It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello everybody! If someone bought this game, please tell us, whether the computer AI is normal and computer really tries to win :) I ask this question, because I encountered a crippled version (believe it was from Zuxxez) of this game, and it was deliberately changed into something very dumb, like a body without spirit. ("to make the game easier").
Thanks a lot for the info, I intend to buy it...
This question / problem has been solved by klaymenimage
I too am greatly hoping that they fix this problem. Hopefully the admin who commented in this post will be as good as his word and get back to us.
Any news on this getting fixed? I would love to check this game out but I don't want to shell out on a dumbed-down version - even on promo.
Ahh... I bought it some time ago, remembering times I played this in the past but I didn't have a chance to try it so far. I hope this issue gets resolved, e.g. by supplying an additional DOS version. I know it might be hard because of some ownership rights.

Anyway, I agree with others you should put a warning near the description of the game.
Ok, I wanted to buy this game cause of weekend sale, but if it´s still broken and nothing is happening to fix the AI bug...I cant´t simply buy it, can I...please, look into it, GoG team...pretty please...
Majorus.cz: ...but if it´s still broken and nothing is happening to fix the AI bug...I cant´t simply buy it, can I...please, look into it, GoG team...pretty please...
It still appears to be broken, i recently bought to and the AI is unresponsive to say the least.

I hope this game gets a fix, or a Dev posts here so we can point them towards the issues we are facing as it's over two years since we had anything but a "we'll investigate this" post, the latest of which was in March, with no follow up.

I'm guessing though that all this time without a fix means the original source code to the game is lost or permission to create a fix still hasn't been obtained.
Post edited August 03, 2011 by JacobD88
JacobD88: I'm guessing though that all this time without a fix means the original source code to the game is lost or permission to create a fix still hasn't been obtained.
You could well be right about the source code being missing because I found it odd that GOG informed me (when I emailed them) that they didn't have the rights to the DOS version. Perhaps they ment to say the rights to the DOS version's source code?

If that is indeed the case, then sadly all is lost. There is a lesson to be learned here though. A case such as this highlights how important it is to preserve gaming past greats.

With Earth 2140, possibly all that it really was is lost forever. What a shame.

I hate to say this but, I think GOG should just pull the game from its catalogue unless some miracle happens that allows them to release a proper fixed version.

In any case, I can't recommend the game to anyone in its present state I am very sad to say :(

Here, have a look at this review http://www.warriorlabs.net/index.php?/blog/17/entry-46-the-fall-of-earth-2140/
Post edited August 29, 2011 by Geraldine
Geraldine: You could well be right about the source code being missing because I found it odd that GOG informed me (when I emailed them) that they didn't have the rights to the DOS version. Perhaps they ment to say the rights to the DOS version's source code?
GOG don't get access to source code, only the games. This is because GOG do not alter the source code for the games at all. The only work that GOG carry out on the games is to get them running on modern OSes by use of executable wrappers to force certain parameters, compatibility, etc, or by using DOSBox for old DOS games, SCUMMVM, that kind of thing. On extremely rare occasions there have been updates released by GOG to fix a game but I don't know the details of them. Certainly they don't get source code, though, which is why GOG told you that they don't have the rights to the DOS version of the game and so cannot sell it.
korell: Certainly they don't get source code, though, which is why GOG told you that they don't have the rights to the DOS version of the game and so cannot sell it.
That's what I thought, although I hoped I was wrong.
The game would need major work to bring the AI back up to the early game's standard. The only way to do this would be by modding the game's source code. Without that, then all is lost :(

I was on the Zuxxez forums a while back and there is no interest from them in doing a patch. If they released the code, perhaps a community based effort could attempt a fix?
Does anyone know where the AI files are kept? I'm wandering if i was able to acquire a copy of the old non-nerfed game from my brother if i could simply overwrite the offending AI files in the gog version?

This whole situation is stupid, even if gog lacks the rights to the source code, why are they not, at least, attempting to get hold of an earlier version if they are going to continue selling the game?
JacobD88: Does anyone know where the AI files are kept? I'm wandering if i was able to acquire a copy of the old non-nerfed game from my brother if i could simply overwrite the offending AI files in the gog version?

This whole situation is stupid, even if gog lacks the rights to the source code, why are they not, at least, attempting to get hold of an earlier version if they are going to continue selling the game?
Not sure that'll work. The retail release of the Windows version also had the broken AI. Only the DOS version has the working AI. If you can get the DOS version you might be able to try and copy the AI files over (if there are any) but that isn't guaranteed to work.
korell: Not sure that'll work ... Only the DOS version has the working AI. If you can get the DOS version you might be able to try and copy the AI files over (if there are any) but that isn't guaranteed to work.
I doubt it too, but i really want to give it a go; i just need to know where the AI data is stored; i doubt its in the main EXE...

No worries on the DOS copy front, that's what my bro has...
JacobD88: Does anyone know where the AI files are kept? I'm wandering if i was able to acquire a copy of the old non-nerfed game from my brother if i could simply overwrite the offending AI files in the gog version?
Interesting. Do let us know how you get on with that. Even those of us without access to the DOS version could benefit if GOG can do the same thing :)

Also even if it does not work, that could still be useful to know as at least we could see how difficult it would be to fix the game.
HURRAYYYYYYYYYYY DOS 2140 IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
... i have to thank GOG.com for their effort in this matter!
Post edited February 19, 2012 by Joe SO
cool, i may have to give this a look if DOS version is running. Nice one GOG.