It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello,
I cannot launch fallout 2 - i am getting this "error initializing video mode 640x480" message when I try to run the game. Any solutions?
Thanks,
PJ
I was getting the same error on my laptop using an Intel 945gma driver.
I updated drivers, and installed the resolution mod, then rebooted and it works fine. I suggest updating your drivers, and checking out that mod.
Just get the resolution mod. Should fix it.
ertertwert: Just get the resolution mod. Should fix it.

I don't know, because I had the resolution mod prior to updating my drivers. maybe for some reason I just needed to reboot after installing the resolution mod? doesn't make sense that I'd have to. but after installing the resolution mod and updating my drivers it did work, so try it his way, I know I did, and if it doesn't work, like it didn't in my situation, try updating your drivers.
ertertwert: Just get the resolution mod. Should fix it.
Weclock: I don't know, because I had the resolution mod prior to updating my drivers. maybe for some reason I just needed to reboot after installing the resolution mod? doesn't make sense that I'd have to. but after installing the resolution mod and updating my drivers it did work, so try it his way, I know I did, and if it doesn't work, like it didn't in my situation, try updating your drivers.

I've tried every fix posted here and I get the same error even with the latest WHQL nvidia drivers in conjunction with the 1.2 hi res patch. It'll start OK without the hi res patch, but errors out with it installed. Help!
[EDIT] Renaming ddraw.dll fixed this issue!
Post edited September 24, 2008 by OpieSF
"Renaming ddraw.dll fixed this issue!"
This worked for me also, renamed it "dddraw.dll". No idea why it worked.
Post edited September 24, 2008 by retep
i got that but i waited about 30 min and it started. lol
Weclock: I don't know, because I had the resolution mod prior to updating my drivers. maybe for some reason I just needed to reboot after installing the resolution mod? doesn't make sense that I'd have to. but after installing the resolution mod and updating my drivers it did work, so try it his way, I know I did, and if it doesn't work, like it didn't in my situation, try updating your drivers.
OpieSF: I've tried every fix posted here and I get the same error even with the latest WHQL nvidia drivers in conjunction with the 1.2 hi res patch. It'll start OK without the hi res patch, but errors out with it installed. Help!
[EDIT] Renaming ddraw.dll fixed this issue!

The game works in 640x480 without the high res patch for me, but not with the patch. Renaming the ddraw.dll supplied with "GOG's Fallout" makes it work again.
I suspect the dll is there to make the game work with 640x480 on modern systems, as some cards cannot display graphics in that mode anymore. Someone with a better/newer computer than me would need to confirm this.
I suggest getting the high res patch and renaming the ddraw.dll file to ddraw.dll.orig or something, just in case. Read the patch's Readme file for install and config hints. I only needed to install it, then change resolution in the ini file to what I use. Uninstall is as simple as to rerun the patcher.
Alright I run the high res patch 2.2b and rename ddraw.dll to ddraw.dll.fail change the f1_res conf file
"
SCR_WIDTH=800
SCR_HEIGHT=600
;Set the number of colours here
; 8 for 8bit(original)
; 16 for 16bit colour (set only if your not using Sfall with graphics modes 4 or 5)
COLOUR_BITS=16
"
then the game will run in 800x600 but i get to the main menu and i don't get a cursor. I'm running in vmware on xp sp2, on custom install i made using nlite. anyone get the cursor issue? because i'm getting it on fallout 2 as well.
Alright the cursor is there it just moves so fast that you can't see it. I'm seeing what I can do.
Post edited February 11, 2010 by xedth2
Try copying your copy of ddraw.dll from another game, like the original Fallout perhaps?
I'm confused, I thought GOG fixed all compatibility issues?
It's certainly their intention to do so, and I've had no problems with their software. Even tricky ones that have frequent compatibility problems tend to work if they were fixed or updated by GOG, such that GOG releases are specially marked on illegal downloading sites because they're DRM-free and work better. :T
Even so, pobody's nerfect. I near UFO: Aftermath still has some trouble with some video drivers, a problem which goes back to the initial release (and, to be clear, every release in between.)
Lots of folks have no trouble with GOG's Fallout. Although it seems enough do to carry on a meaningful and helpful dialogue with each other.
I had problems with this game since I got it. First it said that the CD was needed when it was already in. I fixed this by installing the official 1.02 patch (uk) and then the Hi-res mod. it worked the first time but when I messed with the controls for fullscreen and scaling 2x it stopped working and I had to exit and the 'video mode error 640x480' came up whenever I launched the game. I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing but I found that changing some of the controls on the Hi-res configuration menu from the files I got the game to work.