It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
EuroMIX: I hate how many features denied to non-Steam users because developers choose to lock themselves into whatever Steam provides.
Vainamoinen: If it was JUST Steam, I would have a tiny spark of understanding for League of Geeks.

But they sell that DLC for PS4 ...
... and they sell that DLC for Xbox One ...
... and you can bet your sweet asses off they'll also sell it for iOS and Android.

Evidently they're flying to the moon on a daily basis.

The ironic thing is, now that I'm reading so much about the game, I'm actually quite certain I would have liked it.
All platforms that enforce drm.

I was wondering. Did the kickstarter also provided GOG redeemable key? If that's the case how will those users get refund?

Also, how many backers supported the campaign for the drm.free version? If the recent event was known before, how many would have backed? Would have the goal been reached anyway?
Post edited September 08, 2016 by MIK0
MIK0: Also, how many backers supported the campaign for the drm.free version? If the recent event was known before, how many would have backed? Would have the goal been reached anyway?
Yes, they would have. Because the sad truth is, Kickstarter backers don't care that much about DRM. Major game Kickstarters that postpone, ignore or brush off the DRM free question frequently become sensational successes, from Project Phoenix to ShenMue 3.

Renegotiating the DRM status after the DRM free promise has also occurred quite a bit, and in my opinion, Harebrained Schemes hasn't even remotely gotten enough shit when they told their backers that the DRM free version of Shadowrun Returns would be backers only and wouldn't receive DLC because that surprisingly was Microsoft's decision to make, not theirs.

Harebrained Schemes renegotiated with Microsoft eventually and set it right though.
JudasIscariot: Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that we will have an update for you regarding the situation with Armello. Please stay tuned tomorrow :)
Where is the update?
JudasIscariot: Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know that we will have an update for you regarding the situation with Armello. Please stay tuned tomorrow :)
Hierosclito: Where is the update?
See Cypiss' post. I was expecting his post a bit later, sorry for the confusion :)
deleted
Post edited September 08, 2016 by Fairfox
Cypisss: Hey everyone, a short announcement:

Due to changes to the GOG.com version of Armello and the fact that some online functionalities and future content for the game will not be available on GOG.com, we want to make sure all prior owners have a choice. If you feel that the current version of Armello is not something you wished for back when you bought the game - please contact our support team for a refund.
Glad to hear this. I'll probably share this on r/games.
Hierosclito: Where is the update?
JudasIscariot: See Cypiss' post.I was expecting his post a bit later, sorry for the confusion :)
Ah, ok.
Don´t worry.
high rated
Glad GOG did the right thing about this issue, LoG on the other hand will never see a cent from me after this stunt.

Thank you GOG for your effort.
high rated
Ganni1987: Glad GOG did the right thing about this issue, LoG on the other hand will never see a cent from me after this stunt.

Thank you GOG for your effort.
Someone linked the dev's response on steam via reddit. After reading it, I think I'll add LoG to the blacklist and never buy anything from them full stop.
MIK0: Also, how many backers supported the campaign for the drm.free version? If the recent event was known before, how many would have backed? Would have the goal been reached anyway?
Vainamoinen: Yes, they would have. Because the sad truth is, Kickstarter backers don't care that much about DRM. Major game Kickstarters that postpone, ignore or brush off the DRM free question frequently become sensational successes, from Project Phoenix to ShenMue 3.

Renegotiating the DRM status after the DRM free promise has also occurred quite a bit, and in my opinion, Harebrained Schemes hasn't even remotely gotten enough shit when they told their backers that the DRM free version of Shadowrun Returns would be backers only and wouldn't receive DLC because that surprisingly was Microsoft's decision to make, not theirs.

Harebrained Schemes renegotiated with Microsoft eventually and set it right though.
I disagree. Lack of a drm-free version is always a concern on kickstarter. Backers always ask for it and authors try to publicize it when present. Then we have the common issue of authors taking back their word, a thing that unfortunately often happens on kickstarter projects. I wouldn't say that drm-free is not relevant.

About Projet Phoenix, I believe it's almost forgotten.
ShenMue is a really big IP and long waited sequel, the numbers are high anyway.
Harebrained Schemes had to negotiate with Microsoft but stil provided both drm-free and steam copy. Also the issue was not their decision in the first place, I believe it's not the case with Armello.
MIK0: About Project Phoenix, I believe it's almost forgotten.
Project what-now? To the internet!

It looks interesting enough. I'm surprised I've never even heard of it.
high rated
JudasIscariot: See Cypiss' post.I was expecting his post a bit later, sorry for the confusion :)
Hierosclito: Ah, ok.
Don´t worry.
Damn... and here I thought they were about to rename it Armello - DLC-Free Edition.
MIK0: I disagree. Lack of a drm-free version is always a concern on kickstarter.
It thankfully is, mostly, but unfortunately this concern can easily be ignored. To me it feels like no one should ever back a game project that doesn't provide DRM free installers both to their backers and regular customers, but my feelings are pretty damn irrelevant.

Developers and publishers try to weasel out of the promise all of the time. Backers reliably raise the question in the comments, yes, but they are often ignored. And when they're ignored, it's not as if those backers leap off the project.

Then there's the question of defining DRM, with developers releasing a Steam exclusive "DRM free" version, or – like Application Systems has recently done with Nelly Cootalot 2 – redefining clear cut wikipedia approved cases of DRM as "we don't think it's DRM".

As much as it hurts me to say, Armello isn't a particularly special case. Armello has been available for quite some time, keeping the DRM free promise in principle. But where was the outrage when e.g. Koch Media pressed Steam on the backer and consumer versions of Broken Sword 5? Well, there was enough to make Cecil hand out alternative discs, to those who explicitly asked of course.

Kickstarter and generally crowd funding still is, in my opinion, a great venue to ensure that games come out DRM free. But the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
high rated
Hierosclito: Ah, ok.
Don´t worry.
Lemon_Curry: Damn... and here I thought they were about to rename it Armello - DLC-Free Edition.
Not the Armello - F U Edition ?
Lemon_Curry: Damn... and here I thought they were about to rename it Armello - DLC-Free Edition.
rtcvb32: Not the Armello - F U Edition ?
I regret that I have but one +1 to give!