It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi,
I'm trying to get EU: Rome started with the mod "Reign of the Ancients".
I followed the instructions from the forum:
( https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/reign-of-the-ancients-download-and-readme.440660/ ).
When I start up the game, I first experience the extermely long loading time, but when I finally reach the main menu and try to start a new game, the game crashes without proper description of the problem.
Do I need another version of EU: Rome than the one offered here to play the mod?
Thanks

p.s.: If anybody knows other great mods - especially for enhanced realism - I'm very interested to hear your opinions!
Post edited April 17, 2015 by Wolfram_von_Thal
Wolfram_von_Thal: Hi,
I'm trying to get EU: Rome started with the mod "Reign of the Ancients".
I followed the instructions from the forum:
( https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/reign-of-the-ancients-download-and-readme.440660/ ).
When I start up the game, I first experience the extermely long loading time, but when I finally reach the main menu and try to start a new game, the game crashes without proper description of the problem.
Do I need another version of EU: Rome than the one offered here to play the mod?
Thanks

p.s.: If anybody knows other great mods - especially for enhanced realism - I'm very interested to hear your opinions!
Ah Wiz's 'patch' yea, the post makes no mention of the 'mod' folder, so common to all PDS titles, which should exist in the base directory. If it's a mod, and it is, it should go in there, if not create it manually. Be sure to have the correct patch applied. iirc its a beta one.

o7

Edit: If this doesn't work, create the mod folder in "mydocs" instead.
Post edited April 29, 2015 by SeamusAndroid
Running into the exact same problem as Wolfram. Here is what I did:

- Installing EU:Rome
- Applying the latest patch
- Installing the mod
- deleting the map cache content as described
- starting the game by using the launcher and choosing rise of the ancients as mod

SeamusAndroid - Are you sure it's the same with EU:R? I know what you mean but reading the description over at the paradox forums I figure you have to replace certain original files and can't go back to playing vanilla after that.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by chefsessel
Thank you for your answers, gentlemen. I'm playing the game with the other great mod, Epigony, at the moment. I can highly recommend it as it enhances the game greatly.
Wolfram, I got RoA to work on my Win 7 system. Here is how:

- I completly wiped (uninstalled) the previous installation from my hard disk
- I installed the GOG version with default path settings
- I extracted the latest patch (I think 2.36b or something), overwriting the files in the rome directory
- I extracted RoA, copying it into the Rome directory (NOT THE MOD FOLDER) replacing many original files
- I went into the map/cache folder and deleted the paths. (NOT THE CONTENT OF THE PROVINCE TEXTURES FOLDER)

Upon startup it took my machine about 2 minutes to create the new path and stuff, but I just started a new game playing as a British tribe and 20 minutes into the game, everything seems to work well so far. (except one of the info screens has a transparent background, but nothing one can't cope with)

Thought I would share this in case you'd still like to give RoA a try.
Hey,
sorry for the late reply. That's great! I'll try it out for myself soon.
Thanks!
chefsessel: Wolfram, I got RoA to work on my Win 7 system. Here is how:

- I completly wiped (uninstalled) the previous installation from my hard disk
- I installed the GOG version with default path settings
- I extracted the latest patch (I think 2.36b or something), overwriting the files in the rome directory
- I extracted RoA, copying it into the Rome directory (NOT THE MOD FOLDER) replacing many original files
- I went into the map/cache folder and deleted the paths. (NOT THE CONTENT OF THE PROVINCE TEXTURES FOLDER)

Upon startup it took my machine about 2 minutes to create the new path and stuff, but I just started a new game playing as a British tribe and 20 minutes into the game, everything seems to work well so far. (except one of the info screens has a transparent background, but nothing one can't cope with)

Thought I would share this in case you'd still like to give RoA a try.
I did all of the above but the game crashes when I select a starting date and launch it, the game crashes during the loading screen. I tried running it under WinXP compatibility mode but it still crashed. This sucks :(
I have a GOG version of the game on my windows 7 laptop.
So I just copied the directory to A NEW DIRECTORY - Europa Universalis - Rome RotA.

I then unzipped to a folder called RoA-2.01, (from paradox mods download forum) for convenience, containing a Reign of the Ancients folder and a Reign of the Ancients.mod file (which win7 seems to recognise as a movie clip).

I then noticed that the gog version is Vae Victus 2.32.

Downloaded the EU Rome 2.36b from GOG.com. (Patch is a seperate free download from GOG - Yippee way to go)
Copied contents overwriting and merging all, into Europa Universalis - Rome RotA root (main) directory.
Ran Rome,exe 2.36b, single player for just a few game days. (To let necessary files be created by the exe).
I renamed the cache folder to cache_vanilla (or I culd have deleted it whatever)

Changed properties of Reign of the Ancients.mod file to be readable by notepad. (RClick>properties) So it was recognised as a mod file.

Copied files inside Reign of the Ancients folder that I had unzipped and pasted them in the main game directory overwriting files. that's Europa Universalis - Rome RotA for me.
In the game directory deleted all of the contents of the Rome\Map\cache\ folder, except for the province_textures folder.
Deleted all the texture files from the Rome\Map\cache\province_textures folder, keeping the empty texture folder.
Copied Reign of the Ancients folder and Image file and pasted it into the mod folder.
Seems redundant I know but that is what I was advised.
Used the game launcher to start up, picking the Mod from the drop down list.
Started the game.
It worked.
IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!
Post edited May 31, 2016 by SenniTreborius
SenniTreborius: I have a GOG version of the game on my windows 7 laptop.
So I just copied the directory to A NEW DIRECTORY - Europa Universalis - Rome RotA.
I renamed the cache folder to cache_vanilla
I then unzipped to a folder called RoA-2.01, (from paradox mods download forum) for convenience, containing a Reign of the Ancients folder and a Reign of the Ancients.mod file (which win7 seems to recognise as a movie clip).

I then noticed that the gog version is Vae Victus 2.32.

Downloaded the EU Rome 2.36b from GOG.com. (Patch is a seperate free download from GOG - Yippee way to go)
Copied contents overwriting and merging all, into Europa Universalis - Rome RotA root (main) directory.
Ran Rome,exe 2.36b, single player for just a few game days. (To let necessary files be created by the exe).
I renamed the cache folder to cache_vanilla

Changed properties of Reign of the Ancients.mod file to be readable by notpad. (RClick>properties) So it was recognised as a mod file.

Copied files inside Reign of the Ancients folder that I had unzipped and pasted them in the game directory overwriting files.
In the game directory deleted all of the contents of the Rome\Map\cache\ folder, except for the province_textures folder.
Deleted all the texture files from the Rome\Map\cache\province_textures folder, keeping the empty texture folder.
Copied Reign of the Ancients folder and Image file and pasted it into the mod folder.
Seems redundant I know but that is what I was advised.
Used the game launcher to start up, picking the Mod from the drop down list.
Started the game.
It worked.
IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!
That seems needlessly baroque.
SenniTreborius: I have ...
IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!
alcaray: That seems needlessly baroque.
This information was culled from a 23 page thread-post where people seemed to expect one to know somethings. I just did that I found out, and it works. Basicly my computer literacy is at the stage of wondering where the coal goes. And what was wrong with horses anyway, damned auto-mobiles.
You have my respect.
Thank you, SenniTreborius! Your installation method works perfectly, and I'm now able to enjoy Reign of the Ancients!
Wolfram_von_Thal: I'm playing the game with the other great mod, Epigony, at the moment. I can highly recommend it as it enhances the game greatly.
Would like to try the mod but I`m embarrassed to admit that I could not find it on the Internet. Could someone provide a link, please? :)
Wolfram_von_Thal: I'm playing the game with the other great mod, Epigony, at the moment. I can highly recommend it as it enhances the game greatly.
Niezborny: Would like to try the mod but I`m embarrassed to admit that I could not find it on the Internet. Could someone provide a link, please? :)
I entered "epigony mod rome", it's the first search result in google. ;) Here is the link, have fun! :)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/download-thread-get-the-latest-version-here.464453/
Post edited April 11, 2017 by Wolfram_von_Thal
Niezborny: Would like to try the mod but I`m embarrassed to admit that I could not find it on the Internet. Could someone provide a link, please? :)
Wolfram_von_Thal: I entered "epigony mod rome", it's the first search result in google. ;) Here is the link, have fun! :)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/download-thread-get-the-latest-version-here.464453/
Thank you for your quick and kind reply :)