It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hedwards:
McDon: Trust me, not counting recent Irish immigrants, I could recognize a American even without the accent.
Oh really? I challenge you! Spot the American:
Attachments:
sta.jpg (23 Kb)
McDon: Trust me, not counting recent Irish immigrants, I could recognize a American even without the accent.
tinyE: Oh really? I challenge you! Spot the American:
Oh! Oh! Is it Pikachu! Wait no! How about the Dragon Ball Z guy behind Captain America!?
hedwards: Depends where you're talking about. Around here, the only hint that you're not dealing with Europeans is that we smile more and take more showers.

Trying to identify that quintessential thing that makes people American is virtually impossible, especially since people don't give up their cultural beliefs when they immigrate. Choose the right part of the US and you'd never know you were in the US, if not for the signs.
Accent's a different matter.

No American is going to miss that as English language accents are something that we pay very close attention to. But, given that most English speakers in the world have some sort of an American accent, it seems a bit odd, to expect anything else.

You're statistically most likely to run into an American English speaker if it's truly random.

Anyways, I don't really care, I just think that folks are stretching a bit to draw a conclusion that doesn't really follow.
And here I was thinking I would never have a reason to post that pic. :p
hedwards: Accent's a different matter.

No American is going to miss that as English language accents are something that we pay very close attention to. But, given that most English speakers in the world have some sort of an American accent, it seems a bit odd, to expect anything else.

You're statistically most likely to run into an American English speaker if it's truly random.

Anyways, I don't really care, I just think that folks are stretching a bit to draw a conclusion that doesn't really follow.
That's cause Chinese are mainly taught American English. Hardly any non-Americans with English as a first language have some sort of American accent.
hedwards: Accent's a different matter.

McDon: That's cause Chinese are mainly taught American English. Hardly any non-Americans with English as a first language have some sort of American accent.
No, it's because with a population of 310m we have more native speakers over all than the rest of the world combined. Granted, not all of those folks are native speakers, but we do have a slim majority of the total even without including foreigners speaking our brand of English.
McDon: It's the mannerisms of the people and the style, as someone else said, you can easily tell from dialogue and the storyline where the city is set. If you think Europeon and American people act similarly, you definitely need to take more holidays.
hedwards: Depends where you're talking about. Around here, the only hint that you're not dealing with Europeans is that we smile more and take more showers.

Trying to identify that quintessential thing that makes people American is virtually impossible, especially since people don't give up their cultural beliefs when they immigrate. Choose the right part of the US and you'd never know you were in the US, if not for the signs.
Excuse me, aren't you the guy that said in my thread yesterday that bathing once a week was more than enough?
McDon: That's cause Chinese are mainly taught American English. Hardly any non-Americans with English as a first language have some sort of American accent.
hedwards: No, it's because with a population of 310m we have more native speakers over all than the rest of the world combined. Granted, not all of those folks are native speakers, but we do have a slim majority of the total even without including foreigners speaking our brand of English.
Actually it's a fact that there's more Chinese studying English than there is Americans.
tinyE: And here I was thinking I would never have a reason to post that pic. :p
You should never let reason keep you from doing anything, now if you'll excuse me, Jimi Hendrix has invited me to go pony trekking under the sea.
No. If anything, I'm tired of pseudo-medieval environments.
Darling_Jimmy: No. If anything, I'm tired of pseudo-medieval environments.
Yes, yes, yes completely agreed.
Then stop playing RPGs ;)
McDon: Then stop playing RPGs ;)
But RPGs are fun, they just need a change of scenery. You might as well suggest me to stop drinking coffee while ur at it. :P

I wouldn't mind seeing one take place in Africa, Mexico, or pre-European settled America (north or south). Anything for something different.
Post edited March 25, 2013 by Thunderstone
Thunderstone: But RPGs are fun, they just need a change of scenery. You might as well suggest me to stop drinking coffee while ur at it. :P

I wouldn't mind seeing one take place in Africa, Mexico, or pre-European settled America (north or south). Anything for something different.
I can see it now. The 1st ever RPG set in the mystical realm of 'Duluth Minnesota'.
Thunderstone: But RPGs are fun, they just need a change of scenery. You might as well suggest me to stop drinking coffee while ur at it. :P

I've always wanted to see pre-Europe America in a game, but is enough known about it to make a game?
Edit: Seen the South part only now, that probably has enough to make game out of. Also, why no love for Oceania? The most forgotten continent in gaming :)
Post edited March 25, 2013 by McDon