It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hi...

I recently started playing Fallout games ( 1,2+ tactics) again , on new pc with win 10 pro
The games used to run well on XP32 bits and win7 64 bits cause the compatibilty settings were much better.

Main problem is: CPU usage is just to high and GPU (gtx750) is too low ( GPU should be under heavy load)

see attachment: screenshot1.jpg
Attachments:
Post edited September 04, 2020 by gamesfreak64
This question / problem has been solved by Schwertzimage
gamesfreak64: GPU should be under heavy load
No, it should not. From about the moment DirectX 8 was released all strain of the 2d acceleration has been moved from GPU to CPU. Also Fallout s 1 and 2 are DirectX 3 games AFAIR and do most of the graphics work on CPU even when GPU acceleration is available. Moreover internal scripting machine of these games is rather hungry for CPU resources as well. And it is not parallelable at all. Unicore executables. Just play old games on the proper operation systems.
Post edited September 05, 2020 by Schwertz
gamesfreak64: GPU should be under heavy load
Schwertz: No, it should not. From about the moment DirectX 8 was released all strain of the 2d acceleration has been moved from GPU to CPU. Also Fallout s 1 and 2 are DirectX 3 games AFAIR and do most of the graphics work on CPU even when GPU acceleration is available. Moreover internal scripting machine of these games is rather hungry for CPU resources as well. And it is not parallelable at all. Unicore executables. Just play old games on the proper operation systems.
Thanks for the quick reply.

So basically it is okay that old games put a load on the CPU because of the old DirectX 3 and 5.

This would explain why Commandos games also put a heavy load on CPU under XP and win7 , although the load was nowhere as high as under win 10 on my 9700K.

The CPU load is a lot higher on the gog versions cause it has higher resolution options and lots of lag under win 10 on my 9700k then on my old quad core running win7 64 bits.

Anyway the cooling is 400% better on my new setup , and as long as the temps stay low it seems a heavy load is okay according to many search results i got when Googling for high koad during gaming, so i guess i just have to get used that old games put all the load on CPU.

Problem solved .... thank you i marked it as solved ....
Post edited September 05, 2020 by gamesfreak64
If we are speaking about old games in general, it's not just DirectX but general code design a well. Old code was designed to sqeeze every last bit of the perfomance out of the single processor core. A relatively slow core by nowadays standart. And games were just not designed to share spare calculational resources. Because doing so slows down the main process, and spare resources are effectively non-existent anyway.
When processors became much faster, spare processor time increased dramatically, but old games still not share it. Neither really require it. And therefore just roll dud cycles dozens times faster then before. That is what you see as an extreme processor core utilization. And yes, that is normal when you run old games on a modern hardware
You can try to limit processor utilization for a given process with some third-party throttling tools. This will cool down the CPU.
Schwertz: If we are speaking about old games in general, it's not just DirectX but general code design a well. Old code was designed to sqeeze every last bit of the perfomance out of the single processor core. A relatively slow core by nowadays standart. And games were just not designed to share spare calculational resources. Because doing so slows down the main process, and spare resources are effectively non-existent anyway.
When processors became much faster, spare processor time increased dramatically, but old games still not share it. Neither really require it. And therefore just roll dud cycles dozens times faster then before. That is what you see as an extreme processor core utilization. And yes, that is normal when you run old games on a modern hardware
You can try to limit processor utilization for a given process with some third-party throttling tools. This will cool down the CPU.
Thanks for explaining things, now i know for sure it's related to the old games , i 'fixed'' a few old games(and new casual games ( dated from 2017)

By reducing FPS in Nvidea panel , but those game did use some GPU (10-30%) , reducing it for Commandos and Fallout and even for Red alert and command and conquer ( classics) gave negative results, because they only use CPU.

Anyway they ran well on the very old pc ( 100mhz and on Pentium 2 and P3).
gamesfreak64: Anyway they ran well on the very old pc ( 100mhz and on Pentium 2 and P3).
This effect became vary clearly visible when Intel dropped P4 development and introduces 'Core' architecture with more then one core on a chip. But some even older games from 286/386/486 were giving inadequately high CPU load starting from P1.

--- Update ---

BTW GOG's Fallout and Fallout 2 come with Mash's High Resolution Patch pre-installed. Check f1_res.ini and f2_res.ini respectively for the CPU_USAGE_FIX parameter. It should be set to 1 to minimize undesired CPU load.
Post edited September 05, 2020 by Schwertz
gamesfreak64: Anyway they ran well on the very old pc ( 100mhz and on Pentium 2 and P3).
Schwertz: This effect became vary clearly visible when Intel dropped P4 development and introduces 'Core' architecture with more then one core on a chip. But some even older games from 286/386/486 were giving inadequately high CPU load starting from P1.

--- Update ---

BTW GOG's Fallout and Fallout 2 come with Mash's High Resolution Patch pre-installed. Check f1_res.ini and f2_res.ini respectively for the CPU_USAGE_FIX parameter. It should be set to 1 to minimize undesired CPU load.
okay , i didn't know that ... will try and see what happens, thank you.