It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
adaliabooks: So after reading this thread and posting in it I've realised something...

I'm done.

I keep telling myself that I'll get around to adding some new features and updating the script, that I'll sort out the issues that arose when GOG revamped the chat. But the truth is that update is probably never coming. I no longer have the time or the interest to maintain this further.

And that's a shame, because I've loved developing this script. It's the single biggest (and most complete) work of programming I've ever done, I've learned a lot through it. And I've enjoyed the joy it's given to others, providing the old covers and the manual sorting.

But that's not really enough any more. I visit GOG every day out of habit more than real interest. I don't use half the features of the script myself any more, I don't search the forums because there is no longer anything worth reading. I use Galaxy to manage most of my library because it's easier.

I'm not saying the script is dead completely, and I'm not saying that if something breaks I definitely won't fix it, but it's looking less and less likely that will be the case. I will continue to host the legacy urls and covers (and the wishlist data), but if anyone else wishes to fork the script and continue development I'll share the php code that covers that side of things. And I'll do my best to talk anyone who is interested through the ins and outs of the script itself if they want to continue it.

I'm also not saying that I'm leaving GOG or the forums, I'll certainly still be buying games here and probably still be reading and posting on the forums as much as I have been the last few months anyway (which is to say not very much), but I may disappear completely at some point too.

It's been a great few years, thanks for all your help and support.
And that is gonna be another very sad moment in GOGs history for me. Thank you adaliabooks for all the work you did for us and for always being there when needed or when we had some questions. I will never forget this. I am in the minority here with the opinion that I still think the forum is worth visiting but I also do understand those who think that it is not. It's undoubtly that the forum has several technical issues and imo tthe only reason they did not fix them is that the next big move will probably be a completely new forum ... at least that is my guess.

Regarding the content of the threads I read more and more negativity in the forums every day but I also still see enough fun in the forum - maybe it is not the same way it was back in the days but I still see enough good stuff that I consider to be worth my time. Then again I am a hopeless optimist and I like to be that way. :)
high rated
adaliabooks: ...
I'm done.

I keep telling myself that I'll get around to adding some new features and updating the script, that I'll sort out the issues that arose when GOG revamped the chat. But the truth is that update is probably never coming. I no longer have the time or the interest to maintain this further.
It's been a great few years, thanks for all your help and support.
I'm very sad to read this, but I guess there isn't anything that I can say to make you change your mind. So instead I say thank you very much for your fantastic script and for all the hard work you've done during the last few years!!! It really improved the forum and the whole functionality of the site a lot and I don't even wanna know how things would look without it.

I agree that the forum isn't as much fun as it used to be and that there is a lot of negativity now, but there are still several cool people and also some fun topics around. Hope it stays that way or even improves again when the new forum finally arrives (which will hopefully happen soon and not soon™).
Thanks for all the work you did with the script :-)
*still enjoying the legacy mode and manual sorting*
high rated
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

As I said, I may still come back and do some work at some point but it's looking less and less likely that I will and I thought it only fair to update people here that that was the case.

I hope one day GOG is a more fun place to be again, and if that happens I may spend more time here again and do some more work on the script, but right now I have too much else going on to have time to devote to this.
Johny.: I'll still keep this topic in my favorites. ;)

I remember I was amazed with amount of custom solutions community did when I started working @ GOG. I'm sure the community will stay active as long as GOG exists.
And just in case it wasn't clear, you guys are more than welcome to utilise any of my work yourselves, all I'd ask is a few free games if you did ;P
Post edited January 30, 2018 by adaliabooks
high rated
adaliabooks: So after reading this thread and posting in it I've realised something...

I'm done.

I keep telling myself that I'll get around to adding some new features and updating the script, that I'll sort out the issues that arose when GOG revamped the chat. But the truth is that update is probably never coming. I no longer have the time or the interest to maintain this further. [...]
I had a bad feeling things would end this way for a while now. Can't say I don't understand; it's hard to stay motivated with how things stand here for some time now, since you have little to no interest in most features for personal use.

So, I understand, and respect the way you feel and your decision, and will keep my fingers crossed that GOG won't break any of the still working AF features I mostly care about (looks at the library ones).

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication thus far, and especially for adding features you personally never had any interest in; all's very much appreciated, and has truly enhanced my experience on GOG.

I won't say I'll miss you, because you're rarely around for a good while now, so you're already missed. As are a number of people from the good old times; even our forum mafia community seems to have died, though I'm still hoping it's only hibernating, and that we may play together again in a future game.

Take care, be happy, and thanks again for everything.
high rated
HypersomniacLive: I won't say I'll miss you, because you're rarely around for a good while now, so you're already missed. As are a number of people from the good old times; even our forum mafia community seems to have died, though I'm still hoping it's only hibernating, and that we may play together again in a future game.

Take care, be happy, and thanks again for everything.
Thanks Hyper, I'll still be about and I'll still be checking the shop for stuff anyway so I'll get PMs and replies to threads when they come.

You too.
high rated
@adaliabooks: The new Sherlock Holmes game has a missing legacy art. Will it arrive later or are the legacy arts abandoned now?

(Not complaining of course just curious because if the latter would be the case I would switch back to normal mode since more and more white covers would appear in the future)
Post edited February 01, 2018 by MarkoH01
high rated
MarkoH01: @adaliabooks: The new Sherlock Holmes game has a missing legacy art. Will it arrive later or are the legacy arts abandoned now?

(Not complaining of course just curious because if the latter would be the case I would switch back to normal mode since more and more white covers would appear in the future)
Most of them should be fine. It was only ever the bundles and the odd IDs (ones with different ids in the library and the catalogue) that caused a problem.

I might throw together a passworded upload system for a few of you that I trust and then you can fix the IDs yourselves when they arise and upload new covers if they are needed. That shouldn't be more than a few lines of code and I'm sure I could find the time to do that.
high rated
MarkoH01: @adaliabooks: The new Sherlock Holmes game has a missing legacy art. Will it arrive later or are the legacy arts abandoned now?

adaliabooks: Most of them should be fine. It was only ever the bundles and the odd IDs (ones with different ids in the library and the catalogue) that caused a problem.

I might throw together a passworded upload system for a few of you that I trust and then you can fix the IDs yourselves when they arise and upload new covers if they are needed. That shouldn't be more than a few lines of code and I'm sure I could find the time to do that.
Sherlock Holmes has now arrived so that is o.k. But thank you that you are thinking about a way how to cover possible issues in future as well. Very much appreciated.
high rated
adaliabooks: It's been a great few years, thanks for all your help and support.
While I wasn't one to use your script (I didn't have much use for what it offered), I do commend you for the job well done on it... you for sure did a lot of things GOG should be doing themselves.
Johny.: I'm sure the community will stay active as long as GOG exists.
No offence, but I wouldn't count on it. If you guys don't start actually doing things to fix the bugs and to bring features we actually want to the site, the community will continue to die (even if people still buy from GOG).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the forum community is starting to die and people are becoming way less active around here... which I can't blame them. Somehow we are stuck with a crappy forum, while CD Projekt Red get's arguably much better payed for software. Not to mention some of the more questionable actions GOG has taken (ie bundled Galaxy installers) which has split the community.

Kind of says a lot that, that was your take away from Adaliabooks post... this script (while good) should never have needed to really exist.
Post edited February 02, 2018 by BKGaming
Johny.: I'm sure the community will stay active as long as GOG exists.
BKGaming: No offence, but I wouldn't count on it. If you guys don't start actually doing things to fix the bugs and to bring features we actually want to the site, the community will continue to die (even if people still buy from GOG).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the forum community is starting to die and people are becoming way less active around here... which I can't blame them. Somehow we are stuck with a crappy forum, while CD Projekt Red get's arguably much better payed for software. Not to mention some of the more questionable actions GOG has taken (ie bundled Galaxy installers) which has split the community.

Kind of says a lot that, that was your take away from Adaliabooks post... this script (while good) should never have needed to really exist.
This.
high rated
adaliabooks: Thanks Hyper, I'll still be about and I'll still be checking the shop for stuff anyway so I'll get PMs and replies to threads when they come.

You too.
Yes, I know, but I spend way less time here for quite some time now - I mostly check my favourite threads, and more often than not don't have much motivation to follow up on any discussions when I post in the odd thread here and there.

And after the latest hit my chat took, and how unhelpful GOG Support was, I'm less and less inclined to use it - GOG has it set up and treats it as a space for throw away messages; their attitude made me view and treat it the same way.

However, I might order a pizza!

BKGaming: [...] No offence, but I wouldn't count on it. If you guys don't start actually doing things to fix the bugs and to bring features we actually want to the site, the community will continue to die (even if people still buy from GOG).

Low priority is low priority!
Post edited February 02, 2018 by HypersomniacLive
high rated
HypersomniacLive: Low priority is low priority!
GOG might as well make that their company motto...
high rated
HypersomniacLive: However, I might order a pizza!
If you are ever in the area yours is on me my friend :)
high rated
BKGaming: GOG might as well make that their company motto...
No doubt it'd do wonders for their community, and their business.

As for Johny.'s take away from adaliabooks post, it's not just him; for as long as I can remember, GOG always has had this attitude - since the community will come up with fixes why bother? And I often wonder if, and how much, the community's willingness to improve people's experience here plays into all this "low priority" labelling...

adaliabooks: If you are ever in the area yours is on me my friend :)
I'll hold you to that, but alas, not likely to happen any time soon. Unless we partner up to expand your business. ;-)
Post edited February 02, 2018 by HypersomniacLive