It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Throwing a link here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/introducing_gog_profiles_a393f/page87#p_b_1746

There is a new option in privacy settings to hide your profile from the public.
Post edited April 30, 2018 by Johny.
toxicTom: The GDPR is not new, it has been in effect for 2 years now. It's only the transition period (or "grace period" if you will) that's ending in May. So "it has been like that before" isn't true anyway. And even if it was, things don't become "legal by tradition". That two year grace period was in effect for the exact reason that companies could review their handling of customer data and make adjustments to make them legal again.
Yes. I didn't say that it was a sensible way. I was just grasping at straws to explain the hurry.

By the way, can someone test whether my profile is still visible? It should be non-existent by now.
Lifthrasil: By the way, can someone test whether my profile is still visible? It should be non-existent by now.
https://www.gog.com/u/Lifthrasil redirects to https://www.gog.com/404 as expected.

For all intents and purposes, your profile does not exist. (^_^)
Lifthrasil: By the way, can someone test whether my profile is still visible? It should be non-existent by now.
Just a 404 Error here.
Palestine:
I've got an OT question as it seems you are a user of an “obscure” (for a given value of obscure) shell: Do you use bash at all? Why did you switch to mksh? Do you only use it for scripts or as a login shell?
Palestine: ...
adaliabooks: Just a 404 Error here.
Great. Thanks for checking!
Johny.: Throwing a link here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/introducing_gog_profiles_a393f/page87#p_b_1746
There is a new option in privacy settings to hide your profile from the public.
Cool, thanks Johny.
Even if I can't see my own profile now O_o
phaolo: How can a company remain understaffed for 3+ years is beyond me.. O_o
Why they continue to avoid non-residents employees even with such a bad situation?
There is a lot of attrition in Poland as employment is fairly easy and people move up by changing companies. Even the videogame factor will not help GOG a lot (if you want to go passion you will go to CDPR itself, or Techland, or Astronauts, or maybe even Artifex Mundi (big in HOGs) and IT type people can make a lot of money in more business oriented areas.

They don't avoid non-residents AFAIK. In fact there are huge numbers of foreigners being hired all over Poland.

Lifthrasil: GOG's personnell/salary decisions might be just as good as their communication decisions. That is: as bad as they can get.
If I would make an educated guess I would say the weakness to lie in middle management. There's a generational gap in Poland where the people that would now be in middle layers of management don't exist as they were still educated under communism. The ones that had entrepreneurial or leadership skills managed to climb further up, and behind them there was not deep enough bench to support faster growth / professionalism.

tinyE: What about the tech sector there? Is it thriving? Yes I know it's a large country but maybe anyone who grows up in, say Warsaw, with a head for computers, figures they can find better opportunities elsewhere. ...
Bingo. IT is a super competitive area.

adaliabooks: I know it would put me off even considering applying for anything. Between potential language barriers and the perceived status of Poland in the West (I don't know about anyone else but my uneducated assumption of Poland is that it's still not far off being a third world country... that may be entirely incorrect but I imagine it's an image shared by many) it means the idea of relocation isn't particularly appealing.
Language barriers yes. Third world - not at all. Cost of living is incredibly low (relatively speaking), which many forget when looking at absolute compensation levels. Infrastructure and such is much improved and continues to improve in leaps and bounds - in Eastern Hungary I'd only say Czech and maybe Hungary are better. I would not put it at the level of Scandinavia, Germany, UK or France, but it's for sure equivalent already to Spain or Italy. In the time I've been here the differences are huge, and I did not see the wild west nineties...

As a huge simplification I would say do not consider relocation if you're entry level (many do - I did - but the reason is usually a girl). Above 5 yr experience it will probably start making sense. If you have 10yr and play your cards well you can live very well relocating here.

Also, buy a low-cost flight in off season and check it out for yourself at no risk.
Post edited April 30, 2018 by Brasas
mk47at: I've got an OT question as it seems you are a user of an “obscure” (for a given value of obscure) shell: Do you use bash at all? Why did you switch to mksh? Do you only use it for scripts or as a login shell?
1) Pacman uses 'bash', from what I can tell (it is a dependency, apparently). I have not yet attempted to completely purge 'bash', to see if 'dash' can be used in its place by pacman. Other than that, I do not directly, nor indirectly, interact with bash.

2) I sought to have a lean interactive shell that supports command history, as well as customized functions that are placed within a configuration file (in this case, '~/.mkshrc'). 'mksh' fulfills the purpose of a login shell (upon system boot, /usr/bin/login is set to forcibly log my user in automatically, without the need for a display manager, which, in turn, causes mksh to read the contents of '~/.profile', which causes 'xinit' to read '~/.xinitrc', which leads to the launching of the X-server, as well as my window manager and status monitor). It also fulfills the need of an interactive shell, while 'dash' is the main program that I use to execute scripts. Basically, minimalism fascinates me, and I believe that most programs can have their code size reduced, while still remaining practical for daily use; so, I chose mksh (for now).

3) I use 'mksh' as a login shell, as well as executing commands interactively within my terminal emulator (and sometimes in the framebuffer, when an nvidia kernel module update goes awry). All scripts that I create are written in a POSIX-compliant manner (without 'bashisms') and executed by 'dash'. '/usr/bin/sh' redirects to '/usr/bin/dash', as opposed to the current Artix/Arch default of the '/usr/bin/sh' -> '/usr/bin/bash' symbolic link. 'dash' is quite a bit more responsive than 'bash' at executing scripts, just as 'mksh' is quite a bit faster than 'bash' at executing commands interactively within the terminal emulator/framebuffer.
high rated
phaolo: How can a company remain understaffed for 3+ years is beyond me.. O_o
Why they continue to avoid non-residents employees even with such a bad situation?
I've been looking for an experienced FreeBSD tech with some work in PHP/MySQL programs for well over 5 years.

All the local community college and universities are pumping out are Windows techs who just click on buttons.
Johny.: There is a new option in privacy settings to hide your profile from the public.
...but anyone will be able to see what is there simply by pulling up the url in Google cache.

The 404 page needs a nonindex.
Palestine: https://www.gog.com/u/Lifthrasil redirects to https://www.gog.com/404 as expected.

Comes right up in Google cache.
Post edited April 30, 2018 by drmike
drmike: Comes right up in Google cache.
Exactly. That's the kind of issues that are caused by doing it the GOG way.
drmike: The 404 page needs a nonindex.
Palestine: https://www.gog.com/u/Lifthrasil redirects to https://www.gog.com/404 as expected.

Fck. So they didn't actually fix it, they just put a poster over it? Why am I not surprised.
Palestine:
Thank you.
Lifthrasil: Fck. So they didn't actually fix it, they just put a poster over it? Why am I not surprised.
What are you actually talking about ? Google cache, as it's name indicates, is a, well, a "cache".

That being said, given that profiles are only visible to Gog members I don't really see how it could have been cached by Google, and trying to do a query in the cache for your profile didn't return anything to me.
Lifthrasil: Fck. So they didn't actually fix it, they just put a poster over it? Why am I not surprised.
If a web crawler (such as one of Google's) visited a GOG user profile prior to it being disabled, and proceeds to cache said page, this is now outside of GOG's control (since GOG neglected to request that robots not index the profile pages in the first place). This happens with countless other websites, as well. That said, your profile, since you currently have it disabled, can not currently be retrieved by visiting https://www.gog.com/u/Lifthrasil as it is simply not reachable, so the error page is displayed. The profile page does still internally exist, though (for the day when we 'come to our senses' or something in that same vein).

Anyway, I do hope that GOG plans to gray-out the [View Profile] option for disabled profiles, as they do for the [View Wishlist] link when a user chooses to set their wishlist to private.