It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It’s no surprise that we associate terms like winter blues with January. For many of us, this month is all about short days, cold weather outside, and the pressure of New Year’s resolutions looming over us. That’s why we’ve decided to show you some feel-good games that will help chase away those grey clouds.

"A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy", writes Jane McGonigal in one of her books. And come to think of that, it really is that simple.

Let’s take a look at a handful of games you can play and simply enjoy while watching the winter weather outside. Of course, each title we recommend comes with an explanation of why we think it’s a good choice for a relaxing game session.

Craft The World
What happens when you mix games like Dungeon Keeper, Terraria, and Dwarf Fortress? You get Craft The World, a unique strategy and sandbox title in which you can tame the uncharted lands by building dwarven strongholds with all the conveniences for its inhabitants. While destroying things in virtual worlds can be quite fun, nothing can beat the satisfaction of building something grand and useful.

Ori and the Blind Forest
This platform game reminds us of the grand stories we all heard as a child. Ori and the Blind Forest from Moon Studios is a tale about kindness and hope - those two bright lights that enable us to get through even the darkest times in our lives. The game’s narration includes only a few words, yet still manages to grab our hearts with beautiful visuals and dream-like music.

Braveland
A turn-based strategy title from Tortuga Games, Braveland is set in a rich fantasy realm. Unlike other war games, Braveland is presented to us in a form of cartoon art, which makes the whole conflict narrative seem less stressful, yet still very challenging. If you love the sweet taste of victory and that wonderful feeling when the whole battle plan comes together, Braveland should definitely be considered as one of your winter choices.

Stardew Valley
This game, made by Eric Baron (aka ConcernedApe), is a love letter to pixelated farming sims of yesteryear. In it, you manage your farm, grow crops, and even marry the love of your life - all in a colorful, pixelated art style that can even make a complete pessimist smile. There is something extremely satisfying about watching the effects of your hard work blossom and Stardew Valley nails the experience perfectly.

Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
A game that retells the classic tale of the famous English outlaw, Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood is an adventure strategy game which allows gamers to devise their own tactics during each mission - choosing between stealth and brute force. Why is this game so special? Let’s just quote Mel Brooks’ Robin Hood: Men in Tights here: "Because, unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent".

Overfall
At first sight the world you explore in Overfall seems to be pretty grim, even considering its carton visuals. This RPG strategy gives you plenty of encounters that often result in battles and conflicts in which sides are being picked and swords drawn. The tricky part of Overfall is that by putting ourselves in its hero shoes, we can see our own winter blues as much more optimistic.

Zombotron
Sometimes the best solution is the easiest one. In Zombotron, the protagonist Blaze Rush definitely doesn’t want to complicate things. Instead, he just reduces his enemies to atoms with a formidable arsenal of weapons in this relaxing side-scrolling shooter. Why do we think Zombotron is such a feel-good game? Well… kaboom!

Banished
There’s an old Chinese saying that states that in every crisis, there is an opportunity. That’s very true for our heroes in Banished, a strategy management game in which you must find an exiled group of people a new home among the wilderness. The title shows that with a decent amount of work and optimism, you can build something beautiful even while being in a dire situation.

Feeling better already? All of the games in this quick list are now available on GOG.COM. So, pull up your favorite blanket, pour yourself a cup of tea (or coffee!), and dive into your next grand adventure.
We don’t all associate January with winter blues.

It’s summer up in this bitch where I’m at.
low rated
I wish THQ would finally show the exact same type of kindness as is described in that blurb about Ori, and give Achievements to the GOG version of Ori, just like the Steam version has had for years.
Nice little list of recommendations. I love reading these fun articles.

I have one or two of these games, now might be the right time to play them.
htown1980: We don’t all associate January with winter blues.

It’s summer up in this bitch where I’m at.
I associate summer with heat stress and summer depression and winter's my favourite season, so I'd like to be with you Aussies in July.
GOG.com: So, pull up your favorite blanket
Hah.
Haha!

;P
Hmm, not much of Winter this year, meaning not as cold as usually...
Hello!
Besides the regional differences in seasons (the writer's assumption applies to the northern hemisphere only) the selection of "feel-good-games" is not particularly resonating with me.
Yes, Stardew Valley is a matching pick, but the others... I do disagree.

When thinking of "feel-good-games" I first think of peaceful, colorful or humorous games such as the Myst series or the cartoonish Lucasarts point-and-click adventures. (Honourable mentioning: Cats Quest 1 & 2)
Next comes to my mind games with relaxing gameplay, for instance, the Settlers/Cultures series, Flower, Abzu or the recently released A Short Hike, or with catchy "feel-good" background music, like VVVVVV.

Games of trial-and-error gameplay with high potential for frustration such as Robin Hood (and the likes) and Banished or games which depict depressive themes (Ori and the Blind Forest) do not fit for me in the category of "feel-good". If the sensation of accomplishment against seemingly unfair odds do count, why not go all in on games like Jump King, Super Hexagon, Viking and other borderline impossible platformers or bullet-hell shooters?

The chosen news image from Stardew Valley and the headline made me curious. The selection of games was disappointing to me.

Kind regards,
foxgog
Post edited January 21, 2020 by foxgog
Where the hell is >> Tangledeep << ?

Its seriosuly one of the best, relaxing, fun, atmospheric and entertaining game ive played in years. And setting & music is just pure asmr. Cant recommenf it enough. (10/10)

plus: great developer (constantly frequent updates, super responsive) and great community!

it has to be on the list!
Post edited January 21, 2020 by timesink
Banished is a feel-good game??? That's new to me. I always found it to be incredibly tense and frustrating because everyone eventually keeps dying.
GOG.com: So, pull up your favorite blanket
victorchopin: Hah.
Haha!

;P
What? We don't all live in 1 blanket maximum countries. ;D
January is the middle of summer. Who feels the winter gloom in the middle of summer?
htown1980: January is the middle of summer. Who feels the winter gloom in the middle of summer?
Most people live in the northern hemisphere and GOG is in said hemisphere(along with most buyers), so they tune their "seasonal sales" to that.....yeah, it sucks for the southern hemisphere but it's better than calling them sale#22938393..
high rated
foxgog: Hello!
Besides the regional differences in seasons (the writer's assumption applies to the northern hemisphere only) the selection of "feel-good-games" is not particularly resonating with me.
Yes, Stardew Valley is a matching pick, but the others... I do disagree.
I have to agree. Stardew Valley's a good pick here, but some of the others...
Even though I really enjoyed it, Banished is a depressing game.

It's not like they didn't notice they were going for a stretch here and there, though -- "The tricky part of Overfall is that by putting ourselves in its hero shoes, we can see our own winter blues as much more optimistic."

If we're going for "well it could be worse", Sunless Sea or Planescape: Torment ought to brighten your day right up ;)

But Flower and Abzu -- agreed, both good ones. (Wow, the post did not want to take the Flower link for some reason).

Some of my top picks:

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary - Well-written point and click for sci-fi buffs.
Blackwell series - Witty, well-done point and click as well -- humorous, but perhaps darker humor.
Legend of Heroes: Trails In the Sky - Upbeat JRPG.
TRI: Of Friendship and Madness - Feel-good puzzler.
Fract OSC - Also a feel good puzzlers, but I think GOG dropped this one.
Firewatch - Walking simulator for nature lovers, though there are some heavier adult topics.
Wing Commander: Privateer - Tongue-in-cheek space/trading.
Torchlight - If you must straight up kill things, a pretty vibrant dungeon crawler.
Tangledeep - Bright, turn-based dungeon crawler. Nice choice @timesink.
• Most of the tycoon games -- save for the hospital and human resource ones.

Lately I'd like to throw Astrox Imperium in here too (space/trading) but it's perhaps a little indifferent to be "feel-good".

Edit: Jane McGonigal's actually a favorite author of mine, as I've studied industry gamification for a number of years. But I'm not sure the selections here are the best use for her quotes. While she doesn't shy away from positive solo-gaming as a useful psychological tool, typically she trends more toward the value of gaming for social collaboration and advancement.
Post edited January 21, 2020 by xixas
P.s;

And add the all time classic 'Heroes of Might and Magic III' One of the best turn based games in fantasy settng. The community is stronger than ever and the Mods are super good (HDmod, ERA II, Horn of the Abyss which is an AAA mod, that classifies as an official Expansion quality wise)

This game is 14(?) years old and it provides still the same exitement as at day 1.

For mood: its bright and charming, very relaxing, stunning orchestra soudntrack. you definitely forget any dark gray day when your in the game, esp when monday is the best day in the week there :)
Post edited January 22, 2020 by timesink