It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
high rated
Core values my butt.
high rated
jamyskis: So what's next? Adding DRM because "the decision on DRM is in our partners' hands"?

Is there anyone in PC gaming nowadays with anything resembling an ounce of backbone?

Also, quoting The Witcher 2 is a little disingenuous, because that was not a strategic choice, but rather a court-enforced choice between either pulling it from GOG or applying regional pricing due to a botched agreement with Namco Bandai.

I get the feeling that the classic releases are also going to be bumped up in price in the months to come, especially where EA, Activision and Ubisoft are concerned.
When I read the GOG announcement above I thought regional pricing kind of sucked considering they are opposed to it. Having said that though, I have to ask myself what is more important:

1) Having more DRM-free games on GOG.com at any price whatsoever whether it varies regionally or not.

or

2) Having less DRM-free games on GOG and having to go buy them on Steam DRM-encumbered instead *and* with regional pricing anyway.

Most games are likely to still be globally priced I imagine, but given the choice between buying a game on Steam which is DRM-encumbered and regionally priced, or buying a game on GOG which is DRM-free and regionally priced, I'll take the latter over the former all else being equal. DRM-free is just flat out more important.

As for the regional pricing, I don't think it really matters that much in the end. When I look at the price of a game, the numbers it shows me are either perceived by me as being worth the value of the game to me personally or not. If it is, I'll buy it, if not I wont. If someone else can buy it even cheaper than what I'd consider a fair price, good for them. If I don't consider the price I'm offered fair, I just wont buy it. Another option is for someone who gets a better regional price to buy the game for someone who gets a worse price and code swap (unless something is done to prevent that too). Since the games are DRM-free though, nothing could be done to enforce that on the software side of things without adding DRM, and GOG isn't going to go down that road really or the entire point of their business model goes out the window and they lose the customer base because of it. They know that so I don't think they'd ever do that personally.

I just want more DRM-free games and I'd like to get them on the game's release day personally rather than having to wait for 6-24 months or more for whatever the reasons might be. I went ahead and bought Trine 2 on Steam because it was $1 or so during December and I figured if it was ever coming to GOG it'd be here already. A few weeks later Trine 2 came to GOG. Argh! Why wasn't it here from day 1? I have no idea and don't expect anyone to be able to tell me the actual official reason either. If there's anything GOG could have done to bring the game or any other game here sooner and DRM-free which is a reasonable compromise on other matters that does not compromise the stance on DRM-free I think they should consider these things.

All that matters with regard to pricing really is what price one sees and whether they think that is a good price for the value the game provides. Whether or not someone else pays more or less might be annoying to know, but it's irrelevant if the game is a good price without knowing what others pay. Of course due to the forums, I'm sure pricing differences wont be a mystery for anyone who is curious enough.
BreOl72: Edit:
And as I can see, the first German (of course, who else?) already stated, that he will go to buy on Steam, if there will ever be DRM here on GOG - because Steam is cheaper...so much to that.

It all boils down to the money - not the "great community", not the "great customer servive"...
I'm not here for "great community" (have a real life with good friends, you know) but for "DRM-free" and "Uncensored" games. We can talk about prices, but if I have to pay German prices, than I want full German language support as well of course.
EckoShy: All things considered, this seems like good news to me.

Especially if one of those games is Wasteland 2. :D
I really hope it's not. We've known for quite some time that Wasteland 2 is coming here. The same goes for The Witcher 3, Age of Wonders 3, Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin

I really want those three games to be something we DIDN'T know is coming to GOG.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Nergal01
HGiles: Wait, limited DRM? This is the first time I've heard of that.
Bambusek: Planetary Annihilation will come with cd key that you need to activate in order to play online. But I don't understand why make a fuss about it as there are already games here with such system (Unepic or Wargame: EE)
Yeah, that's not a big deal.

I backed PA but when it turned out I had to install their own system I didn't bother downloading. Wonder if they'll let me get a GOG key when it comes out here.
high rated
Sufyan: Some of the things some spoilt GOGers say are just shameful. Everyone, hear about the newest first world "problem", Cheap old games being sold in the same online store as full priced new games!

You're like siblings who protest loudly when you sit in the front seat, not because they are jealous or want it for themselves, but because they want you to sit miserably next to them in the back seat.
What does that have to do with anything? First world problems are just a condescending strawman argument to make. Yes, there are people starving in Africa, but it doesn't make this any less of an issue.

When I was a child I broke both bones in my left wrist. The fact that somewhere out there was a child in a full body cast, didn't make it any less of a PITA or in any way shape or form make it easier for me. I still had to wrap the thing in plastic when it rained.
BreOl72: snip
Wurzelkraft: You do realize that you will actually pay more on GOG then because PayPal takes fees for currency conversion, do you? Buying on GG, Steam, GMG and others I don't have that and therefore it is not the same price.
That's indeed a valid point, I never thought about that.
spindown: "In GOG.com's second commercial leading up to our announcement on Tuesday, 27 March 2012, we see the embodiment of another one of our core values."

Core values are negotiable, I guess.
So does this mean we have a core breach?
EckoShy: All things considered, this seems like good news to me.

Especially if one of those games is Wasteland 2. :D
Nergal01: I really hope it's not. We've known for quite some time that Wasteland 2 is coming here.

I really want those three games to be something we DIDN'T know is coming to GOG. That includes The Witcher 3, Age of Wonders 3, Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin
Its probably Risen 1 and 2 those are supposed to show up here soon.
vicklemos: not trying to be selfish, but I'm happy to agree!
lotsa potential here and there, huh pal?
Novotnus: What about third world countries within EU? :)
You are welcome to visit any time you like and FEEL what a third world country is like.
spindown: "In GOG.com's second commercial leading up to our announcement on Tuesday, 27 March 2012, we see the embodiment of another one of our core values."

Core values are negotiable, I guess.
IAmSinistar: So does this mean we have a core breach?
To the escape pods!
IAmSinistar: So does this mean we have a core breach?
spindown: To the escape pods!
Sounds like the queue has already begun.

And damned if I'm letting you use the transporters on me. Not having my atoms scattered all over creation...
GabiMoro: snip
8. What about VAT / sales tax?
All the prices shown on our page are inclusive of value added tax (VAT) and sales tax. So it's always the exact order total visible at checkout - no additional costs!
vicklemos: not trying to be selfish, but I'm happy to agree!
lotsa potential here and there, huh pal?
Novotnus: What about third world countries within EU? :)
:)
I didn't know Moldova was an EU country!
Kiddin', Moldovans! :P
skeletonbow: When I read the GOG announcement above I thought regional pricing kind of sucked considering they are opposed to it. Having said that though, I have to ask myself what is more important:

1) Having more DRM-free games on GOG.com at any price whatsoever whether it varies regionally or not.

or

2) Having less DRM-free games on GOG and having to go buy them on Steam DRM-encumbered instead *and* with regional pricing anyway.

Most games are likely to still be globally priced I imagine, but given the choice between buying a game on Steam which is DRM-encumbered and regionally priced, or buying a game on GOG which is DRM-free and regionally priced, I'll take the latter over the former all else being equal. DRM-free is just flat out more important.

As for the regional pricing, I don't think it really matters that much in the end. When I look at the price of a game, the numbers it shows me are either perceived by me as being worth the value of the game to me personally or not. If it is, I'll buy it, if not I wont. If someone else can buy it even cheaper than what I'd consider a fair price, good for them. If I don't consider the price I'm offered fair, I just wont buy it. Another option is for someone who gets a better regional price to buy the game for someone who gets a worse price and code swap (unless something is done to prevent that too). Since the games are DRM-free though, nothing could be done to enforce that on the software side of things without adding DRM, and GOG isn't going to go down that road really or the entire point of their business model goes out the window and they lose the customer base because of it. They know that so I don't think they'd ever do that personally.

I just want more DRM-free games and I'd like to get them on the game's release day personally rather than having to wait for 6-24 months or more for whatever the reasons might be. I went ahead and bought Trine 2 on Steam because it was $1 or so during December and I figured if it was ever coming to GOG it'd be here already. A few weeks later Trine 2 came to GOG. Argh! Why wasn't it here from day 1? I have no idea and don't expect anyone to be able to tell me the actual official reason either. If there's anything GOG could have done to bring the game or any other game here sooner and DRM-free which is a reasonable compromise on other matters that does not compromise the stance on DRM-free I think they should consider these things.

All that matters with regard to pricing really is what price one sees and whether they think that is a good price for the value the game provides. Whether or not someone else pays more or less might be annoying to know, but it's irrelevant if the game is a good price without knowing what others pay. Of course due to the forums, I'm sure pricing differences wont be a mystery for anyone who is curious enough.
Very well said.

I don't like the idea of regional pricing no, but, would I rather pay a little more for a newer game I can own or never have that choice at all? I can understand some trepidation but there's alot of severe knee-jerk reactions being thrown around this thread right now, and a worrying amount of comments that seem to show a far stronger interest in cheap games than DRM free ones.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by ReynardFox