It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi all!

This game was a showcase for the Matrox G400 / G400 MAX / G450 because these cars supported hardware DirectX 6.1 Environmental Mapped Bump Mapping.

Cards included a patched version of the game and there was also a patch for the retail version.

I made a video of this game with EMBM on a Pentium III-S with a Matrox G450: http://youtu.be/F5TcQAIP_Oc

There are rumours of a patch that enables this on Nvidia cards so if someone knows more about this / a fix for the GOG.com version let us know!
Post edited February 17, 2015 by philscomputerlab
Mau1wurf1977: Hi all!

This game was a showcase for the Matrox G400 / G400 MAX / G450 because these cars supported hardware DirectX 6.1 Environmental Mapped Bump Mapping.

Cards included a patched version of the game and there was also a patch for the retail version.

I made a video of this game with EMBM on a Pentium III-S with a Matrox G450: http://youtu.be/F5TcQAIP_Oc

There are rumours of a patch that enables this on Nvidia cards so if someone knows more about this / a fix for the GOG.com version let us know!
This was one reason the game looked good for its time, and a major reason I bought it yet again :-(
I had a Rendition Verite-based card [before they were closed by Micron (who simply wanted their fab) and the guys went to nVidia and began to put out good cards. Then 3Dfx went down the tubes and nVidia hired them - and nVidia began to become unscrupulous ruthless salesmen putting out zero-finesse power-hungry expensive cards, just as 3Dfx had previously been :-( ] and the bumpmapping worked on that, although the Matrox cards at that time were not using Rendition tech' as earlier ones had.
So no bumpmapping on Nvidia cards? Bummer.
At least game running smoothly with 60 fps..
Well
http://redtux.rocik.net/?page=projects&sub=expendable
Awesomeness!
Have you tried it?
I'm downloading it now.
Not having the bump-mapping was off-putting for me, since most of us using different vendor API layers eventually received patches for our various vendors' chips back in the day.

edit: it specifies that it's for the "water". Tyre tracks etc. in the ground were the main thing I was concerned about.
Post edited August 28, 2016 by d3v14n7
d3v14n7: Awesomeness!
Have you tried it?
I'm downloading it now.
Not having the bump-mapping was off-putting for me, since most of us using different vendor API layers eventually received patches for our various vendors' chips back in the day.

edit: it specifies that it's for the "water". Tyre tracks etc. in the ground were the main thing I was concerned about.
Does not work for me, maybe i need to try again =)
Yeah, it's not working for me either. Gives an error saying the BDF is missing.

[Edit as of 11/24/2016]

Ok, so this rat scurried around the net lookin' for info. Apparently the hacked EMBM patch actually needs a No-CD patch of its own The patch expects a proper CD-Installed copy of the game, and for the CD to be inserted into the drive to work. So unfortunately until GoG can find a way to work in that patch AND make it so "go.exe" doesn't need its current requirements, we'll have to do with basic bump mapping.
Post edited November 24, 2016 by NightSprinter
Bump! Maybe somebody already finds a way?
Post edited October 09, 2019 by KainXVIII
KainXVIII: Bump! Maybe somebody already finds a way?
Yep, I've prepared new patch for GOG release, see here: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40416&p=826605#p826605 :)
Tuxality: Yep, I've prepared new patch for GOG release, see here: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40416&p=826605#p826605 :)
Fantastic, will try your patch!
I've made it work with the gog patch found on http://redtux.rocik.net/?page=projects&sub=expendable, creating a desktop shortcut, using "properties" and pasting -nocputest after destination and starting the game with that exact shortcut.

Just did it today and it worked for me, I got the EVMBM water very clearly! Now I'd love to find a patch to make it work on all supported games. I remember a press release saying the geforce FX series actually embedded that feature in their cards (so you'd expect it'd be in there from then forward) but expendable specifically searched for matrox files in order to make it work.

Also, the gog file in the link in an alpha patch, so there may be problems.

I also read that ATI would incude it since the radeon 8500 series. I myself own a macbook pro mid 2015 with ati radeon R9M 370x, an obscure chip, probably designed around the desktop R9 270x but with DX12 support, and I suspect metal and vulcan as well but I can't for the life of me find a list of features so I can't tell for sure. I don't know on the top of my head which other games are supported but I know that dungeon keeper 2 did with the lava. Not sure if the matrox check is on there but I can't find a patch for it to work and when I try it I don't see it working (yet).

Do take a look at the poster a few posts above that claims he made a workable gog version, it might not be in the same alpha stage as the first link. Anyway, thanks to that creator :)
Aartsbok: I've made it work with the gog patch found on http://redtux.rocik.net/?page=projects&sub=expendable, creating a desktop shortcut, using "properties" and pasting -nocputest after destination and starting the game with that exact shortcut.

Just did it today and it worked for me, I got the EVMBM water very clearly! Now I'd love to find a patch to make it work on all supported games. I remember a press release saying the geforce FX series actually embedded that feature in their cards (so you'd expect it'd be in there from then forward) but expendable specifically searched for matrox files in order to make it work.

Also, the gog file in the link in an alpha patch, so there may be problems.

I also read that ATI would incude it since the radeon 8500 series. I myself own a macbook pro mid 2015 with ati radeon R9M 370x, an obscure chip, probably designed around the desktop R9 270x but with DX12 support, and I suspect metal and vulcan as well but I can't for the life of me find a list of features so I can't tell for sure. I don't know on the top of my head which other games are supported but I know that dungeon keeper 2 did with the lava. Not sure if the matrox check is on there but I can't find a patch for it to work and when I try it I don't see it working (yet).

Do take a look at the poster a few posts above that claims he made a workable gog version, it might not be in the same alpha stage as the first link. Anyway, thanks to that creator :)
I bought the game from GOG. My first run inside of Lutris/Wine was successful. I will try to use your patch. I will add a feedback in here with your EMBM enabled.

I found your patch as an attachment