It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

oblidor: Thanks! Now the game works and somebody has a big smile :-)
vv221: Great, I hope she has loads of fun with this game ;)
After she started playing she complained that everything was moving very slow. It is like slow motion (1/2 speed). So I tested the game on my old laptop with worse CPU and GPU than hers, and there is runs perfectly fine.

Found the problem. After uninstalling xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and -nouveau and then reinstalling all the nvidia packages (seemed like nvidia-driver was missing) then it worked perfectly on her PC :-)

The day is saved :-D
Post edited April 03, 2022 by oblidor
Hello Adam, I totally appreciate your work but still I have one problem with it. All is working fine yet I share the PC with my son and we play games together, even though we have shared games folder that works well when another account wants to play game installed by different user we get this error:

wine: '/mnt/dane/GOG/Oblivion/prefix' is not owned by you
wineserver: /mnt/dane/GOG/Oblivion/prefix is not owned by you

Of course it is an example of Oblivion. Is there any solution for that?
alzen: Hello Adam, I totally appreciate your work but still I have one problem with it. All is working fine yet I share the PC with my son and we play games together, even though we have shared games folder that works well when another account wants to play game installed by different user we get this error:

wine: '/mnt/dane/GOG/Oblivion/prefix' is not owned by you
wineserver: /mnt/dane/GOG/Oblivion/prefix is not owned by you

Of course it is an example of Oblivion. Is there any solution for that?
The simplest way to manage this is usually to grant multiple users full access to the shared games directory via group permissions. Most Linux distros already come with an unassigned legacy group called "games" -- but I'll add the command here in case yours does not.

sudo groupadd games
sudo usermod -a -G games YOUR_USER_NAME
sudo usermod -a -G games YOUR_SONS_USER_NAME
sudo chown -R YOUR_USER_NAME:games /the/shared/games/dir/path
sudo chmod -R g+rw /the/shared/games/dir/path

The above commands:
• Create the "games" group
• Adds you to the "games" group (replace YOUR_USER_NAME with your user name :)
• Adds your son to the "games" group
• Recursively sets you as the owning user and "games" as the owning group of the shared games directory
• Recursively adds read/write permission to the shared games directory for all members of the "games" group

Depending on your intent and current file permissions, you may want to make that last command g+rwX (to grant full read, write, and execute permissions) -- though that shouldn't be necessary if you're running the games through Wine.

It's possible to update your group list in place for a given terminal session after adding yourself to a group using the sg command, but you're better off logging out and back in after updating the group information.
Post edited April 26, 2022 by xixas
xixas: Depending on your intent and current file permissions, you may want to make that last command g+rwx (to grant full read, write, and execute permissions)
That better should be "g+rwX" (capital X), otherwise you unnecessarily will give a lot of files execute permission.
eiii: That better should be "g+rwX" (capital X), otherwise you unnecessarily will give a lot of files execute permission.
Agreed and updated accordingly.

Note: Using a capital X only grants execute permission on files that already have execute permission set in another field (typically the user perms) and to all directories in the hierarchy when applied recursively.
Guys, thank you for your answers but I already did this only different way. I have recrusive ownership of group users belong to and right permissions but it does not help.

When I get back home will update you how I did it yet I remember I changed user, not group of prefix directory and it worked. Guess that is kind of a WINE thing here. From what I see WINE needs this dir to be owned by user running the program. Guess thst's just the way it works but maybe there is some way around it.

EDIT:
Basically I've set correct permissions via setfacl command. Yet as I said, it still only works for one user.
Post edited May 08, 2022 by alzen
clarry: EDIT: please try replace ref_gl.dll with this version: http://guu.fi/g/sof/ref_gl.dll (I doubt it helps, but it's worth a try)
Just spent hours trying to make the game work. And this dll fixed it. Thank you so much.
Is there a way to set these up to just use standard Lutris directories? I prefer to keep everything in one place for easy backup and consistent launching, and I prefer that Wine versions be available to other Lutris games, to avoid redundant copies of the same version.

To clarify, I want Wine versions to go to ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/ where Lutris keeps its Wine versions.

I want wineprefixes to go in the Games folder where Lutris puts them.

Icons belong in ~/.local/share/icons/128x128/apps/ if I am not mistaken.

I want all settings, save directories, and mod directories, things that would normally go in My Documents or AppData in a Windows install to reside in their standard locations within the wineprefix directory, not hidden in ~/.local/share/ or in a separate UserData directory. I know with some of these scripts I could try defining the location for UserData for each game, but it seems to make more sense to comment out or remove the code that changes the locations in the first place.
("Scattered around the wineprefix," as you put it, is exactly where I want them.)

I access these directories frequently to adjust and alter mod setups, use save editors, backup saves to cloud storage, etc. and directory structures vary from game to game. If I forget where something goes, it is much easier to just be able to lookup where it would be in a windows install and find the corresponding directory in the wineprefix than to try and hunt down the readme for the script the game was installed with. Having everything in the wineprefix directory also allows me to backup an entire installation with my saves intact, as opposed to forgetting that the saves are stored externally and thinking they are backed up when they aren't, potentially losing saves and time-consuming mod configurations. If I could even set up Lutris configuration files automatically at the end of the script that would be even better, but I can set them up manually if need be. How difficult is it likely to be for me to adapt these scripts to do this? And what made you choose to write them as standalone scripts rather than Lutris scripts?
Post edited July 24, 2022 by rawmilk905
Has anyone been able to get this method working on the Steamdeck?
Post edited August 23, 2022 by rheffner
Guys, I'd like to ask you if anyone is able to play Star Wars - Rebellion with wine? I use Lutris to change the resolution but without any success, and when I leave it on the original 640x480, all the ingame menus are misplaced out of the window of the game itself. I appreciate any hints to make it work.
montyx: Guys, I'd like to ask you if anyone is able to play Star Wars - Rebellion with wine? I use Lutris to change the resolution but without any success, and when I leave it on the original 640x480, all the ingame menus are misplaced out of the window of the game itself. I appreciate any hints to make it work.
I don't own the game, but you do not seem to be the only one facing the problem. Perhaps check GOG game forum (or ask there), or check Protondb or WineHQ? Good luck with that, I hope you'll find a way to solve it.
I'd like to put in a request for A Machine for Pigs. It has a Linux version, but apparently the easiest/only way to use mods is installing the Windows version.
high rated
Understandable that Adam stopped doing this with how GOG have developed for several years now (and maybe there were other reasons too, like lack of time), but I really miss these wrappers. Still have some that I use ofc, but it was awesome when he was active, added more games, updated the scripts and so on.
As a one-man-project it just couldn't have ended differently. A lot of effort (I'm really grateful for) and all these wrappers need a continuous maintenance...
Pangaea666: Understandable that Adam stopped doing this with how GOG have developed for several years now (and maybe there were other reasons too, like lack of time), but I really miss these wrappers. Still have some that I use ofc, but it was awesome when he was active, added more games, updated the scripts and so on.
Yeah, nobody can blame anyone for not putting energy in GOG's community anymore after how it manages to treat it worse every year for many years now.