It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When I first downloaded and opened Fallout 1, the game opened normally and I was able to play. Since then, however, when I try to play the game I get this message . . .
"error in initializing video mode 640x480"
What is strange is it worked the first time, now it never does.
I read some possible fixes on the message boards, but nothing works. I upgraded my video card driver to try to fix it, and set the screen to 640x480, but it still doesn't work.
I am using NVidea GEforce 8800 GT and Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit.
This is just the basic Fallout 1 game, and not a patched version.
Please help! Thanks
Post edited November 02, 2008 by kleewick
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
delete or rename ddraw.dll
I tried the fix of removing/renaming ddraw.dll and I still get the same error message "error in initializing video mode 640x480". So the ddraw solution doesn't work for me either.
Any other suggestions?
when you say you set the screen to that size, were you changing the resolution in windows or were you changing F1_ini file to change the resolution? Also, it's possible that under Vista it could be giving you that error if you're not running the program as administrator (perhaps you were running the installer as administrator and when the installer launched the program it worked then).
Eitherway, please post your fix.
Post edited November 02, 2008 by Weclock
Thanks for trying to help me Weclock.
No solution yet!
The resolution change I did was just by right clicking on desktop to change my display resolution to 640x480. I did nothing fancy by mucking around in the game files... I honestly don't even know where to find the F1_ini thing you mentioned. As for the administrator thing, Vista asks me permission to allow the game to open, and when I allow it, the game tries to open, the screen goes black, and I get the dreadful 640x480 message.
I was just starting to get into this game too (when I was able to play it after initial downloaad). Very weird that I was only able to open it successfully once.
Try right clicking on the icon and clicking on run as administrator.
I thought I would try to fix this by downloading the high-res patch. Does anyone know where to get that?
Weclock: Try right clicking on the icon and clicking on run as administrator.

Tried that about ten times now, still no luck.
O.K. Everyone who has this problem.... FINALLY, the Solution!!
Go into your game file and simply rename the executable file (the file you click to make the game start up) something else.
The file name is "falloutw". I just renamed it "falloutX", but your renaming is purely arbitrary. You can call it anything.
I found the answer somewhere in here . . .
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_from_gog_com_high_resolution_pack_problem/76
Cheers,
-Kleewick
that was the last thing I was gonna suggest.