It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
IAmSinistar: Perhaps I was just reading between the lines too much, but wasn't there also the indication that support would be slowly tapered off here as well, with fewer patches on GOG since this is no longer the "real" (i.e., money-making) version?
Yes and no. If I remember correctly, patches for Armello were always very slow to arrive on GOG, which was corrected when the Demoted Edition hit. We can assume that LoG now quickly aims at a steady-state, patched, inalterable release for GOG. Meanwhile, with DLC and microtransactions comes an added risk of further bugs so that Steam, PS4, Xbox, iOS and Android may get a lot of patches that the GOG version will never need.

Glass half full, eh? :) :)
Post edited September 26, 2016 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen: Glass half full, eh? :) :)
Aye, not bad if it works out that way. Though I am sceptical of self-avowed small dev teams, they usually find a way to plead hardship and eventually drop support for all but their preferred version of their product. But the smiting hand of judgement rests in abeyance for now. ;)
Vainamoinen: Backers were promised those additional characters and backers were promised a DRM free version. But, as it turns out, not both at the same time. Which is bullshit, and that should rather remain the focus of attention.
completely agreed, for what it's worth.
lostwolfe: completely agreed, for what it's worth.
Oh, it's worth something all right. We don't really disagree on that many things. "What's the next step" is usually the one question that has a myriad of entirely unsatisfactory answers and sees plenty of disagreement. How to judge the plain facts of the matter however, that rather sees a log..., errm, lot of agreement.

I mean, there hasn't been a single person in this entire 26 page thread who thought that it would be particularly difficult for LoG to put their DLC on GOG. :)
Post edited September 27, 2016 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen: I mean, there hasn't been a single person in this entire 26 page thread who thought that it would be particularly difficult for LoG to put their DLC on GOG. :)
Difficult, probably not. At least for the purely offline "new characters" stuff. But the "port" and the patching will require some work anyway. Armello is not really at the top of the bestselling list here, and the fact that some content probably won't be implemented anyway (the microtransaction stuff) and the multiplayer is not compatible with Steams won't help, either. Would the potential sales cover the cost of this additional work? On a platform that is usually pretty hostile to their new business model? That we don't know.

It's likely one of the goals of the character DLC is to draw attention to the game and encourage people to play again and be exposed to the microtransaction stuff.
Kardwill: It's likely one of the goals of the character DLC is to draw attention to the game and encourage people to play again and be exposed to the microtransaction stuff.
That is definitely true in any case.

Log has expressed surprise that Armello is still "going", is still relevant. The DLC is the attempt to keep it that way on the one hand, and an expression of trust in the game's continued success on the other.

Armello is a Unity game; that means ports are comparatively easy to achieve. Which is the main reason why LoG chose to launch and maintain no less than six different builds in the first place (Steam, GOG, PS4, Xbox0, iOS, Android). To my knowledge, they intend to further support five out of those six builds.

So I definitely understand the customer dissatisfaction when they declare to cease support for just one of those versions, particularly when the reason they've given sounds so darn hollow. :|
I bought the indiebox version of the game So I'd have a copy of the game that will hoepfully outlive Steam once it goes down, and also have a Steam key so I can play with other people given the (unfortunate) circumstances a week ago. I don't intend to participate in the nickel and diming the dice skins have created, and I actually intend to keep every skin I get from opening the cases myself.

They're currently having trouble getting the PS4 and iPad versions up to date now as well, although they've just started offering those versions.
Greenlynx: I bought the indiebox version of the game So I'd have a copy of the game that will hoepfully outlive Steam once it goes down, and also have a Steam key so I can play with other people given the (unfortunate) circumstances a week ago.
What unfortunate circumstance a week ago?
Greenlynx: I bought the indiebox version of the game So I'd have a copy of the game that will hoepfully outlive Steam once it goes down, and also have a Steam key so I can play with other people given the (unfortunate) circumstances a week ago.
Wishbone: What unfortunate circumstance a week ago?
My post could have been clearer, I bought it a week ago despite all that's been going on. Will just not be participating in micro transactions. The devolopers have totally moved on from the DRM free edition 100% now though and are now focusing on PS4, i Pad and Android.
Wishbone: What unfortunate circumstance a week ago?
Greenlynx: My post could have been clearer, I bought it a week ago despite all that's been going on. Will just not be participating in micro transactions. The devolopers have totally moved on from the DRM free edition 100% now though and are now focusing on PS4, i Pad and Android.
Ah, so the GOG version is more or less "officially" abandoned? Nice. Great developer. Cares a lot for their customers, obviously.
Honestly this game is doing more damage to gog than not being here
high rated
Wishbone: Ah, so the GOG version is more or less "officially" abandoned? Nice. Great developer. Cares a lot for their customers, obviously.
To no-one's surprise, I hope; the signs were all over the wall from the moment this DRM-free insult was announced.
liquidsnakehpks: Honestly this game is doing more damage to gog than not being here
Abandoned games are (sadly) nothing new here, but calling it the "DRM-Free Edition" was a terrible idea. It immediately equates "DRM-Free" to "inferior", which is not the kind of message GOG should be sending to potential customers. I don't personally want Armello to be removed, but I wish they would change the name back instead of letting it become an insult to DRM-free games.
liquidsnakehpks: Honestly this game is doing more damage to gog than not being here
Marioface5: Abandoned games are (sadly) nothing new here, but calling it the "DRM-Free Edition" was a terrible idea. It immediately equates "DRM-Free" to "inferior", which is not the kind of message GOG should be sending to potential customers. I don't personally want Armello to be removed, but I wish they would change the name back instead of letting it become an insult to DRM-free games.
I posted on League of Geek's forums asking for them to make the DRM free patches available to the people who purchased it through Indiebox a couple days back; it came with a steam key in box yes, but the USB disk has 1.0 on it and it would be nice to have the updates for posterity.
Marioface5: Abandoned games are (sadly) nothing new here, but calling it the "DRM-Free Edition" was a terrible idea. It immediately equates "DRM-Free" to "inferior", which is not the kind of message GOG should be sending to potential customers. I don't personally want Armello to be removed, but I wish they would change the name back instead of letting it become an insult to DRM-free games.
Greenlynx: I posted on League of Geek's forums asking for them to make the DRM free patches available to the people who purchased it through Indiebox a couple days back; it came with a steam key in box yes, but the USB disk has 1.0 on it and it would be nice to have the updates for posterity.
Please let us know if you get an official reply. I got the Indiebox edition when it was first released in that format, and I emailed LoG soon after asking for a GOG key since I don't use Steam. They said no. Then I asked for just the patch to bring it up to 1.1. They said no. I regularly ask Indiebox devs for GOG keys since there isn't a non-Steam way to patch it otherwise. LoG is the only dev who has ever said no.