It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Random_Coffee: Also, did anyone watch the CES press conference last night?
Themken: Yup! Looking forward to reading reviews on those new mobile processors. Competition in that space would be a new thing as far as I can remember as Intel always (?) has been better for laptops, notebooks and such.
As far as I've seen, nothing really exciting... Except maybe a laptop 8c/16t that somehow fit a 15W TDP? Can anyone spell throttle?
I'd love to have a tablet with that CPU, this is, if will not burn my hands...
Post edited January 08, 2020 by Dark_art_
Dark_art_: As far as I've seen, nothing really exciting... Except maybe a laptop 4c/8t that somehow fit a 15W TDP? Can anyone spell throttle?
How about 8C/16T 15W CPU? :p

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-4800u
Yeah, for consumers the only exciting thing from AMD's CES presentation were the laptop chips, and they were exciting enough. The 4800U has a pretty pedestrian base clock but the 45W H series equivalent's is a fair bit quicker- and probably equivalent to the CPU that will be in the consoles. There was nothing on Zen 3 nor on big Navi which would have been the other consumer drawcards, just on the 5600 graphics which is just defective 5700s. Wasn't 100% paying attention but I don't think there was anything on B550 either (and MSI's more or less flagship B450 board in the Tomahawk seems to have become a x570 for this gen, albeit there have been b450/ x470 variants of the same board before).

OTOH the Threadripper 3990X presentation was worthwhile even if you're not interested in workstation level chips because of the sheer brutality of the memes.
AMD relaunched the CPU race, and they don't seem to be slowing down. For the last 10 years you could still get away with playing all the games using a 5GHz overclocked Intel processor. But recently, I've been finding it hard to recommend CPU upgrades to my friends, since I know that one year later the next generation Ryzen will bring close to 20% IPC gains.

I think when they reach 5nm things will slow down again, but until then I'll have to endure my current build.
StingingVelvet: I had to do this with my 2070. Didn't realize cards had gotten that big! I was on Amazon looking for a new case and then was thinking "I bet I could get that HDD rack out." Sure enough a handful of popped rivets later, my card went right in.
Yup, this is a $40 case that I've had for 7 years already, and I have basically just given it new life! I think my rig will be sufficient for a long time now (Ryzen 1600 & Vega 56), and definitely enough for the big releases I'm looking forward to this year (Cyberpunk 2077, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2).
Dark_art_: As far as I've seen, nothing really exciting... Except maybe a laptop 4c/8t that somehow fit a 15W TDP? Can anyone spell throttle?
PainOfSalvation: How about 8C/16T 15W CPU? :p

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-4800u
That was what I mean, I'll edit my post.
Need more sleep XD
Random_Coffee: Yup, this is a $40 case that I've had for 7 years already, and I have basically just given it new life! I think my rig will be sufficient for a long time now (Ryzen 1600 & Vega 56), and definitely enough for the big releases I'm looking forward to this year (Cyberpunk 2077, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2).
Yep, as long as you're not shooting for high resolution or super ultra settings you'll be a-okay. I'm a little worried about late 2021 or so, once games designed from the ground up for the new consoles start coming out, but we'll see how it goes.

Witcher 3, while demanding, was well optimized. Hoping for the same with Cyberpunk.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15736/amd-ryzen-3-3300x-and-ryzen-3-3100-new-low-cost-quadcore-zen-2-processors-from-99

AMD is releasing in May two more 3rd gen processors:

Ryzen 3 3300X 4C/8T, 3.8 - 4.3GHz, 65W $120
Ryzen 3 1300 4C/8T 3.6 - 3.9GHz, 65W $99

Ryzen 3 3300X is especially interesting since its single core speed is faster than Ryzen 5 3600, in fact, it's very close to the speed of Ryzen 7 3700X which costs almost 3 times more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/g6cv20/ryzen_3_3300x_single_core_score/

In other news, B550 motherboards with PCIe 4.0 are finally coming out on June 16th, we should expect around 60 models. I hope they release Zen 2 APUs at the same time.
PainOfSalvation: Ryzen 3 3300X is especially interesting since its single core speed is faster than Ryzen 5 3600, in fact, it's very close to the speed of Ryzen 7 3700X which costs almost 3 times more.
"interesting" depends on what you're upgrading from. I have an i7 6700... so for me it's not interesting at all.
It definitely looks like good choice for a budget CPU if you still have a 2 core.
Post edited April 23, 2020 by teceem
PainOfSalvation: Ryzen 3 3300X is especially interesting since its single core speed is faster than Ryzen 5 3600, in fact, it's very close to the speed of Ryzen 7 3700X which costs almost 3 times more.
teceem: "interesting" depends on what you're upgrading from. I have an i7 6700... so for me it's not interesting at all.
It definitely looks like good choice for a budget CPU if you still have a 2 core.
True. I have 10-year old Athlon II X3 435 so you can imagine my possibilites. :p

There's also Ryzen 5 1600 AF which is basically Ryzen 5 2600 underclocked for 100€.

By the end of year we should expect 4th gen Ryzen with even better IPC improvement.
And 2020 is likely to be the last year of life for socket AM4.
Judicat0r: And 2020 is likely to be the last year of life for socket AM4.
I suspect not as there are presumably coming new APUs for it next year but for powerful processors, yes.
PainOfSalvation: True. I have 10-year old Athlon II X3 435 so you can imagine my possibilites. :p

There's also Ryzen 5 1600 AF which is basically Ryzen 5 2600 underclocked for 100€.
That's what I'm running at the moment, great value indeed. I run mine underclocked to 3GHz at 0.85v (yes, you read it right) all 6 cores stressed at under 80W at the wall...
If you want to overclock is easy to get 4.1-4.2GHz stable, at stock it runs 3.7 on all cores, so it's not far of a 2600... The cooler may need a upgrade if heavy loads are used with overclock.
Had a phenom II X4 955 recently (gone now) and the performance difference is dramatic, even web browsing, specially using a NVME SSD.
Only complains I have so far are motherboard related, performance is great but I tend to value quality engineering over RGB.

Not yet found anything that wont run good, only Playstation 2 emulator can use a little help from core affinity (runs good but more accurate emulation require a lot of single thread processing power).
And contrary to many peoples thinking, this is not AMD related. Can get 20-30% more fps on some games and much less stuter, by playing with core affinity on a Intel 4-core Atom device.

If Zen2 Apu's turn out to be good, I may change the 1600AF for a APU. Graphics performance will probably stay close to current gen, due RAM memory limits...
Dark_art_: RAM memory limits...
DS or 4+ banks over SS . Finding 8GB DS modules may be a bit hard now as the modern factories produce "too big" chips so you reach 8GB with memory only on the other side of the module (SS).

Integrated graphics needs speedy double channel RAM.
Judicat0r: And 2020 is likely to be the last year of life for socket AM4.
Themken: I suspect not as there are presumably coming new APUs for it next year but for powerful processors, yes.
You mean the next "G" CPUs?