It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

One thing that is still missing on gog are bundle offers. Games in bundles with dlc are generally a lot cheaper on Steam and other stores cause of that.

For example. For Ashes of the Singularity there is a Gold Bundle on Steam and while on sale like now it retails for 19,71€. If you buy dlc separately you get to 32,91€. This is an area where gog needs to work on to improve the store.

I kinda expected them to implement with the new change but alas not here again.
Post edited October 05, 2018 by Matruchus
high rated
Matruchus: One thing that is still missing on gog are bundle offers. Games in bundles with dlc are generally a lot cheaper on Steam and other stores cause of that.

For example. For Ashes of the Singularity there is a Gold Bundle on Steam and while on sale like now it retails for 19,71€. If you buy dlc separately you get to 32,91€. This is an area where gog needs to work on to improve the store.

I kinda expected them to implement with the new change but alas not here again.
Also:
If you own base game and every DLC of a bundle by having bought them seperately, the complete pack is still shown as "not owned".
For example if you bought "Don't Starve" sometime and then the individual DLCs "Reign of Giants" and "Shipwrecked", you have exactly the same stuff in your library than with the "Don't Starve Alone" pack but it's still not shown as owned and can be bought without adding anything to the library.

It baffles me why instead of fixing problems GOG yet again rather introduced new ones and removed features like the list view or simply showing the names of games without hovering over some huge images.
Post edited October 05, 2018 by Klumpen0815
high rated
I love how on the store page I can't even see a game's title (it's often not that obvious from the thumbnail) without hovering over the thumbnail... and then a YouTube video starts playing. 288x145 videos are extremely useful, and not at all a waste of bandwidth.

And 3-4 titles per row? I'm sure vertical monitors are great for coding web pages, but that's not what your customers are using.
Post edited October 05, 2018 by plagren
Well I finally got the store pages to load on my slow connection without timing out.
I blocked all youtube resources from loading. Problem solved.
I‘m pretty sure no one of GOG ever tried their page on an iPad Air, because the main page (and to some degree the game pages) take some time to load. That‘s not the worst. Even worse is scrolling through the main page, because I more than once selected an entry (game or news) accidentally. This new website, to me it seems as anything new on GOG‘s side is never tested before releasing it to the public. Just pure incompetence!
high rated
Ugh, another complete and utter design failure: replacing the the various colored discount boxes with a single generic purple discount box. Some designer (or marketing guy) said "Hey, we're stupid for color coding our discounts! People can tell if they're getting a good deal just by looking at the color! That's too convenient, so let's get rid of that!"
Well I didn't really mind the change, I didn't think it was too bad. But then this happened:
Attachments:
um.jpg (303 Kb)
Post edited October 05, 2018 by DOWL
Looks like a CSS load failure to me.
high rated
Second the notion that new interface is shit, and old one should be reinstated, it was very good
fronzelneekburm: Ugh, another complete and utter design failure: replacing the the various colored discount boxes with a single generic purple discount box. Some designer (or marketing guy) said "Hey, we're stupid for color coding our discounts! People can tell if they're getting a good deal just by looking at the color! That's too convenient, so let's get rid of that!"
Another part of a reform marked by how it goes against customer convenience.

Added: Did you notice that the compromise with GOGs former values and rifgts of the customers has disappeared from the frontpage?
Post edited October 05, 2018 by Carradice
high rated
First i would please quickly dismiss the annoying horde of patronizing people who would quickly jump on me to lecture me as inblah blah blah, change is good, damn old geezers who cant stand changes and always complain about it should just adapt and keep quiet - polite version of SFTU - or get lost - old school way of nowaday's die from cancer, scum, as we see on internet. I would respectfully direct you to go back to watching the world through the tiny 6-7 inches large screens of your life-proxy devices, thank you... We all know the world revolve around you and catter to you already, so no need to get bragging more...

So, NO, not every change is good and to be embraced... A change need to answer to a gap or problem that was there before, the need of evolution is to improve oneself and, yes, adapt to the surrounding, which here is making me seriously question exactly what GOG has in mind, and the way GOG folks are perceiving their surrounding and their userbase.

Let me put it straight: the point of a store is to SELL things. Pretty blunt, i admit, and it may shattrs your illusions but it's the boiled down truth of is. You can sugarcoat it with any "value" or "community feeling" or "user experience" PR/marketing crap as you want, in the end, it's to sell.
To whom does a store sell things ? To CUSTOMERS ! Oh, shocking revelation ! This money doesnt come magically from anonymous numbers or by itself on the GOG Vault ! It comes from us and our purses, and that's who we are: customers, and so, human beings.

My main problem(s) with the current GOG website revamping (yet another one, always in same wrong direction: aka "away from users/customers" and "straight into frontal clash with Steam, which shall neither be seen as a competitor, frankly, nor as a model to follow... Because it's as if a family oldschool home cooking restaurant or a star-chief gastronomic one would see MacDonald or BurgerKing as their direct competitor to push themselves on par with...)

1) The game page
Before the revamping, you had exactly every useful pieces of information a customer could need to at least catch their own interest and keep digging on the store page a little further and consider buying a game already: a trailer, a few promopics (easy to link anywhere else for "spreading the word" purpose among known friends/people), details on game release time, devs and publisher names, price of course, and minimum technical requirements to run the game, and community global rating of the game... All on a single glance on a single widescreen page.

Now what we have: Partial view of a trailer or of a cover art (depending on the game), bunche of promopics with a typical embedded "gallery/pic display engine script" (and they are now not easy to link, but it was probably the point), community rating and a big big big BUY button (i mean: 8 time as big as previously), probably all of that meant for phone and tablet use... For a store that sells... Computer games !
Oh, you wanted to know trivial useless things like if your machine can run it, who publishes it or develop it, which additional languages it does support, as well as possible additional features like controller support, cloud saving (for those using galaxy) or such ? you'll have to dig down with one or two more mousewheel scrolls at least 'or a gentle finger touch maybe :) )
And the user reviews are on the very bottom now, but at least finally they are sortable...

(hey, a GREAT idea for you to "improve user experience" even further in the brickwalled/darkpit destination you seem to be willing to drive to: while you are at it, directly make the trailer to autolaunch and play each time you visit the game page, and of course, make it a behavior not possible to turn off or set in personal preferences of course, Proud GOG way all along !)

2) The front page:

Why putting the "news headlines" back to the bottom of the page ? I mean, the concept of "news" is to be seen quickly, right ?

At least the block of "popular/new/upcoming" wasnt removed, but it now shares the space with a new block of "curated collections". If you are into making "moder UI" stuff or "adaptive webdesign", then use AJAX of similar technology to let the user rearrange the different UI blocks of the webpage according to THEIR need. And/or have some of the blocks togglable on/off through personnal settings at least.

I am obviously upset and fed up at this patronizing and infantilizing attitude stores like GOG or others do have in presomptuously assuming what is good for their users/customers in place of themselves. We are grow up adults with payment methods, we ought to have by now earned the right of stop being treated like kids by "goodythiking" parents who know what's best for us, thank you ! So, give us CHOICE, give us CUSTOMIZATION, give us the way to decide for ourselves what is our BEST user experience according to OUR needs and standards, instead of shoveling YOUR own best vision of "user experience" down your throat... Choose a default one, sure, for people who dont care or dont want to bother, but stopp treating each and every of us as if we were undecided and clueless children !

Oh, and still: no "hide owned games from the store" toggable setting, again..

With each revamping, or as you call it, each "improvement" to the website UI, you make the whole task of shopping through your store an endlessly growingly tedious and timewasting CHORE ! Is it as if you decided we had to SUFFER to earn the glorious right to give you our money ! Purchasing here should be easy and troublefree, not an epic struggle !
Oh, and stop trying to mimic Steam... If we were wanting to purchase on Steam according to their brilliant layout, we would already be purchasing there, DRM or not... But i'm confident in GOG that you would finally one day come up with a final evoluted form of Web UI that will make our time here so troublesome that it will outweight the mere benefit of having games that are DRM free (if such "key feature" of yours had not disappeared in between)

TL;DR: No, change for the sake of change or to impose an arbitrary vision of "what is the best user experience for you" while treating your customers as clueless and undecided children of yours as a goodthinking parent is NOT afaic a healthy way of treating your customers. Any web ui/layout change should go towards more customer-friendly ease of use, 1st glance information gathering and painless browsing with no troublesome or timewasting chore-like feeling; not cattering to mobile platform browsing (i mean... dudes... you are selling PC games ! We have displays way bigger than 7" screens thank you)
But as said in the beginning of the message, i hear the galoping rumble of the horde of toxic fanboys and hate bandwagon...
high rated
fronzelneekburm: Ugh, another complete and utter design failure: replacing the the various colored discount boxes with a single generic purple discount box. Some designer (or marketing guy) said "Hey, we're stupid for color coding our discounts! People can tell if they're getting a good deal just by looking at the color! That's too convenient, so let's get rid of that!"
Carradice: Another part of a reform marked by how it goes against customer convenience.

Added: Did you notice that the compromise with GOGs former values and rifgts of the customers has disappeared from the frontpage?
Assuming for a minute that they aren't as incompetent as everyone here claims, this looks like the IKEA approach:
The longer you make customers search for what they were actually looking for, the more stuff they might pick up along the way (or leave entirely, but they have to be trapped in a physical maze to prevent that).
There are some good additions to the UI, which I've waited a long time for, but it seems users' reviews have become one big block of text, making them unreadable.
high rated
Carradice: Another part of a reform marked by how it goes against customer convenience.

Klumpen0815: Assuming for a minute that they aren't as incompetent as everyone here claims, this looks like the IKEA approach:
The longer you make customers search for what they were actually looking for, the more stuff they might pick up along the way (or leave entirely, but they have to be trapped in a physical maze to prevent that).
well, this failproof logic won't work with people who get so pissed off wasting their time here for nothing but aimlessly seeking what they are looking for that they will just come less and less often here to buy at all...

Waisting my time, turning my games shopping into something on par with the most tedious housechore (or maybe worse than those) and treating me as a kid is NOT the right way to get me hooked as a customer. I'm just trying to get a game to play with (and i already lack time for that), i'm not going on a quest to chase and slay a dragon, i'm not St Georges !

The time wasted here trying to shop despite the horrible and unpractical design is time lost for playing what we will purchase there...

Soon, in maybe one or two more "website improvement overhaul", we would reach the point it outweight the mere benefit of having drm free games...
chlop: There are some good additions to the UI, which I've waited a long time for, but it seems users' reviews have become one big block of text, making them unreadable.
that's the trade off here: one convenient feature, but at the price of making it useless to use ! :)

Enjoy the GOG's experience, buddy

Oh and another thing i obviously had been DYING for to see here: "famous youtuber curation and advices" on what i should like and buy... (in case you wonder, it was sarcasm... but it was maybe too subtle for some to spot)
I mean, i may had been gaming for longer time than those famous folks' lifespan already, so i may have now a rather clear view of what are my tastes and what can appeal to me :)

So sure, some people may like and use/need the feature: if so, make it togglable on/off for people who want or not want it, and makes it on by default...
Post edited October 05, 2018 by Djaron
RonJeremy92: what happened to the gogmix games lists that users were able to create? i used to see them at the right side of the store page of whatever game i had clicked on. i loved that stuff.
You'll find this discussed various places, but basically GOGMixes had been broken since August and at least two people reported getting replies from support that they were abandoned (one saying they were told the people who originally worked on them are no longer at GOG and it'll be too difficult to figure out how to work with that code again! *baffled*), and now it was officially confirmed they were dropped as a site feature (though if you have the link they're still accessible for now, just frozen in time). A blue did mention some hope of regaining the functionality at some point, but seemed to me to refer to the new curated collections being opened to users too, and as far as I can see those just redirect to a search output in catalog, no place for comments, ratings or custom sorting.
Djaron: (hey, a GREAT idea for you to "improve user experience" even further in the brickwalled/darkpit destination you seem to be willing to drive to: while you are at it, directly make the trailer to autolaunch and play each time you visit the game page, and of course, make it a behavior not possible to turn off or set in personal preferences of course, Proud GOG way all along !)
Uh, that's what they did at first...
Post edited October 05, 2018 by Cavalary