It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Linko90: New Rule update:
One problem: This new rule isn't exactly visible. It's not in the first post of a sticky topic, and it is not in any sort of announcement post, therefore people are going to miss the new rule, and some will therefore likely be punished for a rule they didn't know existed.

(Note that, while this post I am replying to is on the last page of the topic, it won't always be there, as the topic accumulates new posts.)

(Also, note that this criticism is not about the content of the new rule, but more the visibility of the announcement.)

Edit: Actually, with this post the new rule is no longer on the last page for me (default 20 posts per page)
Post edited September 03, 2018 by dtgreene
low rated
initialpresence: And just look at the comment that got the thread linked below locked. If you want to know who your oppressor is just find out who you can't critisize. Enough said.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/general_politcal_stuff_thread/post102
Linko90: The fact you completely ignored the reason why the thread was locked speaks volumes.

New rule, the thread was locked due to it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Ah yes, "the reason".

How incredibly convenient and arbitrary. And shamelessly dictatorial. And ironic, because your conduct is thoroughly political.

Well, thank you for sharing the nature of your politics with us, Linko, because it explains perfectly well why you detest political discussion.
tinyE: It's pretty obvious the OP of that thread only made it to promote his own bigoted ideology and had no intention of tolerating anyone either disagreeing with him, or changing the specific political argument. He tore into anyone who tried to do either.

In that respect I suppose the option would be to allow all political threads and rather just boot the people who "abuse" them.

Ultimately I don't know. I'm not a mod, I'm not a Blue, and I DON'T WANT TO BE ONE!!! :P
initialpresence: Sorry, but that is a complete lie and an obvious provocation. I was extremely civil throughout that thread. I would encourage anyone to go and read what I wrote. Also there is nothing bigotted about it. In fact I was defending the rights of all people includng immigrants. At this point I'm quite willing to let the whole thing be, if you will. But please don't lie because you can't win a civil debate.
You were perfectly civil, so incivility is clearly not the issue here.
low rated
Linko90: The fact you completely ignored the reason why the thread was locked speaks volumes.

richlind33: Ah yes, "the reason".

How incredibly convenient and arbitrary. And shamelessly dictatorial. And ironic, because your conduct is thoroughly political.

Well, thank you for sharing the nature of your politics with us, Linko, because it explains perfectly well why you detest political discussion.
You literally have no idea who I am, where I come from or what I believe in. My role here is to moderator the forums. The topic of politics was repeatedly going toxic and creating a wider negative impact. I see a problem I can fix, I carry out the required moves to fix it. Hence the new rule change.

I would remind you that your constant talking down to me resulted in you having some cool off time. It was not a one time offer.

Linko90: You literally have no idea who I am, where I come from or what I believe in. My role here is to moderator the forums. The topic of politics was repeatedly going toxic and creating a wider negative impact. I see a problem I can fix, I carry out the required moves to fix it. Hence the new rule change.

I would remind you that your constant talking down to me resulted in you having some cool off time. It was not a one time offer.
I see you perfectly well, Linko. You like "order" and "control".

As for your threat, it is a confirmation of my observation of your conduct.
'Meh. Just start all the political topics with "You know, I recently played a Civilization game/mod where..." and you should be fine. :-D
low rated
initialpresence: And just look at the comment that got the thread linked below locked. If you want to know who your oppressor is just find out who you can't critisize. Enough said.

lol, you really think that "the Jews" are behind this (that's what you're getting at, aren't you)? Why are you American white nationalists always such obsessive fanatics?
I'd say it's much more likely that GOG just doesn't want to deal with the hassle political discussions bring and therefore takes the easy way out. Personally I find this heavy-handed moderation and thread-locking at the slightest sign of controversy rather lame and disappointing, apparently Gog only does extremes. But then this place has always sucked as a community anyway. Best to regard it just as a store.
Post edited September 03, 2018 by morolf
low rated
deleted
Fairfox: sexist misogynistic
Buzzwords that - under the new no-politics rule - should warrant an instaban.
low rated
deleted
low rated

Liberalism/progressivism is a cult. No discussion. Just doctrine and no platform for "heretics".

morolf: lol, you really think that "the Jews" are behind this (that's what you're getting at, aren't you)? Why are you American white nationalists always such obsessive fanatics?
I'd say it's much more likely that GOG just doesn't want to deal with the hassle political discussions bring and therefore takes the easy way out. Personally I find this heavy-handed moderation and thread-locking at the slightest sign of controversy rather lame and disappointing, apparently Gog only does extremes. But then this place has always sucked as a community anyway. Best to regard it just as a store.
No. Not literally. But look where the conversation was stopped. Happens all the time everywhere.
Post edited September 03, 2018 by initialpresence
low rated
Case in point that initialpresence is wrong:

If I made this much of a stink about a forum rule change I'd be PMing Linko right now begging him to lift my ban.
Linko90: New Rule update:
dtgreene: One problem: This new rule isn't exactly visible. It's not in the first post of a sticky topic, and it is not in any sort of announcement post, therefore people are going to miss the new rule, and some will therefore likely be punished for a rule they didn't know existed.
Indeed, it ought to be in GOG's interest to make all the forum rules easily known and shared.
dtgreene: One problem: This new rule isn't exactly visible. It's not in the first post of a sticky topic, and it is not in any sort of announcement post, therefore people are going to miss the new rule, and some will therefore likely be punished for a rule they didn't know existed.
Lemon_Curry: Indeed, it ought to be in GOG's interest to make all the forum rules easily known and shared.
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001814049-Forum-Code-of-Conduct
high rated
Political discussions going down in flames has been a problem on these forums for a while now. And people have different opinions about that. I find it annoying that the threads get so heated. Some people find it annoying that the threads get closed. It has driven some people away from the forum, but it is hard to demonstrate how bad it has been for forum participation.

However, if initialpresence and others are allowed to make GOG's forums a place where white nationalists are allowed to hang out and freely proselytize and argue and propound their views and bring in their links and sources... Then, it will be just a matter of time before that fact gets noticed and passed around the internet like wildfire. And then GOG will have a PR problem that they cannot handle. The forums will get shut down entirely. GOG's reputation will suffer immensely. And their sales will suffer, too.

Even if you believe that even white nationalists deserve a spot on the internet where they are free to publish, this cannot be that place. They will bring GOG down with them.