It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Thunderstone: But RPGs are fun, they just need a change of scenery. You might as well suggest me to stop drinking coffee while ur at it. :P

I wouldn't mind seeing one take place in Africa, Mexico, or pre-European settled America (north or south). Anything for something different.
McDon: I've always wanted to see pre-Europe America in a game, but is enough known about it to make a game?
Edit: Seen the South part only now, that probably has enough to make game out of. Also, why no love for Oceania? The most forgotten continent in gaming :)
What about Aztaka?
Darling_Jimmy: No. If anything, I'm tired of pseudo-medieval environments.
Exactly. Unfortunately those other environments don't sell.
Post edited March 25, 2013 by XYCat
McDon: I've always wanted to see pre-Europe America in a game, but is enough known about it to make a game?
Edit: Seen the South part only now, that probably has enough to make game out of. Also, why no love for Oceania? The most forgotten continent in gaming :)
XYCat: What about Aztaka?
I only found that the other day, though the Aztecs are pretty well-represented in gaming IMO.
The thing about fantasy environments is the creative freedom associated with them that makes them popular. What's interesting to me is that beside Game of Thrones, in film/TV Medieval-ish settings don't sell that well, while in gaming, it's pretty much the most popular setting.
XYCat: What about Aztaka?
McDon: I only found that the other day, though the Aztecs are pretty well-represented in gaming IMO.
The thing about fantasy environments is the creative freedom associated with them that makes them popular. What's interesting to me is that beside Game of Thrones, in film/TV Medieval-ish settings don't sell that well, while in gaming, it's pretty much the most popular setting.
It's just that to make a fantasy story/setting doesn't mean it has to be that dull and boring tolkienish copycat but anything other than that is just bound to fail when it comes to sales. That's what happened with Arcanum or the latest Secret world.
McDon: I only found that the other day, though the Aztecs are pretty well-represented in gaming IMO.
XYCat: It's just that to make a fantasy story/setting doesn't mean it has to be that dull and boring tolkienish copycat but anything other than that is just bound to fail when it comes to sales. That's what happened with Arcanum or the latest Secret world.
Damn you Tolkien, although Fable 3 sold well and had a steampunk/fantasy mix, probably just depends on marketing.
XYCat: It's just that to make a fantasy story/setting doesn't mean it has to be that dull and boring tolkienish copycat but anything other than that is just bound to fail when it comes to sales. That's what happened with Arcanum or the latest Secret world.
McDon: Damn you Tolkien, although Fable 3 sold well and had a steampunk/fantasy mix, probably just depends on marketing.
Massive advertising campaign is the only way to get the sales for creativity in AAA titles these days. Mass Effect wouldn't succeed without it, that's for sure looking at Jade Empire that wasn't worse than any other bioware rpg but didn't have the advertising that mass effect had so it didn't sell as good. Any entry in the Fable series is always hyped up to the top by Peter Molyneux and it helps as well.
tinyE: I can see it now. The 1st ever RPG set in the mystical realm of 'Duluth Minnesota'.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/i_will_only_buy_western_rpgs_from_now_on/post134

That reminds me of the last part of the little rant (that I still feel was justified) from above.

That being said... if we are talking RPGs in general, & not just WRPGs, the Persona series has proven that setting a RPG in a modern urban city can provide amazing results.
tinyE: I can see it now. The 1st ever RPG set in the mystical realm of 'Duluth Minnesota'.
Roberttitus: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/i_will_only_buy_western_rpgs_from_now_on/post134

That reminds me of the last part of the little rant (that I still feel was justified) from above.

That being said... if we are talking RPGs in general, & not just WRPGs, the Persona series has proven that setting a RPG in a modern urban city can provide amazing results.
Too bad I wasn't here for that, because that's the kind of argument you want me in, one about the virtues of reality. :P Your reaction (rant if you will) was beautiful.

One quick note about my silly comment above, it's not an RPG but there is a level in NOLF 2 that takes place in Indiana. I think it's Indiana. I was born and raised in the midwest and to be honest not even we can tell the difference from one state to another out there.
Roberttitus: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/i_will_only_buy_western_rpgs_from_now_on/post134

One reason I like Japanese games is the fact that sometimes Western games take themselves far too serious IMO.