never happens (rather than trying to counter it when it does)..
Of course it would be. :) But that sounds like it would require access to the server side code. And I already had a lenghty PM discussion with Johny without success. :(

I've just asked him, as a kind of compromise, to add an option to automatically stop the title changes after a few minutes. So at least the disk stress would be limited.
adaliabooks: I suppose the easiest thing to do might be to modify the service Gog uses to manage the notifications so that the blinking never happens (rather than trying to counter it when it does)..
eiii: Of course it would be. :) But that sounds like it would require access to the server side code. And I already had a lenghty PM discussion with Johny without success. :(

I've just asked him, as a kind of compromise, to add an option to automatically stop the title changes after a few minutes. So at least the disk stress would be limited.
Maybe not... I'd have to have another poke around. I found quite a lot of the functions involved in making the system work... If I just replace them with my own functions I might be able to make it less annoying.
It's a bit hackier than I like to do, but I've done it quite a bit with the library stuff to make the multi page, manual sort and legacy art stuff work.

My original thought was to find a way to use GOGs functions to turn them off and that was unsuccessful, but this way might work...
In the meantime Barefoot sounds like he can sort the marking all notifications as read stuff.
Barefoot_Monkey: Automatically clearing notifications (or, better yet, marking them as "looked at" without actually removing them) is something I believe I can do, but it will have to wait until the weekend.
Marking them as "looked at" without actually removing them sounds perfect. :) But no hurry, I don't care about a few days or even weeks. I just would like to have that problem solved eventually. Sad enough that it always requires a community solution to mitigate at least the most annoying problems on GOG.

adaliabooks: Maybe not... I'd have to have another poke around.
PS: And I did not want to initiate a "race" between both of you. Take your time, this is not a priority. :)
Post edited September 21, 2017 by eiii
Barefoot_Monkey: Automatically clearing notifications (or, better yet, marking them as "looked at" without actually removing them) is something I believe I can do, but it will have to wait until the weekend.
Having an option to stop this meaningless flashing, without the need to watch one's browser like a hawk to click on the bell a.s.a.p., sounds more than perfect.

And as I've said already, no pressure; you'll be giving us the option long before GOG does, whenever you roll out the feature.
Barefoot_Monkey:
adaliabooks:
I just got an answer from Johny with a workaround:

Object.defineProperty(window.document, 'title', {
set: Function.prototype
});
It does not help me much, but it may help you more knowledgeable people.
Post edited September 21, 2017 by eiii
eiii: I just got an answer from Johny with a workaround: It does not help me much, but it may help you more knowledgeable people.
Hey, that's the perfect idea. Thanks (and thanks to Johnny.)
eiii: I just got an answer from Johny with a workaround: It does not help me much, but it may help you more knowledgeable people.
Barefoot_Monkey: Hey, that's the perfect idea. Thanks (and thanks to Johnny.)
Just for my understanding, does this code overwrite the function, which updates the page title, with a dummy? Or what does it do?
eiii: Just for my understanding, does this code overwrite the function, which updates the page title, with a dummy? Or what does it do?
One of the ways to change the page title is by assigning a new value to document.title, which is what the website was using to make the "[1]" in front of the title appear and disappear (if you have 1 notification of course, otherwise it's another number). Although that may not be necessary - the GOG web devs have been fine-tuning the notifications since they added them and at some point recently I noticed that they aren't flashing the number on and off at intervals anymore, so maybe there's no more need to try to block that.
Barefoot_Monkey: One of the ways to change the page title is by assigning a new value to document.title, which is what the website was using to make the "[1]" in front of the title appear and disappear (if you have 1 notification of course, otherwise it's another number). Although that may not be necessary - the GOG web devs have been fine-tuning the notifications since they added them and at some point recently I noticed that they aren't flashing the number on and off at intervals anymore, so maybe there's no more need to try to block that.
I'm not sure, but I think the title still was changing. Maybe a bit slower than before, not anymore changing every second, more matching the 7 / 2 seconds pattern Johny mentioned. I will have to verify it with my next notification.
eiii: I'm not sure, but I think the title still was changing. Maybe a bit slower than before, not anymore changing every second, more matching the 7 / 2 seconds pattern Johny mentioned. I will have to verify it with my next notification.
Ah yes, there it goes cycling again. But only in one of my tabs. I wonder why it's sometimes static for me and sometimes not. Oh well, the document.title setter trick works a charm so we'll be able to disable it in BE soon.
Barefoot_Monkey: Ah yes, there it goes cycling again. But only in one of my tabs. I wonder why it's sometimes static for me and sometimes not.
For me the title does not cycle in the active tab and in tabs you have activated after the notification has arrived. But it still cycles in all other tabs until I clear the notification.

Barefoot_Monkey: Oh well, the document.title setter trick works a charm so we'll be able to disable it in BE soon.
Good. :)

When you disable the cycling will the title be the original page title or will it have the number of notifications in front of it? For me the number in front of the title only wastes space which makes it harder to identify the tabs. But I don't know what other people prefer.
Post edited September 22, 2017 by eiii
Hello.
During sales it is common to load up on game codes to share with friends, trade or give away. Only I can't keep track of what games do I have already as game codes — I have to keep consulting the "orders" section of the GOG Account.

As Barefoot Essentials already points out the games I own, and I know that the data from the "orders" section is available as json, would it be possible for it to signal the games that one has as unredeemed GOG codes?
Gede: Hello.
During sales it is common to load up on game codes to share with friends, trade or give away. Only I can't keep track of what games do I have already as game codes — I have to keep consulting the "orders" section of the GOG Account.

As Barefoot Essentials already points out the games I own, and I know that the data from the "orders" section is available as json, would it be possible for it to signal the games that one has as unredeemed GOG codes?
+1 if it is not too much work.