It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MarkoH01: Thanks fo the heads up. I guess then I will simply stop updates to "solve" the problem for me.
skeletonbow: It's safer to install Firefox ESR as it gets all of the security updates and addons will still work.
Until 2018 it will. I don't care that much about "safety". I don't have serious data on my PC worth hacking it since I always knew that going online is never a safe thing. I'll see maybe I'll switch to ESR version until 2018 and THEN stop updates.
I think Mozilla would be wise to declare 56 an off-schedule ESR or postpone the webextensionpocalypse until immediately after the next ESR. I like the idea of WebExtensions but they won't have anywhere near enough API support by 57 to avoid very painful teething problems.

Fortunately 52 is the latest version to introduce features I consider must-haves, so I could survive going back to 52 ESR, and the nice thing about ESRs is that after a year of security updates and minimal room for regressions it's not a terrible thing if you disable updates entirely.
It’s an unusual privilege to read quality articles these days.
Your article has the qualities of great professionally written content that’s unique, original and interesting.
Barefoot_Monkey: I think Mozilla would be wise to declare 56 an off-schedule ESR or postpone the webextensionpocalypse until immediately after the next ESR. I like the idea of WebExtensions but they won't have anywhere near enough API support by 57 to avoid very painful teething problems.

Fortunately 52 is the latest version to introduce features I consider must-haves, so I could survive going back to 52 ESR, and the nice thing about ESRs is that after a year of security updates and minimal room for regressions it's not a terrible thing if you disable updates entirely.
They wont rock the boat on the ESR releases or they wouldn't be ESR, but what they could and probably should do is despite their dug in position on the issue, to move the changes off until Firefox 60 instead. I suggest this release specifically because ESR releases come out every 7 releases and the current one is 52, so the next ESR will be 59. Waiting until after 59 would allow the new ESR to come out with existing support and have a full ESR cycle which is approximately 12 months of more support, then 60 would come out to the mainstream and 59 would continue on supported until 67 came out some time later (with 66 being the next ESR).

If my math is right, this would buy an additional 4.5 months after their current planned D-day in November for the mainstream browser to remain compatible which would allow quite a lot more addons to move over, plus would allow them to get a lot more functionality integrated that is missing making it easier for even more addons to get ported in that time frame as well. Then Firefox 60 would come out, which would be roughly Mar/Apr 2018. A month and a half before that roughly in Feb 2018 Firefox 59ESR would release with a 12 month support cycle, bringing addon support there until March 2019 or so. So we would end up going from "everything breaks in Nov 2017" to "everything gets an extra 3-14 months more time to port over to the new interface smoothly and it will be much easier for it to actually happen as well.

There's another thing I don't think they're factoring in, is that if they go and break all kinds of important addons, there are tonnes of people who currently hold Mozilla in high esteem who are going to be RIGHT PISSED, some of whom will abandon it permanently for Chrome, Opera, Safari, or whatever else toots their horn. They will lose a lot of community good will that they have gotten all along from many just by being overly aggressive without much concern for an important part of their userbase that made them as popular as they have been this long.

At this point I think the only thing that can make a difference is a good old fashioned digital lynch mob letting them know how they feel so they can re-evaluate their IMHO overly-aggressive decision.

An exaggerated comparison would be the telephone networks deciding they're going to build a new highly secure telephone network (yeah right as if they have the know how to remotely do that, but bear with me...), but it will require replacing all existing telephones and telecommunications hardware completely without backward compatibility, then putting a notice out to the world that everyone has to replace all existing telephones, answering machines, caller ID units, and any other electronic devices that currently connect to the phone network with a completely new piece of hardware that isn't even finished being designed let alone built, and you have 6 months to do it or you wont be able to make calls anymore. Not a 1:1 comparison, but purposefully exaggerated to make the point.

Look at how our TV signal has evolved over time. It took 20 years roughly from the original design bids for HDTV until it was standardized, and a schedule for rolling it out in televisions and other equipment, and turning the broadcast signal on for N years, then turning the old NTSC signal off. It phased in rather slowly and was a fairly smooth transition. No witches were burned.

Do that same thing in 3 months however and the torches come out. :)
skeletonbow: The simple short term solution is for people to switch from the mainstream Firefox release to the Firefox 52.x ESR release (Extended Support Release) which is made for enterprises and commonly ships on many Linux distributions by default. That will buy Firefox users relying on addons that would otherwise cease to work in November with FIrefox 57 some breathing room up until June 26, 2018 to continue having functional addons such as Greasemonkey and scripts like Barefoot/Adalia.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/
Thanks for sharing! Is this version different from the regular end user version of Firefox?
skeletonbow: The simple short term solution is for people to switch from the mainstream Firefox release to the Firefox 52.x ESR release (Extended Support Release) which is made for enterprises and commonly ships on many Linux distributions by default. That will buy Firefox users relying on addons that would otherwise cease to work in November with FIrefox 57 some breathing room up until June 26, 2018 to continue having functional addons such as Greasemonkey and scripts like Barefoot/Adalia.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/
CharlesGrey: Thanks for sharing! Is this version different from the regular end user version of Firefox?
I tried it once because I did not know what ESR meant and afair I did not notice a difference. Also you are able to install multiple instances of FF at the same time just to test the browser before deciding.
Barefoot_Monkey: Version 2.23.1 is up for both Chrome and Greasemonkey. The "click to play video" widget is now much smaller and tidier than it was previously.
Just updated, loving the adjustments to the video integration. Thanks again!
CharlesGrey: Thanks for sharing! Is this version different from the regular end user version of Firefox?
There is no difference between Firefox ESR and Firefox of the same version. They just take Firefox 52, rename it Firefox 52 ESR and support it for a year, backporting only the security fixes from the mainstream release to keep it secure.
skeletonbow: There is no difference between Firefox ESR and Firefox of the same version. They just take Firefox 52, rename it Firefox 52 ESR and support it for a year, backporting only the security fixes from the mainstream release to keep it secure.
Sorry for OT but can you tell me how to deactivate hardware acceleration in the newest firefox version? The checkbox responsible for this isn't there anymore and I get screen tearing on youtube. Thank you.
skeletonbow: There is no difference between Firefox ESR and Firefox of the same version. They just take Firefox 52, rename it Firefox 52 ESR and support it for a year, backporting only the security fixes from the mainstream release to keep it secure.
MarkoH01: Sorry for OT but can you tell me how to deactivate hardware acceleration in the newest firefox version? The checkbox responsible for this isn't there anymore and I get screen tearing on youtube. Thank you.
Sure, go to:

Tools->Options->General->Performance

See attachment
Attachments:
MarkoH01: Sorry for OT but can you tell me how to deactivate hardware acceleration in the newest firefox version? The checkbox responsible for this isn't there anymore and I get screen tearing on youtube. Thank you.
skeletonbow: Sure, go to:

Tools->Options->General->Performance

See attachment
Wow they hid that pretty well. Thanks a lot :)
MarkoH01: Wow they hid that pretty well. Thanks a lot :)
No prob. :) Yeah, things are moving around. A *lot* more is changing in FF57 also. Allegedly the user interface will be revamped and addons such as Classic Theme Restorer that let you undo Firefox official changes to stick with the UI and features etc. one is familiar with and wants to retain - will no longer work either. Another reason for those who are affected to switch to FF ESR before hand. Hopefully that too will have other options available before FF ESR 52 hits end of life. :)
Can I just install this over my version of 55.0.3 or do I need to install it as a parallel install? I've checked out the FAQ and unless I've missed the relevant bit I can find no info. Thanks.
Post edited September 02, 2017 by Pajama
Pajama: Can I just install this over my version of 55.0.3 or do I need to install it as a parallel install? I've checked out the FAQ and unless I've missed the relevant bit I can find no info. Thanks.
It should upgrade over the existing install. Generally only the beta/alpha/nightly and developer releases can be installed in parallel by default.
Pajama: Can I just install this over my version of 55.0.3 or do I need to install it as a parallel install? I've checked out the FAQ and unless I've missed the relevant bit I can find no info. Thanks.
skeletonbow: It should upgrade over the existing install. Generally only the beta/alpha/nightly and developer releases can be installed in parallel by default.
Thanks, I'll give it go then. Fingers crossed :)