It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
I'd say the new page design is "user hostile" and would not be surprised in reduced sales due to the inefficient design.
high rated
Now, just to be honest: they heard us. The double megabanner at the top is "single" again. Games on sale are very close to the top, even if presented in a chaotic, undescriptive manner.
The concept of the renewal is intrinsically bad and nothing can change that, but al least now the front page is only bad and not abysmal anymore.

If I were a conspiracy nut I would argue that if you want to shove a worsening of a site down the throat of the community, a good way to acclimate them to it, it would be to completely destroy usability with the first release and then step back to the design that was initially chosen, in order to make THAT to appear as an improvement.

But I don't think they are so mean.

Ill advised for sure, but not mean.
Post edited October 20, 2018 by Qoelet
Still haven't fix the rating system, GOG? Or is it going to be permanent? If a vote doesn't show the numbers of how many votes, then the rating is pretty much useless or uninformative at best.
dixxn: Still haven't fix the rating system, GOG? Or is it going to be permanent? If a vote doesn't show the numbers of how many votes, then the rating is pretty much useless or uninformative at best.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_what_did_just_break_thread_20/post1949
high rated
BKGaming: I feel saying, "well they are designing for mobile, so that is why it is crap" is non helpful. All we really need some simple changes. Remove the videos. Remove the mouse hover design. Shrink the large ass banners on large screens (easy enough to detect screen size and make them larger on small screens). Add a few other minor touches (like re-working the layout a bit).

Then the vast majority of the complaints would be satisfied and mobile would not be changed much at all.
What we really need, is for them to fix the site, and make sure it works in all the major browsers.
If they expect to attract customers, and want customers to spend money, they can't just shrug their shoulders and close their eyes.

Forget the cosmetic changes. Username account at the top is missing. Screenshots on game page reviews are missing. News is completely gone. Empty black banner at the top. Scroll bars for 'Now On Sale' games don't work. It's been a few weeks now, and these problems have still not been fixed.
high rated
The new GoG website is a total disaster!

I have repeatedly urged gog support to undo the changes introduced with the 10 years jubilee - after nearly a eek I received an impersonal mass response in "shut-up-and.learn.to-live-with-it"-style... :-(

It is SSSLLLOOOWW, news and sys-reqs are hidden far at hte bottom, login is only possible with the ugly new firefox 57up, update log text cannot be copied any more, updated games are not shown any more in the "update" filter, only the number of updated games (?!) - What the f*** !? :-(

Outrageous! :-(

Franz
high rated
This is getting more and more ridiculous every day!

Today it took more than 3 or 4 minutes to login... as usual now I could not login via the frontpage, had to use
login.gog.com
and after entering my password (no captcha today, hoorrraaaayy!) always was shown the gog bear with the "sorry the site is overburdened" message...

And now the fun part: as the front page is now completely useless, I always go quickly through the general discussion page to find messages about new releases and sales. There was a new release named "Timelapse"... clicked on the game page and ok, not one of the games I am going to play, but for free I was prepared to grab it just for the collection....

I clicked on checkout next and wow - they now wanted to charge me! OK, gog.com if this is the new way to sell your games, then sorry, I am out of here for the weekend and no thank you, I will not buy that game...

p.s.: it seems that they have fixed that now, I now get a price quoted on the normal game page... well whatever, there are so many bugs now on this site, that this one does not really matter... forget about it and fix the major bugs and the website's design instead, thank you!
Attachments:
Post edited October 20, 2018 by RainbowDragon
high rated
viranimus: I am not fond of how much usable info has been either lost or obfuscated in this iteration. Primarily the difficulty it is to find specific (IE Weekly, Weekend, Daily )sales. Especially with the way that the "news" has been shunted to the bottom of the page which was usually the first or second thing I would look for each visit.
Came here to post about this. Granted most of the news is just announcements of new releases or sales, but having the news section readily available upon visiting made the site feel like "more" than just a dumping ground for game sales, and at least gave me more reason to visit daily, even if I had no intention of buying anything, and in turn the more I visit the more likely something will catch my eye. Ironically now that the front page consists mostly of pushing products in the visitor's face, I feel less compelled to visit as frequently; I haven't even kept track of the weekly sales since the site change. Don't know if others feel the same but that's how I feel.

Edit: Reading through the rest of the thread, it seems plenty of others feel similarly.
Post edited October 20, 2018 by Demorgan87
high rated
Same reaction as during the introduction of GOG Galaxy (and the former site revamp):

Radio silence here from GOG who are so proud of being customer friendly, so listening to the community and the proud, loudmouth knight of no DRM land. I guess their web design is one thing that is not negotiable and only changed minimal to flatten the protest waves enough.

I know that the GOG staff is lurking here, so:

- move the news section to the top of the page and include at least one or two paragraphs to make us all happy.
- we *own* our purchased copies of our games, they are not just as now "in our library", so revert the badge.
- put the title back on the game cards, we are not afraid to read it without hovering over it.
- offer at least an option in the user settings to disable the mouseover video bonanza (or remove them alltogether).
- loading performance from images-xx.gog.com is abysmal: Every picture takes about 60ms to 300ms (0,3 seconds) for downloading.

Solution:
- double the current image servers from 4 to 8.
- store the images locally on the image serveres (on SSDs) or have a REALLY beefy network storage which is in the same subnet and does not bottleneck the image servers. it is probably better the first solution and just run unison to keep the local files consistent.
- use something like memcached (+ nginx) to cache your images in RAM.
- provide enough RAM for this
- provide enough threads for processing multiple requests at once

If you wanna insist on having such an image-heavy frontpage, you will need to provide enough bandwith (internet connection, local network, and datapaths aka cpu threads, memory, disk I/O).

Our company is really smaller but we heavily invested in these things and it did pay off, also in heavily optimising our pictures (pngcrush or jpegoptim).

Oh, the youtube embedding stuff surely also is a factor for killing the load speed of www.gog.com.
high rated
I agree. The website is really pushing you out.
The games in "sale" seems to be stuck there by forever, as lacking a clear indication of what has been added, you need to scroll trough all the games, every time, to check if something has changed.

Also, the time it took GOG to recover from these mishaps, is huge.
I struggle to understand how they can keep to stay on business.

I decided, for now, to spend my money somewhere else.
high rated
ferdinand82: Who the hell took over Gog? Have you been bought by a large company?
They have become a large company, and were taken over by that mindset... Alternately, CDP's large company mindset spilled over, even more so since they decided to shove GWENT down GOG's throat, not only eliminating the 100% DRM-free status but also making GOG foot the bill, in terms of costs, manpower and server load, for maintaining that game while CDP gets the income.
FrodoBaggins: What we really need, is for them to fix the site, and make sure it works in all the major browsers.
If they expect to attract customers, and want customers to spend money, they can't just shrug their shoulders and close their eyes.

Forget the cosmetic changes. Username account at the top is missing. Screenshots on game page reviews are missing. News is completely gone. Empty black banner at the top. Scroll bars for 'Now On Sale' games don't work. It's been a few weeks now, and these problems have still not been fixed.
Yeah, good luck with that. I've been asking to make sale front pages work properly in IE for the past several sales, since they didn't, now that sort of coding just spilled over into the entire site, and highly doubt they care any more than they did all this time.
Post edited October 20, 2018 by Cavalary
high rated
This is my first time attempting to put a post on this forum.

I loved it the way it was before the update. I knew where the sales were and there was no mistake about it.

These days, can still find the sales but things are so much less defined that I wind up missing some of them because there's much less said about sale beginnings or endings, or what kind of sale it is.

Yes, with more effort, one can still determine whether something is on sale as a weekly, or weekend sale, but little else.

To my dismay, I went to purchase two games I had on my wishlist and found they're both no longer on sale. Apparently these were not regular weekly sale titles and that ticks me off. I rarely purchase any games full price and feel the sale prices are more to the true value of the games, the regular pricing being more like perceived values.

At this point, I am trying to clear out my wishlist of the six games that are on it now, (down from nearly 100 at this time last year) so I can close my account here.

I hate the new update. It's not that I don't like change, but this place has gotten so large that it cares less and won't be hurt by droves leaving.

It was good whilst it lasted.
high rated
BKGaming: feel saying, "well they are designing for mobile, so that is why it is crap" is non helpful.
Wrong. That is THE problem.
The only way to really fix this mess is to fully revert the design.
BKGaming: feel saying, "well they are designing for mobile, so that is why it is crap" is non helpful.
Fuz: Wrong. That is THE problem.
The only way to really fix this mess is to fully revert the design.
Not really. Designing for mobile is fine, you can still have a good desktop experience. GOG just did a bad job at it.
Post edited October 20, 2018 by BKGaming
high rated
You don't design for mobile if your customers are on PC.