It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
murcielago: A transcription of one of the "fantastic meetings" LOG said they had with GOG:

LOG developer 1: Hi pal, I have bad news for you
LOG developer 2: Yes, bad news
GOG staff: eh?
LOG developer 1: Yes, as you know, we are good and experienced developers...
LOG developer 2: Yes, experienced developers...
[...]
LOG developer 1: Well, nice doing business with you, bye bye
LOG developer 2: Yes, business...
GOG staff: Err...
Oh man, my sides. This is comedy gold. Thanks for typing this up. :D
Post edited September 06, 2016 by Dogepower
murcielago: A transcription of one of the "fantastic meetings" LOG said they had with GOG
Hahhahaha xDDDD
karnak1: Yep. You can include the "in development" section as well.
Lots of people saying that GOG was turning into Steam and that they'd abandon GOG if it kept selling "early access" games, then.
Yeah, I'd say most of the gripes people have about things like that I agree with to a point as well. I'm overall not a fan of DLC however I mentally distinguish DLC from "expansion pack" even though they're all called DLC nowadays in name. I am a fan of genuine expansion packs such as the 2 for Witcher 3 for example, but that nickel and diming DLC stuff I'm not really fond of. To date I have never bought any nickel and dime DLC, and the only DLC I own of that nature was repackaged in all-inclusive editions of various games. Where I differ from some folk on these issues though is that while I agree with the shitty side of some of these things, I don't usually have a hardline polarized all or nothing view on it with regard to my future purchasing habits. That is to say that if something shows up in the store that I do not care for, such as early-access (call it anything else and it's still the same thing to me) I'm not going to stop shopping here, but I'm not going to buy the stuff I don't like to see here either. So while some folks will opt out of shopping here again and metaphorically want to set GOG on fire, I'll still keep shopping here, but I wont buy the content that I disagree with for whatever reasons when I can just ignore it instead. :)

That way I can still get the cool stuff they sell here that I do want. I'm not obligated to buy early-access games or DLC or microtransactions or other generally despised things of similar nature. My only real major complaint or perhaps calling it a "wish" is a better way of putting it, would be to have a feature like Steam has for some time now where you can configure the storefront to basically say "I do NOT want to see early-access, nor to see DLC, nor to see XYZ" and have the store filter all that crap out from promotion spots and other areas of the site, showing you things instead that you might actually be interested in.

Before Steam added that functionality, the store was becoming more and more cluttered with Early Access games and DLC and other crap I have no interest in and I found myself not wanting to bother looking at their promos as they were mostly stuff I considered unappealing crap like that. But after they added the filters, I was able to just filter out the majority of it and now Steam's promo areas show me things I'm actually more likely to be interested in rather than things that make me have a knot in my stomach and curse at them.

GOG needs store promo filters too, but something like that I wager is a very very long way off in the priority order of things. Adding things we're not interested in or despise isn't inherently bad, but forcing us to have to see it every day without any option to make it go away eventually reaches a point where people wont want to bother checking the site out as often or wading through promo materials to find a large percentage of in-dev or similar they're not interested in.
Vainamoinen: And yet, according to other posts in this thread, pirates have somehow managed to do just that - and they've managed it without the benefit of having the source code.
adamhm:
Hahaha, if that's true, and I have no reason to think that it's not - then that is pretty damned funny to say the least, but also not at all surprising. Modders/hackers out there are pretty damned smart at hacking up executables and tweaking things.
Post edited September 06, 2016 by skeletonbow
high rated
Asked for a refund and got it in a couple hours. Wow that's fast! Thanks GoG!

Sorry Armello devs - but I ain't gonna buy this on Steam either. Maybe when you get your act together I'll consider rebuying it here. It better get full support and none of this abandonment crap.

I was looking forward to this on Android - not anymore. I'm never buying anything from LoG until such a time that Armello is fully supported on GoG.

Good luck with selling crippled games.
HypersomniacLive: It's the same, credit card fees and such for refunds are being charged to the store, probably one of the reasons, GOG prefers to give you store credit instead. No idea if that cost is split between GOG and devs/pubs.
mistermumbles: Not just probably one. It is THE one! Charge back fees can amount to anywhere between $15-100... for one transaction.
A refund is not a chargeback though. For refunds they can potentially cancel your initial payment (if it's within a day of buying it), or just transfer back the money, neither of which should come with any significant fees.
mistermumbles: Not just probably one. It is THE one! Charge back fees can amount to anywhere between $15-100... for one transaction.
Basically, if any store gets enough charge back fees due to fraudulent behavior they will earn negative money, especially for something that costs $10 or under.
Pheace: A refund is not a chargeback though. For refunds they can potentially cancel your initial payment (if it's within a day of buying it), or just transfer back the money, neither of which should come with any significant fees.
Nope. Pheace is correct. A chargeback is a demand that the store give back the money they are allegedly wrongly keeping and refusing to return. It means that someone (the store, or the cardholder, or whoever made the purchase) is in the wrong, and the payment system has to spend employee-hours to investigate what happened and what to do about it. A refund is the store returning money to the customer out of their own volition, business as normal except someone has to eat the processing and possibly currency conversion fees.
high rated
adamhm: The game should be removed from sale IMO. GOG already has a reputation for incomplete versions, missing Mac/Linux builds & late or missing patches; things like this will just make it even worse.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

bevinator: If you read the entire text of the "closing the thread" post that Vainamoinen excerpted, it's abundantly clear that it's not actually a technical issue that's preventing them from offering the DLC here. They don't want to offer it here because it's contrary to their business model. That's what all the deflections about the "direction of the gaming industry" are about. Why they're so opposed to this (seemingly simple) issue is up for speculation, but I have a few theories of varying levels of cynicism.
Pretty much, it boils down to "we can't nickel and dime GOG customers with microtransactions through their system". To make matters even more insulting, by renaming the title of the game as they have done, they've deliberately brought a negative connotation to GOG's core principle, dragging the term DRM-Free through the mud as a sales pitch for the Steam version.
Post edited September 06, 2016 by ReynardFox
murcielago: A transcription of one of the "fantastic meetings" LOG said they had with GOG:
Did anyone else imagine Developer 2's lines being spoken by Helios from Deus Ex?
Post edited September 06, 2016 by ReynardFox
*lol*

Funny shit!
tremere110: Sorry Armello devs - but I ain't gonna buy this on Steam either. Maybe when you get your act together I'll consider rebuying it here. It better get full support and none of this abandonment crap.

I'm never buying anything from LoG until such a time that Armello is fully supported on GoG.
Good luck with selling crippled games.
Well said.
100 % with your point.

Bye.

EDIT: I bought here, few minutes ago with near totally* refund.wallet in GOG:

Pack with games Syberia 1 & 2
and DLC Layers of Fear: Inheritance

* 0´12 € are the ashes :D

LoG...puaj
Post edited September 06, 2016 by Hierosclito
high rated
Cypisss: Hey everyone, a short announcement:

Due to changes to the GOG.com version of Armello and the fact that some online functionalities and future content for the game will not be available on GOG.com, we want to make sure all prior owners have a choice. If you feel that the current version of Armello is not something you wished for back when you bought the game - please contact our support team for a refund.
Well, i'm glad about GOG position towards its customers, this is the kind of behavior i trusted GOG would have, thanks.

Now as a customer i'm more concerned about the harm Armello and LoG is doing to GOG as a whole and as a service, than just a handfull of bucks to my wallet.

I mean: one dev gone rogue, ok. I hope GOG is doing whatever it takes for LoG case to remain isolated and not to become only the forst of a following landslide of incident.
Because i like GOG store and service, and i would hate seing it endangered by that for the future.

Btw, i already stated that i wouldnt ask GOG for a refund. The game (from its start) was cool, too bad its dev wanted to turn it into a milking cash-in beast similar to phone game BS. The only kind of refund or retribution i would accept would be from LoG themselves (for example a steam key) but GOG did nothing wrong so i wont turn to GOG to settle the matter.

So i want to keep playing the game (even as single player) and want to keep Armello as a battlescar in my library just to remind me the need of eternal vigilance as a consumer.

Thank you again, though
deleted
Post edited September 06, 2016 by Fairfox
high rated
adamhm: The game should be removed from sale IMO. GOG already has a reputation for incomplete versions, missing Mac/Linux builds & late or missing patches; things like this will just make it even worse.
ReynardFox: Agreed wholeheartedly.

bevinator: If you read the entire text of the "closing the thread" post that Vainamoinen excerpted, it's abundantly clear that it's not actually a technical issue that's preventing them from offering the DLC here. They don't want to offer it here because it's contrary to their business model. That's what all the deflections about the "direction of the gaming industry" are about. Why they're so opposed to this (seemingly simple) issue is up for speculation, but I have a few theories of varying levels of cynicism.
ReynardFox: Pretty much, it boils down to "we can't nickel and dime GOG customers with microtransactions through their system". To make matters even more insulting, by renaming the title of the game as they have done, they've deliberately brought a negative connotation to GOG's core principle, dragging the term DRM-Free through the mud as a sales pitch for the Steam version.
exactly !
thank you too for telling out my own thoughts in a way more concise way
So, basically, what's a problem for LoG is that they can't screw and milk customers here with their mobile app-like cash in crap
so they rebrand it in a way to make people believe that the fact GOG somehow has a creed and business model that, by nature, prevent their customers to get screwed up and exploited this way as mobile-app folks IS a NEGATIVE thing.
Hey, sheepy sheepy, don't buy here, i cant strip you off all your whool !
high rated
Here's the respective quote again.

Now, of course it's theoretically possible to have DLC on DRM Free, I mean, there's a robot taking selfies on Mars right now. So sure, given infinite resources and time we could undertake the task of rewriting the underlying architecture at the core of this decision, but that's straight up not feasible for a vast number of reasons that are unique to LoG, Armello, where we're standing right now and where we see Armello's future.
Now, at the most basic level, this contradicts something else the developer said: That DRM wasn't the issue or the problem, and that they did not believe in DRM. Here, the developer explicitly says that DLC on DRM free is impossible for them; hence DRM free is their problem.

Both statements can not make sense at the same time.

The DRM'd platforms (much like Galaxy) offer to update a game (e.g. with DLC) by checking the purchases of the individual updating customer. That's the functionality that Armello devs seem to miss on GOG.

In my opinion, that means they're missing a form of DRM.
Post edited September 06, 2016 by Vainamoinen
high rated
Cypisss: Hey everyone, a short announcement:

Due to changes to the GOG.com version of Armello and the fact that some online functionalities and future content for the game will not be available on GOG.com, we want to make sure all prior owners have a choice. If you feel that the current version of Armello is not something you wished for back when you bought the game - please contact our support team for a refund.
I received a refund to my GOG wallet this morning.

Thank you for the professional attitude you have shown to customers during these difficult circumstances. I just hope that you manage to recover any losses from League Of Geeks, and that it hasn't done any lasting damage to GOG.