It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

FrodoBaggins: What we really need, is for them to fix the site, and make sure it works in all the major browsers.
If they expect to attract customers, and want customers to spend money, they can't just shrug their shoulders and close their eyes.
What browser is it failing to work in? I know it's failing in IE and from what I can tell that is because angular is failing to work.

Fuz: You don't design for mobile if your customers are on PC.
First off I do web development so I know how this works. Second, yea you do because most web traffic is moving to mobile / tablets. Even if you are playing game from a PC, most people are likely accessing GOG from a mobile device to buy their games.
Post edited October 20, 2018 by BKGaming
high rated
Fuz: Wrong. That is THE problem.
The only way to really fix this mess is to fully revert the design.
BKGaming: Not really. Designing for mobile is fine, you can still have a good desktop experience. GOG just did a bad job at it.
I have to agree with you on that. It is easily possible to make two complete different pages, one for PC and one for mobile. Just use the browser string to render the page accordingly. If you are not stupid and know your job, this is easy. They did not have to change a thing with the „old“ page and could have just coded a new mobile page. An example would be www.kicker.de. Maybe GOG should ask them for help and ask how they magically did that.
high rated
Can anyone explain to me, what exactly is "designed for mobile" in the new design? As I understand it, mobile devices are different in two ways: you have a smaller screen, and you have way less precise input device in touchscreen instead of mouse. If a website is weird and inconvenient, and its pages do not contain the information you look for, e.g., what games were just released, or what exact module of Neverwinter Nights is behind that game card, you do not magically access that info easier on a mobile device.

Why are huge images taking the whole screen better for mobile (isn't it even worse there because of smaller screens)? No labels on game cards - better for mobile? Lack of text and obscure late-AJAXed news on the front page? Tons of javascript loading the CPU noticeably more than the previous version? Annoying and nausea-inducing effect when the speed of image scrolling is different from the speed of other content scrolling? Scary enlarging, popping out animations? (how do they even work on mobile devices without a mouse - there's no hover there, right? When you touch the screen, you are clicking the link and are redirected to the game page, so you don't even see the popping out thing and autoplaying youtube, do you?)

I do not use mobile devices, but i imagine the design would feel even worse there than on a PC. The only thing that looks to me like it's made for easier mobile use is the larger buttons on the "buy" panel.
Post edited October 21, 2018 by deesklo
high rated
It's entirely possible to create a "responsive" CSS design that works well for both desktop and mobile at the same time. A 1080p 24-27" monitor and 1080p 8" tablet have the same resolution but very different pixel densities, but that can be easily detected via Media Queries which can then change the Style Sheet. You really don't have to sacrifice one for another. See the various "CSS Media Queries" examples on the W3schools CSS Tutorial site.

The problem here is really one of base design mistakes:-

1. The banner at the top is far too big on a monitor. It's possible to be eye-catching without being over the top.

2. News boxes / Sale sections that changes always goes at the top of a website not the bottom. It's literally the first thing many people come to see, so putting it in the last place they'll scroll makes no sense. The old design was far better.

3. Hover effects look cool but are best done in a bandwidth friendly manner, ie, have them "pop-out" a little as you mouseover with a CSS effect, but don't stick video content inside them. Only show video on the game's page after you've clicked on it.

4. A properly done responsive design can scale to use the full width of the screen both ways. Eg, view your Game Library on a 1366x768 laptop and you see 5 columns. Reduce the width of your browser below 900 pixels and it'll intelligently drop down to 4, then 3, etc, width game boxes on your Library page. But it doesn't scale up the same way and you still see the same 5 columns on a 1080p with huge 12cm fixed width margins even though you could easily fit 7 columns in there and still have decent sized 6cm margins either side. Other than the banner, the site doesn't appear to get bigger than 1100 pixels width.

On a 1080p tablet, if I go into Store -> Action -> Browse All Action Games, I'm seeing it use all 1920 width pixels to show 4x boxes wide. On a desktop 1080p monitor viewing the same page, I'm seeing only 3x boxes wide (due to a filters side-bar) but a ton of white space due to it using only 1100 out of 1920 pixels. It's possible to close the filters side-bar to get 4x, however you could easily fit 5x boxes width and keep the sidebar (or 6-7 boxes wide without it) and still have 2-3cms margins within the same 1920 pixel width. As it stands now, you see more informational width on an 8" tablet screen than you do on a 27" monitor mostly due to all the white-space which is bizarre to say the least. Larger screens should show more information, not less.

I really hope certain changes are made to the current "re-design". Out of all the things people wanted improving on the site the most (forum software, wishlists, etc), scrapping what worked on the old design clearly wasn't it. The new review system is better, but News / Sales at the bottom of the page is the wrong kind of 'creativity'...
Post edited October 21, 2018 by AB2012
high rated
What I dislike most about the new layout is that I can't any longer find a place where I can sort by release date. I loved coming here for the old games, but if I have to trawl through pages and pages of new releases to get to them, I will never get around to it. I see absolutely no point in removing that filter.
high rated
Glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues with the new site. I miss a lot of things. It's incredible to me that changes are implemented which seem to make the site worse, instead of better.

1. I used to visit the home page and immediately look for the weekly sale link. That seems to be gone, or maybe it's extremely well hidden.

2. I used to click on the "store" link, get a list of all the games, and then easily filter the ones on sale, then filter by release date (which is now gone, which means I can't filter games released before 2000... you know... the good old games). Features removed because... Who knows why.

3. The game pages themselves are a mess. The screenshots used to work fine on my venerable Moto X 4.4.4 Android. Not so anymore. Furthermore, the information I need the most (goodies included, manuals, soundtracks, etc.) seems to require more clicks, and more scrolling to be found.

All in all, the "upgrades" have made GOG a much more difficult site for me to use, which mean less incentive for me to check it out more often (since I know it's going to be a pain to find sales, info, filter what I want, and so on).

I understand GOG needs a flashier site to bring new users in, but how about leaving some kind of option for the people who don't need any of it, and just want pure, simple ease of use?
AB2012: See the various "CSS Media Queries" examples on the W3schools CSS Tutorial site.
Or alternatively include a library like bootstrap which makes it easy to create a "responsive" design.
high rated
It's because CD Projekt is getting bigger. Already "100% DRM-free" is gone - look at Gwent. Eventually they'll be the same as EA. GOG Galaxy will eventually be mandatory. It's all in the works... time will tell...
I stared at that GIF for about a minute before realising the "but" wasn't coming, and then I realised it was an allegory for life.
PoppyAppletree: I stared at that GIF for about a minute before realising the "but" wasn't coming, and then I realised it was an allegory for life.
Well said :D
Front page of GOG.com was always great place for info for me. I could easily see new releases, promos, and everything I needed.

Now I don't even know what games are released unless I click on a specific section of a page.

Not to mention the Thronebreaker ad...
TL;DR wherein a new user coming over full time from Steam finds the Galaxy client clunky AF and points out annoyances in it including how bad the store filters are.

I've had a GOG account since 2013, but I recently came over full time from 10 years and 550+ games on Steam because Valve had literally open the gates to garbage, and sorting through shovelware to find the one good game I want to buy isn't how I want to spend my limited game playing time.

For people complaining about CD Projekt Red getting big, yeah. But they are still worlds better than the garbage heap that is Steam. That being said, the Galaxy client is clunky and annoying AF - especially to a new full-time user like me.

On my purchased games page, I want to be able to craft a review easily (still havent figured out where that is). I want to go to the forum and be able to search forum posts for a specific game (NOT a series) by keywords easily ie "CTD char creation". Also, the recommendations suck. Every single RPG (RPGs of all flavors, strategy sims and FP non-shooters are my mainstay), it just shows me the Witcher series. Which are great games don't get me wrong - I have hundreds of hours in each. But come on, CD Projekt. Isnt that kind of tooting your own horn?

And dont even get me started on how much a cluster the store is. I wanted to buy an RPG metroidvania today. I go to the filters, and what options are there? Real real basic ones. Price, basic genre, basic playstyles (controller, SP, etc) and language. Great. They really need better filters, including xrefs between game types.

And I want to see a basic review score in the thumbnail, or at least genre type, insteda of some video that may or may not show any real gameplay footage and I have to sit and watch for a few seconds to get an idea of the game. If I'm in the mood to buy a specific type of game, I want to be able to immediately ignore a game type I'm not interested in without having to click on a video.

Its gotten so I search games on Steam and buy them here, and I check Steam's forums too, just because they are way easier to navigate for the specific game.This is totally defeating the purpose of having a GOG client in the first place and not having to wade through piles of freemuim garbage and shovelware to find good games - which is why I decided to come over in the first place.
high rated
AB2012: It's entirely possible to create a "responsive" CSS design that works well for both desktop and mobile at the same time. A 1080p 24-27" monitor and 1080p 8" tablet have the same resolution but very different pixel densities, but that can be easily detected via Media Queries which can then change the Style Sheet. You really don't have to sacrifice one for another. See the various "CSS Media Queries" examples on the W3schools CSS Tutorial site.

The problem here is really one of base design mistakes:-

[...]
Indeed. I can't believe I'm actually glad they didn't change the forums (yet?). Because, as we have just seen, it can get worse.
raixel: TL;DR wherein a new user coming over full time from Steam finds the Galaxy client clunky AF and points out annoyances in it including how bad the store filters are.

I've had a GOG account since 2013, but I recently came over full time from 10 years and 550+ games on Steam because Valve had literally open the gates to garbage, and sorting through shovelware to find the one good game I want to buy isn't how I want to spend my limited game playing time.

For people complaining about CD Projekt Red getting big, yeah. But they are still worlds better than the garbage heap that is Steam. That being said, the Galaxy client is clunky and annoying AF - especially to a new full-time user like me.

On my purchased games page, I want to be able to craft a review easily (still havent figured out where that is). I want to go to the forum and be able to search forum posts for a specific game (NOT a series) by keywords easily ie "CTD char creation". Also, the recommendations suck. Every single RPG (RPGs of all flavors, strategy sims and FP non-shooters are my mainstay), it just shows me the Witcher series. Which are great games don't get me wrong - I have hundreds of hours in each. But come on, CD Projekt. Isnt that kind of tooting your own horn?

And dont even get me started on how much a cluster the store is. I wanted to buy an RPG metroidvania today. I go to the filters, and what options are there? Real real basic ones. Price, basic genre, basic playstyles (controller, SP, etc) and language. Great. They really need better filters, including xrefs between game types.

And I want to see a basic review score in the thumbnail, or at least genre type, insteda of some video that may or may not show any real gameplay footage and I have to sit and watch for a few seconds to get an idea of the game. If I'm in the mood to buy a specific type of game, I want to be able to immediately ignore a game type I'm not interested in without having to click on a video.

Its gotten so I search games on Steam and buy them here, and I check Steam's forums too, just because they are way easier to navigate for the specific game.This is totally defeating the purpose of having a GOG client in the first place and not having to wade through piles of freemuim garbage and shovelware to find good games - which is why I decided to come over in the first place.
Even though you've been here a while, they don't make it clear, so I have to ask Morpheus-style...

What if I told you that you don't need to use the Galaxy client to play your games?

There are multiple topics about curation. I happen to agree with you, but it sounds like we are in a minority given other topics on this board. People want to just let everything in. No one wants to admit that this will further bury good games where people can't see them, as, no one has yet given a satisfactory response (or any response for that matter, irrc) when I bring it up.. The new layout makes it difficult enough for people to blind buy. Imagine if it was flooded, Steam/Itch style...the good games would become even more buried. This isn't really a problem for big games like Fallout (people would know to search for it) but in trying to discover lesser-known gems, it makes it harder to wade through a sea of indies.
high rated
john_hatcher: It is easily possible to make two complete different pages, one for PC and one for mobile
No, he's talking about a mobile design that works on PC too.

I do agree to have TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE DESIGNS for mobile and desktop.
EagleArch1019: GOG Galaxy will eventually be mandatory
The only reason I use GOG is that the client is optional. I don't have galaxy installed and I DO NOT WANT IT. I do not use steam for the same reason.

They make it mandatory, I stop buying here.
Post edited October 21, 2018 by Fuz