It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

elcook: ...As for auto-play, I mentioned that this won't be changed, because currently we're not working on such change. ...
I wonder what prevents you from working on such a change? This formulation is a bit unsatisfying because it doesn't say much.

If I understand you right it means that now sometimes the videos will auto-play and sometimes there won't be videos but never there will be video that do not auto-play. I also guess that many people here will still not be too happy about it. I suggest to reconsider working on such a change.
elcook: First, want to let you know, if you haven't seen it yet, the list view in the catalog is back. We're just adding some polishing to this option, and fixing the fact that after reload the view gets back to grid view, but other than that you can now browse all games as a list - no autoplay videos, and titles are visible without hovering over tiles.
Nice to hear that something is happening! Also some other issue (gap in last row with tile view) seems to be fixed.
elcook: When it comes to GOGMixes, and especially the one you're mentioning here, I think the revamped reviews could serve as a good place to inform other users if a game lacks a patch/update/feature.
I think the best way to discuss patches and compatibility is in the game forums, so maybe you could set a link to game forum on every game page. So the forums become more easy to find and less deserted and users get more answers if they search for help.
surfersurfer: I think the best way to discuss patches and compatibility is in the game forums, so maybe you could set a link to game forum on every game page. So the forums become more easy to find and less deserted and users get more answers if they search for help.
I agree with this.

But I'd also say perhaps when you click on forum, move (or remove) the community wish list. But add a Games you own section either below it or above it. And just as big and able to show more. As the current game spec forums shows all games, and not everyone will go to the game page when they own a game already.
high rated
elcook: ...As for auto-play, I mentioned that this won't be changed, because currently we're not working on such change. ...
Trilarion: I wonder what prevents you from working on such a change? This formulation is a bit unsatisfying because it doesn't say much.
One word: incompetence!
Two words: pure incompetence!
What else prevents GOG from creating a switch „autoplay=on/off“? Any amateur html programmer can do such a thing.

Anyway, I think this „charm offensive“ (is this a term used in english language?) has to do with the last sales not doing so good. Why wait 2 months and hope for things to go by and then start a conversation? I hope everyone who is not happy with the GOG page boycots GOG until they deliver!
Post edited December 12, 2018 by john_hatcher
high rated
I may be cynical, but this seems like "please buy lots in our Christmas sale" kind of damage control. In fact it looks to me that they waited for this to blow over but it didn't. So now it's damage control time.

Oh and these look like small changes to the site but nothing critical (stupid tiny autoplay videos). this does not bode well...
high rated
Trilarion: I wonder what prevents you from working on such a change? This formulation is a bit unsatisfying because it doesn't say much.
john_hatcher: One word: incompetence!
What else prevents GOG from creating a switch „autoplay=on/off“? Any amateur html programmer can do such a thing.
Agreed.

GOG say "This place was was made for gamers so make yourself at home." Its not If it was GOG would actually listen to what people are saying rather than saying the 'we will look into it.' (Fun fact: thats code for giving hope but nothing happens. So basically no.)

Also I feel this, but I know will prob get people replying saying how wrong I am, but their whole IE11 thing. Is that not a form of DRM? As there will be people who still only use and have only IE11 installed (and whilst I don't use it it is still supported by Microsoft and is included on Windows 10. Also the net hasn't globally dropped it yet.)

So for those people that only use that and don't have FF or Chome or anything else installed are GOG not breaking their own DRM rules, requiring users to install a certain browser to use their site?
high rated
Sadly I went past like or disliking.

From various purchases a week I m now 0 purchases in two/three months.

The design and attitude of GOG, as a business, in an act of wisdom, inspired me to not spend any money here.

Is also obvious that main releases got much less sales by the really slim, if any, amount of reviews...
Post edited December 12, 2018 by OldOldGamer
john_hatcher: One word: incompetence!
Pond86: Agreed.

GOG say "This place was was made for gamers so make yourself at home." Its not If it was GOG would actually listen to what people are saying rather than saying the 'we will look into it.' (Fun fact: thats code for giving hope but nothing happens. So basically no.)

Also I feel this, but I know will prob get people replying saying how wrong I am, but their whole IE11 thing. Is that not a form of DRM? As there will be people who still only use and have only IE11 installed (and whilst I don't use it it is still supported by Microsoft and is included on Windows 10. Also the net hasn't globally dropped it yet.)

So for those people that only use that and don't have FF or Chome or anything else installed are GOG not breaking their own DRM rules, requiring users to install a certain browser to use their site?
I would not go so far as to call it drm, but I get the idea behind your argument.
Besides, what prvented GOG from being open up front like „we are creating a new webpage and our internal tests (ok, this would be a lie, because GOG never tests anything) have shown that IE11 is out and we decided because of reasons a, b and c to not change that.“ From my point of view that would be much better way to be open as they always promised to be , but are not anymore.
Do not buy anything until they deliver what you, the customers want. Vote with your wallet.
high rated
john_hatcher: I would not go so far as to call it drm, but I get the idea behind your argument.
Besides, what prvented GOG from being open up front like „we are creating a new webpage and our internal tests (ok, this would be a lie, because GOG never tests anything) have shown that IE11 is out and we decided because of reasons a, b and c to not change that.“ From my point of view that would be much better way to be open as they always promised to be , but are not anymore.
Do not buy anything until they deliver what you, the customers want. Vote with your wallet.
DRM is how I see it. But I get that people might not see it as that, but at least your getting my point.

Nothing stopped them. GOG say yeah we are doing the whole F DRM thing then you need certain browsers to use their site. You may well just use Galaxy or Steam tbh.

As I said IE11 might well be used by little, but every other store supports it, MS still support it, its just GOG being their usual anti-customer self in my eyes. People have been saying that Epic might cause the end of GOG, its these sort of anti-customer decisions (the Epic store works under IE11, and they don't have such a thing for auto playing videos either), that will cause GOG to go under.
If you guys don't like the autoplaying videos, one thing to do in the meantime is to use the "noScript" add-on and block ytimg, then all you see is the images scrolling while hovering over the game, that's pretty tolerable and less annoying me thinks
Post edited December 13, 2018 by X-com
high rated
X-com: If you guys don't like the autoplaying videos, one thing to do in the meantime is to use the "noScript" add-on and block ytimg, then all you see is the images scrolling while hovering over the game, that's pretty tolerable and less annoying me thinks
While that is true, and some of us have resorted to blocking elements in websites (scripts etc) for functionality / preference reasons this doesn't excuse GOG designing the sites like this. If we visit a restaurant, should we expect to bring our own steak knives because the business is only offering sporks to cut the steak?
high rated
I stopped launching Galaxy because they removed the option for X closes the app (it just minimises into tray now). Over a year and a half ago, Destro said it was a bug and implied that it would be fixed.

Now that GOG's response to feedback on autoplaying videos on the store front was a clear cut "no, we're keeping those," it is clear that it wasn't a bug but quite a deliberate attempt at making sure that closing Galaxy was more of a hassle than it should be.

So I guess, I will now stop visiting the website as well unless I really have to. The good old "Good Old Games" is irrevocably gone, and GOG is taking steps to ensure that it is positioning itself in direct opposition to its customers. They're all too happy to deliberately take a direction where they claw into the customers' resources and squander them with stuff like autoplaying videos on hover that they full well know everyone hates.

I've had it with companies running everything to the ground at the expense of the customer and then hiring a poor dude to write "we're listening" texts once every 6 months.

"Improved discoverability" my ass.
Any plan to let us have more than 250 friends added?
In my mind, the only reason they would act this way, with crap store front and poor customers interaction, is if GOG is experiencing a huge boost in sales.

But every indicator seems to point to a dying business, so I really can't understand what is going on behind the curtain.

The only other possibility is the complete lack of programming talents (but management really needs on overhaul too...), due to engineers leaving.
Why they are leaving: lack of money, poor treatment or disagreement with management?
OldOldGamer: The only other possibility is the complete lack of programming talents (but management really needs on overhaul too...), due to engineers leaving.
Why they are leaving: lack of money, poor treatment or disagreement with management?
What I can not realize is, why GOG do not just revert to their old homepage?
No matter what problems they encountered, revert it is cheap and bug free (except years old bugs that already in the old homepage).

In fact, GOG still highly rely on their old framework. Revert it basically cost nothing.