It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned veteran – turn-based strategy games can be quite a challenge! Today, we’ve decided to give you a couple of hints on how to master this difficult, yet immensely satisfying game genre.

1) Be patient
Mahatma Gandhi once said that “To lose patience is to lose the battle.” Those words ring true in the case of turn-based strategy games. Mastering their rules takes time, and even after you feel comfortable, you still learn mostly by making mistakes on the field of battle. But that’s the beauty of this genre – you win thanks to discipline and patience. That’s why you shouldn’t be too harsh on yourself when starting missions over again in games like Panzer Corps 2.

2) Research
Sun Tzu was right when he wrote, “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.” While some beginner’s mistakes are unavoidable, many of them can be avoided if you take some time to study the game’s mechanics and the universe it’s set in. Studying historical events can be very useful in titles like Order of Battle: World War II, and besides – it’s always easier to swim in the pond you already know.

3) Pick your battles
Frederick the Great once wrote, “He who defends everything defends nothing.” The common mistake beginners make in turn-based strategies is trying to reach too many goals at once. Such an attitude usually stretches your forces too thin and brings catastrophe. Instead, try prioritizing your goals early in the game – this goes both for critical points on the map, as well as the direction you choose on the research tree in Imperialism 2: The Age of Exploration.

4) Fight with the sun behind your back
In Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith, Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi shouts, “It's over, Anakin! I have the high ground.” Unlike most RTS games, in turn-based strategies, the ground on which you choose to fight your battle usually has a HUGE effect on its outcome. So choose wisely – the trick is to force your enemy to fight on less favorable grounds during skirmishes like those we see in BATTLETECH.

5) Don’t get too self-protective
Napoleon Bonaparte once stated that “The logical end to the defensive strategy is surrender.” While playing safe and preserving your forces is a popular beginner’s choice, the sad truth is you have to get your hands dirty in order to win. You may want to wait for the enemy to cripple its forces on your defenses, but a powerful counterattack must take place soon after that! Time is of the essence in games such as Panzer General 2, every turn spent idly is a step closer to defeat.

6) … or too over-confident
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance" – those were the last words of General John Sedgwick during the battle of Spotsylvania Court House. Well, it turns out they could. Winning your first encounter with the enemy can be exhilarating, but you can’t let your guard down after a few turns. While hastily pursuing the enemy, you can easily fall into a trap or overstretch your forces. That’s why in games like Gary Grigsby's War in the East, the first thing you should do once you’re safe after breaching enemy lines is to rest or drink some coffee.

7) Embrace your fate
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness – that is life” – this wise quote from captain Jean-Luc Picard never gets old. Even the most meticulously planned maneuver can come to nothing due to a jinxed roll of the dice. The lesson here is not to get discouraged when a genie kills half of your dragons in Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Complete. Learning to deal with the unexpected and formulating new plans in a second is part of what makes turn-based strategies so much fun!

Do you agree with the above tips? Or maybe you have your own advice for other turn-based strategy buffs? Let us know in the comments section below, and remember – battles to come are as important as those already fought!
GOG.com: 7) Embrace your fate
Learning to deal with the unexpected and formulating new plans in a second is part of what makes turn-based strategies so much fun!
Should be in top 3. Also, role-playing(boils down to imposing meta game rules of some sort) could add tons of fun to a game.
8) Wait! Do not rush to push the "Next Turn" button because--CLICK!
wildapple2021: OK, interesting to read. Thanks.

Would be nice to see a comparisons with other game types, and their sales numbers, etc.
Or even, if you mentioned franchise, how it look for others like, I don't know, maybe the Doom series, Mario (Nintendo), Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Need for Speed, Pac-Man, Tetris etc.
i cant be bothered to make such a list myself
but offcourse something like the Call of duty series or any other popular multiplayer fps games have probably sold better.
I think the reason is you get faster gratification in multiplayer shooters and the social aspect.
Also, alot of young people in todays generation dont have the patience for something that can last several days.
Theres also the aspect of the more time you spend on videogames , the less time you have to spend time on other activities or earning money
and since the financial crisis, alot of people have shifted focus to activities that can earn them money
if they are able too and can offcourse.
Now with covid 17 it have shifted to people playing more games since they are forced to be home
but i have no clue what the numbers are for increased sales in the strategy genre as a result of this

but the numbers i presented is still nothing to sneeze of
2 millon copys sold for civ 6 by 2017 is a pretty god result even if its just a turn based strategy game
allthough a complex one at that.
Post edited March 03, 2021 by Lodium
I may not agree with them, but I like them.
Lodium: but the numbers i presented is still nothing to sneeze of
2 millon copys sold for civ 6 by 2017 is a pretty god result even if its just a turn based strategy game
allthough a complex one at that.
Yeah, you are right. Thanks for your message.

And yes, it is true, that the younger audiences have neither the patience nor the concentration to endure playing such games. The same can be said for reading books, watching movies... the answer will be something like: it is boring, too slow, where is the action? etc.
high rated
This thread was funded by Morgan Industries.
Learning to deal with the unexpected and formulating new plans in a second is part of what makes turn-based strategies so much fun!
i_ni: Should be in top 3. Also, role-playing(boils down to imposing meta game rules of some sort) could add tons of fun to a game.
Very true. It may change the experience completely.
yea lol, but all rules only apply for the easiest difficulty levels.... higher level all expect, rightfully of course that you know the difference between the paths and how to make the most of your resource yields .. not to mention the game specific quircks , such as homm games that also offer some kind of puzzle you need to crack, it does seem that for now it is impossible to implement a easy going human like a.i. that just wants to play while offering a nice challenge... these days it is either a push over which can be countered by some end game mechanic to spice at least that part of the game up or uber hardcore play that requires either the use of a manual or meticulously played hours
I like TBS games. But when they do not have an easy mode I'm lost. 7 tips surely are not enough to save me. :P
Plan.Plan.Plan.
Try to wing it, you will lose.
At the same time, you have to be ready to change your plan if circumstances require.
Just like in real life.
ConsulCaesar: I think the best one is another quote from Sun Tzu:

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

War is usually very expensive, disruptive and demanding in strategy games. As a general rule, you should only declare when you've already done the work to ensure your military superiority and that you're able to achieve victory as quick as possible.

The same goes for defensive wars. If you plan well enough, your attacker might have already lost before he even declares war on you.
U nless you are playing an out and out military strategy game.,of courae.
amok: 8) Play something fun instead
Some of us like games that challenge our minds, not our reflexes.
Post edited March 04, 2021 by dudalb
Patience and thoroughness, combined with efficiency and determination.

And get old and experienced.

When I was young I found it very difficult to win Civ 2, for example. Now I complete TBS games like Master of Orion (all species), Age of Wonders, HoMM and Civ on highest difficulty without breaking much sweat.
Incidentally my play style is very aggressive; expand as quickly as possible and do it to them before they can do it to you, and don't bother much with diplomacy. Bliztkrieg is surprisingly often a good strategy. Nearly all the HoMM 3 campaigns can be won this way, for example, at least the expansions.

But at the same time I now suck at FPS games. I used to play them on second highest difficulty, but now I was recently forced to play Serious Sam on "Easy". The weird thing is that this happened at the same time as I started exercising, lost 20 pounds and got in much better physical shape.
i_ni: Should be in top 3. Also, role-playing(boils down to imposing meta game rules of some sort) could add tons of fun to a game.
Eh, I really think "when all else fails, deal" should be last in a list like this. Otherwise it turns off the people looking for actual tips.

I agree with your comment on role playing. For me, enjoying this type of game depends on being able to play the way I want in the setting. It can be hard to figure out if you can improve while keeping your play style or if the game really requires you to do something different (I have this problem in Eador: Genesis, where I can manage the first several worlds ok but I'm not sure it is even possible with my play style to keep going, although I'm not all that great at strategy games so I'm sure I could do somewhat better at least). This is particularly frustrating when they are such long games to begin with. I think Alpha Centauri did unusually good at making different styles possible (in the base game, not Alien Crossfire) and also better than most at adding a decent story to the game.

Also, one of the best in my opinion (as not a huge fan of the genre) is the free open source game The Battle for Wesnoth.
Post edited March 04, 2021 by joveian
Like in chess: never take any action without a plan. Admittedly, it does not need to be very detailed, and intuition may play a role in it.
Lodium: The Xcom and the Civilization series
called and they
had the following to report...
i dont have sale figures for xcom
but for the first game its estimated that 2,000,000 .. 5,000,000 own the Game on Steam

Xcom
https://steamspy.com/app/200510
The first xcom called, and that ain't it.
https://www.gog.com/game/xcom_ufo_defense
Post edited March 04, 2021 by Kjelstad
Niche means a kind of nearly underground games with loyal fan bases that stand the test of time and genres, and selling much much less or practically nothing but continously during the years.

But the vast majority of strategy games that have been mentioned here are at throusands miles away from being niche. Today the strategy genre is not niche at all. Point and click genre would be more debable for the label niche. But Strategy? This genre is the second or third in profitability.
Post edited March 04, 2021 by Gudadantza