Hmm...one other thing, in the instance of this type of game - You can't just drop in and drop out. For multi-player to work you have to find others who will be willing to dedicate their time to an entire session.
This is a turned-based game where you're moving pieces around on a board.
The games that I go online with, I do so because I can plug in and out whenever I want without ruining the whole game for other players (like dropping in and out of an Unreal Domination match).
This is more like trying to set up a Pen N Paper traditional game where you're really going to have to find some pretty dedicated players who won't get bored and flake out thirty minutes into the game.
And that, in itself, is going to limit the user base for this game tremendously.
So pick a multiplayer game that doesn't take 8 hours to finish? Geez, I swear all these "I hate multiplayer rants" I've been hearing lately make the forum sound like a bunch of geezers screaming "Get off my lawn!" only their lawn is the whole fucking town.
1) You can find a single player game to play, probably 100s of them.
2) There's a fuck-ton of multiplayer game types as choices, some of them with matches or co-op levels that last under 10 minutes.
3) Co-op is actually fun most of the time. I swear with all the bitching people do you'd think no one could ever find a multiplayer game with a decent human being in it. I've played on XBL, if I can find randoms that are decent in XBL then what the hell is your problem?
4) Not all multiplayer games "die". Some do, some of any kind of game doesn't make it (some single player games never even get patched to a playable state). UT2004 still has players and still has a community. Fucking Quake 2 probably still has players. If you picked a shitty game that no one bought *cough*Section 8*cough*, yeah, everyone realized it's not as fun as Quake 2 and are playing Q2 instead. Get the fuck over it.
5) If you put in as much effort finding people to play online with as you do bitching about online existing you'd probably have a decent group of folks to play multiplayer with, yes, even if you want to pick the obtuse, takes for fucking ever to finish, turn based game. Seriously, how hard is it? I'll even help out, Geezer Gamers. You're probably going to have to act like less of a stick in the mud if you want consistent people to play with, though, even among the "geezers".
6) People bitch EPICLY about developers taking time away from work on the single player portion of games to work on multiplayer. Somehow that's "BAD", but when a developer decides the opposite, that they've made on online game and they're going to polish it like crazy, somehow that's "BAD" too. WTF!? You're basically asking everyone to work on just stuff "you" like. Guess what? There's already a fuckton of stuff that you like. Even new stuff.
And you got both barrels because you keep posting this shit. Good, we get it, you're cranky and you hate multiplayer, be it co-op or MMOs or whatever else you post about tomorrow or the next day. Maybe confine the subject to 1 post a week instead of 1 per day (or every other day)?