It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I tried to get the high resolution patch going, but it doesn't work and only gives me this error (in title). I actually was able to run it with the high resolution mod the first time I installed it, but it ran as a tiny window in the middle of my screen. So I reinstalled everything and now I get this error no matter what I do. And yes, I am pretty sure I have done almost everything that was recommened in the forums (at least accessible by the search function, which doesn't capture everything).
Edit: I figured out that when I rename the ddraw.dll file, it works but as a tiny window.
Post edited October 05, 2008 by Alai
This question / problem has been solved by kafarimage
Alai: Edit: I figured out that when I rename the ddraw.dll file, it works but as a tiny window.

Did you get past the main menu? I thought I have same problem but as it turns out that screen is so small only in the main menu :-)
what I had to do was update my video card drivers to fix it, try updating that and see if the window is bigger?
Alai: I tried to get the high resolution patch going, but it doesn't work and only gives me this error (in title). I actually was able to run it with the high resolution mod the first time I installed it, but it ran as a tiny window in the middle of my screen. So I reinstalled everything and now I get this error no matter what I do. And yes, I am pretty sure I have done almost everything that was recommened in the forums (at least accessible by the search function, which doesn't capture everything).
Edit: I figured out that when I rename the ddraw.dll file, it works but as a tiny window.

it's because the high resolution patch defaults to your current screen resolution.
-open the .ini file (f1_res.ini)
-you should see this line -- "AUTO_SCRN_SIZE = 1"
-change that "1" to a "0"
-scroll down a bit and you should see "SCR_WIDTH =" and "SCR_HEIGHT ="
-if you have a widescreen monitor, i recommend changing them to 800x600. if you have a regular monitor, 640x480 will be fine.
that should do it. (hopefully i have this right... i'm at work and going off of memory).
Post edited October 09, 2008 by illegalyouth
I installed the highres patch and then deleted ddraw.dll
I was having the same problem and I had already tried fiddling with the INI file with no luck. I had set it not to default to my desktop res and instead to do 800x600. However, I still got the message every time.
I then tried deleting the file "ddraw.dll" as the poster above suggested and everything seems to be working now.
I am not quite sure why it started to work, but hey, don't fix it if it ain't broken.
Post edited October 10, 2008 by Philosophytutor
I had the same issues. I installed the "TeamX patch 1.2 (to my Fallout 1 GOG Version)" and then the "Fallout1 High Resolution Patch v3.0.6" ...

I got the same errors like the others. BUT after I renamed the ddraw.dll it works now without any issues on my Windows XP Sp2 VMWare.
CreganTur: I installed the highres patch and then deleted ddraw.dll
I was having the same problem and this solved my issue. One thing to note is that you don't need to install the highres patch. Just deleting ddraw.dll makes it work.