It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
high rated
te_lanus: I doubt this is the first, don't deep silver do the same, release their games here then abandons them.
Yes, there are a number of games here missing patches, updates, and content that has been released elsewhere. This is merely the first, to my knowledge, to publicly confirm that they are abandoning the game here.
Ganni1987: This drives the final nail in the coffin in buying this game. I appreciate the dev coming forward and direct but I am not happy that GOG accepts games inferior games. Lack of multiplayer I can tolerate, Lack of DLC'S not.

Looks like I'm done for good with buying games on release, devs cannot be trusted.
lack of multiplayer ?

wait... i did play online with a friend (who also had the game on gog) and it worked well

what are you saying ? leagu of geeks REMOVED the multiplayer from gog version now with this new crippled edition ? i wont be able to play private games with passcodes ? devs could/should implement a direct IP/hosting game feature to gog version then

because solo game is nice, but quickly boring alone
11 pages and nobody from GOG staff or Game Staff answered us...sad...really...sad...
real.geizterfahr: I didn't feel like playing the Final Cut anymore.
timppu: So what happened? Did the game become sour or something? Is it too old a game now? You can only play games when they are brand-new?
No. I already wrote what happened: I played Torchlight 2 for 208 hours and am not longer in the mood for ARPGs.

timppu: All that vitriole over Final Cut... yet it did arrive to GOG, albeit delayed.
7 months delayed! That's the problem. I bought the games because I was in the mood for an ARPG. I didn't want to start Van Helsing 1, 2 and 3, because I didn't want to start over when the Final Cut arrives. So I waited and waited and waited.

timppu: So you were not stuck with anything, especially as the publisher was willing to provide you a Steam key if you really were in a hurry to play the Final Cut version.
As I said: I didn't buy the game on GOG to play it on Steam.

timppu: Anyway, I guess we won't be seeing you anymore in the GOG forums, right? I heard GOG forums suck too.
Nope, you won't see me around here anymore. I left the forums because I don't want to read racist bullshit from KiNgMyShIfTkEyIsNuTsBrAdLeY anymore, or deal with the trolling of Kleetus, Regals, ciomalau, Tauto and all the other idiots who can't seem to get enough of tinyE and follow him from thread to thread. I'll only post in the game specific subforums if I can help or need help with a game. I just thought this thread is a good chance to let GOG know that it isn't smart to build up a reputation for being extremely slow with patches and updates, or for having outdated versions of games.

real.geizterfahr: Lesson learned -> Don't buy "promises" on GOG.
timppu: Even though GOG actually fulfilled the promise in that case.
Yup... Seven months later. Again: I was in the mood for an ARPG and the Final Cut was supposed to get here. Of course no one said it'll be released here when it'll be released elswhere, but... C'mon, you don't really want to argue about this, do you?

timppu: So how do they "force" developers to do that? It is idiotic to suggest GOG should come up with some nonsense clauses like "if a Steam update doesn't come to GOG during the same day, then the publisher will lose any profits from their games sold on GOG" or some such bs. NO PUBLISHER WOULD ACCEPT SUCH A CLAUSE, PERIOD. You'd have to be very stupid to think they would.
We're not talking about "on the same day". We're talking about "not a couple of months later, if at all". And again: If a publisher or dev isn't willing to sign that he's not going to abandon the GOG version of his game (or not to release a patch that brakes the game and then tells GOG users that they won't release a fix), it might be better if we don't get the game here at all! Sorry for being that arrogant to demand that the games I purchase here get the same patches and stuff that they get on other stores.

timppu: Also, you make it sound like most GOG games are missing updates or DLCs, which is complete bullshit of course. Yes quite often they come later than in Steam, so if getting them ASAP is of utter importance to you, then I guess Steam it is.
You do realize that we're still talking about new games? I usually don't buy new games at full price to wait a couple of months until the GOG version gets the same stuff as other versions. And that happens quite often lately!

timppu: I also think you put far too much blame on GOG on this one. It is the publishers you should be blaming.
If this happens once or twice: Yes, blame the publisher. But if a store starts to build a reputation for getting updates very late, or even for having lots of games that treat GOG costumers as second class citizens, you should be allowed to ask the guys who run the store to make sure that the games you purchase will recieve updates. A Steam version of a game isn't fundamentally different from the GOG version of a game. Steamworks doesn't turn the invisible Sybill from Sam & Max visible. Steamworks doesn't prevent Omerta from showing the ending credits after the first mission. Steamworks isn't what gives KotOR 2 widescreen suport and bug fixes. Steamworks isn't what gives Fahrenheit better textures. Steamworks isn't what gives Deadalic adventures the German audio. All these things don't have to do anything with "maintaining a DRM free version". These things got nothing to do with DRM or DRM free. It's just publishers and developers being too lazy to send their files over to GOG. Yes, it's their fault that they're lazy. But it's GOG's customers who have the choice to live without the updates, or to buy the game again, on another platform.

timppu: Now you are being a bit of an asshole with that statement.

Look, I get it, you don't care about DRM. Good for you.
I do care about DRM. That's why GOG was the first digital store I used. That's why I bought all my games on GOG when I had the choice. That's why I bought games on GOG again that I already got elsewhere (when they weren't available here). That's why I'm writing this oO

timppu: But claiming that those who do are some kind of "idealistic people who fight the war" or "a religious nutcase who buys games here to support GOG and the DRM free bullshit revolution" is just bullshit. I buy DRM-free games because they are of much more value to me than games which will disappear when the store/service disappeares.
I never said that people who care about DRM are religious nutcases who fight the DRM free war. I just said that I AM NOT a religious nutcase who fights the DRM free war. I prefer DRM free, but not at the price of getting an abandoned and outdated version of a game.
high rated
te_lanus: I doubt this is the first, don't deep silver do the same, release their games here then abandons them.
IAmSinistar: Yes, there are a number of games here missing patches, updates, and content that has been released elsewhere. This is merely the first, to my knowledge, to publicly confirm that they are abandoning the game here.
I think the worst part of all this is how GOG is embracing it & trying to spin it as a good thing.
i got a notification about one UPDATED game in my library today... i saw it was armello... i think gog was mistaker: it's a DOWNdate, not an update
in fadt, the "Steamworks" framework that add steam-dependant features to some games that "supposedly prevent them from being on gog" is not exactly the steam DRM anticopy engine, it's a completely different thing (but comes side to side, hand in hand with, most of the time)

it's the social/multiplayer/communautary layer of some sort

if you check the two wiki lists about drm-free steam games, you'll see many games that rely on "steamworks" only can perfectly works from their steam folder/installed version, without steam at all (i mean, even if copying only the steam game folder to another computer where steam service and dll/client never ever was installed)
and those games will still run (so drm free) but "of course", will lack those features that needs interconnexion with steam API through steamworks (like friendlist matchmaking/multiplayer invite and the like)

and many of those "steamworks games that still run perfectly fine without steam" are completely up to date to latest patchs (content or bug correcting patchs) there

so to any dev that tells me that the use of steamworks in their games prevent them from keeping the gog version up to date in diligent and reasonnable time frame, i'll say "uber bullshit, sir !"
Post edited August 31, 2016 by Djaron
Djaron: i got a notification about one UPDATED game in my library today... i saw it was armello... i think gog was mistaker: it's a DOWNdate, not an update
I wouldn't delete the previous version from your drive if you have it. Who knows what you'll lose.
IAmSinistar: Reading no-too-far between the lines, it sounds like what the devs really want to do is focus on making the game online multiplayer centric, which frankly was probably the idea all along since it appears from the reviews single player is pretty basic. Very likely part of their focus is on microtransactions and other stuff they are building using Clanking Rustbucket (or whatever GOG's competitor's framework is called), and since they have already bumped up against their ceiling of competence as developers, they can only do this on one platform.

Basically they are hoping to turn this into a kind of tiny MMO with probably a gazillion micropurchase options (new hat!). And I hope it's the profound failure it deserves to be.
Seeing as GoG just updated the user agreement to allow microtransactions... :(
high rated
tremere110: Seeing as GoG just updated the user agreement to allow microtransactions... :(
now that is a frigthening and sad day for us... nothing protects us anymore from unleashed horde of crappy mobile-game bad ports and shitty "cashmilking" games here

i expect gog to label those games ina very visible way (in fact it is a consumer LAW in my country to properly advertise and present such digital products that would use microtransactions)

so if gog wants to uphold law of countries they are doing business in (and be honnest with full disclosure and consumer awareness) they'd better put a BIG flag/color box/icon/whater to each and every store page of games which rely on this.
I would HATE to have to learn this crap either the hard way or through a diligent user's gogmix on this topic... it's GOG duty to fully warn customers here
high rated
tremere110: Seeing as GoG just updated the user agreement to allow microtransactions... :(
Part of me does wonder if this is a "foot in the door" strategy to get people to accept things like that here. First announce a cut-down version of the game, then after a few days of community uproar announce "we heard your complaints, and that's why we'll be implementing these features here to allow this game and others to have feature sets more comparable to their Steam releases..."
Djaron: i got a notification about one UPDATED game in my library today... i saw it was armello... i think gog was mistaker: it's a DOWNdate, not an update
IAmSinistar: I wouldn't delete the previous version from your drive if you have it. Who knows what you'll lose.
yes, i did the mistake of not keeping old versions of some games and i regret it, and now i rather keep most of the versions i can (but i had to change from a 2 Tb to a 3 Tb hard drive to store my GOG library because of that :( )
and, sure, i'll keep previous version of armello... was glad when i kept my darksiders 2 "non-deathshitnitive edition "
adamhm: Part of me does wonder if this is a "foot in the door" strategy to get people to accept things like that here. First announce a cut-down version of the game, then after a few days of community uproar announce "we heard your complaints, and that's why we'll be implementing these features here to allow this game and others to have feature sets more comparable to their Steam releases..."
I was thinking the same thing XD
See,we listened,you can buy the DLC with new characters and other "features".
I buy DLC without hesitation if i like the game but micro-transactions...here...it's the end,no?
high rated
GOG.com: ...
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."
Ahh... yes, this is a common misunderstanding. You see, there is a way for you to provide DLC for DRM-free users although it is not always obvious. GOG might not have mentioned it to you so I'll give a brief overview of how it works.

Basically, the way for you to provide DLC for DRM-free users on GOG, is to provide DLC for DRM-free users on GOG. Perhaps one of the game developers of one of the 50 or more games that already have DLC for their game on GOG.com could hook up with you on the phone and explain how to go about sending GOG a zip file containing the DLC and other details. Perhaps one of the Witcher 3 developers even.

Hope this helps!
high rated
Their reasoning being that the GOG version doesn't bring in enough money is rather ridiculous when taken into account that they're working on a mobile port - more effort than adding LAN and unlikely to turn a profit for them.
HunchBluntley: To be fair, there have been "gimped" versions of games here ever since GOG started releasing newer games. The existence of Galaxy has arguably somewhat lessened the number, but there'll probably always be some games here that will lack functionality compared to the Steam (or whatever) versions. What is "Steam inventory", anyway? I've never even heard of it before.
The Steam inventory holds items that can be used in-game, items that can be bought or sold on the Steam Marketplace such as trading cards, items that can be used on Steam itself such as stupid emoticons, wallpaper backgrounds you can display on your Steam profile background, game gifts you buy to hold on to to give them or trade them with others in the future, and other similar items.

Few games seem to use the Steam inventory for anything other than dropping trading cards over time. Team Fortress 2 and CS:GO have keys and other in-game items that are mostly tradeable and sit in your Steam inventory. Not aware of any other games that use it though.