It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Becoming a slightly different beast.

<span class="bold">Armello</span>, the digital tabletop/role-playing/strategy game, has now been updated and renamed to Armello - DRM Free Edition. It includes the latest fixes and updates, plus all these lovely animals who will eagerly stab each other with pointy things in order to become rulers of the land. Oh, and it's 25% off for six days!

This edition is a complete strategic experience and will keep receiving updates that are unrelated to DLCs or online features.

Here's what League of Geeks have to say about it (full version <span class="bold">here</span>):

"We want to ensure that whatever platforms Armello is on, we're providing the best experience that we possibly can. As Armello moves more and more into online services (like Steam inventory and more multiplayer features) and as we begin to roll out our plans for DLC, we've been working closely with GOG on an edition of Armello specific to GOG. [..]
We've had fantastic meetings with GOG about the future of Armello on the platform and although there's no way for us to provide DLC for DRM-Free users or to attempt to retain parity with the Steam version of Armello, Armello DRM-Free Edition will see features that best suit a DRM Free experience. [...]."

Get ready to join this new era of colorful animosity with <span class="bold">Armello DRM-Free Edition</span>, exclusively on GOG.com.
The 25% discount will last until September 5, 9:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/o4e5s28x7Ps
Post edited August 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
real.geizterfahr: GOG is pretty much dead to me. DRM free is cool and everything, but... I'm not willing to risk to end up with lots of incomplete, inferior and "abandoned" games on my shelf. And that's not even a problem with newer games only. Just have a look at Postal 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2 or Fahrenheit. Or Sam & Max Save the World (has an almost game breaking bug, where you have to talk to an character that just isn't there). Or Omerta (developer broke it with a patch and refused to fix it, GOG only offered the patched broken installer for download - took them months to offer a user-made patch).
zlep: At the risk of steering off-topic - what are the problems with KOTOR 2 and Fahrenheit? I haven't noticed any issues with the GOG versions.
Steam version of KOTOR 2 got many fixes and official widescreen support and many other good features .
zlep: At the risk of steering off-topic - what are the problems with KOTOR 2 and Fahrenheit? I haven't noticed any issues with the GOG versions.
KOTOR2 is missing the Linux port
KOTOR 2 (Steam)
- OS X and Linux support
- Native widescreen resolution support
- Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
- Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others
- 37 achievements to be earned through gameplay, Steam Cloud saves & Steam Workshop support
- and many other improvements
Fahrenheit Indigo Prophecy Remastered
- OS X and Linux support
- High-definition Graphics (all of the in-game textures have been meticulously recreated in HD for desktop)
- Controller Support (support for Sony and Microsoft controllers for desktop platforms)
- Live Graphics Comparison (players can switch between the updated visuals and the original art assets by pressing F9)
Post edited August 31, 2016 by Frozen
DLC is hard to implement... Look at the Forced Showdown response here. At least Hands of Fate managed to bring their DLC here without spouting this nonsense.

Why do I bother supporting these people, when all they want to do is treat me like a second-class citizen. Look for the amazing collaboration by fronzelneekburm and others:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/suggestions_wanted_for_gog_mix_games_that_treat_gog_customers_as_second_class_citizens

edit: I mean 'DLC is hard to implement' - A person who actually manages to create an entire game.
Post edited August 31, 2016 by micktiegs_8
To the developer:
No.
high rated
So, I've just been wondering, have the devs done anything at all to make up for this? I mean, they pretty much gave the finger to all their supporters who prefer DRM-free games. People who paid just as much for this game, as their Steam customers did. Surely they must have predicted the backlash?

At the very least they could offer GOG owners of the game a free Steam copy -- not like that would satisfy all GOG users, but it would be something. Or how about some GOG store credit, to make up for the fact that they now own an inferior version of the game?

As far as I can tell they've made no efforts of that sort. And it's ridiculous they won't even consider making those new contents available here in the future. A delay could be excused, if they don't have the manpower and resources to focus on the DRM-free version(s) as much as their Steam release. But they're flat-out saying, "nope, won't happen... thanks for buying our game, but you'll have to make do with the crippled version".

By the way, the store page still doesn't mention these new contents/DLCs ( or lack thereof ). In fact, it still seems to be the same description from the pre-release version.

And for that matter, is this new "DRM-Free Edition" at the very least cheaper than the regular version on Steam?
high rated
CharlesGrey: At the very least they could offer GOG owners of the game a free Steam copy
That has exactly zero value. Less than zero actually. That's like saying "Here, take this shit sandwich."
high rated
CharlesGrey: At the very least they could offer GOG owners of the game a free Steam copy
barleyguy: That has exactly zero value. Less than zero actually. That's like saying "Here, take this shit sandwich."
To you. And I wouldn't care for it either. But I'm sure there's many GOG users who also happily use Steam, or at least when they don't want to miss out on a game ( or game content, in this case ). Like I said, it would be something.
high rated
CharlesGrey: And for that matter, is this new "DRM-Free Edition" at the very least cheaper than the regular version on Steam?
Nope, they're both the same base price. If you thought that 25% off sale was something special for the DRM-free version, then you'll be disappointed to learn that the same 25% off sale is going on over on Steam. So, you're not even really getting it at a bargain price for what will amount to the inability to expand the game with more character DLC packs later down the road. Considering the fact that the maps are largely randomly-generated in what tiles appear where in the hex-based grid system, characters are a pretty large bulk of the content.
Attachments:
price.jpg (20 Kb)
Post edited August 31, 2016 by Irenicus73
CharlesGrey: So, I've just been wondering, have the devs done anything at all to make up for this? I mean, they pretty much gave the finger to all their supporters who prefer DRM-free games. People who paid just as much for this game, as their Steam customers did. Surely they must have predicted the backlash?

At the very least they could offer GOG owners of the game a free Steam copy -- not like that would satisfy all GOG users, but it would be something. Or how about some GOG store credit, to make up for the fact that they now own an inferior version of the game?

As far as I can tell they've made no efforts of that sort. And it's ridiculous they won't even consider making those new contents available here in the future. A delay could be excused, if they don't have the manpower and resources to focus on the DRM-free version(s) as much as their Steam release. But they're flat-out saying, "nope, won't happen... thanks for buying our game, but you'll have to make do with the crippled version".

By the way, the store page still doesn't mention these new contents/DLCs ( or lack thereof ). In fact, it still seems to be the same description from the pre-release version.

And for that matter, is this new "DRM-Free Edition" at the very least cheaper than the regular version on Steam?
- backlash of this magnitude means nothing to these people.

- Devs need to give a damn before giving out free Steam keys. edit: they might be nice enough to; but it's not as if GOG we'll openly advertise these things.

- The store page doesn't need to mention the lack of extra stuff because it is essentially a different product now.

- It is in fact cheaper, but only for a limited time (lol).

Tried to answer you best I could.
Post edited August 31, 2016 by micktiegs_8
I'll add this for an update. My original tweet (now that I'm reading it) was rather crass as I was initially shocked. Still, here it is:
Attachments:
Fairfox: lolzer [..] try and turn a stripped-down version of their game into positive news. Nuh-uh.
You mean into..
*thunder*
..Good News™
Post edited August 31, 2016 by phaolo
timppu: Instead, you traded it for the risk of losing your whole game shelf when the service of your choice becomes defunct. Yes, also Steam, especially now with Windows Store increasingly being the default store front for most people in Windows 10.
Honestly? I think GOG goes down way before Steam. Yes, sure, DRM free installers and all that. But I'm honest: I don't keep all my games on DVDs and HDDs, with all the patches (if GOG gets them) and stuff. And I think almost no one does.

timppu: Actually that will happen already before the whole service becomes defunct, if and when the client drops support for an older version of Windows that some of your games may require. Then you have no option to run such games in the older Windows version (even in a virtual machine) because the client will not allow it.
I have Windows 10 on all my machines. If a game equires Windows XP (which Steam client doesn't support), I'll have to find a way to make said game run on Windows 10. I don' keep old computers with old OSes.

immi101: developer treating customers like shit happens on Steam as well.
Yeah, developers are eeeeevil... But on Steam you'll get patches, DLCs and stuff. On GOG you get the finger pretty often lately.

immi101: And Valve does care even less.
Even less? You can't imagine the amount of flying fucks that GOG doesn't give anymore! If I buy something like No Man's Sky on Steam (I did), I just hit the refund link and get my money back (I did that, too). Good luck with that one on GOG.

immi101: If you go to Steam and reward the developers for such behavior by giving them your money on Steam, what do you expect to change? Blame the devs, they are responsible for this -> don't give them money. That's the only thing that will make an impact.
I'm not going to buy Armello on Steam to reward the devs. I just don't buy any games on GOG anymore, because the cases where the GOG version doesn't get support from the devs are getting more and more. And I'm definitely not going to wait and see if a GOG release gets patches and DLC before I buy a game. I just buy it on Steam and can be sure that it'll recieve all the updates.

immi101: I am not sure how much power/influence GOG actually has to strong-arm the developer to fix their shit.
They have no power/influence at all. They're still too niche™. And yes, I know that it's not helping if I buy my games on Steam now. But I'm not here to help GOG. I'm here (or not) to buy games. Working games. Games that get support. It's really not my problem if GOG can't put something in their contracts that devs HAVE to patch their games and release DLC and updates here, too. I'm just not willing to support a store where games are outdated, abandoned and incomplete.
immi101: developer treating customers like shit happens on Steam as well. And Valve does care even less.
Good point. Lots of the worst developer behavior never shows up on GOG because we actually have curation. Prior to Steam introducing refunds, Steam buyers were totally on their own even if the "game" purchased was an outright con.

Not that that helps much in this case, but Steam is hardly a sanctuary of dev support itself.
high rated
Armello DRM-Free Abandoned Edition

Sadly, I need to post this once more:
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/no_more_outdated_or_abandoned_games