It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Norodomo: I would like to see a new powerfull APU, i have a love for integrated graphics.
those are so weak
Norodomo: I would like to see a new powerfull APU, i have a love for integrated graphics.
Orkhepaj: those are so weak
They are, but the thing is they can run a lot of games(not the new triple A) but you can still play a lot, and maybe in the future they will get powerfull, can you imagine a APU able to run everything? at low energy and space cost? or laptops without have to using hybrid gpu(with suck's) but only one chip able to do almost everything.

It depends on the person of course, i preffer old games(older than 2016) or indie ones, maybe a MOBA.

For me it's works very well, but yes, if you want to play every new game that comes in a year, they're not enough.
low rated
Orkhepaj: those are so weak
Norodomo: They are, but the thing is they can run a lot of games(not the new triple A) but you can still play a lot, and maybe in the future they will get powerfull, can you imagine a APU able to run everything? at low energy and space cost? or laptops without have to using hybrid gpu(with suck's) but only one chip able to do almost everything.

It depends on the person of course, i preffer old games(older than 2016) or indie ones, maybe a MOBA.

For me it's works very well, but yes, if you want to play every new game that comes in a year, they're not enough.
Yes I can imagine it would be awesome ,but tech is not there , and looks like developers always want more pixels and rays like this ray tracing bs, so dedicated hardware probably needed for a long time.
I just like to play some MMO survival games with friends and those games are very demanding.
There aren't any released products, but AMD does have the tech to do 'proper' APUs via layering (CPU layer, memory layer, GPU layer) judging from their patents over the last few years.

It wouldn't be compatible with AM4 or the laptop version (FP6?), but I would not be surprised if AM5 is designed to accommodate them. In any case they'd be unlikely to get above mid range performance graphics wise, end of the day you can more easily cool and thus throw a lot more power at a dedicated card over an integrated one. They'd also likely have to use HBM, which is currently expensive.
I am planning on an Upgrade to replace my aging 4790K. The 4790k as served me well and it still a great CPU however 4c/8t is getting long in the tooth considering next gen consoles are around the corner. I am going to be upgrading to a 1600AF with 32GB of RAM and a b450 mobo (yeah I know that b550 is releasing in June but I don't want to deal with possible out of the box issues that the boards could have that need a few BIOS upgrades to fix which could take a while) I am keeping my GPU and PSU for the time being and then I will upgrade those at a later time. I just want to get into the door first.
Fender_178: I am planning on an Upgrade to replace my aging 4790K. The 4790k as served me well and it still a great CPU however 4c/8t is getting long in the tooth considering next gen consoles are around the corner. I am going to be upgrading to a 1600AF with 32GB of RAM and a b450 mobo (yeah I know that b550 is releasing in June but I don't want to deal with possible out of the box issues that the boards could have that need a few BIOS upgrades to fix which could take a while) I am keeping my GPU and PSU for the time being and then I will upgrade those at a later time. I just want to get into the door first.
Wait a little after B550 launch and you can get a cheap B450 or a B550 with updated bios.
Fender_178: I am planning on an Upgrade to replace my aging 4790K. The 4790k as served me well and it still a great CPU however 4c/8t is getting long in the tooth considering next gen consoles are around the corner. I am going to be upgrading to a 1600AF
It may not a big jump in performance to justify a complete upgrade (you have your reasons, though). If you look at 2700 is not much more expensive, or the 3600.
Or maybe wait for next platform, after the new gen consoles?
Fender_178: I am planning on an Upgrade to replace my aging 4790K. The 4790k as served me well and it still a great CPU however 4c/8t is getting long in the tooth considering next gen consoles are around the corner. I am going to be upgrading to a 1600AF with 32GB of RAM and a b450 mobo (yeah I know that b550 is releasing in June but I don't want to deal with possible out of the box issues that the boards could have that need a few BIOS upgrades to fix which could take a while) I am keeping my GPU and PSU for the time being and then I will upgrade those at a later time. I just want to get into the door first.
Keep the SSD advancements of the new consoles in mind when getting a mobo. You want one compatible with super fast SSD speeds.
Fender_178:
Why take a ~30% (if OC) hit in single core speed like that?!
Your 4790K is still good CPU, i would wait end of the year when 4th gen Ryzen comes out and buy something like 4600 and B550 (any initial issues will be fixed by then).
But also you can't go wrong if you take 1600 AF + B450 now, it's also nice combo.
are you sure about this? ( did we had this conversation somewhere in the past ? ) I mean your old cpu is still a 7 <--- and you are planning a 5 for your new build, i would at least try to keep it in the range of the 7

i went from a 7 to a xeon, big plus to a 5 ( 2600 ) reasonable ( and now aiming at the new 10th gen i9 )
not to mention the change from intel to amd
The problem with waiting is that if you would not wait you could use the better PC way earlier.
Maybe the new CPU worths the wait but it probably won't. Little extra speed for little extra money over current CPUs. And they always talk about new technologies to lure in buyers.
Orkhepaj: The problem with waiting is that if you would not wait you could use the better PC way earlier.
Maybe the new CPU worths the wait but it probably won't. Little extra speed for little extra money over current CPUs. And they always talk about new technologies to lure in buyers.
Well that much is true, i spend 10 quality years with the i7 920 ( and 2 gpu's ) spending around 700 euro's on cpu and board. I did not always linger on the forefront of tripple A gaming but i did follow games extensively. In the end it was Andromeda and Warhammer 2 that made me decide to get a new cpu, first a xeon and somewhat later the ryzen.
Point being is you can be more then happy with buying intels last 2 gen's ( 8 & 9 ) atm and be sure to have a lot of fun out of it.

While Ryzen did a lot of improvements between their zen and zen 2 cpu's, especially on the gaming plane, if you choose the right cpu it probably won't matter a lot. Don't forget most reviews and tests only mention the upper echelon gains while most perform exactly the same on vsync'd ( 60 hz that is ) systems

Still if you have the money and a release is almost near you are probably better served with getting the next gen version then the older ones
StingingVelvet: Keep the SSD advancements of the new consoles in mind when getting a mobo. You want one compatible with super fast SSD speeds.
Fender_178: I am planning on an Upgrade to replace my aging 4790K. The 4790k as served me well and it still a great CPU however 4c/8t is getting long in the tooth considering next gen consoles are around the corner. I am going to be upgrading to a 1600AF
Dark_art_: It may not a big jump in performance to justify a complete upgrade (you have your reasons, though). If you look at 2700 is not much more expensive, or the 3600.
Or maybe wait for next platform, after the new gen consoles?
PainOfSalvation: Your 4790K is still good CPU, i would wait end of the year when 4th gen Ryzen comes out and buy something like 4600 and B550 (any initial issues will be fixed by then).
But also you can't go wrong if you take 1600 AF + B450 now, it's also nice combo.
Radiance1979: are you sure about this? ( did we had this conversation somewhere in the past ? ) I mean your old cpu is still a 7 <--- and you are planning a 5 for your new build, i would at least try to keep it in the range of the 7

i went from a 7 to a xeon, big plus to a 5 ( 2600 ) reasonable ( and now aiming at the new 10th gen i9 )
not to mention the change from intel to amd
Thanks all for your advice. Also I will keep the Speedy SSDs in mind. I will eventually go that route. I am going to be getting a 3700X instead of the 1600 AF because it is the most logical choice because @ $300 bucks it is within the 4790K price range about 6 years ago.. Also I may consider a B550 mobo as well because of the speed of PCI-e Gen 4 with the m.2 NVME drives. Also from what I have been hearing from watching YouTube videos is that the difference in speed between Ryzen 3xxx seires chips to 4xxx series chips is around 10-15% IPC which the same increase that Zen2 got. I also forgot that B550 mobos were relased to OEMs earlier this year so they maybe soild out of the box.
Post edited May 02, 2020 by Fender_178
Fender_178: I also forgot that B550 mobos were relased to OEMs earlier this year...
Yes and no, they are 550s only in name = rebranded 450s :-(