It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

With the year almost over, it's time to once again sum up what cinema gave us in 2015. Without further ado, here are my "awards"

Best movie of the year: Mad Max: Fury Road

This one was obvious, wasn't it? This year there really wasn't much competition for this title, although Fury Road could esily have triuphed over a much stronger line-up. As I've said in the movies thread earlier this year It's probably one of the best action movies of all time (though it's not the genre defining movie that Road Warrior was for post-apocalypse). There is reall artistry to it, phenomenally well made. It's almost primal, and both insanly fun and very stark and sombre when it needs to be, emotionally genuine and all the more satysfying when there is, in the end, some kind of redemption. Fury Road has artistry to it. It's not just fun, it's impressive, engrossing and in it's own violent way beautifull. It's a great action movie, but it's also great cinema.

The biggest positive surprise: The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I wasn't even going to see it, but there was nothing else that weekend, and me and a friend of mine were in a mood to just go the cinema and watch whatever. Imagine our surprise, when it turned out to be one of the most fun movies of the year! In fact, I would easily recommend it over the new Mission Impossible and even Kingsman (not to mention the dismal Spectre). It's fun, it's clever and it's stylish. The lead actors deliver fantastic performances and are probably one of the best action movie duos since Lethal Weapon. The action is well shot and paced, the music is great, it's just a joy to watch. It's not a deep movie, it's not supposed to be. It's jsut a fun action movie done perfectly, with rare flare and just the right balance of all elements.

The biggest negative surprise: Crimson Peake

Oh, how I was looking forward to this one. I love del Toro's horrors. His big budget hollywood movies were always rather disappointing (except maybe Hellboy 2), but his spanish language horrors were simply beautiful and magical. Unfortunately, Crimson Peake, despite being a horror, falls in line with the director's other english language movies, and is just a weak, weak movie. Neither scary nor clever, sadly predictable and at times simply dull, it's a waste of everyones time and talent. The visuals are good, but on their own hardly enough, and even they lack the creative flare of something like Pan's Labyrinth. It's a mediocre horror/romance flick, not bad, but just so unremarkable as to be enitrely pointless.

Worst movie of the year: Transporter Refueled

Now here we had some real competition. The fact that Ridley Scott's Exodus would not even make it into the top 5 worst movies of this year speaks volumes. It was hard to choose the very worst one, but in the end even in things like Fantastic Four and Spectre I found some miniscule redemeeable qualities when compared to the latest Transporter. And that's regretable, because those movies would be much more fun to talk about. Transporter is just painfull. It's dull to the point of physically hurting. It's the most joyless, predictable, bland action movie I've seen in a long time, maybe ever. Everything about it is so boring and uninteresting as to almost become invisible. There is not one scene, character or line of dialogue to remember or care about. It literally sucks the joy out of you as you watch it. It's negative entertainment. It doesn't even make you mad, just sad and miserable. I can have fun with various bad movies, but this just wasted my time, and was one of the most miserable movie going experiences of my life. Fuck this film.
Friendly bump
Biggest surprise: Jurassic World

I was expecting a weak sequel, turned out to be a great sequel to Jurassic Park. I thought Chris Pratt's uneasy relationship with the raptors was funny.

Funnest time: Spectre

Great director Sam Mendes return with a double shot of retro bond nostalgia. I accept peoples issues with this, I just don't care. The bond girl was smokin.

Biggest disappointment: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Direction was tired. Mission Impossible girl was not smokin. Cruise looked old and didn't seem like Ethan Hunt. (Directors fault.) It had no personality, made the previous films seem like action masterpieces in comparison.

Movie I probably shouldn't have enjoyed as much as I did: Vacation

I couldn't resist the Griswald's return to Wallyworld especially with Ed Helms. Funny.
bad_fur_day1: Biggest disappointment: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Direction was tired. Mission Impossible girl was not smokin. Cruise looked old and didn't seem like Ethan Hunt. (Directors fault.) It had no personality, made the previous films seem like action masterpieces in comparison.
It definately felt like an inferior repeat of the previous movie. Not a terrible film, I mostly had fun with it, but I can't for the life of me figure why this is the one to be getting such wild praise, when it's definately a drop in quality for the series. And yeah, I don't know why the new girl seems to be such a hit with the audience she's apparently returning for the next movie. If anything she made me miss Hunt's wife. Whatever happened to her? The series seems to have just forgotten her.
Post edited January 01, 2016 by Breja
Oh come on guys, I know some of you actually do watch movies! Don't leave me hanging like that.
Post edited January 02, 2016 by Breja
Breja: Oh come on guys, I know some of you actually do watch movies!Don't leave me hanging like that.
I've unintentionally winded up watching over 50 Golden Raspberry Award winners. I've seen so many horrid movies, I could join the MST3K crew. Please don't bring up the memories.
Breja: Oh come on guys, I know some of you actually do watch movies!Don't leave me hanging like that.
zeogold: I've unintentionally winded up watching over 50 Golden Raspberry Award winners. I've seen so many horrid movies, I could join the MST3K crew. Please don't bring up the memories.
Talking about it helps :D Tell us what movies traumatised you in 2015!
I liked a lot of movies this last year, but I tell you the best piece of cinema I saw last year was The Revenant great camera work, great acting and sequences.
zeogold: I've unintentionally winded up watching over 50 Golden Raspberry Award winners. I've seen so many horrid movies, I could join the MST3K crew. Please don't bring up the memories.
Breja: Talking about it helps :D Tell us what movies traumatised you in 2015!
Beneath Loch Ness is the last one I was suckered into watching.
Why, oh why did I do that to myself...
It is hard to talk about the best movies of 2015 because I have not seen most of it :P
Movies what I watched in 2015 mostly came out in 2014.
Favorite movie of the year: Max Max Fury Road/Sicario

Biggest surprises of the year:The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Martian

The biggest negative surprises: Love 3D

Worst movie I seen in 2015:The Lazarus Effect
Crsldmc: I liked a lot of movies this last year, but I tell you the best piece of cinema I saw last year was The Revenant great camera work, great acting and sequences.
I didn't see it yet- it will be released in cinemas over here at the end of this month. I remember one of my friends was pretty hyped about it, so we'll probably go see it, but it'll have to be part of 2016 retrospective for me.
Mr.Caine: Biggest surprises of the year:The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Martian
Missing The Martian was probably my biggest movie-related mistake this year. But after all the shitty movies Scott delivered in recent years, including Exodus earlier this year, I just couldn't make myself buy that ticket. And Matt Damon's face staring at me from the posters wasn't helping. I'm really not a Damon fan. At all. But I guess I'll make it up when I see the DVD on store shelves.
Post edited January 02, 2016 by Breja
Maybe these:

Favorite movie of the year: Ex Machina

Biggest surprises of the year: Sicario

The biggest negative surprises: Chappie

Worst movie I seen in 2015: Chappie / San Andreas
Post edited January 03, 2016 by bela555
Crsldmc: I liked a lot of movies this last year, but I tell you the best piece of cinema I saw last year was The Revenant great camera work, great acting and sequences.
Breja: I didn't see it yet- it will be released in cinemas over here at the end of this month. I remember one of my friends was pretty hyped about it, so we'll probably go see it, but it'll have to be part of 2016 retrospective for me.
Mr.Caine: Biggest surprises of the year:The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Martian
Breja: Missing The Martian was probably my biggest movie-related mistake this year. But after all the shitty movies Scott delivered in recent years, including Exodus earlier this year, I just couldn't make myself buy that ticket. And Matt Damon's face staring at me from the posters wasn't helping. I'm really not a Damon fan. At all. But I guess I'll make it up when I see the DVD on store shelves.
Great movie, you'll like it!

Not a Damon fan too, so I haven't seen it yet, I'll force me through it some day.

Now HE LOVES Matt Damon!
Post edited January 02, 2016 by Crsldmc
I'll get back to you in a few years when I've seen some movies that came out in 2015. :P