It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Today I stumbled upon the game "Aliens vs. Predator" (The new game released in 2010, not the old game from 1999/2000) on a discount gaming site which showed the game on sale for $3.74 on Greenmangaming.com which includes a Steam key. My initial impression was that it looked awesome especially for the price and I never knew that they did a new version of the game in 2010. While doing research on the game to see if I really wanted to get it I discovered a discount code for it on a site called Dealzon.com which looks like a good site to get alerted to games going on sale. In the end, the game was $3.

If anyone is interested in the deal, here is the link to the coupon voucher for 20% off:
http://www.dealzon.com/deals/alien-vs-predator

and the link to the game on sale at Greenmangaming:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/en/pc/games/action/aliens-vs-predator

The game comes with a Steam key which is what I used, but it appears that they might have a manually downloadable version of it as well. Anyhow I thought it was a fantastic deal and had to pass it on. If anyone else picks it up let me know!
Post edited October 18, 2013 by mharris
I remember playing this game when I was like 14, when it first came out, scared the crap out of me. Just the constant "boo!" moments with aliens jumping out of every dark corner, it became exhausting.

EDIT: Oh, wrong game, I'm thinking of the one from 1999
Post edited October 18, 2013 by Crosmando
Crosmando: I remember playing this game when I was like 14, when it first came out, scared the crap out of me. Just the constant "boo!" moments with aliens jumping out of every dark corner, it became exhausting.

EDIT: Oh, wrong game, I'm thinking of the one from 1999
Yeah, this is a brand new game in 2010, not the original games although they were very fun when they came out too. The new game has very modern graphics and looks scary ass real. Watch the trailers on Steam, especially the second one under Watch All Trailers on the right. Wicked looking game. Hopefully it's scary as shit.

(I updated the first post to clarify it's the new game.)
Post edited October 18, 2013 by mharris
i really loved the multiplayer of this game, me and my friend would hunt each other, the bloody tension
Is the MP of AvP still active? After A:CM, I wonder if people went back to this...

EDIT: So, tried buying it, need to verify my email address. Go into my emails, realize I didn't get my free game from the Joysticks. Do that voting/ registering all over again. Apparently I still haven't voted. Is this some bullshit discrimination where it's "US & Canada only"? It doesn't say Australia is exluded, but the way these sites have been behaving says otherwise.
Post edited October 19, 2013 by FantasyNightmare
The marine campaign is pretty decent. Better than Colonial Marines by a mile.

The other two I played for about an hour each and didn't like.
FantasyNightmare: Is the MP of AvP still active? After A:CM, I wonder if people went back to this...

EDIT: So, tried buying it, need to verify my email address. Go into my emails, realize I didn't get my free game from the Joysticks. Do that voting/ registering all over again. Apparently I still haven't voted. Is this some bullshit discrimination where it's "US & Canada only"? It doesn't say Australia is exluded, but the way these sites have been behaving says otherwise.
I just went in the Multiplayer to check it out and I didn't join any games but a bunch popped up on the list so it works. Also it has LAN multiplayer as well but I didn't test that out as I presume it works and I only have one copy of the game anyway.

I did the Joystick awards game voting thing for the free game thing too and was told "Oops, you still haven't voted! After voting wait 24 hours and your free game should be available." or something like that. I haven't received any email from them for it yet though although I received an email thanking me for voting from the voting site. It's been well over 24 hours too.
I really wish SOMEONE would get the rights to AVP2 and its expansion - the best of the bunch IMO

"Is that a boot... I really hope it's a boot... Hey, it's a boot!"
Ok, so now apparently there are no Steam keys for the game, what?
FantasyNightmare: Ok, so now apparently there are no Steam keys for the game, what?
Should be in your GMG account under Games -> Steam, and also emailed to you in the receipt. That's how it was for me.
FantasyNightmare: Ok, so now apparently there are no Steam keys for the game, what?
mharris: Should be in your GMG account under Games -> Steam, and also emailed to you in the receipt. That's how it was for me.
Unfortunately it isn't there, on both accounts.
I've lodged a support ticket, but this is a bad first time using GMG
FantasyNightmare: Unfortunately it isn't there, on both accounts.
I've lodged a support ticket, but this is a bad first time using GMG
Yeah I've had a few quirks so far too. My first purchase was the AvP game and that went smooth.

My second was trying to do the Joystick Awards voting thing which still hasn't worked out. I did a support ticket to them for that and it turns out that you have to use the same email address on the voting site as you have registered with your greenman account. I give every website a different email address using mail aliases so that apparently broke it for me. I went back and changed the voting site email to my greenman email and am now waiting to see if it has any effect. They don't tell you this anywhere though so I'm sure others who use mail aliases or separate accounts for each website will hit the same problem. I'll see how things go tomorrow.

I had another screwup tonight and no idea what happened. I went to buy Dear Esther with a similar deal like the AvP game and after verifying my credit card and redirecting me back to greenman's final page it was waiting for results and timed out. It did not complete the transaction and did not put my game in my library, but it appeared to have completed the credit card transaction. I called my credit card company and they did not have the transaction on file so it appears it did not go through. So I went back in to do it all again and it showed I had it in my shopping basket still, I clicked on it to re-checkout and it told me I couldn't until I completed the transaction. Huh? How? It would not let me purchase any other games either. I contacted support but once I sent my email the shopping cart timeout expired and removed the item automatically. I went and did it all again and the second time the transaction went through ok. No idea what went wrong, but I didn't change anything on my end so it had to be either their website or something interfering with the credit card transaction. It could very well be a one off fluke though so I'm not going to beat them too hard for it unless it happens again.

Since then I've bought 2 more games individually using the same process with a voucher discount and they went through immediately with no problems. All games were Steam games and my keys showed up and worked.

They did however tell me via support that the game giveaway had an enormous response far greater than what they expected and it had overwhelmed their servers but that they would sort everything out over the next few days. As long as their support people fix everything then I'll be happy. Anyone can screw up unintentionally, but as long as they fix it in the end then they're good in my book. I've had problems with GOG in the past not unlike this also and GOG support is awesome and not only fixed things up very quickly for me each time, but several times now they've gifted me game codes for my inconvenience which wasn't expected or necessary. The last time my order killed their checkout software for buying more than 50 games at once - it had a bug and lopped off the games above 50. They apologized and gifted me the missing games (I had not been charged for them).

So I guess glitches can happen anywhere really... so long as a company fixes things and keeps the customer happy is all I care about in the end. ;o) Let us know how your problem gets resolved too!
mharris:
I'd guess since the Golden Joystick thing their traffic is far higher for one thing.

Also didnt realise there was another AVP game out - let me know how it is!
mharris:
Sachys: I'd guess since the Golden Joystick thing their traffic is far higher for one thing.

Also didnt realise there was another AVP game out - let me know how it is!
Yeah I didn't realize it was a new AvP game at first either, then once I saw the trailer it blew me away so I had to get it. ;o) So far the beginning of the game is in a sort of tutorial mode teaching you the ropes and is fairly linear but the graphics and ambience are excellent and last I played it I had just gotten to finally see some aliens and they are quite creepy indeed. I'll have to play it more and try out all 3 sides to get a really good idea of the game as a whole though, but the graphics are very good and the aliens creepy as hell. :)
mharris:
Sounds more along the lines of the Jaguar version (in terms of tension etc) than the last i remember - and far better than the ps2 predator "stealth" game(so bloody awful that!).
Cheers!